More fuel to the Fire

Wamsley01

http://habsinsideout.com/main/4323

Just thought I would toss on a little more fuel to the Huet/Price battle. Woooooooooooooosh!!

Huet is ranked behind....wait for this JOSE THEODORE! Yikes and the chosen one is ranked as the number 1 prospect in hockey.

Do we really want to invest in the 22nd ranked goalie in the NHL for 5 years?

note: I think the Hockey News is full of shit.

Edited by Wamsley01

Just thought I would toss on a little more fuel to the Huet/Price battle. Woooooooooooooosh!!

Huet is ranked behind....wait for this JOSE THEODORE! Yikes and the chosen one is ranked as the number 1 prospect in hockey.

Huet is a good goalie and Montreal should hold onto him for the playoff run. Outside of New Jersey, I don't believe any team in the east is as strong as the Habs in net.

I do not think Montreal moves forward by signing him next year, so ride him out until next year.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

Yeah at this point that seems like the best rout, Huet is good but I don't think any better than a price/halak combo would be at this point. Some people will be wringing their hands about losing him as a UFA but he doesn't have much trade value atm, not much of a market for rental goalies amongst contenders.

Can't see BG trading away Huet at this point. He'll either decide in the offseason to give Huet an offer depending on where he see Price's role as becoming No. 1 or still needing a high end partner who can play 40 games. If Huet wants to stick around, BG may give him 2-3 years at 4 million tops. Anything beyond is ludicrous. Not sure that there is much of a market for Huet now, or even in the summer.

My observations on Huet. Some spectacular games to steal the Habs 2 points. Lots of wishy-washy goals. Very inconsistent. Unlike last years where he was quite the difference, the team is much better and scores way more goals. I definitely don't think Huet is a goalie who can shut the door and give his teammates tons of confidence like a Luongo or Brodeur.

He's still a solid goalie that should play maybe 40-50 games MAX.

I do not expect Huet to be signed for next year and I would not be upset if he was traded now.

Good goalie but we don't need him.

Unless Gainey does trade for a serious impact player right now then trading Huet is a smart thing to do. We are not winning the cup with our current roster (as impressive as they can play).

I do not expect Huet to be signed for next year and I would not be upset if he was traded now.

Good goalie but we don't need him.

Unless Gainey does trade for a serious impact player right now then trading Huet is a smart thing to do. We are not winning the cup with our current roster (as impressive as they can play).

Tampa wants a goalie, financial flexability and to sign Boyle. Trading Huet to Tampa with a farm good prospect and a first this year (Plus maybe a second next year)should get Richards. This solves Tampas financial problem, gives them the number they need to sign Boyle and Huet. Tampa would be in better position next year to make the playoffs, have two first round picks and a decent goalie.

But that is my thinking after listening to their GM on the radio a couple of times and the HINTS he dropped.

Montreal is in a unique position with the quality of young players and a little financial flexability. Montreal can now start looking forward to guys wanting to play for the Habs as the team is winning!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

1. If Gainey feels Huet brings stability to our nets in some shape or form He might sign him and maybe even give him a little more money,until Prce or Halak are ready.

2. Gainey would never sign Theodore for the reasons mentioned above, because he is the same if not worse and much, less stable then Huet.

3. In the open market Huet will make more then he is making now, and Theo? If he wants to keep working he will have to take a pay cut..

As far as Price goes,besides his great achievements outside of the NHL, which can't be ignored.(Hence the Hockey News rating)I've yet to see what all the Hoopla! is about. Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful jjust like the rest of you. I've seen a few great performances and a mind blowing one once. It actually worries me that Hockey News has him rated so high since my tendencies usually are to bet against such forecasts. Granted Price is very young, a lot of goals he let's in are pretty weak when it comes to reflex.....he seems to rely on positioning and size which worries me since the NHL has plenty of sharp shooters that can pick him apart.

In my gut I can't help but feel that when all is said and done it will be Halak that will rise to the top. That kid is a sound all around goalie with plenty of potential that is growing rapidly and fortunately out from under a microscope.

Anything can change over-night. I think Huet is better then he's given credit for, but in today's NHL it's unfortunate that we will probably have to let him walk. I'm sure Gainey will give him a more then fair offer in the summer, and depending on what other offers Huet has on the table will dictate if we'll get to keep him around. Gainey likes his little safety nets, and Huet is a safety net. We still need one since Price or Halak have not decided to take his job..................................................Yet..............................

1. If Gainey feels Huet brings stability to our nets in some shape or form He might sign him and maybe even give him a little more money,until Prce or Halak are ready.

2. Gainey would never sign Theodore for the reasons mentioned above, because he is the same if not worse and much, less stable then Huet.

3. In the open market Huet will make more then he is making now, and Theo? If he wants to keep working he will have to take a pay cut..

As far as Price goes,besides his great achievements outside of the NHL, which can't be ignored.(Hence the Hockey News rating)I've yet to see what all the Hoopla! is about. Don't get me wrong I'm hopeful jjust like the rest of you. I've seen a few great performances and a mind blowing one once. It actually worries me that Hockey News has him rated so high since my tendencies usually are to bet against such forecasts. Granted Price is very young, a lot of goals he let's in are pretty weak when it comes to reflex.....he seems to rely on positioning and size which worries me since the NHL has plenty of sharp shooters that can pick him apart.

In my gut I can't help but feel that when all is said and done it will be Halak that will rise to the top. That kid is a sound all around goalie with plenty of potential that is growing rapidly and fortunately out from under a microscope.

Anything can change over-night. I think Huet is better then he's given credit for, but in today's NHL it's unfortunate that we will probably have to let him walk. I'm sure Gainey will give him a more then fair offer in the summer, and depending on what other offers Huet has on the table will dictate if we'll get to keep him around. Gainey likes his little safety nets, and Huet is a safety net. We still need one since Price or Halak have not decided to take his job..................................................Yet..............................

I enjoy the majority of your posts Saks but, I think putting Halak ahead of Price is lunacy. This goes way beyond any personal feeling for either goalie here , the entire hockey world of GM's, players, and scouts see Price as the clear standout. If someone had the slightest incling that Halak could be that good they could have traded for him for next to nothing in return.

Take a look at the age gap between Price and Halak, then look at the games played....that my friend is your answer and the future.

Saks, he is 20 years old. I don't know if you ever watched Roy's rookie year, or Brodeur at 20 or how overmatched Luongo was at 20.

The kid has come up and stole 2-3 games already, I understand that he is the top rated prospect but what are the expectations on this kid?

Was he supposed to come up, be great positionally and be acrobatic as well? Was he supposed to be the best goalie in the NHL? Because

that is what he would be if he was both those things. If history has proven anything, it is 20 year old goalies are inconsistent.

I think he has done as well as a 20 year old could at the NHL level. Hence the praise from the whole league.

As far as Halak, he let in his fair share of bad goals as well in his NHL time and he was less than stellar on the road.

He is also 3 years older than Price. I don't really see the logic behind the post and a feeling is essentially a stab in the dark.

Also, the NHL sharpshooters have not picked him apart in their shootout attempts where he has been pretty dominant

including an 8 save performance against the Penguins. SHouldn't they have picked him apart?

Edited by Wamsley01

Saks, he is 20 years old. I don't know if you ever watched Roy's rookie year, or Brodeur at 20 or how overmatched Luongo was at 20.

The kid has come up and stole 2-3 games already, I understand that he is the top rated prospect but what are the expectations on this kid?

Was he supposed to come up, be great positionally and be acrobatic as well? Was he supposed to be the best goalie in the NHL? Because

that is what he would be if he was both those things. If history has proven anything, it is 20 year old goalies are inconsistent.

I think he has done as well as a 20 year old could at the NHL level. Hence the praise from the whole league.

As far as Halak, he let in his fair share of bad goals as well in his NHL time and he was less than stellar on the road.

He is also 3 years older than Price. I don't really see the logic behind the post and a feeling is essentially a stab in the dark.

Also, the NHL sharpshooters have not picked him apart in their shootout attempts where he has been pretty dominant

including an 8 save performance against the Penguins. SHouldn't they have picked him apart?

No kidding!

Roy was the master at letting in 60 foot slap shots, especially in his first year. What he did in the playoffs was incredible. The overtime saves he was making were out of this world. In my opinion, the 93 cup run performance by Roy was the greatest goaltending performance of all time.

No kidding!

Roy was the master at letting in 60 foot slap shots, especially in his first year. What he did in the playoffs was incredible. The overtime saves he was making were out of this world. In my opinion, the 93 cup run performance by Roy was the greatest goaltending performance of all time.

If not, it is up there at ther top. Personally though, I believe it will be overshadowed by Price in 2008. Well, one can dream.

I totally get and understand what you and Habitforming are saying, and believe me I love Price. Like I stated I'm hopeful JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU he will turn out to be what everyone is saying he'll be. My feelings are somewhat a stab in the dark, but that's what I feel at the moment.

Looking at time spent ONLY WITH THE BIG TEAM. Halak came up and stole a bunch of games for us and pitched a few shut-outs under extreme.....extreme.......extreme........EXTREME!!!!!!! pressure to make the play-offs as a bottom feeder. Maybe we would have made the play-offs if Carbo had let the kid play instead of putting Huet in against the Leafs. Maybe Halak would have gone on a tear and won the cup. MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

I saw with my own eyes Halak perform in Nashville. Mind you it was a 6-5 game against Vokoun.......but he was still great at times and won in the shoot-out.

My earlier post was not an anti Price post. I think the kid has extreme potential.......because I see it, not because Rollie says so or Hockey news, or Don Cherry or Bob Mckenzie.........but at the same time you can't discredit Halak. The kid is good! Geez, you guys make it like Halak and every other goalie in the world should quit and retire because there is no chance for them with Price around.

It's going to take me a while to call Price a goalie god. I put so much faith in Theo back in the day......man that dude pisses me off. To be so good one week and then so shit the next is unbelievable to me. Talk about never knowing when a goalie was going to let you down.

So anyways, I'm not down on Price, I see the good, but I also see it in Halak. So much so that he could very easily come up and steal the show while no- one is looking, regardless of age and past resume. They both have what? 20 NHL games under their belt. As fans, we will always pick sides and favourite players......that's what we do.....I'm not doing any of that here. I'M JUST SAYING.

To say these are lunatic posts or there is no Logic to the posts is lunacy in itself.........at this point anyways.

*But yes.....Carey is a winner, he appears to have all the tools. Will he be like Roy? I can only wish.

I totally get and understand what you and Habitforming are saying, and believe me I love Price. Like I stated I'm hopeful JUST LIKE ALL OF YOU he will turn out to be what everyone is saying he'll be. My feelings are somewhat a stab in the dark, but that's what I feel at the moment.

Looking at time spent ONLY WITH THE BIG TEAM. Halak came up and stole a bunch of games for us and pitched a few shut-outs under extreme.....extreme.......extreme........EXTREME!!!!!!! pressure to make the play-offs as a bottom feeder. Maybe we would have made the play-offs if Carbo had let the kid play instead of putting Huet in against the Leafs. Maybe Halak would have gone on a tear and won the cup. MAYBE!!!!!!!!!

I saw with my own eyes Halak perform in Nashville. Mind you it was a 6-5 game against Vokoun.......but he was still great at times and won in the shoot-out.

My earlier post was not an anti Price post. I think the kid has extreme potential.......because I see it, not because Rollie says so or Hockey news, or Don Cherry or Bob Mckenzie.........but at the same time you can't discredit Halak. The kid is good! Geez, you guys make it like Halak and every other goalie in the world should quit and retire because there is no chance for them with Price around.

It's going to take me a while to call Price a goalie god. I put so much faith in Theo back in the day......man that dude pisses me off. To be so good one week and then so shit the next is unbelievable to me. Talk about never knowing when a goalie was going to let you down.

So anyways, I'm not down on Price, I see the good, but I also see it in Halak. So much so that he could very easily come up and steal the show while no- one is looking, regardless of age and past resume. They both have what? 20 NHL games under their belt. As fans, we will always pick sides and favourite players......that's what we do.....I'm not doing any of that here. I'M JUST SAYING.

To say these are lunatic posts or there is no Logic to the posts is lunacy in itself.........at this point anyways.

*But yes.....Carey is a winner, he appears to have all the tools. Will he be like Roy? I can only wish.

I agree that Halak has done nothing to desearve anything but praise. he is a great goalie and should be given a chance and he desearved to play vs Toronto. At the time I likened it to Johnson starting instead of Flutie for the Bills. When it comes crunch time you go with the guy who got you there, not the guy who was suppose to.

I am not critical of Halak, but he has done no more than Price did in his NHL stint and is 3 years older.

In 12 of his starts he gave up 3 goals or more, the game where you praise him he gave up 5. He has his flaws as well and

any question of Price can be labelled on him as well.

I have been on here for months saying I want to go with the Price/Halak tandem next year, so I could hardly be viewed as trying to discredit Halak.

I just think that the expectation level on Price can be out of control at times. He is learning every game he steps between the pipes

and he is going to be inconsistent most likely for the next couple of years. But Huet is 32 and doing the same thing, so I feel we can

hardly be worse off.

This team has created a ton of fears in it's fanbase in the last 10 years. Fear they will collapse this year,

fear that Price will flame out like Theodore, fear that Halak could be the next Vokoun. Well, we can't live in fear

anymore. Price is actually ahead of schedule, so I tend to give him a huge benefit of the doubt. That won't change for me for now.

I am not critical of Halak, but he has done no more than Price did in his NHL stint and is 3 years older.

In 12 of his starts he gave up 3 goals or more, the game where you praise him he gave up 5. He has his flaws as well and

any question of Price can be labelled on him as well.

I have been on here for months saying I want to go with the Price/Halak tandem next year, so I could hardly be viewed as trying to discredit Halak.

I just think that the expectation level on Price can be out of control at times. He is learning every game he steps between the pipes

and he is going to be inconsistent most likely for the next couple of years. But Huet is 32 and doing the same thing, so I feel we can

hardly be worse off.

This team has created a ton of fears in it's fanbase in the last 10 years. Fear they will collapse this year,

fear that Price will flame out like Theodore, fear that Halak could be the next Vokoun. Well, we can't live in fear

anymore. Price is actually ahead of schedule, so I tend to give him a huge benefit of the doubt. That won't change for me for now.

Cool..... :clap:

I hope we get the solid, stone wall tonight and not the geometry student in practice because Nash can pick those corners tight inside the posts all day long.

GO PRICE GO!!!!!!!!!

Halak looks an excellent goalie. And sure, whatever the 'pundits' say - and they have been wrong many, many times (Wickenheiser) and will continue to be so - we all have feelings about players, instincts, stats and numbers aside. My own instincts say that Price is a go-to guy. The team seems just to push that much more forward with him, play with more confidence, play a bit more loose. In short, I think they trust him more than Halak.

Also, Halak is obviously playing phenomenally well in Hamilton, and deserves to be either at worst, our back-up next year (and who knows, he might beat Price out), or maybe traded to a team where he won't be behind two other goalies (in all honesty, I think Huet sealed it v. Pens, and we'll go with the two youngsters next year. I think Huet is going to be packaged before the deadline, and if there aren't any takers, we'll lose him like Souray, with a firm idea that we are, in fact, upgrading).

People were taking shots because most don't feel what you do, most think the team knows who is better at this stage, most will agree with all the pundits (it is pretty remarkable, the unanimity of the Price thing), and hey, it's the internet, realm of the below-the-belt.

Halak looks an excellent goalie. And sure, whatever the 'pundits' say - and they have been wrong many, many times (Wickenheiser) and will continue to be so - we all have feelings about players, instincts, stats and numbers aside. My own instincts say that Price is a go-to guy. The team seems just to push that much more forward with him, play with more confidence, play a bit more loose. In short, I think they trust him more than Halak.

Also, Halak is obviously playing phenomenally well in Hamilton, and deserves to be either at worst, our back-up next year (and who knows, he might beat Price out), or maybe traded to a team where he won't be behind two other goalies (in all honesty, I think Huet sealed it v. Pens, and we'll go with the two youngsters next year. I think Huet is going to be packaged before the deadline, and if there aren't any takers, we'll lose him like Souray, with a firm idea that we are, in fact, upgrading).

People were taking shots because most don't feel what you do, most think the team knows who is better at this stage, most will agree with all the pundits (it is pretty remarkable, the unanimity of the Price thing), and hey, it's the internet, realm of the below-the-belt.

Kind of off topic, but I am heading down to see Halak tomorrow vs the Marlies. I am interested in seeing him

and Grabovski.

I was going to go to that game but tickets were soldout online. Did you get yours a while ago?

A buddy of mine is a Leaf fan and he offered them up. I usually head to Hamilton when i want to catch

a Bulldogs game. I am looking forward to seeing Chips, Grabs, Halak and Valentenko

Outside of New Jersey, I don't believe any team in the east is as strong as the Habs in net.

I really don't agree with this, I think we've been getting mediocre goaltending all season (Huet and Price combined) except for a couple of standout performances. Neither of our goalies have been consistant and I'd rather have one goalie that can play 70 good games than two that can play 35.

I'm also in the let Huet walk camp. I would never trade him at the deadline, but I don't see the point in re-signing him in the offseason. Will we have inconsistant and unreliable goaltending with Price and Halak in net? definitely, but we're having the same thing this season with Price and Huet.

I really don't agree with this, I think we've been getting mediocre goaltending all season (Huet and Price combined) except for a couple of standout performances. Neither of our goalies have been consistant and I'd rather have one goalie that can play 70 good games than two that can play 35.

I'm also in the let Huet walk camp. I would never trade him at the deadline, but I don't see the point in re-signing him in the offseason. Will we have inconsistant and unreliable goaltending with Price and Halak in net? definitely, but we're having the same thing this season with Price and Huet.

Bingo