Alberta Provincial Election March 3, 2008

Pierre the Great

There is a laaaaaarge amount of hatred for Stelmach.

I don't know if it's enough for another party to win but I don't see a landslide like in the past. Theres attack ads being run against him just financed by regular business owners and citizens. I'll be effing ecstatic if he loses this thing though. Some of my friends are the most conservative people in the world and even they are gonna vote for Taft.

I can't wait to help get this idiot out of office.

I Miss king ralph :(

I think we all do.

I could handle a Tory minority. I remember visiting Parliament in Edmonton in Grade 10 and you had the ruling party on one side with the opposition on the other side. Half of the opposition's side was more Tories, that needs to go.

Best part was the NDP guy sitting by himself. Each party was seperated so he just looked so freakin lonely, it was hilarious.

Speaking of lowly parties, I think the Greens might have a decent showing. I seem to remember one of their best ridings in the '06 provincial election was mine. I personally won't vote for them and would move out of the country if they ever won a Federal election but theres just a minor prediction I have.

I'll probably just vote along with my sister for Kevin Taft.

The Tories really messed up in choosing Stelmach, last year during the Ralph Klein replacement sweepstakes the two top candidates were a really conservative guy and a kind of liberal guy, the two camps were at each others' throats so the party chose Stelmach as a compromise. Having a leader who was chosen by default seems like a recipe for disaster, and the guy has of course turned out to be an idiot. Kind of like how Dion became head of liberal party now that I think about it.

Edited by Dirty Harry

lol the greenies are just tories with a hippie streak.

You know, I've mentioned that to my buddy who thinks he's an ultra-left wing hipster because he votes for the Green party. He gets really mad whenever I do though.

Anyway, a lot of their strongest ridings are in Alberta though, Read himself predicted they'll get 2 seats. Last time I checked the polls though, they were only at 7%. Polls suggest a Tory majority again. :wacko:

No one misses Ralph. That guy gladly shoved his nose up the ass of corporate Calgary and asked for seconds. In addition to being a shill for oil and gas, the infrastructure pains that Calgary and Edmonton are facing now are all largely his doing.

http://www.770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm...=news_local.cfm

This poll show the Conservatives way ahead of the Liberals, 52-25.

They won the last election 48.8-29.4 BTW.

Yeah, thats what we need. A new ######ing science centre. Who cares we have zero bus drivers, shitty roads, high tuition, poor public transportation and a rising crime rate. No, we need a science centre.

How about giving the money you promised to Bronco in order to solve our actual problems. What a bunch of BS.

I hate this province.

Yeah, thats what we need. A new ######ing science centre. Who cares we have zero bus drivers, shitty roads, high tuition, poor public transportation and a rising crime rate. No, we need a science centre.

How about giving the money you promised to Bronco in order to solve our actual problems. What a bunch of BS.

I hate this province.

haha i've always seen alberta as sort of a fool's gold anyway. then again i'm biased and i live in b.c.

http://www.770chqr.com/news/news_local.cfm...=news_local.cfm

This poll show the Conservatives way ahead of the Liberals, 52-25.

They won the last election 48.8-29.4 BTW.

I don't think polls will work in this election. Its basically about a farmer who doesn't know anything running a party that's been in power forever. So its all about disenfranchised p.c. voters not showing up which they very could do.

Tory support in rural Alberta on shaky ground

DRAYTON VALLEY, ALTA. — 'The boom is over. Look at this," said Michael Karach, as he thumbed through a thick stack of résumés. "A year ago, we had to beg people to work for us. Now they are knocking down our door."

The 33-year-old manages a small welding shop in Drayton Valley's industrial park and while it's still busy with work from oil companies, he's anxious about the future.

So are many of his neighbours in this community of 6,000. Located 140 kilometres southwest of Edmonton, it's a service hub for conventional oil and gas activity in the area.

Corey Babcock, who co-owns a small oil well servicing company with his brother, recently had to lay off three workers. "If Ralph Klein was still in there, this wouldn't be happening," he said. "No way."

Roger Epp, a professor of political science at the University of Alberta, said political discontent in rural Alberta has "never known how to focus itself."

He said the Tories have carefully cultivated a deep relationship over the years with this key part of their power base - spending big money on local infrastructure such as roads, schools and hospitals. Rather than vote for anyone other than the Tories, most rural Albertans would instead prefer to stay away from the polls altogether, he added.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

People stay home, weird things happen in politics.

Okay first prediction (i'll do another one just before the election)

I see the Liberals gaining 7 seats and the Wild Rose people gaining 6 the key here isn't the Liberals but these new rural party people.

So first prediction

49 P.C.

23 Liberal

7 Wild Rose

4 NDP

majority of 13 P.C.

now if the wild rose comes out big in the boonies.

lets say gets 15

That would mean

41 P.C.

23 Lib

15 WR

4 NDP

minority govt by one riding

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.thestar.com/comment/columnists/article/305033

On a flight to Edmonton a few days ago, one of my Fort McMurray-bound seatmates was surprised to learn that an Alberta election had actually been called. With the campaign half over, he and his travelling companions greeted the news of the March 3 vote with the detachment that usually attends a remote weather forecast.

This apathy goes some way to explain why only one in four voters in Alberta's oil-sands capital cast a ballot in the last provincial election – a dismal low even for a province where turnout has fallen sharply over the reign of a long-standing Conservative dynasty.

It also raises the question of whether the legions of so-called new Albertans who have been drawn to the province's red-hot labour market since the last vote will find their way to the polls in great enough numbers to have a significant impact on its outcome next month.......

Still, the oil sands are the ground zero of Canada's failure to deal effectively with climate change. Alberta energy giants are currently contributing the bulk of the industrial increase in greenhouse gas emissions with more on the way. But the energy sector also accounts for a rare positive note in an otherwise gloomy national economic forecast.

In the lead-up to the election, the Alberta Conservatives put forward a plan to address climate change that even their federal cousins could not live with or, at least, not without abandoning their own already modest targets.

While no one in power on Parliament Hill is about to break radio silence on the issue for the duration of the Alberta campaign, the Harperites and their provincial Conservative cousins are on a collision course. Any federal government that is even mildly serious about fighting climate change would be.

Regardless of the outcome of the March 3 vote, it is only a matter of time before federal policy-makers have to confront the fact that finding a way to work productively with Alberta on climate change has displaced the unity file for top-level attention.

Given the political sensitivities that attend any energy-related discussion in Alberta, a Conservative federal government with solid roots in the province could be better placed to advance the file than one with no representation. But by the same token and as counterintuitive as it may seem, a Liberal victory in Alberta next month would probably make Prime Minister Stephen Harper's life easier. On this core issue, the Alberta Liberals and the federal Conservatives are ultimately closer to being on the same page.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080303/...al/elxn_alberta

Officials are worried that the turn out is way too low.

If they're worried about turnout being lower then 44% like last time.... 25% lol

which would mean.... democracy... dead... in Alberta??? :huh:

and here i thought they cared so much about their firewall and that albertan nationalism baloney. canary in the coal mine.

Edited by Pierre the Great

I will never understand why anyone votes Green. In my eyes, it's a waste of a vote because 99.9% of the time, that person never gets in. Then the voter whines that the person who was second would have been a better choice than the person who won the vote. Well then, don't waste yer freakin' vote and choose the best guy of the ones with a chance to win and effect change!

In my opinion, if you vote Green, or something bizarre like that, you can't complain when whatever party gets into power. You could have made a difference, but instead you decided to "make a statement." That statement being: my vote means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

I will never understand why anyone votes Green. In my eyes, it's a waste of a vote because 99.9% of the time, that person never gets in. Then the voter whines that the person who was second would have been a better choice than the person who won the vote. Well then, don't waste yer freakin' vote and choose the best guy of the ones with a chance to win and effect change!

In my opinion, if you vote Green, or something bizarre like that, you can't complain when whatever party gets into power. You could have made a difference, but instead you decided to "make a statement." That statement being: my vote means nothing in the overall scheme of things.

proportional representation fixes that problem.

:lol:

My friend is hardcore Green. I gotta show him this post next time he goes on a rant, thanks Colin.

My brother in law's mom was one of the volunteers at our voting station, said she was bored out of her mind because no one was showing up, lol. Not surprised considering Calgary has had all-time lows in recent municipal elections.