Hossa - Will we or Won't we?

The-Habby2919

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Bob will trade for Marian Hossa?

• Yes
    • No

First off this isn't for your rumours or speculations. Based on how much people over at HFboards are talking about this I just wanted to see how we here at HabsWorld stand. Do you think Bob will trade for Hossa?

:hlogo:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. Bob won't trade the future for Hossa, and that's what ATL will want.

We are one player away from being a serious cup contender...I dont think this team has what it takes to get us to the cup finals...with the addition of Hossa...anything is possible....

Higgins-Koivu-Hossa

Kostitsyn-Plex-Kovy

IMO that is going punch for punch with Ottawa's 2 lines...all we can do is pray

I also want to mention that I called in to Hardcore Hockey talk last week and asked Steve Kouleas of the Score who would be the perfect fit in Montreal...and he kind of caught me by surprise when he said Raffi Torres...thoughts...comments?

Everyone is talking about Hossa...

You know who ATL could want to unload for cheap and that we could need?

Bobby Holik.

Big checking C who can take draws and has plenty of playoffs experience and is a UFA this summer.

Price tag is 4.25M. Ryder makes 3M, so there's a 1.25M difference. About Dandeneault's salary...

Bobby Holik.

Big checking C who can take draws and has plenty of playoffs experience and is a UFA this summer.

Price tag is 4.25M. Ryder makes 3M, so there's a 1.25M difference. About Dandeneault's salary...

LMAO

La Zone on SRC is just talking about it now...

Mainstream medias keep stealing our ideas!

Bobby Holik.

;)

exactly what I'm thinking.

+ although Kovalev has his lapses, he IS a PLAYOFF performer.

Hossa is not.

Gainey would never get a flashy player like Hossa just for the flash of it.

Holik would fix a glaring hole at center, a hole that hasn't been filled since Bobby Smith and Bob Gainey left that team. a frikkin 6'4" 235lbs hole!! ;)

LMAO

La Zone on SRC is just talking about it now...

Mainstream medias keep stealing our ideas!

OR

some people in the media are intelligent too :P

Super fragilistic expeditious Hossa

Bobs already had one of them and didnt like it much. Cant see him revisiting it. All the Euro trashy (i.e. average) players like Hossa Bob has gotten rid of so picking him up would be a step backwards IMO. Sure Hossa isnt an average Euro player but he is only average value. He isnt very physical for his size and is a Loch Ness Monster in the playoffs.

Holik would be an absolute waste of time at 4.25M. A GM would have to be really desperate at his salary. I'd think a lot less of Bob if he got Holik. I'd be shocked if he got him. Holiks best days were in NJ and he hasnt really been useful for the kind of money he gets since.

The only good with Holik is he is 6-4 230 shoots R. He gets a lot of penalty minutes though. For his size if you think he would be tough and could be our fighter type guy but afaik Holik hasnt been in a fight since 2002 so that blows that idea. The majority of penalties he gets are often cheap shots or just out right stupid penalties. I dont want to see a player on the Habs that will do stuff like Kovalevs elbow on Hollweg on a regular basis especially when he wont fight. The Habs dont have a fighter and Holik would actually be bigger than any Habs coming to his rescue to fight for him. A 6' 205 Kosto sticking up for him would be a complete joke. Besides the Habs already have at least 3 players on pace for 100+ penalty minutes (Koivi, Komi, Kosto) Do the Habs really need another ? :blink: Holiks strenght is he defense but thats hard to do when hes in the penalty box that much. It kinda cancels each other out.

I think Holik would be a sideways move over Bonk but for even more money. Back to the Lock with you Nessie.

I like Torres and he wouldnt be a bad pick up but the Habs dont really need him. The Habs need a centre who has a good faceoff winning %. Besides the Habs could probably draft a Torres player themselves with the picks it would cost to get him. And then theres this:

Edmonton Oilers traded Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection (previously acquired, NY Islanders selected Evgeni Tunik) in 2003 to the New York Islanders for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.
:lol:

Does anyone know where the faceoff wins are tracked? I want to see what some players % are but I dont know any site that lists that stat. :(

Does anyone know where the faceoff wins are tracked? I want to see what some players % are but I dont know any site that lists that stat. :(

Go to nhl.com hit the players link. Find the guy you want to look up and in the game by game stats it will tell you his FO% from game to game and any other stat you might want to know.

I like Torres and he wouldnt be a bad pick up but the Habs dont really need him. The Habs need a centre who has a good faceoff winning %. Besides the Habs could probably draft a Torres player themselves with the picks it would cost to get him. And then theres this:

Isnt Torres a LW?

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?fetchKey=2...rtssPlayerStats

Trading for Hossa is so not Bob's style.

3 weeks ago I was all for it; but the youth is coming along. We are having predictable problems with big, defensive, veteran-laden teams (Ott; NJ; NYR). It will take time for the kids to figure out how to beat them - in fact, slowly but surely they might be figuring it out already (last game v. NJ; would have loved to see the Rags game with us not having played the night before; we'll see this week w/2 v. Ott).

As I think saskhabs put it, while most of us were fantasizing about more and more and more offense - do we really need more at this point?

Holik, except for the salary, makes more sense. Any move I think Bob will make will be for depth, and not only for this year.

I would bet my house that Hossa and Holik never put a Habs jersey on in their lives. (maybe as a fan, but not on the payroll)

Gainey will likely make a move, but if it doesn't involve a big centre that can score it will likely be minimal (moving Ryder for, peanuts and spare parts)

The idea of it makes my mouth water. I hope Bob pulls it off. I say that knowing full well that Bob won't trade our young players away, so IF it does happen, it will probably be a package with Ryder, Bouillon, Dandenault and/or someone else. Maybe Brisebois or Smolinski.

I'm sure Atlanta management are aware (or will be made aware by Bob) of what happened with Ribeiro. We all know that Ryder is a natural sniper and maybe a change of scenery/linemates might get him going again.

But remember that Atlanta's status of seller or buyer is still up in the air. At this point I think it's safe to say that the only way a team from the Southeast division is going to make the playoffs is to grab the division lead, and four teams (including Atlanta) are still in the running for that. Unless their pace falters in the next 2 weeks, they will probably still be in that hunt well past the trade deadline.

Edited by ForumGhost

I agree with Sir Boagalott about Holik. He is an over paid defensive specialst. No way would I pay ihim more than 2.5 million per year.

As far as the hossa trade is concerned, i don't think it'll happen. Every single one of Bob's past trades have come out of left field. nobody expected them, and no reporter ever talked about them. This Hossa deal has gotten sooo much press, that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Habs are leaking out all kinds of false leads for reporters to follow, and all these leads point in the direction of the Thrashers and Hossa, when in fact, Bob is most likely negotiating with somebody completely different!

The thing about Holik is he's a UFA, so it doesn't really matter that much about his contract since it is expiring at the end of this season.

I think the Devils will grab him, provided that Atlanta actually starts selling.

Anyhow, I doubt the Hossa scenario - he'll be traded for a package similar to Smyth at last year's deadline.

Holik for Ryder (+ Dandy?) is a possibility but I think Bob will just target a cheaper centre, think Kostopoulos but at centre and good at faceoffs.

I don't want Hossa... I mean, yes he'd be helpful, but just check the price the team who'll end up getting him is going to pay... I don't want us to pay that for a player like him. I prefer to give more for a CHARACTER player.

I don't want Hossa... I mean, yes he'd be helpful, but just check the price the team who'll end up getting him is going to pay... I don't want us to pay that for a player like him. I prefer to give more for a CHARACTER player.

Hearing that from you is shocking. Seriously... :P

Habs need either a:

2nd line RW (for Koivu/Higgins)

3rd line RW (for Lapierre/Latendresse)

3rd line C (for Lapierre/Latendresse)

On paper, I liked it when S. Kostitsyn was playing with Lats and Lapierre while Ryder put in some time with Koivu. That gave the club 3 lines that could perform at both ends of the ice, and a 4th line that can hit (or switch in Streit/Dandenault over Kostopolous/Begin for speed).

With that said, I'd like to think Gainey is looking for Help on the right side or a better defensive centre than Smolinski.

Of course, a guy like Jokinen or Hossa would be great - but I don't see Gainey trading any of the better prospects in the system.