Valentenko, Emelin

thehabbit

I havent heard much about these two players for a long time. Just wondering if anyone has some good info on how they are playing.

I haven't heard a lot about these two guys. Valentenko is playing in Hamilton and I believe is he is starting to get comfortable in his surroundings. He is getting more ice time as well as time on the PP.

Emelin is playing for AK Bars in the Russian league and doing ok. He was in the centre of a bench clearing brawl last week and I think he got suspended as a result.

That is all I know.

I havent heard much about these two players for a long time. Just wondering if anyone has some good info on how they are playing.

I can only tell you about what I've read about Valentenko.

He's going to be a bit of a project,very undisciplined going

for a big hit all the time or joining the rush when he shouldn't.

He's supposed to have been playing better of late, but still

making to many mistakes. He'll probably need another year

before we see him for a few games.

I heard he got injuried last night stopping a slapshot with the

back of his head with a 3 goal lead late in the game. Not a

smart move, hope he's ok but I suspect he might have a

concussion.

The Emelin-triggered brawl was a real spectacle. Some insane sh*t-kicking, including a beating of one t**ser who threw someone's chest protector into their bench. I suspect he won't be doing that for a while yet.

Nutty brawl, a must-see for all and one.

Emelin knocks down a goal-scorer right after his goal, but there must have been something to trigger it. Not really sure that's the 'toughness' we'd be looking for. However, most of those players look like pardoned convicts from the Gulag, so Emelin at least must have a pair.

Valentenko is starting to come along in Hamilton, he started out being too physical which was taking him out of position but now he seems to be picking his spots better. He's got a cannon of a shot but doesn't use it much. He's been starting to pick up the points lately, after having only 2 assists in his first 21 games, now he's had 3 pts in the last 3 games. But I wouldn't expect him to ever be known for his offensive skills, as he will be known for his tough physical play.

Emelin has had all sorts of drama going on around him in the past year or two. He ended up taking his former team Lada to court after not being paid salaries owed, he signed a contract with AK Bars and it came out he had 2 agents. Now with AK Bars things continue on a strange path. The team struggles in a big way, Emelin sees time mostly on the 3rd pairing, gets cut from the National team for Euro Tour but makes the RSL All Stars. His production has really dropped as he has only 1 pt in 40 games this year when 2 years ago he was the top scoring defensemen on his team with 6 goals and 12 pts and 129 pims in 43 games. He is currently suspended for 4 games, it's his 2nd suspension in the RSL as he was suspended in the playoffs 2 years ago.

here is the link for the brawl

what # wears Emelin ?

I love scraps. Not saying I want the Habs in anything like this but it is fun to watch. While I was trying to figure out Emelin's number I found this. Seems like a real headcase, but may be just what the Habs need. These kinds of guys can really throw teams off their game. I hope he comes over real soon. He's a mean, mean mother f@^%ker.

"What easily ranks as the biggest controversy so far in this year's Russian Super League playoffs happened during the quarterfinal series between Metallurg Mg and Lada Togliatti. In Game One of that series, Metallurg team captain Evgeni Varlamov accidentally struck Lada's Alexei Emelin with the puck. When Varlamov went over to Emelin to apologize, Emelin swung his stick and knocked Varlamov unconcious. Emelin later claimed that he only meant to shove Varlamov away from him in anger; meanwhile, despite remaining unconcious overnight, Varlamov returned to play only 10 days later. Varlamov also forgave Emelin and refused to take legal action."

http://beanballinc.blogspot.com/2006/04/ak...in-russian.html

I don't think Emelin will ever come over but if he does, I'll be happy. He would be a huge pain for Leafs fans though I think we'd love to route for him even if he does some dirty stuff.

I don't think Emelin will ever come over but if he does, I'll be happy. He would be a huge pain for Leafs fans though I think we'd love to route for him even if he does some dirty stuff.

Imagine him playing 20 mins with komisarek. I think It'd be a pain for all the teams !!! :lol:

"What easily ranks as the biggest controversy so far in this year's Russian Super League playoffs happened during the quarterfinal series between Metallurg Mg and Lada Togliatti. In Game One of that series, Metallurg team captain Evgeni Varlamov accidentally struck Lada's Alexei Emelin with the puck. When Varlamov went over to Emelin to apologize, Emelin swung his stick and knocked Varlamov unconcious. Emelin later claimed that he only meant to shove Varlamov away from him in anger; meanwhile, despite remaining unconcious overnight, Varlamov returned to play only 10 days later. Varlamov also forgave Emelin and refused to take legal action."

http://beanballinc.blogspot.com/2006/04/ak...in-russian.html

Wow, sounds like a dirty b*stard. I don't really think that's the type of guy we want on our team, but who knows what he's like in person.

Wow, sounds like a dirty b*stard. I don't really think that's the type of guy we want on our team, but who knows what he's like in person.

Yeah, that story is about a year old, it was a cheapshot. Emelin gets a lot of comparisons to Kasparaitis.

But imagine our defence:

Markov, Komisarek, Hamrlik, O'Byrne, Emelin, Bouillon/Gorges!

We'd become the new Flyers.

Emelin does bring an aggressive and physical dimension that the Habs could have more on their blue line. I mean don't get me wrong, I love Komisarek but if he continues to give priority to give body checks over sound defensive play, people will just undress him the same way Dubinsky did last night.

I think your wrong.

He will be here this summer.

I think your wrong.

He will be here this summer.

I've been reading about his situation and apparently the only reason why he signed with AK Bars last summer was because his agent didn't tell him the Habs had made an offer and once he found out, it was too late. That's good news, because he says he still really wants to come over. I just won't get too excited about it because we were expecting it last summer and it didn't happen.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you are right. If he can control himself just a little and not cost us games with foolishness a loose cannon like Emelin is what the Habs need. It will most definitely give us a new and much needed dimension.

Id love to have a Darius Kasparaitis-nasty player as long as he can play safe and secured D.

• 2 weeks later...

well if it means that hossa signs a 3-4 year extension with the club, I'm more than willing to trade. if not, no thank you !!

On the Team 990, Pierre McGuire said that he would NOT trade Emelin for Hossa straight up. He says Emelin has the potential to be better than Markov!

Imagine if that works out!

Pierre has a massive hard on for the Habs now.

Emelin was in Sweden today for the Sweden-Russia game in The Globe Arena. LG Hockey Games has just begun and Russia beat Sweden 4-3. Emelin was solid, even if he took two bad penalties. In my opinion Kostantin Korneev was just as interesting. Do the Habs still hold the rights to him?

The game was one of the better played this season. Eremenko in goal was brilliant.