O'Byrne and Kostopoulos arrested

les_glorieux

Canadiens defenceman Ryan O'Byrne and forward Tom Kostopoulos spent last night in a holding cell in the Tampa jail after they were arrested outside a South Tampa night club early this morning.

O'Byrne was charged with grand theft, while Kostopoulos was charged with resisting an officer without resistance.

Both were freed shortly before 9 this morning after posting bail. O'Byrne's bail was set at $2,000, while Kostopoulos has to pay $500.

They were arrested around 3 a.m. outside Whiskey Park, a popular watering hole in South Tampa. The incident started when a woman set her purse on the counter top, according to the police report. She noticed it was missing and allerted the bouncers. They saw O'Byrne outside with the woman's purse in one hand and her cellphone in the other.

O'Byrne told police it was his girlfriend's purse, but police determined it was the woman's, according to the report. He was detained and placed in the back of a police car.

According to the report: "Several associates, who were identified as National Hockey League players/members, crowded around the officers and the police car. They were told numerous times to get away from the car and not to interfere."

Kostopoulos was arrested when he refused to obey the police order.

Edited by les_glorieux

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gazette's Pat Hickey reports this morning from Tampa that Canadiens defenceman Ryan O'Byrne and forward Tom Kostopoulos spent last night in a holding cell in the Tampa jail after they were arrested outside a South Tampa night club early this morning.

O'Byrne was charged with grand theft, while Kostopoulos was charged with resisting an officer without resistance.

Both

were freed shortly before 9 this morning after posting bail. O'Byrne's bail was set at $2,000, while Kostopoulos has to pay $500.

Read the full story here.

Grand Theft? WTF

That's really nice. A team that just got dismantled is out partying until 3am and stealing things from the community. Totally classless. I hope they are both benched the rest of the year.

Regardless of the playoffs you have to make a stand against that type of behavior.

Goddamn it, can we just have a nice successful season for once? No drama? No B.S.? No self-sabotage?

My guess is O'Bryne was drunk out of his mind and might even have honestly thought it was his girlfriend's purse, but give me a break, this is complete balderdash.

According to the report: "Several associates, who were identified as National Hockey League players/members, crowded around the officers and the police car. They were told numerous times to get away from the car and not to interfere."

Fu.cking PIGS, there was no need to arrest Kostopoulos. Pigs just like to impose their authority for no reason, other than to boost their pathetic ego's. They should be eating doughnuts!

That's really nice. A team that just got dismantled is out partying until 3am and stealing things from the community. Totally classless. I hope they are both benched the rest of the year.

Before you start bitching against the players, you should know that it was the rookies dinner last night. It's been planned months in advance. And you shouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers, you should know better than that!

Edited by Habsfan

Goddamn it, can we just have a nice successful season for once? No drama? No B.S.? No self-sabotage?

My guess is O'Bryne was drunk out of his mind and might even have honestly thought it was his girlfriend's purse, but give me a break, this is complete balderdash.

Two huge games coming up. Games that are must win if they want to avoid a tailspin into fighting for their playøff lives

and they have now created this huge distraction.

If they sleepwalk through Florida I am going to lose it.

My guess is O'Bryne was drunk out of his mind and might even have honestly thought it was his girlfriend's purse,

What if it was an honest mistake? What then?

Why in the world would O'Byrne steal a freakin' purse only to stand outside in front of the establishment in which he apparently stoile the purse?

You know that this chick in the bar is gonna take advantage and she's gonna want to sue a hockey player.

Two huge games coming up. Games that are must win if they want to avoid a tailspin into fighting for their playøff lives

and they have now created this huge distraction.

If they sleepwalk through Florida I am going to lose it.

They had better come out fighting like wild animals in both the Florida games. I mean they had better come out in the 1st period of each game and take a 3 goal lead, or else I'll be really pissed!

What if it was an honest mistake? What then?

Why in the world would O'Byrne steal a freakin' purse only to stand outside in front of the establishment in which he apparently stoile the purse?

You know that this chick in the bar is gonna take advantage and she's gonna want to sue a hockey player.

They had better come out fighting like wild animals in both the Florida games. I mean they had better come out in the 1st period of each game and take a 3 goal lead, or else I'll be really pissed!

It does sound a little ridiculous. I mean an NHL player stealing a random woman's purse, then standing around in front of the bar?

I mean, where is the meat? Did he try to use her credit card to pay for the meal? Was he selling her phone on the street?

Did they find her $$ in his wallet? Sounds like solid Police work.

Maybe it will be the opposite and it will glavanize the team.

Maybe it will be the opposite and it will glavanize the team.

I hope you'Re right!

This might be a sign that the boys were actually standing up for each other!

Whether it was a rookie dinner or not, stealing and resisting arrest is totally unacceptable. If they are in jail, i'm pretty sure they did what they are accused of. The paper didn't send them to jail. It's simply poor behavior and they need to suffer the consequences.

Here is a more likely scenario... he is drunk.. he takes her purse to get her number.... He is using her cell phone.. ie.. looking up her cell number on the phone...

Stupid..

However, people shouldn't bash the police and claim they were just harrassing them... we were not there. If you were a cop and a bunch of large drunk athletes were interfering, you would drop them in the car too... for all we know, Kost was warned 10 times...

O'Byrne obviously was acting like an idiot because he was probably drunk out of his mind.

Kostopoulous got arrested because the police decided to show the millionare athletes who's boss. Emery got pulled over and had a verbal argument with a cop in Ottawa yesterday, same kind of thing.

But of course, we can't blame cops for these two acting like clowns. Not the kind of behaviour you want to see from a rookie, that's for sure.

Guys, do you honestly beleive that Obyre was stealing the woman's purse? The guy will likely make millions in his career, he knows that. He has no reason to steal it.

And why would he stand by the bar with it in his hands if he really wanted to steal the thing. Also, good for Kosto for sticking up for his team mates.

Guys, do you honestly beleive that Obyre was stealing the woman's purse? The guy will likely make millions in his career, he knows that. He has no reason to steal it.

And why would he stand by the bar with it in his hands if he really wanted to steal the thing. Also, good for Kosto for sticking up for his team mates.

Well, one of us on these boards seems to believe evrything they read in teh papers! :rolleyes: even though it makes absolutely no sense at all!

Here is a more likely scenario... he is drunk.. he takes her purse to get her number.... He is using her cell phone.. ie.. looking up her cell number on the phone...

Stupid..

However, people shouldn't bash the police and claim they were just harrassing them... we were not there. If you were a cop and a bunch of large drunk athletes were interfering, you would drop them in the car too... for all we know, Kost was warned 10 times...

I would bet the truth lies somewhere in between like always. But I have been harrassed by police in the US.

To the point they were following me around and trying to bait me to say the wrong thing.

That being said, I never took the bait. So Kostopolous was not to bright.

The story still lacks meat though. Booze was obviously involved, because what type of Police officer would look at an NHL team out

having dinner and establish that O'Byrne fits the profile of purse thief if he had an adequate explanation.

I am interested to hear the full story, shouldn't be long knowing the Montreal Press.

I hope you aren't referring to what I wrote. I didn't bash them, merely pointed out that US authorities are draconian most of the time, and that it wouldn't surprise me if they indeed overreacted. They may not of overreacted ... no one will know until more details are released.

So I ain't bashing!

Just thought about it, considering it was the rookie dinner...possibly it was a rookie dare kind of scenario?

Anyhow, Gainey does not seem like the kind of guy who appreciates this kind of publicity. It reminds of Corson getting into frequent fights in Montreal bars, and getting knocked out once by that ex-NFLer. Strangely enough, the fellow came by my high school to talk about his battle with drug addiction and talked quite candidly about knocking him out.

Montreal Gazette is reporting the following new info: According to police, $20 was missing from the woman's purse.

So an NHL player making well over $100,000 a year stole $20 and a cell phone from a woman's purse during a team meal that probably cost thousands.

This is so ridiculous