Game Thread | Pittsburgh vs. Canadiens | 01/19/08

Habsfan84

suchh a frusterating game to watch. No goals, sloppy plays. Some good pressure sometimes, but too much fancy crap and no legitimate scoring chances taken advantage of - or even worse, getting the puck on the net.

They better re-group because Boston is in town Tuesday and they have yet to beat us this year so they will be extremely hungry for that W.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now cherry is bitching because the leafs were not national.. and of course, they were planning on showing crosby off, not the habs..

On the bright side, if you got the habs nationally every saturday night, they would have no fans left...

WTF does Don Cherry care if the Leafs are National? really? why does he care?

We deserved a better fate then this. We outplayed Pitts most of the game.

Was is just me or did the refs really let pitts get away with all the interference (High stick too :( ) that they were calling against us?

I agree with both of those statements.

We played well, but so did the Penguins, they won more battles. It's funny that the difference in the game was the error by Hamrlik in leaving the front of the net to cover Laraque, who isn't a threat to create a quality shot by himself. There were so many times that we had a chance to tie it up but we couldn't get a good shot off or a pass was a bit too long. Our top line had another strong showing, and the second line is sooo close to finally burying one of its chances.

But damn, my main target of anger is Koivu. He turned the puck over more than anyone on the ice by far, most of the times he got it he coughed it up. He was just weak, weak, weak like he's been most of the year. He reminds me of Kovalev last year (not quite as bad).

In the intermission they brought up a Koivu for Tanguay trade. Now I don't see why we should do this as the team is winning, and I don't see why Calgary would really want this because it doesn't solve their cap problem for next year, but purely on paper this would improve our team.

Koivu stunk last night. He wasn't just in his slump but he out right sucked. He has been playing this poorly for the last 7 or 8 games. He can't hold on to the puck at all, he can't make a good pass, he can't skate.

I don't know what is wrong with him right now but perhaps Carbo should give him some rest.

Koivu playing poorly and not showing up didn't hurt the team that bad

this year, yet.

But now that Higgins is washed and dry, this is concerning.

We can keep up with Koivu, Ryder, Smolinski playing like shadows of

themselves but we cannot keep up with Higgins off.

He doesn't work and dominate for keeping the puck in the zone like he used to.

Mainly because he knows that is efforts are worthless, it's all mental.

Higgins will produce when he will have a centre that is able to control the play

in the offensive zone.

Being shut out is never fun, but this game could have gone either way. We had some good chances. Can't win em all I suppose. I think we are trying to be a little to fancy, waiting for the perfect play. Just get the puck to the net and good things will happen.

Getting sick & tired of all the media hype (in both languages) about possible deals...........Before we started trading the farm for rentals we need to re-evaluate what we have an excess of and what we need....... Those out there that want to move our Captain have absolutely no clue.....Saku Koivu is the heart & soul of this team.....He is the most revered by all the players....what message are we sending to the other players by trading the face of the current franchise?.....Yes it seems like he has taken a step back as Kovy's line has been awesome this year; but for the most part we are winning, and we really haven't needed the production from too many others as we are one of the higher scoring teams.....He's our #1 choice in the faceoff circle for key draws.... Anyone of the other 29 teams would love this guy in their lineup.........Have you thought about WHY Sutter wants a guy like Koivu?.......I know it's fun to speculate who we can get for player A or player B , let's not be too hasty...............WE ARE NOT DOING THAT BAD!!

what message are we sending to the other players by trading the face of the current franchise?

We'd be sending a message that anyone who continually goes out there and doesn't play up to their ability will not be a part of the team for very long...no exceptions...and that's not a bad thing.

Hey Wamsley, just wondering if that parade went by your place this morning in TO ??

LOL, oh believe me. The stories are already churning how the Leaf youth is taking control

of the season and they are leading the charge. I love it, we all know they are going to make a feeble run at 8th

and screw their future just a little more.

What does it say about your team when they play well when the pressure is gone?

Good afternoon ladies. I got to watch teh game from La Cage Aux Sports last night. What a frustrating game to watch.

Our boys played really well in the first, and played a damn good second period(got 17 shots on net), but then they seemed to lose the will to win in the Third. Considering Pittsburgh had played Friday night, you'd think it would have given our boys an advantage in the third, but looking at the game last night, you would've guessed that it was the Habs who had played on Friday and not the Pens!

Huet played a very solid game in nets. This game would have easily ended 3 or 4 nothing had it not been for some amazing saves by Christobal! It's too bad for him, he definitely deserved the win...

Saku is really starting to worry me. He seems like he doesn'T care anymore. Not Only is he struggling...but he doesn't seem to care...and I find that unacceptable! I just hope Saku's carelessness won't rub off on Higgins (who seems to be struggling as well). I hope these two will get their act together soon enough.

The Pens played a solid DEFENSIVE game last night. no Montreal player (except Kovy) managed to get a quality shot from the slot. They deserved the win.

LAstly, I would like to let some steam out...please bear with me!

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING QUÉBECOIS GOALIES WALKING INTO THE BELL CENTRE AND LEAVING WITH A SHUTOUT ON THEIR RECORD.

Jezus fv.cking Christ of Latterday Saints. Sabourin is an AHL goalie, he couldn't stop a freaking beach ball, and he comes into our building and pulls off a 31 shot shutout! FV.CK ME! Same thing happened earlier this year when Thibault came into Montreal and left with a shutout.

As a fellow Québecois, I can understand their eagerness to perform well in front of friends and family, but If I were Carbo, i'd start to plan ahead of schedule, in case we ever play against other no-name Québecois goalies.(Marc Denis) Crash the net, shoot high, bring out a shit disturnber to get these golaies off of their game. Please, DO SOMETHING!

At least we are playing against the Pooh-Bears on Tuesday, it should we a W for the Habs. At least they better get the win against the pooh-Bears, cause we are playing the Devils on Thursday, and you all know that as much as we can't lose agains the Bruins, we can't seem to win against the damn Devils!

Edited by Habsfan

LOL, oh believe me. The stories are already churning how the Leaf youth is taking control

of the season and they are leading the charge. I love it, we all know they are going to make a feeble run at 8th

and screw their future just a little more.

What does it say about your team when they play well when the pressure is gone?

Sad. At least I can tune that stuff out, where I live. They beat a Buffalo team that has been hurting for their 3rd in a row and now there is hope. I hope they keep Sundin.

That being said, if they get within 4 points of us, I will be just a little worried..

Sad. At least I can tune that stuff out, where I live. They beat a Buffalo team that has been hurting for their 3rd in a row and now there is hope. I hope they keep Sundin.

That being said, if they get within 4 points of us, I will be just a little worried..

If they get within 4 pts of the Habs it will be more of the Habs fault than anything else.

The Leafs will have to go 23-11 to finish out the season just to get to 92 points.

If the Habs go 18-17 that would give them 92 points as well. So as long as the Habs remain consistent

the Leafs will need to play .800 hockey. But I said the same thing last year.

If they get within 4 pts of the Habs it will be more of the Habs fault than anything else.

The Leafs will have to go 23-11 to finish out the season just to get to 92 points.

If the Habs go 18-17 that would give them 92 points as well. So as long as the Habs remain consistent

the Leafs will need to play .800 hockey. But I said the same thing last year.

Don't get too cocky, we're primed for a slump: unproductive PP, Koivu playing like he's on depressants, Ryder and Higgins in the toilet, and worst of all, a home stand.

I have a feeling the Bruins are due for a win against us, which would make us 0-2 on the homestand and all set for a wee bout of panic.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I have a feeling the Bruins are due for a win against us, which would make us 0-2 on the homestand and all set for a wee bout of panic.

I keep thinking this, they've got to beat us sometime. But hopefully not yet!

Maybe the allstar break will be good for Koivu.

I keep thinking this, they've got to beat us sometime. But hopefully not yet!

Maybe the allstar break will be good for Koivu.

He slumps pretty much every Jan Feb and plays excellent in March and the playoffs I guess we really should not be suprised.

He slumps pretty much every Jan Feb and plays excellent in March and the playoffs I guess we really should not be suprised.

But it's hasn't been just this month, it was bad in Dec and Nov too. It's basically been a bad season.

But I agree, we'll wait till playoff time and see how he does there. I really doubt Gainey will move him, definitely not if we're doing as well as we have been lately.

But it's hasn't been just this month, it was bad in Dec and Nov too. It's basically been a bad season.

But I agree, we'll wait till playoff time and see how he does there. I really doubt Gainey will move him, definitely not if we're doing as well as we have been lately.

I dont really think his December was that bad 10 points in 13 games is Koivu type numbers.

I dont really think his December was that bad 10 points in 13 games is Koivu type numbers.

Yeah, I guess he had decent numbers, but he wasn't playing very well in other aspects of the game. Most of his outings this season have been weak.

I think they should really put Latendresse back with Koivu, they compliment each other well and Gui is at his best with Saku.

Edited by Neech

Yeah, I guess he had decent numbers, but he wasn't playing very well in other aspects of the game. Most of his outings this season have been weak.

I think they should really put Latendresse back with Koivu, they compliment each other well and Gui is at his best with Saku.

agreed....and Higgins was playing better w/ryder & laps....alternate smolinski w/TK on the 4th line centre until we can unload him....put dandy back on right wing where he can use his speed (he looks lost on the left side) .....Begin back on LW

A. Kost/Plex/Kovy

Gui/Koivu/S, Kost

Higgins/Max/Ryder

Begin/Smokes (or TK)/Dandy