Game Thread | Habs vs. Evil Incarnate | 07/02/08

Cataclaw

Higgins+Halak+Ryder+1st Round.......

I would pull the trigger Asap....The heck with Komisarek having close ties to Higgins....Sh*t happens...we're trying to win a stanley cup...not be the Brady Bunch!

I'd do it too but Gainey will not and I would put money on it. We will not get an elite 1st line player this year, what we will get is another 3rd or 4th line roleplayer at best.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Higgins, Ryder, and a second sounds good to me. Seein as we're gonna lose ryder at the end of the year anyway. But I would hate to lose Higgins.

"While he was interviewed this morning on CKAC, Panthers Coach/GM Jacques Martin stated that Jokinen is, like all the other players on his team, available. However, he won't accept a trade that won't improve his team right now. An animator suggest something like Chris Higgins, Michael Ryder and a first rounder and Martin said right away that this wasn't enough for Jokinen. He said he wants players that will improve his team right now and for the future."

Sorry guys, add more...a lot more.

We would be crazy to not trade Higgins for Jokkinen. Jokkinen is what we hope Higgins could be.

THe HAbs cannot keep all their prospects and youth. They have to make tough decisions on these players.

But I would not do it out of panic. The Habs traded Corson for Damphousse and Corson was a better player

than Higgins is. We all know how that turned out for us.

Oh im not saying I wouldn't do it, just would hate to see him go. But I guess you gotta give up something to get something in return. Unless you're Mike Milbury :P

"While he was interviewed this morning on CKAC, Panthers Coach/GM Jacques Martin stated that Jokinen is, like all the other players on his team, available. However, he won't accept a trade that won't improve his team right now. An animator suggest something like Chris Higgins, Michael Ryder and a first rounder and Martin said right away that this wasn't enough for Jokinen. He said he wants players that will improve his team right now and for the future."

LOL, whats he want Crosby, Ovechkin???

Edited by brboo

What is he going to say? The days of Mats Sundin for Wendel Clark are over.

Nobody is going to deal a player just as good straight up for him unless he is a problem player or has issues.

Like the Heatley/Hossa deal. Especially at the deadline when teams are trying to improve.

THe teams at the bottom of the league will not give up youth because they are rebuilding.

Martin will most likely be keeping Jokinnen if he is hoping for equal value.

Trading All-Stars does not generally equal out.

Incredibly upsetting as usual to lose to the leafs. however, the good news is, they are in second last and we are right at the top.

Koivu, although my favourite player, once again didn't play great. We can't just rely on our second line to score goals, Bob needs to pull the trigger on a trade for a player to play on line #1 with koivu, and help him out a little!!

An absolutely huge game on Saturday against Ottawa, we can't let them run away from us now that Heatley is back

P.S How could we not score on all of those powerplays late in the game? With our league-leading PP, the goal was basically on a platter for us and we couldn't even score against the measly leafs PK....upsetting

As much as it sounds great to make a splash in the trade market for some high-profile gamebreaker, i would have to agree that BG is more likely to trade some middle draft pick for a depth d-man, in case of injury.

One guy who I really do think we should go after is J.P Dumont. Nashville is still fighting for a playoff position but I hope that at deadline they are well out. He puts up good numbers, he is a 1st line winger, he is from Quebec and most importantly I think we could get him with a respectable package. He is also signed for four more years at a measly 4 million. At 29 years old he could be just what Koivu needs.

I think they are happy with their goaltending so...

Higgins, 1st round pick should be very close. Maybe add Ryder.

One guy who I really do think we should go after is J.P Dumont. Nashville is still fighting for a playoff position but I hope that at deadline they are well out. He puts up good numbers, he is a 1st line winger, he is from Quebec and most importantly I think we could get him with a respectable package. He is also signed for four more years at a measly 4 million. At 29 years old he could be just what Koivu needs.

I think they are happy with their goaltending so...

Higgins, 1st round pick should be very close. Maybe add Ryder.

No thank. Dumont would not change the face of this team.

Last year we were in a very similar position, our 1st line was playing great and Kovalevs line was a gong show and Gainey did ziltch to save it then. Why does anyone expect something different this year?

Really we aren't gonna make a trade simple as that.

That was last season, this is this season. Different team, different time.

No thank. Dumont would not change the face of this team.

We dont need to change the face just get the broken parts running again.

That was last season, this is this season. Different team, different time.

Same team minus some inconsequential spare parts gainey went and collected to entertain the public. Nothing has changed, this team gives up leads late, sits back and has a lazy work ethic. Take away the injuries and illness from last years team and you have this years team. TAA DAHH!

We dont need to change the face just get the broken parts running again.

Same team minus some inconsequential spare parts gainey went and collected to entertain the public. Nothing has changed, this team gives up leads late, sits back and has a lazy work ethic. Take away the injuries and illness from last years team and you have this years team. TAA DAHH!

Why am I not surprised.

The Habs have played their best hockey, most exciting hockey in 15 years, they are 3 points out

of first place in the East, they are scoring 5 on 5, they still have a top powerplay, Huet is not faltering

like he was last year but all is the same in your world.

The board has been there done that from November to January.

We sat and waited for the Christmas collapse, we then waited for the string of losses

that we are used to, we waited to fold against New Jersey, we waited to fold again and again.

They continued to prove us wrong. So I am going to enjoy this run.

If they finish 13-14 like they did last year then at least I enjoyed myself throughout January.

I am not going to sit and wait for the sky to fall again, I might as well not even watch if I can't

enjoy when they win. WTF is the point in that case?

Why am I not surprised.

The Habs have played their best hockey, most exciting hockey in 15 years, they are 3 points out

of first place in the East, they are scoring 5 on 5, they still have a top powerplay, Huet is not faltering

We sat and waited for the Christmas collapse, we then waited for the string of losses

that we are used to, we waited to fold against New Jersey, we waited to fold again and again.

If they finish 13-14 like they did last year then at least I enjoyed myself throughout January.

I am not going to sit and wait for the sky to fall again, I might as well not even watch if I can't

Obviously their standings are different what I am saying is their style of play and attitude has not changed. And until that happens this team is still playing over their heads and isn't in the same league as Ottawa and Detroit.

Obviously their standings are different what I am saying is their style of play and attitude has not changed. And until that happens this team is still playing over their heads and isn't in the same league as Ottawa and Detroit.

I don't think they are in that league. But this team is improving from within. It is a better team than the one that collapsed last season.

They could surpass Ottawa because their goaltending sucks. But they also have to contend with the Pens, the Flyers, the Devils etc.

They will most likely avoid a playoff collapse, but I don't know if they are ready for 1st. But if they can hang tough for the next month

I am going to enjoy every second of it.

Why am I not surprised.

No kidding Walmsley. For the first time since I've been in Nashville am I not cursing the fact I shelled out for centre Ice package. I'm actually enjoying the way this team is playing. I really don't have anyone here in Nash Vegas to talk hockey with and all my friends in Toronto love the Leafs or the Bruins. So I come here to get my dose of Habs talk.

The past few years I could understand the whining on these boards, because of great starts and bad finishes. But damn we are looking good. The Koivu line will get going. 3 pts out of first. Things are looking up.......

And still....the anger and whining is worse then ever. I'm not cursing centre Ice package, It's fuc98kin Habsworld that's bumming me out.

Lighten up guys

Bah, sucked that we lost, but this was one hell of a game. A clear showcase why no arena comes close to the Bell centre. Man, Kovy's short-handed goal was such an awesome play, after the scramble in front of our net and then he's all alone. That's what hockey's about.

Well, we didn't play all that well, but once again it wasn't that bad either. We had plenty of chances but just couldn't bury them. Our powerplay had great control in their zone but we just couldn't put the right passes together. Andrei Kostitsyn didn't have his best night, I think on our third or fourth powerplay Carbo should have put Latendresse out with Plex and Kovy to stand in front of the net and bang in rebounds.

Once again it was our top line being our offensive catalysts, but I think Koivu had a pretty good game, and his line was decent. Higgins was pretty useless again, I'm not sure what's going on with him or what it'll take to get him out of the funk. Brisebois was pretty bad, he had some costly defensive breakdowns again. It might even be better to just put Dandenault in that spot, I think he's more physical and more responsible.

But really, the most remarkable thing about this game was AK27, he was a man among boys out there. Amazing to watch.

Anyways, I don't care if we don't catch the Sens because I never thought that it would happen for us (although it could be nice). I'd still be happy with this team finishing in a playoff spot, and anywhere above 7th is an unexpected bonus. Let's not forget where we thought this team was before the season started, we're doing great and first place isn't a big concern for me.

No kidding Walmsley. For the first time since I've been in Nashville am I not cursing the fact I shelled out for centre Ice package. I'm actually enjoying the way this team is playing. I really don't have anyone here in Nash Vegas to talk hockey with and all my friends in Toronto love the Leafs or the Bruins. So I come here to get my dose of Habs talk.

The past few years I could understand the whining on these boards, because of great starts and bad finishes. But damn we are looking good. The Koivu line will get going. 3 pts out of first. Things are looking up.......

And still....the anger and whining is worse then ever. I'm not cursing centre Ice package, It's fuc98kin Habsworld that's bumming me out.

Lighten up guys

Yeah, last season it was Koivu who was the best player.

But this season Plekanec, Kostitsyn, Komisarek have all jumped a level. Unfortunately Higgins and Ryder did not maintain

their level or this team would be in 1st place. That being said, they do not rely on 1 line anymore.

If they keep working hard then we should enjoy the next 2 months.

Deep down I still have fears, but I am not letting that ruin this run for me.

This game had alarm bells all over it - especially as you knew how eager the Laffs would be to step it up against us.

Learning experience for a very young, steadily improving team. Though the signs of a brighter future were there at the start of the season, anyone offering 3 points out of first in the East by early February would have been laughed at or locked up. Young team, will learn.

Yes, it's unacceptable to lose to the Laffs. Good game to see what work ethic really means. It might pay off v. Ott.

I also have fears, especially because I feel we'd be a high-potential first-round upset; but a lot better than the last few years. An attack! A real top line! Almost forgot.

This game had alarm bells all over it - especially as you knew how eager the Laffs would be to step it up against us.

Learning experience for a very young, steadily improving team. Though the signs of a brighter future were there at the start of the season, anyone offering 3 points out of first in the East by early February would have been laughed at or locked up. Young team, will learn.

Yes, it's unacceptable to lose to the Laffs. Good game to see what work ethic really means. It might pay off v. Ott.

I also have fears, especially because I feel we'd be a high-potential first-round upset; but a lot better than the last few years. An attack! A real top line! Almost forgot.

I think that if somebody told us that we would have assumed that 3 points out of first would not put you 8 points out of 9th though.

Last 2 years the Sabres and Sens finished up close to 110 pts. This year it looks to be around 104-105.

I think that if somebody told us that we would have assumed that 3 points out of first would not put you 8 points out of 9th though.

You're right about the assumption. However, based on our recent annual 'performances', I would have been ecstatic being three points out of 1st if we played in the Southeast division (or whatever it's called).

I know a hot streak by Blunts or Rags can move them up the table like a shot, but the youth is panning out, we're able to field a relatively young team, we have decent stuff on the farm, and overall, we're winning, playing exciting hockey.

Bah, sucked that we lost, but this was one hell of a game. A clear showcase why no arena comes close to the Bell centre. Man, Kovy's short-handed goal was such an awesome play, after the scramble in front of our net and then he's all alone. That's what hockey's about.

Well, we didn't play all that well, but once again it wasn't that bad either. We had plenty of chances but just couldn't bury them. Our powerplay had great control in their zone but we just couldn't put the right passes together. Andrei Kostitsyn didn't have his best night, I think on our third or fourth powerplay Carbo should have put Latendresse out with Plex and Kovy to stand in front of the net and bang in rebounds.

Once again it was our top line being our offensive catalysts, but I think Koivu had a pretty good game, and his line was decent. Higgins was pretty useless again, I'm not sure what's going on with him or what it'll take to get him out of the funk. Brisebois was pretty bad, he had some costly defensive breakdowns again. It might even be better to just put Dandenault in that spot, I think he's more physical and more responsible.

But really, the most remarkable thing about this game was AK27, he was a man among boys out there. Amazing to watch.

Anyways, I don't care if we don't catch the Sens because I never thought that it would happen for us (although it could be nice). I'd still be happy with this team finishing in a playoff spot, and anywhere above 7th is an unexpected bonus. Let's not forget where we thought this team was before the season started, we're doing great and first place isn't a big concern for me.

This is the best post ever. Makes me feel like I was there!!!!!

Thanks Neech

Well that didn't work. Carbo, turn the Line Blender off... put back together the proper lines and LEAVE THEM TOGETHER for a few games to get some flow and rhythm going.

KoKoPlex line ... untouchable

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Kid Line of S.Kost - Laps - Gui ... this line does good work, the kids like playing with each other

Begin - Smoke - Kostopoulous/Dandenault/Streit

Good morning Ladies!

Was at the game last night. I've got no voice left...i screamed "Leafs Suck" and "six-ty-se-ven" all night long!

It really sucks that the Boys didn't show up last night. No, Wait. Let me rephrase that! It sucks that the boys showed up for about 7 minutes in the 1st period, and showed up for about 10 minutes in the 3rd. the rest of the game, Toronto controlled the puck. Our Passing was dreadful, the Leaves players were on the puck first most of the time. At least 4 or 5 good slap shots from the point COMPLETELY missed the net... by 1/2 a mile while the Habs were on the PP!

Once again the Plex-Kovy-Kosty line provided all our offense. Allthough Kosty had some problems, but he's playing so well lately, everyone is allowed one bad game in a while.

Once again, Koivu didn't look like he wanted to be there. Higgins also made quite a few mistakes. Our defense was somewhat shaky, but that was to be expected without Hamrlik. Brisebois should be forced to retire. He is sooo shaky out there, it incredible that this guy is an NHLer!?!?!

Price did an OK job. He kept the team in the game early on. He is NOT to blame for this loss.

I seriously think that the only players who can actually look at themselves in the mirror this morning and not feel ashamed for last night's loss are Kovy, Plex, Komisarek and Price. Komisarek played a good game. He gave at least 2 or 3 THUNDERING bodychecks(they were really loud!) and managed to get Sundin off the ice for 2 minutes as well!

In the end, I left the Bell Centre with my head down. Ashamed that my boys couldn't beat on an A.H.L. team. How pathetic is that? The worst thing about this is that now they have to go to Ottawa, and play against the Hens who will have Heatley and Alfredsson back...Ouch that might hurt!

Edited by Habsfan