Game Thread: Ottawa @ Montreal, Feb 5

simonus

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we won but that third period meltdown was not pretty.

I am still fuming over that lazy Koivu penalty and nearly shit my pants when he was on the ice for the last 30 seconds of the game. Get it together Saku.

The only reason Saku was on the ice in the last seconds was for the face off. He had a 53% win percentage for face offs won tonight. Guy had no choice, unfortunately Koivu lost the crucial faceoff!!

Habs should be taking on a driven Leafs team on Thursday. They were absolutely embarrassed tonight.

I watched last saturday' game between the leaves and the hens, and trust me when I say that teh leaves really sucked. The refs were calling everything against the hens and nothing against teh Leaves(what a surprise?!?!!? :rolleyes: ) When i say the leaves sucked, i'm not exagerating one bit.

As long as the Habs play like they did in the first 2 periods against the Sens, we should beat the leaves. if they play like they did in the 3rd...we might have a hard time vs the Leaves!

If it was in another canadian town and the guy didn't had such a bad luck in life

the crowd would boo him off the Bell Centre.

Yeah, cuz the bell centre crowd is so forgiving compared to the rest of the canadian cities :rolleyes:

It was a struggle in the 3rd, but the Habs managed to hang on for the W. Nice gamesaver by Huet on Kelly in the last minute. Great to see Gorges respond with over 20 minutes of quality icetime. Rough nite for BooBoo and Breezer. What an effort by the Kovy line. All over the place tonite and 9 points amongst them. Carbo benching the Koivu line was smart and maybe will smarten him up. Tough to see Higgins and S. Kosty riding pine, but it worked in helping get the W.

We really miss Hamrlik when it means we gotta depend on Bouillon, Streit or Breezer to log big minutes carrying the load defensively when our #1 pairing needs a rest.

Yeah...his absence was really noticeable tonight...let's hope he kicks the flu bug quickly.

We played well for most of this game and deserved the win, but the dumb penalties and mistakes almost cost us. We really handed the Sens the opportunities to get back in the game. But Huet came through today. On a few occasions he made a monster save that kept us in the lead. But it's still rolling the dice whenever he leaves his net (he put Bouillon in a bad position on the first goal but it was Francis's fault to not get rid of the puck). And I still can't say that I'm not nervous with him in goal protecting a one goal lead, although he did good tonight.

What can we say about our first line? They can pass with the best in the league, and can be a threat whenever they're on the ice. Great game for them again. The other lines were decent, none of them were dominated or dominating. The defense was nothing specail. But gawddamn we can't take two delay of game penalties in one game! And Koivu, geez, I think he needs to watch an instructional video on the rules of the game to knock it into his head what is a hook and what is not. It's not like the officials are just picking on him, he's being a dumbass, and he's our freakin captain. I'm glad he rode the pine for a while, Carbo has given him plenty of chances and we can't risk putting bad players on the ice in these important games.

I watched the game on Sportsnet for a change. The announcers were biased, that was to be expected, though probably not as much as the RDS guys. They made some bad comments about Kovalev on how he has shown up 'a few more times' this season compared to last season, whereas he's been our best player the whole way through. They also said that Latendresse had a reputation for being dirty and taking late hits, which is kind of exaggerated.

I watched the game on Sportsnet for a change. The announcers were biased, that was to be expected, though probably not as much as the RDS guys. They made some bad comments about Kovalev on how he has shown up 'a few more times' this season compared to last season, whereas he's been our best player the whole way through. They also said that Latendresse had a reputation for being dirty and taking late hits, which is kind of exaggerated.

The sportsnet guys are hands down the biggest homers announcing today.

Leafs TV.

And this is a quote

"Anton Strallman is the best skater in the league"

other guy

"What about guys like Scott Neidermayer"

response ---DEAD SERIOUS

"Nope Strallman might not have all the skills he does but he is a better skater"

Are you kidding me/

Their fat play-by-play announcer (name??) must have been beaten up quite a few times as a kid, because he seems to have a "we're tougher than them" complex whenever Ottawa is losing.......he criticized Komi for not dropping the gloves more often as a "weakness to his overall game"...........also said 'Tender & Laps were known around the league as guys who like to hit from behind..............wonder what he must of said to protect Neil at the punch he took at Markov's face at game's end ("Oh, I'm sure it was just out of frustration"!).........idiot homer.

That`s exactly what my dad called them.. and he`s a Sens fan.

I seriously wonder sometimes if the RDS guys are even Habs fans. Obviously they are more excited for :hlogo: goals, but they are just as likely to get on our case for bad play and pump up the opposing team. They have to be the most objective local announcers i've ever heard.

I seriously wonder sometimes if the RDS guys are even Habs fans. Obviously they are more excited for :hlogo: goals, but they are just as likely to get on our case for bad play and pump up the opposing team. They have to be the most objective local announcers i've ever heard.

They can be at times yes.

When they get down on a player like Kovalev last year, Koivu always Ryder the past two season it can get annoying.

The only reason Saku was on the ice in the last seconds was for the face off. He had a 53% win percentage for face offs won tonight. Guy had no choice, unfortunately Koivu lost the crucial faceoff!!

It may also have been Guy's way of saying Koivu, "Step up, because you are needed." Had Koivu failed and the Sens scored, it would have been another Guy's point further proven. Had he succeeded, well, then everyone wins and Koivu proves he gets the message.

Now only the Leafs stand between us and 1st in the East. *dramatic music*

Considering:

1) They lost 8-0 last night

2) They're losers and won't even bother to bounce back from that and

3) They're pathetic

The game should be in the bag.

They can be at times yes.

When they get down on a player like Kovalev last year, Koivu always Ryder the past two season it can get annoying.

Do not forget that in Quebec, there are several jobs of commentators or analysts related to hockey and the Montreal Canadien in newspapers, on the television, on Internet or lines opened to the radio. If we pick Yvon Pednault, for example, he writes on RDS.ca, in Le Journal de Montreal and in a free newspaper called 24 Heures in addition to his analyst job. Bashing on players on air is a great way to fire on the "average" public and be sure to keep his other contracts, having something to talk about who will send papers and create discussions... And all of these guys are friends somewhere and back themselves.

If I was Pierre Boivin, I would ######ing think about sending an ultimatum to RDS concerning the level of bashing about Habs player by Pierre and Yvon, they always seems to have only 2 ways of describing a play : great play by a Habs player, or bad play by a Habs player. They never (almost never...) give credit to players from the other team. Always bashing on Koivu and Higgins, for example, or ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS saying (with a nearly disgusted attitude) "ANOTHER chance missed by Latendresse, it becomes an habit, he could have already 20 goals this season" brings the average stupid hockey fan to blame these same players.

I'm not saying they should praise the Habs players, but only respect the opponent's game sometimes would be much appreciated.

Yeah, cuz the bell centre crowd is so forgiving compared to the rest of the canadian cities :rolleyes:

This crowd is forgiving, if the player constantly screw up yes they will boo him.

If the player redeem himself from his poor play then the boo stop.

Simple as that.

If the player that i don't want to name is not being booed it's a special treat just for

him.

This crowd knows hockey, this franchise, it's history of greatness and does not accept half measure.

Well the first 30 minutes was good. I disagree with GC assesment that they didn't stop skating or protecting a lead. getting outshot 18-4 says otherwise.

About time the Koivu line was benched. That guy takes the dumbest penalties (always stick fouls) at the worst possible times. Higgins has been a no show for a while.

Glad to see the SK didn't get benched with the other 2.

Overall 2 points is 2 pooints. They still need to learn to finish the job, getting some other scoring besides the Pleks line. I would put SK back with Lats and Lapierre.

Dandenault should be with Koivu and Higgins.

I wouldn't say the Leafs are a lock, the Habs still need to show up and play 60 minutes. The Leafs still play the habs tough.

It may also have been Guy's way of saying Koivu, "Step up, because you are needed." Had Koivu failed and the Sens scored, it would have been another Guy's point further proven. Had he succeeded, well, then everyone wins and Koivu proves he gets the message.

Neither happened, so statu quo?

Koivu appears to be unhappy. While he has always been a liability in the defensive zone, it has become more pronounced with Higgin's disappearance and Ryder's meandering play. Koivu has been hooking opponents all his career, but more so now from what only be speculated as frustration with his loss of strength and speed, discontent with the relegation of his line to number 2 and/or general malaise. Koivu's penalty minute total at this point of the season equals that for all of last season at approximately 74 minutes. How do you inspire a captain to regain a past physical finesse and mental acumen? I believe that we will still see moments when Koivu sparkles offensively, but the mind numbing inability to contribution to defensive zone clearance and the mental incompetence to stop jabbing his stick all over the opponent in front of the referee seal his fate negatively in relation to the Canadiens.

Like many of you, I've had enough of Brisebois. If the man had any pride, he would retire. Friendships can blind a business relationship and such may be the case with respect to Brisebois' relationship to Carbonneau and Gainey. Opponent forwards easily skate around Brisebois, and maintain total control against the boards against him. He often pinches at the wrong time. His power play functionality is also very suspect. I can not find one aspect of his game that should not relegate him to observer status. I will continue to boo him and have booed him in the past when Gainey came out in his defense. The fans do not lie. The fans see what is so evident and if Gainey/Carbonneau want to spare their friend the ignomious label of loser in the playoffs, they are best to sit him and advise him to retire.

"I'm KooKoo for KoKo Puffs." They are an offensive line the likes of which have not produced such glee in me since Lafleur Shutt and Lemaire (of course vastly different in style). It's nice to finally have some line stability and skewing of playing time towards them. I've never believed in playing lines equally nor the massive amounts of shuffling attributed to Carbonneau in the past. Hopefully, this will continue even through the times when the line is temporarily not productive.

-John

My worry is that this team has the reputation around the league of sitting on leads and slowing down. That means that when coaches go in the dressing room and tell their team not to give up and to come out flying, the team believes it.

When NJ has a lead going into the 3rd, the back of every opposing player's head is saying "we are screwed, we can't win". That is very tough to overcome.

In any case, this worries me because it is very hard to change that impression. Teams will always come out flying when down against us which is why we keep having trouble holding on to leads. They get a goal and they just know the flood gates are opening. The habs do too, and panic even more.

They need to learn to play shut down hockey, and more importantly, expect the other team to come out flying in the 3rd and not just give up.

Brobin, This team over the past years have never had leads to sit on. Therefore they vets have never learned the skill. teams like the devils and others are always a veteran club who have the experience to know how to play for 60 minutes. The habs youth are in the process of learning this skill. The few vets who are winners, Hamrlik know how to do it.

This is a young team learning there way. Know matter where they finish for the playoff run that experience will help them in the future. Win or lose in the playoffs they will continue to get better, it's a process.

Just imagine in a few years when the youth are young veterans how good they'll be.