Game Thread | Habs vs. Penguins | 21/02/08

Cataclaw

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, somebody needs to step up with strong goaltending. They need to make big saves.

Average play will not cut it.

Average?

Average

You have to be kidding me Huet was a wet t-shirt tonight.

Crap! Had it and blew it. Bad pass by Komi, but Huet needed to make a save tonite and didn't. Had some breakdowns, but Huet clearly had a brutal game. Ryder just missed an open net to tie it at 5. Would have been nice to pull another comeback, but couldn't hold the lead.

A few observations:

1) Laps solid, gritty work lately.

2) Markov has been very inconsistent defensively lately.

3) Huet has been pretty terrible the last while. Even though Price had a tough game against the Rangers, I would ride with him. Not trying to dump on Huet, but might as well go with the young stud.

4) Kovy a offensive and physical force.

5) Ryder gaining confidence, but it may be too late.

6) Gorges looking better and better each game.

Average?

Average

You have to be kidding me Huet was a wet t-shirt tonight.

He was less than stellar, but I can't blame him for not stopping Malkin on a clear cut breakaway,

I can't fault him for the Gonchar goal he did not see, and I can't fault him for the Dandy tip

and the rebound that 3 habs did not pick up Malone on.

If he plays good they win, but he was average at best. Not good enough.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WE HAD IT....4-3...

that call on Hamrlik was just AWFUL. absolute phantom call, i only saw one replay but i didnt see any interference there. Huet simply was not good enough.

He was less than stellar, but I can't blame him for not stopping Malkin on a clear cut breakaway,

I can't fault him for the Gonchar goal he did not see, and I can't fault him for the Dandy tip

and the rebound that 3 habs did not pick up Malone on.

If he plays good they win, but he was average at best. Not good enough.

That to me, is just too many weak goals going in on Huet!!

That to me, is just too many weak goals going in on Huet!!

I am not defending him, just not blaming him.

If that is what he has to give for the stretch run then Price better be ready.

The habs were outshot badly and Huet did not pick them up, that is his job.

If he was sharp then maybe he stops the Malone shot and comes up huge against Malkin.

If so we win, but he did not and we lost. Price on Saturday, I hope the kid can rebound.

Edited by Wamsley01

Huet lost this one. Plain and simple. Sometimes your goalie wins one for you, sometimes he loses one. That is why it sucks to play nets. "Its All You Fault!!" Tough game, but Carbo goes with him on Saturday and he wins. He has always been given that shot after a bad outing. Why not this time?

Actual reslts:

Ryders trade value +2

Huets trade value -.5

No trade until after Columbus. Remember folks, Ryder scores in three game bunches. He will max out perfectly at trade deadline with 2 or 3 more vs CBJ. Then we will all go, drat he was getting hot. Next season when he gets 30 somewhere we will not notice he did it in 16 games in spread out chunks. He is streaky, but scary when those eyes are glazed.

My hat off to Saku tonight. Please play that way every game down the stretch, occassionally raising it one or two notches higher!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Huet lost this one. Plain and simple. Sometimes your goalie wins one for you, sometimes he loses one. That is why it sucks to play nets. "Its All You Fault!!" Tough game, but Carbo goes with him on Saturday and he wins. He has always been given that shot after a bad outing. Why not this time?

Actual reslts:

Ryders trade value +2

Huets trade value -.5

No trade until after Columbus. Remember folks, Ryder scores in three game bunches. He will max out perfectly at trade deadline with 2 or 3 more vs CBJ. Then we will all go, drat he was getting hot. Next season when he gets 30 somewhere we will not notice he did it in 16 games in spread out chunks. He is streaky, but scary when those eyes are glazed.

He is streaky as hell.

Halak anyone :)

In the end it was a team loss. When you get outshot 30-20, it's hard to blame the goalie. Hopefully goalie consistency does not become a problem.

It's one loss...move on. I just checked Ottawa, and Pens schedules, and they both play back to back this weekend. Habs will get some rest after CBJ. Let's hope for the best. In the end all I care about is that the team continues to show character...ie: beating New Jersey at home, getting 2 points in the home at home with Ottawa. (I know Ottawa was weak for that game, but whatever.) and their come from behind win against Rags.

I am very happy to see the 2nd line producing, but I am concerned that the 3rd and 4th just aren't playoff lines. 3rd and 4th lines win playoff series.

Huet was weak tonight...let in a couple of softies...just like Price did last game. Can either of these guys be rock solid for a sustained period of time???

Koivu played really well tonight...hope it continues.

Kovalev was awesome...tho he got a little over-enthused about punishing Malkin physically when he took that penalty. If a few other guys relished laying the body to Malkin the way Kovalev did tonight, we might have won.

How many times this season have these guys had a PP to go up by 2 and done nothing with it.. only to lose the game... .

Excellent point. I was about to say the same thing!

Actual reslts:

Ryders trade value +2

Huets trade value -.5

Regarding trades.

Huet needs to stay. He might be streaky, but they need someone with some experience. Play the hot hand.

Which impact player would you most like to see?

My List

1. Brian Campbell (no explanation required if you know anything about hockey at all.)

2. Dan Boyle (I like strong "D". Look at the impact Hammer has made.)

3. Bobby Holik (Veteran shut down guy. Gritty, hard hitter. We play 1st line against 1st line a lot. We need a shut down line.)

4. Sundin (Consistency. Questions are, how would he fit in? How would Koivu feel being 3rd line C)

5. Hossa (Sniper, I think he would fit in well. Kinda got a Russian theme going on. Question his playoff performance though.

6. Tanguay (No thanks. Trade a streaky set up guy for a streaky sniper. Can't see it. However he is ver skilled, and I like signing and drafting Canadians. Canadians win championships.)

7. Richards. (HELL NO)

Edited by BCHabnut

He is streaky as hell.

Halak anyone :)

Funny, I was thinking all game,"we have 3 excellent goalies, who are either stellar or bums. Never plain good. Stellar or bums." With all three goalies showing the potential to win a bunch and stink for a bit, I'd say Huet could, maybe, be done here. I have no confidence pregame in any of our goalies, but feel all three are great. That is really strange. I think the team could win with any of them on a normal night, but all 3 will suck once in a while. Therefore, I think any of the two will do. Huet's value is higher, as is is salary and age.

Well the next 4 games are huge

Columbus

Atlanta

@Buffalo

New Jersey

Then they have their west coast trip

They need to pick up at least 6 points in those 4 games!

I'm still fv.cking pissed off that they battled back to take the lead and they just let it go. FV.CK!

Edited by Habsfan

To people saying Huet lost this one, yeah he was bad. But Sabourin stunk as well. Neither made a big save, but the Penguins managed to get a few more shots on goal to get an extra one in. We also missed a few open nets.

What is this new Habs team we have, a potent offense held back by crappy goal-tending? Is this bizarro world?

It was really the Komisarek pass that did us in, right when Malkin scored that I had a sinking feeling that they would take the lead. I also had a bad feeling when the fans were taunting Malkin, I knew that would come back to bite us in the ass. Taunt the goalie, people, not the leading scorer in the league, too bad Sabourin's name has three syllables I guess.

It was nice to see Lapierre fight, his crouch position was kind of funny but he held his own, despite getting his shirt all torn up by Talbot who is obviously a whore.

Our top lines weren't really clicking, A. Kosty had a down game, and Higgins as well (despite his goal). Koivu was looking good again. Lats is getting there. Ryder is playing his best hockey of the season, but he's always been streaky.

All in all, it was a loss, but not a big deal at all. We got behind, but fought back. Our goal-tending was crappy but so was theirs, it would have been a 3-2 game with guys playing well in nets. Price should probably get the start on Saturday, but it's no big rush to go back to the guy who was pulled in the first two days ago. We just need to play a bit smarter at times as a team.

In the end it was a team loss. When you get outshot 30-20, it's hard to blame the goalie. Hopefully goalie consistency does not become a problem.

It's one loss...move on. I just checked Ottawa, and Pens schedules, and they both play back to back this weekend. Habs will get some rest after CBJ. Let's hope for the best. In the end all I care about is that the team continues to show character...ie: beating New Jersey at home, getting 2 points in the home at home with Ottawa. (I know Ottawa was weak for that game, but whatever.) and their come from behind win against Rags.

I am very happy to see the 2nd line producing, but I am concerned that the 3rd and 4th just aren't playoff lines. 3rd and 4th lines win playoff series.

Did they? Higgins redirects a prefect pass from......Kovalev!!

Ryder was back on the 3rd with Lapierre

Koivu scored mid line change so his line wasn't fully on I believe.

Great to see them all hitting the score board. Too bad they still ain't doing it together.

Speaking of hitting. Laps kicked that dudes butt.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

2 Dallas stars scouts at the game tonight according to the CJAD post-game show.

According to 2 sources very close to CJAD, there are two offers out there to G.Ms on the table regarding Ryder....

woops my bad, this should be in Rumours section - my bad.

To people saying Huet lost this one, yeah he was bad. But Sabourin stunk as well. Neither made a big save, but the Penguins managed to get a few more shots on goal to get an extra one in. We also missed a few open nets.

What is this new Habs team we have, a potent offense held back by crappy goal-tending? Is this bizarro world?

It was really the Komisarek pass that did us in, right when Malkin scored that I had a sinking feeling that they would take the lead. I also had a bad feeling when the fans were taunting Malkin, I knew that would come back to bite us in the ass. Taunt the goalie, people, not the leading scorer in the league, too bad Sabourin's name has three syllables I guess.

It was nice to see Lapierre fight, his crouch position was kind of funny but he held his own, despite getting his shirt all torn up by Talbot who is obviously a whore.

Our top lines weren't really clicking, A. Kosty had a down game, and Higgins as well (despite his goal). Koivu was looking good again. Lats is getting there. Ryder is playing his best hockey of the season, but he's always been streaky.

All in all, it was a loss, but not a big deal at all. We got behind, but fought back. Our goal-tending was crappy but so was theirs, it would have been a 3-2 game with guys playing well in nets. Price should probably get the start on Saturday, but it's no big rush to go back to the guy who was pulled in the first two days ago. We just need to play a bit smarter at times as a team.

No this is 2 more point lost by Huet he must be the worst clutch goalie in the league.

Price better start Saturday or I will puke.

No this is 2 more point lost by Huet he must be the worst clutch goalie in the league.

Price better start Saturday or I will puke.

What would be the mood on this board if we had not won on Tuesday. I know I would be paranoid.