Time is now to make trade.

peihabs

Rumors has it that both Tanguay and Marleau is beeing shoped around.

Marleau is a franshise player and in my opinion Gainey should try to get him even if it means that Saku will be traded. Im also thinking that Streit could be worth more than most think. Trading Saku to San Jose would also reunite him with his friend Rivet. Their salary is about equal but San Jose would of course be interested in more. A first round pick, the rights to Alexander Perezhogin and Jaroslav Halak. At the same time the Sharks could dump whatever deadwood they have. Curtis Brown?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a problem here, both Ryder and Higgins are playing like ass this season. Neither is finishing and Koivu is left to flap in the wind with poor wingers just like Plekanec had last year. Koivu is setting up Higgins every other play and fighting for puck control and it's for not as Higgins just shoots into the pads or crest.

Koivu needs a legitamite 1st line winger/sniper now more than ever. Hell he has needed one for the past 5 years. Thats the biggest trade this team has needed but never gets done. Koivu wont be going anywhere, we are in the playoff hunt and not about to trade off our captain.

though I think you're being a *little* harsh on Higgins, I agree with your defence of Koivu...

...that Streit could be worth more than most think...
ch_nl, this is not a jab against (sometimes when one gets a quote/response it's to criticize or point out an error - this is not the case now) you or anyone in particular. More of a general point. Bob McKenzie last year said that in his opinion, Streit would be a number 3 or 4 on almost half of the teams in the NHL. So, it's absolutely true he may be more worthy than we think.

This brings me to a point I'd like to make. That is, it's amusing how often fans look at trades and player worth on a pound for pound basis. Back before the lockout, this style of thinking worked. Back before the lockout, a deal involving Andy MacDonald for Doug Weight would not have occured or would have been HIGHLY unlikely.

From time to time some fans mention proposals. How about this player for that one etc. Most of the time we employ the pound for pound mentality. Thus, when someone says that Dandenault (example) has no worth on the market in a trade, I have to ask - "How do you know"?

From Montreal's perspective and when you examine our depth, one tends to grade players and their stock or value is appraised based on OUR depth chart. But that same player may have a higher rank on another teams' depth chart.

I find it hilarious reading on this borad or another one about how a player has no worth or this team would want more than what is proposed. Most of the time the pound for pound thinking works (eg. Getting Tanguay would take more than Ryder-an opinion I do share) but no one should be surprised if we get more than we may think for some particular player(s).

Did anyone expect Rivet to get us a pick (Pacioretty) and Gorges?

GP46....G5....A17....PTS22....(+/-) -4....PIM78....SHOTS74....SH%6.76 = Rivet to date.

GP48....G6....A25....PTS31....(+/-) -8....PIM12....SHOTS97....SH%6.19 = Streit to date.

I don't see a whopping difference here except that Rivet is far more gritty. But, at the end of the day Streit seems to have some good stock.

GP46....G5....A17....PTS22....(+/-) -4....PIM78....SHOTS74....SH%6.76 = Rivet to date.

GP48....G6....A25....PTS31....(+/-) -8....PIM12....SHOTS97....SH%6.19 = Streit to date.

I don't see a whopping difference here except that Rivet is far more gritty. But, at the end of the day Streit seems to have some good stock.

Let's not forget that Streit's numbers are somewhat overinflated because he has played a good 15 games as a forward. WHich helps him get more points!

As far as trading players goes, the biggest difference since the lockout is that MONEY plays a much bigger role in trades.

Before the cap era, teams could take on huge salaries no-problem! But now, with every team working with the same salary cap, you can'T trade a player making 7.8 million$ per year for 2 players making 1.5 million$ per year. At least it doesn'T happen very often!

Rumors has it that both Tanguay and Marleau is beeing shoped around.

Marleau is a franshise player and in my opinion Gainey should try to get him even if it means that Saku will be traded. Im also thinking that Streit could be worth more than most think. Trading Saku to San Jose would also reunite him with his friend Rivet. Their salary is about equal but San Jose would of course be interested in more. A first round pick, the rights to Alexander Perezhogin and Jaroslav Halak. At the same time the Sharks could dump whatever deadwood they have. Curtis Brown?

It's silly to think at this point in a successful year Gainey is considering trading Koivu. Perezoghin? I don't think anyone is looking at a player that doesn't want to be in America unless he's making over a million dollars, and hasn't proved he can earn it yet. We think Halak has great value probably more then anybody else does. I doubt Gainey is dangling our first rounder to anyone. So unless you add a name like Higgins ,Komi, Kosty I'm sure San Jose will get a better return from another team. Geez, I'm starting to sound like Spector, but at least realistic.

Let's not forget that Streit's numbers are somewhat overinflated because he has played a good 15 games as a forward. WHich helps him get more points!

His numbers are inflated because he gets so much power play time, and gets a ton of 2nd assists playing with Markov & Kovalev.

His numbers are inflated because he gets so much power play time, and gets a ton of 2nd assists playing with Markov & Kovalev.

Those 2nd assists aren't cheap, though. He makes some amazing passes and reads.

He's got something like 12 points in the past 10 games right now.

I hate trading away draft picks and/or prospects. But, I'm starting

to think that we might be getting close to the point where one elite

player makes us a legit contender.

I hope Gainey is looking onto where Forberg is at and whether he'd

be interested in joining us. As others have said small risk, high reward.

But, our one true glaring weakness is a power forward C who shoots

right and is a point a game player. There might be one available in

Sundin. Considering the depth of our farm system, I might be willing

to trade a couple of prospects and our 1st this year for Sundin.

In Sundin we know what we are getting, he's as consistant as they

come. And leaving Toronto and joining a team like ours he might

actually find out he likes it here. If the Leafs management thinks they

can trade Sundin only to have him return next year I think they're in for

a rude awakening.

There are others factors in trading for an elite player like Sundin. It

sends a message to everyone in the league that we're serious about

winning the cup. It will make UFA's think twice before dismissing us.

Anyway, this is the type of deal, that very few would expect that might

just happen. Considering our centennial year is coming up I expect

Gainey to make a impact move.

The Eastern conference is up for grabs, every team has legit weakness's

and the road straight to the finals could be one elite player away. :hlogo:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is not 'our year' like it is for Detroit, Ottawa, San Jose etc. We didn't make the playoffs last year and our team is still young and on the upswing. It's not the time to get expensive rentals, the golden age is ahead, we haven't quite reached it yet.

Was this the last time we saw Ryder on tje Koivu line? Still i hope so.

Still we cannot trade him yet because we don't need anything that is trade value can

give us. Same for Dandenault.

We will have to wait till the deadline, seing him on the 4th line or the gallery press, it's pretty expensive stuff

on with Dandenault-Ryder sitting, waiting at 1.750 000 + 2 950 000. 3 800 000...I want draft picks.

But this make a lot of room for next year minus Smolinski to sign everybody deserving happy.

At this point, everyone appears to be filling their role, or giving more than expected...except Ryder (although I'm still not a Bouillon fan, but at least he isn't a liability anymore.) If Ryder's production is replaced and exceeded by a veteran player at the deadline, well, I'd be happy.

Perhaps his numbers aren't inflated at all? And that he deserves everything he gets?

Streit makes a lot of good plays at the point on the PP. He has nice O-skills, and is a nice addition if his minutes at 5-5 are limited. Great to have him on the PP. I agree he should not be playing defense.

I think that while a player may pick up a handful of 'cheap' assists over a season, you don't get as many as he does by not being good.

He is a nice player to have around while the youth develops; also, he's a really attractive addition for a trade, should BG go that route. But there is no need to get rid of this season, or probably next, barring an amazing offer.

Ryder, as EasyRyder points out, has got to be almost untrade-able now? What GM will give up anything of real worth for a guy like that? Also, Dandy, what kind of demand will this guy command?

Also, while it would be great to see Sundin with us for a couple of years, there is no way the Laffs will EVER deal him to us. Plus, I don't think psychologically I could get over seeing him here; to me, he is tainted.

Streit is good, but he definitely does benefit from being with Markov and Kovalev on the powerplay. He's not the quarterback, Markov is. I do prefer his passing ability to Souray's though, but of course his shot is way inferior. I hope he improves from experience, after all he's played less than a full season as a PP point man. He often takes too many shots that miss the net or are harmless, he's just not that big a threat, so hopefully he learns to pick his spots better.

Streit is good, but he definitely does benefit from being with Markov and Kovalev on the powerplay. He's not the quarterback, Markov is. I do prefer his passing ability to Souray's though, but of course his shot is way inferior. I hope he improves from experience, after all he's played less than a full season as a PP point man. He often takes too many shots that miss the net or are harmless, he's just not that big a threat, so hopefully he learns to pick his spots better.

Ya I think streit will continue to grow. He will be a top four defenseman in his carrer.

Ya I think streit will continue to grow. He will be a top four defenseman in his carrer.

I have been a fan of Streit since he's been on the Habs. For a little known player, he has outperformed expectations. He does whatever the team asks of him whether it is playing defense or forward. Not sure if he'll become a top 4 d-man, but very useful on the PP and with limited minutes 5-on-5. I hope he is resigned by BG as he is a key little part to the growth of the Habs. Eventually, a younger d-man may pass him on the depth chart, but Streit's will be a very useful utility guy.

Yeah, we'd do well to keep Streit, we can't keep losing pieces of our top powerplay unit and expect it to stay at the top of the league. I heard somewhere, probably here, that apparently he wants a three year 6 million dollar contract. Hopefully we could get him for a bit less, closer to 5 million over that period.

Yeah, we'd do well to keep Streit, we can't keep losing pieces of our top powerplay unit and expect it to stay at the top of the league. I heard somewhere, probably here, that apparently he wants a three year 6 million dollar contract. Hopefully we could get him for a bit less, closer to 5 million over that period.

I guess that isnt way too much. It seems like a bit of a hike though.

It may seem like a bit of a hike, but for what he brings to the team, i think it would be money well spent. Look at what the Habs are paying Bouillon and Dandy. And Streit is definitely more valuable then either of them. If that is what he is looking for, i think BG should lock him up.

:hlogo: Okay, we are rolling along pretty good again, but after seeing the Bruins game can we last thru a seven game series with teams that are going to manhandle us. I think we would come out on top of a best of seven with Boston but we would be so beat up how much farther could we go. We need to add some toughness and a winger to play with Koivu & Higgins. Also it's about time Bob tried to redeem himself for his Mike Ribiero For Janna Niinamaa trade. Two trades I would like to see is with Chicago & the Rangers. First to Chicago Ryder, Halak & O,Byrne throw in either Milroy or Locke if need be in exchange for T. Ruutu, D. Byfuglien and P. Lalime. Ruutu gives us a winger to play with Higgins & Koivu, Byfuglien gives us some toughness on D and a bombing shot for the PP. Lalime gives us an experienced back up for Price next year. Second trade : Streit & Kostopolous to N.Y.R for Ryan Hollweg, F. Lessard & P. Parenteau. Hollweg gives us an everyday fourth liner with speed and grit, Lessard gives us an enforcer to play when needed (Boston) & Parenteau gives us depth in Hamilton and takes the place of either Milroy or Locke. We end up saving a million and having a line up that looks like this.

Goal: Huet, Lalime

D: Markov/Komisarek, Hamarlik/Byfuglien, Bouillon/Gorges (7'th man Briseboise)

Forwards: Kostitsyn/Plecanek/Kovalev, Higgins/Koivu/Ruutu, Latendresse/Smolinski/Kostitsyn, Hollweg/Lapierre/Dandenault (Lessard & Begin) Dress Lessard instead of Dandenault for games where we need him and let Begin get healthy for the playoffs

These are just a couple of trades I would make if I were Bob, They might not be possible to make, but who agrees we need a winger for Koivu, & Higgins & some toughness.

Nope! No trades of that foolish kind! :clap:

Edited by shortcat1

Are you kidding, 2 mill a year for Streit?? Not even Komisarek makes that much. He is barely a 5th or 6th dman. His rushing ability is overrated, seriously watch carefully, his rushes are stopped at opposing blue line 80% of time, and he messes up forwards by forcing them to slow down and wait for him). His passing is "Amazing"? Please, it is mediocre at best, and like I said he gets most of his assists and 2nd ones by just shovelling it to Markov or Kovalev and then they score or make the laser pass. He also takes way too many shots considering I think the last time one of his slappers went in was November, he's very impatient, takes shots when the goalie sees it the whole way, or there's an opposition player in front of him. Overall he is good filler on the PP (prolly S. Kostitsyn could better, maybe Komisarek too if he got the chance) , a mediocre 4th line forward on a team that has depth on that position, and a poor 6th Dman (lowest on team at -7).

You guys are seriously overrating him, but it seems like a lot of people do so maybe that includes other GMs. We should package him off in a second if we got a good offer from a team that was impressed by the illusion of his 50 point pace and his "versatility". Maybe Calgary would go for him + Ryder for Tanguay if Ryder alone wasn't enough. Mike Keenan would be strangeling him in a week the guy is so frustrating to watch.

It may seem like a bit of a hike, but for what he brings to the team, i think it would be money well spent. Look at what the Habs are paying Bouillon and Dandy. And Streit is definitely more valuable then either of them. If that is what he is looking for, i think BG should lock him up.

They are both overpaid, but it is BG's tendency to overpay people.

You guys are seriously overrating him, but it seems like a lot of people do so maybe that includes other GMs. We should package him off in a second if we got a good offer from a team that was impressed by the illusion of his 50 point pace and his "versatility". Maybe Calgary would go for him + Ryder for Tanguay if Ryder alone wasn't enough. Mike Keenan would be strangeling him in a week the guy is so frustrating to watch.

He's not as bad as you make him sound. And come on, no one would ever deal Tanguay for Ryder and Streit.

the D is loaded of talent in McDonagh, Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Streit, O'Byrne, etc.

the G is loaded of talent with Price.

the O is in need of talent and Pacioretty seems to be good for the future.

I think we could use our 2008 1rst rounder to get Hossa. If we, or Atlanta, can sign Hossa for a 3-4 years deal, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Grabing 1, only 1 superstar, may be the detail who could bring UFA's , or at least sending the message the HABS are serious in their wish to win a Cup.

Bring 1 superstar along with Kovy, Markov, Komi and Price : We'll be SERIOUSLY in a run for a cup, or even more than one.

If Pacioretty is our stud pf winger of the not too distant future, we really only need the hulking, vg two-way centre. Future lines + in 2009-2010 could be, pending on re-signs and retirements:

1) Kost-Plex-Kost

2) Higgins-XXX-XXX (Pacioretty? Another player?)

3) Latendresse-Chips-Pacioretty

4) XXX-Lapierre-XXX

Bottom two fill-outs, we can deal with those as they come. So do we really need to trade for a winger, or even a centre now? Or, prep for the future and get our guy in place now, ready for Koivu's farewell after next season?

Edited by tokyohabs

Bottom two fill-outs, we can deal with those as they come. So do we really need to trade for a winger, or even a centre now? Or, prep for the future and get our guy in place now, ready for Koivu's farewell after next season?

I doubt we'll make a major deal right now, the time isn't right. We'd have to give up some key roster players if we wanted to land a big name. We have a great record, but we're still not a top-tier contender, and we should sit on the young talent we have and let them improve. Next year or more likely the year after is when we'll be going for a big name I'd expect.

"1) Kost-Plex-Kost"

KoKoPlex - breakfast cereal of champions

:lol: