The Selanne

hupette gros

I dont think that it is right at all that a player returns halfway through the season.

Probably something the league will look at at the next meeting.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that they've got a lot of cap room available so it shouldn't be a problem (as JMMR mentioned).

I dont think that it is right at all that a player returns halfway through the season.

Ya, it just doesn't sit well with me either. I'm not sure if it bothers me because these so called retired guys can wait almost the entire season to join a team of they're choice, being able to somewhat see who's a winner and who's not or the advantage it gives teams that are already doing great. Something about it all just seems unfair. To fans, players etc.........

Ya, it just doesn't sit well with me either. I'm not sure if it bothers me because these so called retired guys can wait almost the entire season to join a team of they're choice, being able to somewhat see who's a winner and who's not or the advantage it gives teams that are already doing great. Something about it all just seems unfair. To fans, players etc.........

I agree there is no way this should be allowed.

They should make the cut off date some time in NOV or something, players coming back in Jan. is a bit of a joke and brings the legitimacy and integrity of the league down.

why shouldn't it be allowed ?? there is a deadline .. it's the trade deadline .. players must be under contract by the trade deadline to be eligible for playoffs.

Selanne was an UFA which means he can do what ever he wants .. he doesn't have to sign anything as long as he didn't file retierement papers ( which he didn't ) ... so if he wanted to sign the day before the trade deadline then that's his choice.

Now the Niedermeyer situation is a different thing .. he was under contact and held out. that's where the league needs to step in and do something. Keep players who are under contract from holding out for so long.

why shouldn't it be allowed ?? there is a deadline .. it's the trade deadline .. players must be under contract by the trade deadline to be eligible for playoffs.

Selanne was an UFA which means he can do what ever he wants .. he doesn't have to sign anything as long as he didn't file retierement papers ( which he didn't ) ... so if he wanted to sign the day before the trade deadline then that's his choice.

Now the Niedermeyer situation is a different thing .. he was under contact and held out. that's where the league needs to step in and do something. Keep players who are under contract from holding out for so long.

Agreed! Forsberg, Selanne, what they're doing is totally allowable.

What Neidermeyer did was a bit ballsless. Hems and haws on retirement, gets suspended by the team for not showing up, then decides "Okay guys, I think I will play now that the season is half over." If you're under contract, play or retire. Simple as that.

What's the big deal? The trade-off for the teams that these guys play for is that they have to go half the season without a star player, and they can't spend the cap money they would give him.

The NHL should not regulate everything to the piont that most of you are suggesting. If a player doesn't want to sign a contract, that's his problem. It's up to the individual teams whether they want to sign a guy who hasn't been with them the whole year. If the teams put up with it, then the league shouldn't have to do anything.

If a star player was coming to sign with the habs, we wouldn't hear any of this out of any of you. Jealousy is all this is.

OK, Forsberg is no way in the same category as Niedermeyer & Selanne. There was absolutely nothing wrong physically with either of them but Forberg is still nursing a injury. Forsberg couldnt play if he wanted to, which he has all along.

The people who dont see a problem with what Niedermeyer & Selanne did arent giving it enough thought. Its a huge deal and in no way should be allowed.

Hypothetically why would it be perfectly OK for Selanne, Sundin, a healthy Forsberg, or any other top UFAs all to just sit and wait to make their decision to play at the trade deadline for peanuts on the team thats doing the best. Every year you would have the potential to win the Cup as long as you kept waiting till the trade deadline to pick the best team of that year and only sign 1 year contract. There could be a parade of the same 1 year UFAers that all go from top team to top team every year and win the Cup every year.

OK, Forsberg is no way in the same category as Niedermeyer & Selanne. There was absolutely nothing wrong physically with either of them but Forberg is still nursing a injury. Forsberg couldnt play if he wanted to, which he has all along.

The people who dont see a problem with what Niedermeyer & Selanne did arent giving it enough thought. Its a huge deal and in no way should be allowed.

Hypothetically why would it be perfectly OK for Selanne, Sundin, a healthy Forsberg, or any other top UFAs all to just sit and wait to make their decision to play at the trade deadline for peanuts on the team thats doing the best. Every year you would have the potential to win the Cup as long as you kept waiting till the trade deadline to pick the best team of that year and only sign 1 year contract. There could be a parade of the same 1 year UFAers that all go from top team to top team every year and win the Cup every year.

Yes but you have to admit that Selanne's sitation and Niedermeyer's is completely different. Selanne was a UFA so yes he can do what he wants ... just like you have the choice if you want to work or not. I don't think this is something that will catch on with other UFA's ... especially good ones like Sundin or say Marian Hossa etc ... reason being they'll make less money .. and chances are they could come back and be totally destroyed but the time they took off ... what if Selannes blows the rest of the season. Think the Ducks or anyone will think twice about signing him to a big contract if he decided to come back another year ? Say if an UFA like Hossa takes that kind of time off and signs a cheap 1 year deal ... comes back and sucks gets hurt and can't play anymore ... think he'll pass that up for the chance for him to cash in on a long term gaurenteed contact for a chance at the cup ?

I will agree what Niedermeyer & Selanne did isnt as bad as my scenario. They at least played with the Ducks last year so they are returning players.

There never used to be a problem when Wings fans would through 1 octopus per series on the ice. However when Panthers fans starting throwing 16 000 plastic rats every goal it became a huge problem.

What Niedermeyer & Selanne did this year does have the potential to snowball in a similar way. Its not something that anybody should want to see a lot of players doing.

Players like Sundin, Hossa etc are in the upper tier of player and of course the pay scale. By the time they are in their 30's they can easily play for peanuts because all their career they were getting paid really well because they are so good. If they have never won the Cup and really want to win it their kids wouldnt be starving if they signed for 1 year 1 mil contract. They could easily do that every year for 5 years if they choose to do so, and the fact that they have that choice is a bit much.

Your right saying its your choice if you want to work or not, but that doesnt mean they have the choice to leave work in January and come back in December to get the Christmas bonus and go the the party. Thats just not how it works in the real world. :lol: