What should Bob Gainey do ?

MAK

this year trade deadline will be most interesting for Habs fans. For the beloved Gm, I'm sure it's going to be a real pain in the rear.

I'm sure he realises that his team is a little over achieving but on the other hand, montreal is second in the east in regards of points and has a legit chance at going far( should we avoid ottawa and new jersey).

Plan A: he could be shopping prospects to get a rent-a-player or a player to stay long term( as big, phisycal winger to play on the koivu line). we have few Dmen in our prospect pool and all wont be able to play with montreal so one coudl become a bait.

but if he does that, that would probably mean that he would not trade the impending UFA's thus not having anything in return. sheldon souray anyone ??

plan B: timmins could be in Gainey's office crying to get as many high draft picks as possible.

with the trade deadline frenzy where players are overrated, I'm sure Huet, Ryder and streit could bring decent picks home. In a year thats is supposed to be as good as 2003, it'd be nice to have two 1st rounders( anaheim got getzlaf and perry in 03...)

on the other hand, that would be a huge blow to the team to lose Huet and Streit but if he's thinking long term, that would be wizer for him.

Plan C: part ways with a player that is already under contract for next year for a younger player and still makea push for the playoffs this year. Koivu will be UFA at the end of next year so his Value could be higher this year. I'm sure we'D be getting a legit NHLer and a pick or a good prospect. is it me or Koivu doesn't look happy at all this year ?? I think he deserves to be traded to a cup contender with all he's done for us.

Kovalev is another player who's playing over his head. could get a nice return for him.

mind you I would accept koivu or kovy being traded only if the return was awesome.

so what are you guys thinking ??

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any move will be percieved as a small move, but it will be done to shake up the PK unit or add another guy to improve faceoffs.

The only player that could be moved right now is Ryder. Huet & Streit are integral parts of this team and he may want to re-sign them. Brisebois and Smolinski don't hurt the team by their presence and Smoke has a NTC. Plus, there's no market for either player especially since they've battled injuries. Neither will be retained for next year, but there's no point in a trade.

Koivu and Kovalev are key members of the Habs and have a positive impact on the team. Any trade of either would be a massive shakeup to the team. Gainey has only dealt two players in his time that were considered core players in the middle of the season, and they were both on the IR at the time (Theodore, Rivet). Both were underperforming and the team made a move to part ways when the team was already playing without them. There is no Theodore or Rivet case right now for Montreal.

There is always the potential for another Kovalev type acquisition. It was unexpected then, and I'd think it'd be unexpected now. But I think it'll be a move for a mid-tier player rather than a swing for the fences type move. And Ryder will be moved if just to free up the roster spot for that new player.

this year trade deadline will be most interesting for Habs fans. For the beloved Gm, I'm sure it's going to be a real pain in the rear.

I'm sure he realises that his team is a little over achieving but on the other hand, montreal is second in the east in regards of points and has a legit chance at going far( should we avoid ottawa and new jersey).

Plan A: he could be shopping prospects to get a rent-a-player or a player to stay long term( as big, phisycal winger to play on the koivu line). we have few Dmen in our prospect pool and all wont be able to play with montreal so one coudl become a bait.

but if he does that, that would probably mean that he would not trade the impending UFA's thus not having anything in return. sheldon souray anyone ??

plan B: timmins could be in Gainey's office crying to get as many high draft picks as possible.

with the trade deadline frenzy where players are overrated, I'm sure Huet, Ryder and streit could bring decent picks home. In a year thats is supposed to be as good as 2003, it'd be nice to have two 1st rounders( anaheim got getzlaf and perry in 03...)

on the other hand, that would be a huge blow to the team to lose Huet and Streit but if he's thinking long term, that would be wizer for him.

Plan C: part ways with a player that is already under contract for next year for a younger player and still makea push for the playoffs this year. Koivu will be UFA at the end of next year so his Value could be higher this year. I'm sure we'D be getting a legit NHLer and a pick or a good prospect. is it me or Koivu doesn't look happy at all this year ?? I think he deserves to be traded to a cup contender with all he's done for us.

Kovalev is another player who's playing over his head. could get a nice return for him.

mind you I would accept koivu or kovy being traded only if the return was awesome.

so what are you guys thinking ??

According to TSN's Pierre McGuire, Koivu only gets a draft pick, if traded straight up. I know he can be annoying but he usually is accurate. You're suggestion that for Koivu we get a legit player and a pick might be a little wishful thinking.

According to TSN's Pierre McGuire, Koivu only gets a draft pick, if traded straight up. I know he can be annoying but he usually is accurate. You're suggestion that for Koivu we get a legit player and a pick might be a little wishful thinking.

RIght now I would agree with mcguire but at the trade deadline we'd be getting way more.

I would say that we are buyers this year. We will only be sellers if we get a good enough deal for a Huet or a Ryder.

if you trade Huet you can't be buyer. Halak wont bring us far. dItto Price.

Bob will sign Huet. I just have a strong gut feeling about that. Gainey's a cautious man, he'll want major league depth in the nets and will not risk destroying our prospects at G by exposing them too soon. Huet seems happy here, in the city that made him a hero and gave him his big break. He will not be dealt, unless we get a comparable goalie back, and will not be allowed to walk as a UFA. Resigning him is the only scenario that makes sense.

Beyond that, Ryder's as good as gone, but I think Bob is open to positioning that either as part of a 'buy' (e.g., Tanguay package) or a sell ('get this guy off my hands for a pick'), depending on the way the wind blows. Other than that, expect him to do what he said he would do and fish for a faceoff man and maybe a minor depth move or two. Anything more would startle me.

At the beginning of the season I said trade Huet, but I agree he should be re-signed now. He's a top 10 goalie so we need him to be competitive, Price and Halak aren't ready yet. Also I don't think we're going to get too much for Huet anyways, most of the competitive teams have good goaltending.

If Gainey see's a good trade take it (Tanguay for Ryder), but otherwise unless it's a really good buyer's market I wouldn't expect much to happen.

At the beginning of the season I said trade Huet, but I agree he should be re-signed now. He's a top 10 goalie so we need him to be competitive, Price and Halak aren't ready yet. Also I don't think we're going to get too much for Huet anyways, most of the competitive teams have good goaltending.

If Gainey see's a good trade take it (Tanguay for Ryder), but otherwise unless it's a really good buyer's market I wouldn't expect much to happen.

I still do not trust Huet in the clutch he only has 2 one goal wins this year I believe. And if he can not win a playoff series I would rather Halak or Price be gaining the pressure experience.

I would not blink an eye if Huet was traded.

I dont either, but remember the rock solid tending you guys want is a luxury only a couple of teams have. Huet isnt a Broduer or Luongo, but he's up there as a Giguere, Legace, Niitymaki, Dipietro, KIprusoff, Turco, Vokun, etc.

At that point it falls on the team in front of him to make the difference, something the habs have been able to do well enough to be 2nd in the east atm.

I dont either, but remember the rock solid tending you guys want is a luxury only a couple of teams have. Huet isnt a Broduer or Luongo, but he's up there as a Giguere, Legace, Niitymaki, Dipietro, KIprusoff, Turco, Vokun, etc.

At that point it falls on the team in front of him to make the difference, something the habs have been able to do well enough to be 2nd in the east atm.

Giguere is not in that group he is a conn smythe winner as well as a cup winner.

Kiprusoff has won 3 seven game series.

Both had smoking teams in front of them, the goalie didn't steal it. Giguere didnt win the conn smythe.

Yeah he did. He won it when the Ducks lost to the Devils in 2003. 1 of only 5 players to do so on a losing team (Crozier, Hall, Leach, Hextall)

And he was the main reason that they were in the Finals.

Check his 2003 Playoff stats.

Edited by Wamsley01

Huet's win % is by far the best a Habs goalie has had since Roy came along, and when you combine that with his save %, re-signing him becomes a huge priority.

In man disadvantage situations Huet isn't great, but no one has been. It's a team issue as much as a goalie issue.

Bob will sign Huet. I just have a strong gut feeling about that.... Huet seems happy here, in the city that made him a hero and gave him his big break. He will not be dealt, unless we get a comparable goalie back, and will not be allowed to walk as a UFA. Resigning him is the only scenario that makes sense.

I'm not so sure about that? Huet said earlier this season to an RDS reporter that he wanted to play for a team that would consider him as their number 1 goalie all season long. And we all know that at some point next year, Price might become our number 1 man...so I'm not sure that Huet will re-sign in Montreal.

Huet's win % is by far the best a Habs goalie has had since Roy came along, and when you combine that with his save %, re-signing him becomes a huge priority.

In man disadvantage situations Huet isn't great, but no one has been. It's a team issue as much as a goalie issue.

The win % has very little to do with Huet. That's because the team is being run by Gainey, not Rejean Houle, and he's actually built a competitve team.

The save % is nice, but it doesn't tell you which saves he makes and which ones he doesn't. He occasionally makes a nice save (maybe one every game or two - he used to do it a lot more often though) but he also occasionally (once every game or two) lets in a goal that half the people on this site could have stopped. That shows that you never know what you are going to get, which is risky since if he gets hot, a team can rely on him and then be let down. That fact is only emphasized by ineffectiveness in pressure situations (though there won't be any shootouts in the playoffs). Remember the goal that eliminated us from the playoffs in 2006? Game 6, overtime, Cory Stillman shoots a flutterball from the blueline that floats right by his glove, and the Habs' season is over. That year, Huet was awesome and probably the biggest reason we were even in the playoffs. The team relied on him. And then it all came crashing down in front of our eyes because we had relied on the wrong guy. He's a good player - but for as long as he's our starting goalie, we have to make sure that we are getting more scoring chances than the other team.

You guys sure have no faith in Huet, given that he is the best goalie we have had since Roy (other then Theo for a brief period of time).

People like to harp on his bad goals. Apparently you guys don't want much hockey because Brodeur, Luongo, etc have all let in lots of bad ones. In fact, the highlight reels are full of goals every night that based on some of the comments I have seen on this board would be called "terrifible goals'. I don't think Huet is as good as them, but he is vastly superior to any other option we have right now in the system (Price is not ready) and I don't see us getting any better goalie.

This team has a problem holding leads, but it is not Huet. They sit back in their own zone and let teams get lots of opportunities. If you want to start winning more one goal games, fix that, not the goaltending.

Fortunately, it doesn't matter if some of you guys have "bad feelings" when he is in net, the fact is that he has a great save percentage and a great winning percentage. For a bubble team full of young kids, I think we should be grateful. :)

Until and unless Price becomes the next Roy / Luongo / Brodeur, I think Huet provides this team with great goaltending and a chance to win most night. How many games have they been completely outplayed for about 40 minutes where Huet has kept them in to end up with a win or overtime point?

Given the comedy of errors this team makes nightly in defensive coverage, I think you should cut Huet some slack. He does and will makes mistakes, but on balance, I don't think we even make the playoffs without him in net.