Habs love in the new Hockey News

Wamsley01

still no replies?

Well, this is a boring thread because you didn't inform us of the things they said.

But if the idea was to tell us that the Habs are finally being taken seriously by the media, it's been going on for a few weeks now and it was all started by our buddy Pierre MacGuire. It's good for the team, for sure.

Just how it wasn't their fault, they stand by their prediction.

Brophy claims that it was reasonable because they had question marks in goal, Carbonneau had a dubious debut last season,

Kovalev was a disaster etc etc.

No mention of their total lack of respect for Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Markov, Hamrlik etc.

No mention of losing Souray, but they totally stood by the Habs getting worse. Nonsense of course.

Now he concludes with all the youth and the great scouting that the Habs will be contenders for years.

Funny how when a couple of prospects blossom that all the other ones look better eh.

He says how Gainey is doing a great job, he has been very patient. Blind. The whole point of these reporters

is inform us of these things before hand. Anybody can come to these conclusions after watching 60 games.

Just how it wasn't their fault, they stand by their prediction.

Brophy claims that it was reasonable because they had question marks in goal, Carbonneau had a dubious debut last season,

Kovalev was a disaster etc etc.

No mention of their total lack of respect for Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Markov, Hamrlik etc.

No mention of losing Souray, but they totally stood by the Habs getting worse. Nonsense of course.

Now he concludes with all the youth and the great scouting that the Habs will be contenders for years.

Funny how when a couple of prospects blossom that all the other ones look better eh.

He says how Gainey is doing a great job, he has been very patient. Blind. The whole point of these reporters

is inform us of these things before hand. Anybody can come to these conclusions after watching 60 games.

I as a fan, always claim Habs will win a cup or make the play-offs. Growing up in Toronto and having a sister who was a die hard Leaf fan led me to be this way. No matter where the Habs stood we were going to win it all every night and every year. I used to cry when her friends would come over in their Turnbull,Sittler, Palmateer, Salming jersey's and watch them beat our Habs on a Saturday night.

With this attitude I never put too much into reading Hockey forecasts, they always talk about a broad band of things with a bunch of ifs and buts. Most usually they are completely wrong.

If you go back to our posts during the summer a lot of us Habsworld guys were predicting to have a year similar to last. Would Kovalev show up? Would the kids improve? Huet-Price? No UFA's.

If Kovalev didn't show up this year we'd probably be in the basement with the Leafs and I would still be claiming we'll win the cup. When unsure of a bet to place on a certain game or team, seek out the most popular choice and then flip it. You will win 50% of the time or more.

My point is it's tough to be right in Sports, so I don't care what they write, but it is nice to get respect. Hey it's opened Vinny's eyes. I like the idea of that. Thanks Hockey News and whoever else.

I as a fan, always claim Habs will win a cup or make the play-offs. Growing up in Toronto and having a sister who was a die hard Leaf fan led me to be this way. No matter where the Habs stood we were going to win it all every night and every year. I used to cry when her friends would come over in their Turnbull,Sittler, Palmateer, Salming jersey's and watch them beat our Habs on a Saturday night.

With this attitude I never put too much into reading Hockey forecasts, they always talk about a broad band of things with a bunch of ifs and buts. Most usually they are completely wrong.

If you go back to our posts during the summer a lot of us Habsworld guys were predicting to have a year similar to last. Would Kovalev show up? Would the kids improve? Huet-Price? No UFA's.

If Kovalev didn't show up this year we'd probably be in the basement with the Leafs and I would still be claiming we'll win the cup. When unsure of a bet to place on a certain game or team, seek out the most popular choice and then flip it. You will win 50% of the time or more.

My point is it's tough to be right in Sports, so I don't care what they write, but it is nice to get respect. Hey it's opened Vinny's eyes. I like the idea of that. Thanks Hockey News and whoever else.

Predictions are as reliable as those who write them.

If the Hockey News had given a write up about the youth and how it may evolve and that would determine the future

I would be ok with that, but THN is a huge publication with a budget for research in each city, but what do we get?

Souray is gone, PP will drop, 5 on 5 sucked, Habs will be worse. They call that research? Then the Leafs are reviewed

in the same lazy manner. Toskala is better than Raycroft, they must be better.

Predictions are ridiculous in the first place, but at least somebody who takes time to provide a solid argument

as to why they came to their conclusion, then they can use those variables to show why they were wrong.

Brophy says Carbo, goaltending and Kovalev were the reason? Bloody nonsense. It is a weak backtrack.

Kovalev was brutal, Aebischer was horrid and the Habs ran the last month with a rookie. How the ###### could those

be worse this year? And not just worse, but to drop the Habs from 10th to 13th!

So I am to believe that the Hockey News felt Carbonneau would be worse after a learning year in which his two mentors

disappeared mid-season (Andy Murray - Blues and Gainey - death of his daughter). So he would have learned nothing?

I am supposed to believe that Kovalev is going to play worse than last year when he had career lows and started a full

blown controversy with the Russian newspaper thing?

And the goaltending was supposed to be so much worse because up to before Huet had been injured he was coming off

an All-Star appearance, Price won the AHL Playoff MVP and Halak had gone 10-6 down the stretch?

Please, but if they are going to finally get down and show some appreciation that helps their reputation. I am all for it.

I for one thought that the Canadiens woiuld finish 13th. not much because I underestimated the team but I thought that others woud be better.

I'm sure that boston would be in front of us if it wasnt for fernandez, bergeron and murray being injured long time. toronto, even If I hate them, looked good with toskala and blake.

however I never thought that Kovy would be the leader her is rigght now...he never was. I never thought that komisarek could elevate his game to become the next rod Langway.

raise your hands if you honestly thought that olekanecs and the kostitsyns were THAT good !!

who could predict that streit would be as good on pp ??

right now I'm am happy to say that I was wrong and I can't say that the team is over acheiving. they're playing sound hockey.

eventhough there aer some gaps, I don't see any major issues in the next future.

this team will be acup contender for the next 5-6 yers at least.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I for one thought that the Canadiens woiuld finish 13th. not much because I underestimated the team but I thought that others woud be better.

I'm sure that boston would be in front of us if it wasnt for fernandez, bergeron and murray being injured long time. toronto, even If I hate them, looked good with toskala and blake.

however I never thought that Kovy would be the leader her is rigght now...he never was. I never thought that komisarek could elevate his game to become the next rod Langway.

raise your hands if you honestly thought that olekanecs and the kostitsyns were THAT good !!

right now I'm am happy to say that I was wrong and I can't say that the team is over acheiving. they're playing sound hockey.

eventhough there aer some gaps, I don't see any major issues in the next future.

I think I predicted for a worst case scenario we were looking at 92 points and best case was around 104-105.

I banked on Kovalev at least matching what he did. I banked on the goaltending being better with the departure of Abby.

I banked on Pleks, Higgins, Komisarek getting better and I figured that Kostitsyn would make the team.

I assumed that Koivu would give his regular 60-70 points. I assumed Ryder would have a big UFA year (oops)

I figured on Hamrlik being a big upgrade on Souray and he would offset the offense with defense.

I figured Carbo would be better, there was no Samsonov distraction. I liked the acquisition of Brisebois and the return

of Streit to the back end to create a more mobile defense.

I didn't think they could be worse than last year, and if the youth stepped up I thought that they were a mid pack playoff team.

I have not really been that surprised this year. I did think Higgins would make a bigger impact than he has,

I did not forsee Koivu slumping for so long, or Ryder. I thought Pleks would improve to a 65 point player and

I thought Kostitsyn would show flashes but no consitency, so those were nice surprises.

I was hesitant to predict a strong season because I have been burnt by these guys in the past, but I definitely did

not doubt the direction of the team.

Well, actually I've been waiting for all of those things for a while, it was never such a stretch that Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Komisarek would develop into who they are now (aside for Plekanec, who only showed this potential last season - the other two showed it before they were even drafted).

Kovalev had already proven to us that he could be an almost point-a-game player and Streit had already proven that he could be a decent PP quarterback and a pretty good bottom line forward.

We already knew that Hamrlik for Souray was a sideways move and maybe even an upgrade for the team.

All the facts were in front of our faces, the only doubt I had was because we should have been having this exact season last year but everything collapsed. I still have a bit of doubt.

But I believe that we'll be a top 6 seed in the East this season and win atleast one playoff round - and then I also believe that we win the Cup in 09. We'll see if I'm right. :)

I was going to send those guys an email and laugh at them but I wanted to wait until the end of the season to be sure (unlikely, but just in case the habs did tank at the end).

I don't read it much, my cousin has a subscription so I do glance at it occasionaly, but it sounds like they have some very lazy writers who don't know enough players in depth and are just predicting based off stat sheets. You'd expect these guys to be watching all the players on all 30 teams and know a thing or two about them since that is their job. That's not easy I admit, you have to really know hockey, but again, that is their job.

Frankly I've found that the best league wide writers/analysts (not just covering one team, or like tsn, covering just canadian teams) are at espn.com/nhl.

I was going to send those guys an email and laugh at them but I wanted to wait until the end of the season to be sure (unlikely, but just in case the habs did tank at the end).

I don't read it much, my cousin has a subscription so I do glance at it occasionaly, but it sounds like they have some very lazy writers who don't know enough players in depth and are just predicting based off stat sheets. You'd expect these guys to be watching all the players on all 30 teams and know a thing or two about them since that is their job. That's not easy I admit, you have to really know hockey, but again, that is their job.

Frankly I've found that the best league wide writers/analysts (not just covering one team, or like tsn, covering just canadian teams) are at espn.com/nhl.

If you want to learn about hockey message boards are the best way to do it.

When you read somebody on a website you rarely get a personal exchange of ideas, and when you do the

writer generally feels because he is a professional he is above you. Same with print.

In here you can have discussions that may last for weeks that bring various viewpoints and thought provoking

ideas. Sure sometimes you have to skip through nonsense, but at the end of the day you are more informed

because of it. It is no surprise when you see some lazy hack writer spewing things that are discussions

on these forums. They come here as well.