O'Byrne and Kostopoulos arrested

les_glorieux

He probably just picked it up thinking it was his girlfriend's purse and he was too drunk to realize it wasn't.

Obviously he wouldn't steal something and then just stand outside with it.

girlfriend?? if he was out with guys from the team, there was no girlfriend involved. wasted, trying to get a girl's attention, big mouth to the cops, friends backing a buddy, etc. will get WAY overblown in the montreal press, good thing they're in florida for a couple of days.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet the truth lies somewhere in between like always. But I have been harrassed by police in the US.

To the point they were following me around and trying to bait me to say the wrong thing.

That being said, I never took the bait. So Kostopolous was not to bright.

The story still lacks meat though. Booze was obviously involved, because what type of Police officer would look at an NHL team out

having dinner and establish that O'Byrne fits the profile of purse thief if he had an adequate explanation.

I am interested to hear the full story, shouldn't be long knowing the Montreal Press.

Its the rare hockey player who is bright. :)

The story says that the bouncer pointed them out to the cops. I suspect a guy standing in the parking lot holding a purse would kind of stand out in a purse snatching. :lol:

In any case, I suspect Kost was being taken in to settle things down and will get off with a warning after he has sobered up. O'Byrne might be screwed. Even if he just wanted her number, or it was part of a prank, he took her purse and then lied to the cops (probably). He better hope the woman doesn't want to make an issue of it...

Gainey must be furious.

girlfriend?? if he was out with guys from the team, there was no girlfriend involved. wasted, trying to get a girl's attention, big mouth to the cops, friends backing a buddy, etc. will get WAY overblown in the montreal press, good thing they're in florida for a couple of days.

They might have allowed wifes and girlfriends. Remember they were going to foot the bill for the families at Christmas

and the league stepped in and said it would count against the cap.

But seeing as Price, Kostitsyn and O'Byrne were paying, it probably did not involve girlfriends.

Its the rare hockey player who is bright. :)

The story says that the bouncer pointed them out to the cops. I suspect a guy standing in the parking lot holding a purse would kind of stand out in a purse snatching. :lol:

In any case, I suspect Kost was being taken in to settle things down and will get off with a warning after he has sobered up. O'Byrne might be screwed. Even if he just wanted her number, or it was part of a prank, he took her purse and then lied to the cops (probably). He better hope the woman doesn't want to make an issue of it...

Gainey must be furious.

This is going to be a circus in the next 2-3 days. All the networks are going to run with this.

I can already see the footage of the redneck cop standing beside the highway explaining the details to reporters.

Well, one of us on these boards seems to believe evrything they read in teh papers! :rolleyes: even though it makes absolutely no sense at all!

but i'm agreeing with you

This is going to be a circus in the next 2-3 days. All the networks are going to run with this.

I can already see the footage of the redneck cop standing beside the highway explaining the details to reporters.

The best thing the Habs can do is win both games in Florida, and take 3 out of a possible 4 points vs the Flyers this week end.

If they can do that, this whole idiotic story will be forgotten pretty quickly!

The best thing the Habs can do is win both games in Florida, and take 3 out of a possible 4 points vs the Flyers this week end.

If they can do that, this whole idiotic story will be forgotten pretty quickly!

One can hope

What the hell was this woman carrying in her purse for it to be considered grand theft??

For a grand theft classification doesn't it have to be over a fairly significant number? Like $1500+??

Who carries that much in their purse to a bar?

Further, it seems to be a giant waste of the courts/cops time to do anything more then give the poor woman her purse back...anyone else want to bet that this was a rookie dare/bet that got out of hand??

Can only be one of a handful of things:

1) it was a rookie dare that got out of control rapidly

2) he was trying to pick up the woman and was too drunk to realise he was being an idiot(perhaps #1 led to his efforts in #2)

3) he was so drunk he actually did think it was his girlfriends...

4) he has kleptomania...simply being a theif is a ridiculous assertion, the guy already makes more money then most so a minor theft like this would be pointless unless he has a problem.

I'd like to know what he was doing with the womans cellphone...maybe he was calling his girlfriend to find out why her purse was in a Florida bar...LMAO.

Or perhaps he was drunkenly hitting on the woman in the bar who, in using the powder room, asked him to watch her purse and meet her outside...then proceeded to say he stole it...knowing he's an NHL player, who was looking to get laid, and because he was probably being(like most hockey players on the road LOL) a lecherous a-hole.

You could come up with a myriad of reasons really.

Whether it was a rookie dinner or not, stealing and resisting arrest is totally unacceptable. If they are in jail, i'm pretty sure they did what they are accused of. The paper didn't send them to jail. It's simply poor behavior and they need to suffer the consequences.

:rolleyes::blink::wacko: :puke:

Everyone ranting at the police need to take a breather..

Athletes should not get special attention. It is not up to the police to decide if they will go forward with formal charges, it is up to the prosecutors. For all we know, the prosecutors will cut a deal for misdemeanor, have him apologize to the young lady, and do some community service. Might be a good lesson for him.

The cops were called to a theft. A guy was in the parking lot caught with it. He then made up a BS story to them. His drunk buddies were trying to interfere. They were told to back off. One of them didn't so they took him in to.

I really don't see why anyone thinks they cops should have just gone "oh, you are a hockey player? Our apologies, let's just give the girl her purse back and we will call it a day".

Of course, I am from Belleville and remember the Dan Cleary days... I have no trouble believing that hockey players would be out of control and thinking they are above the law. :)

Let's just hope the team doesn't let it distract them and gets there 4 points out of Florida...

Edited by brobin

That's really nice. A team that just got dismantled is out partying until 3am and stealing things from the community. Totally classless. I hope they are both benched the rest of the year.

Regardless of the playoffs you have to make a stand against that type of behavior.

You spend too much time in libraries... I'm sure it was a harmless prank. Don't be so uptight.

Whether it was a rookie dinner or not, stealing and resisting arrest is totally unacceptable. If they are in jail, i'm pretty sure they did what they are accused of. The paper didn't send them to jail. It's simply poor behavior and they need to suffer the consequences.

Seriously dude... you're a Bush supporter right?

Rookie dinner... probably cost a lot and he was looking for some extra coin! LOL... Come on... the guy makes serious money compared to dull normals, do you really think he was planning on running off with an extra $50 from some chicks purse?

Seriously dude... you're a Bush supporter right?

Rookie dinner... probably cost a lot and he was looking for some extra coin! LOL... Come on... the guy makes serious money compared to dull normals, do you really think he was planning on running off with an extra $50 from some chicks purse?

Who cares.. maybe he was trying to get her phone number out of her phone. its still wrong. Worse, it tells me he is the kind of low life that evades people's privacy.

Who cares.. maybe he was trying to get her phone number out of her phone. its still wrong. Worse, it tells me he is the kind of low life that evades people's privacy.

LOL... seriously? Are you seriously making this big of a deal out of this? Maybe you and 'Chris' should move off to a monestary or something...

The guy has piles of money in his future, he was out with his teammates and he did something stupid... end of story. He hasn't killed anybody, raped anyone... according to what someone wrote earlier, the chick (probably also drunk) claimed to be missing $20.... If $20, and looking at a cell phone is enough to demonize someone in your eyes, then god help the j-walkers!

Makh2o,

I think you're being a bit too cavalier in your attitude: for whatever reason, he took a woman's purse and left the establishment with it. That is STEALING, plain and simple. Whether it was just a prank or not, he did it, and now he'll have to suffer whatever concequences the district attorney and then a judge decides is appropriate.

Makh2o,

I think you're being a bit too cavalier in your attitude

Maybe, but I'm just trying to pull this conversation back into reality. I'm not, by any means, defending their actions, but it was a 3am on a Sunday night, after a big team dinner... something stupid happened, in most cases things like this would be cleared up with an 'Oops - Sorry'... but the bouncers were probably afraid to confront the players themselves, and so the cops were called.

Stupid stuff happens, but at the end of the day it wasn't that big of a deal. If anything, I think this'll probably bring the team closer together.

Go Habs Go!

This isn't the sort of thing I had hoped for when O'Byrne was recalled.

Let's hope they clear this up. It sounds like it has been blown out of proportion.

Ryan makes 615,000 dollars per year I don't think this was theft but it does not look good for the organization to have a top prospect and at least 1 regular out carousing and causing trouble on the road. I would think they should have been in bed by 3:00 am not fighting with cops.

Maybe, but I'm just trying to pull this conversation back into reality. I'm not, by any means, defending their actions, but it was a 3am on a Sunday night, after a big team dinner... something stupid happened, in most cases things like this would be cleared up with an 'Oops - Sorry'... but the bouncers were probably afraid to confront the players themselves, and so the cops were called.

Stupid stuff happens, but at the end of the day it wasn't that big of a deal. If anything, I think this'll probably bring the team closer together.

Go Habs Go!

Well I hope you have that same attitude when some punk in a bar goes through your wife / girlfriends / sisters purse and mines it for personal information.

There is absolutely no excuse for someone to takes someone else's purse (who they don't know), leave a bar, and go through it. Period.

Its is illegal. It is classless. It is unethical. It is the sign of someone who thinks they are above commonly acceptable behavior.

Put yourself in the woman's shoes for a minute. She probably couldn't care less if he is a hockey player from Canada. In her mind, he is a thieving creep and potential stalker.

The fact that he was drunk and a hockey player is no excuse, imo. I certainly wouldn't blow it off and I am sure Gainey won't either. The law might be the least of their issues once Gainey gets a hold of them.

I would not be in the least surprised for Gainey to suspend them both without pay until the matter is resolved.