1st Place?

Wamsley01

I really think the opponent's ranking in the standings has very little to do with your chances of beating them. It depends on a lot of different factors, like what style of hockey the teams play. To me, it's very simplistic to look at the 6 games and say, we will beat Buffalo, Phoenix and LA and lose to San Jose, Nj and Phoenix. But now that the first three games are over, I'm expecting a loss to Anaheim and one of the two weaker teams.

I'm cheering for the Leafs all the way. Not just because we want NJ to lose, but I also want th eLeafs to keep on winning. I wouldn't even mind if the Leafs finished 7th or 8th - as long as they can avoid that top pick!

I don't want the Leafs to make the playoffs. The only way I can vote for that team is if they have nothing to gain.

The head can't convince the heart. They will not get anywhere near Stamkos unless Toskala/Sundin get hurt.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think the opponent's ranking in the standings has very little to do with your chances of beating them. It depends on a lot of different factors, like what style of hockey the teams play. To me, it's very simplistic to look at the 6 games and say, we will beat Buffalo, Phoenix and LA and lose to San Jose, Nj and Phoenix. But now that the first three games are over, I'm expecting a loss to Anaheim and one of the two weaker teams.

I disagree. Usually when a top 5 team in the NHL faces off against the 30th team in the NHL, the top 5 team will win 75% of the time.

The win agains the devils was a pleasant surprise. The loss last night was somewhat expected. So would a loss next sunday(against the Ducks) But I fully expect the habs to win against the Coyotes and the Kings. No excuses. they need to win both those games!

one nice thing about NJ winning is that if they take the Atlantic and we take the Northeast, it postpones a possible meeting in the playoffs.

True. AS long as we can stay at the top of the North Eastern division, we'll avoid the Devils and the Pens in the first round.

The other team I don'T wanna face in teh first round is the Rangers.

We have our first elimination as the Lightning cannot achieve 92 points.

Woohoo! 3 more losses and the leaves will be eliminated!

We have our first elimination as the Lightning cannot achieve 92 points.

Vinny deserves better.

Like Montreal.

Habs have to play 0.321 to make the playoffs and .0785 to win the Conference.

The latter will be tough but I hope they accomplish the former in thier next 6 or 7 games.

105 might look a bit high, but I'll say this... it is entirely possible for 1 of the top 3 teams to pull off that kind of record to reach 105 points, so I don't see the need for an adjustment on that total at this point. We're talking a total that will "guarantee" top spot rather than what point total "might" get you in.

Ottawa is suddenly looking in danger of dropping to the 6-8 seeds. It's still highly unlikely they tank so badly that they get passed by a current non-playoff seed, even with their dismal last place pace since new year (they've been worse than LA, Tampa, Atlanta and Toronto since Jan. 1), but their current pace suggests that any of the Rangers, Bruins, and Flyers could surpass them.

I still don't want to really face them in Round 1.

105 might look a bit high, but I'll say this... it is entirely possible for 1 of the top 3 teams to pull off that kind of record to reach 105 points, so I don't see the need for an adjustment on that total at this point. We're talking a total that will "guarantee" top spot rather than what point total "might" get you in.

Ottawa is suddenly looking in danger of dropping to the 6-8 seeds. It's still highly unlikely they tank so badly that they get passed by a current non-playoff seed, even with their dismal last place pace since new year (they've been worse than LA, Tampa, Atlanta and Toronto since Jan. 1), but their current pace suggests that any of the Rangers, Bruins, and Flyers could surpass them.

Yeah, I will change it if looks like all the teams are going to eliminate themselves

Agreed. For some reason our Habs are intimidated by the Hens.

I'm still just worried about the playoffs, more than winning the East. I love seeing us at the top of the standings, but then when I see 85 points, I remember that we haven't got there yet. Once we break 93, I'll think about nothing other than winning the East (or finishing 2nd if that means playing the Bruins).

Ouch, Philly is hacking away. They don't look like strong bets to hang on.

They had a 3-0 lead and could have buried the Leafs and they let them get off the canvas.

If they make it I bet it is by their fingertips

If the Caps win 2-3 games this week they get to finish with the Panthers, Lightning, Thrashers and Canes in their final 8. They are in good shape

Edited by Wamsley01

Please tell me how much do you love this..........and does it not up our chances on this play-off run. I love real confidence ....taken from TSN.

"During a TV time out in the Montreal Canadiens' 4-0 win over New Jersey this week, rookie goalie Carey Price went to the team bench and asked his teammates, ''Why don't we go play in their end for a bit?''

Defenceman Josh Gorges offered that vignette as an example of the low-key humour and growing confidence of the gifted goaltender from Williams Lake, B.C., who looks to have grown in stature since the No. 1 job was thrust upon him after the Canadiens dealt veteran Cristobal Huet to Washington at the NHL trading deadline on Feb. 26. "

Please tell me how much do you love this..........and does it not up our chances on this play-off run. I love real confidence ....taken from TSN.

"During a TV time out in the Montreal Canadiens' 4-0 win over New Jersey this week, rookie goalie Carey Price went to the team bench and asked his teammates, ''Why don't we go play in their end for a bit?''

Defenceman Josh Gorges offered that vignette as an example of the low-key humour and growing confidence of the gifted goaltender from Williams Lake, B.C., who looks to have grown in stature since the No. 1 job was thrust upon him after the Canadiens dealt veteran Cristobal Huet to Washington at the NHL trading deadline on Feb. 26. "

I have been on his jock since the Calder Cup run. I love the kid. You can see he is starting to feel it and believe in himself.

He is starting to make the huge saves that people were wanting earlier in the season. He is getting scary good.

Lovin' it! It sounds like something Patrick Roy would have said.

I'm really happy to hear that Carey is gaining in the confidence department. We all know goalies need confidence in themselves...alot more than forwards or d-men!

How many of these threads do we need around here? People, stick to the original!

Anyways, while it won't take this many points, but right now a guaranteed playoff spot in the East is 98 points (Buffalo is in 9th with 79 points, and if they ran the table would get 98 points).

Here's the "magic numbers" site: http://zorak.best.vwh.net/nhl/

Atlanta and Tampa can't possibly catch us anymore, and 1 more point makes it out of reach for the Islanders. So it's 9 points between us and Buffalo right now for a playoff spot... and that drops for each point they don't gain. So if they lose in OT, it's down to 8 points, no matter what we do. If we win, it drops to 7. If we win, and Buffalo loses in regulation, the magic number drops by 4 points.

We're clear of Washington with 8 points, and Florida in 6. Toronto in 4. Again every point won by us and lost by them reduces the number.

In short, it won't be long before we start seeing "x's and y's" by EC teams in the standings.... showing the clinching of the playoffs first (x) and then division (y). Well, I guess it'll be a while before we see a "y", all divisions are still pretty close. New Jersey, Montreal, and Pittsburgh all have magic numbers for making the playoffs of under 10.