Game Thread | Habs vs. Blue Jackets | 23/02/08

Cataclaw

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes goalies cost you a game.

You cannot continually play from behind every night because your goalies lay first period eggs.

They have come out of the first with a lead once in the last 8 games.

That was going to bite them in the ass sooner or later

True, but you can't always toss the game because a goalie let in a soft one. Good teams get it back. The team has played much better from an effort perspective, but they have to score a few. Price has at least held the fort and it is not like they are playing defensive because they are afraid of another goal.

While we are talking about the first period, let's not forget that the whole team was flat in the first 10 minutes. Teams know to come out and pounce on them.

I will say that the BJs play a brutally effective trap system. Reminds me of NJ from a few years back.

I still didn't think the first goal was particularly bad. Not convinced you can COUNT on a goalie to make a cross-crease save like that; maybe I'm wrong.

If not, then what we're really saying is that one bad goal sunk us and that this loss is Price's fault. Forget that. We need to play tigher in the first and not run around in our end, period.

Higgins is a grave disappointment, yes. His problem is that he hurries too much. If he can't figure out a way to slow things down, he will forever be a third-line winger with 'great potential.' But there's still a long road ahead for him.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

If Leclaire gets this shutout, I'm doomed in my hockey pool. My team is just starting to make a comeback, I was hoping to win for the second straight year but damn Niklas Backstrom hasn't had a shutout since he had two in the first week of the season!! :angry: Meanwhile, Leclaire gets shutout after shutout and the first place teams becomes uncatchable.

True, but you can't always toss the game because a goalie let in a soft one. Good teams get it back. The team has played much better from an effort perspective, but they have to score a few. Price has at least held the fort and it is not like they are playing defensive because they are afraid of another goal.

While we are talking about the first period, let's not forget that the whole team was flat in the first 10 minutes. Teams know to come out and pounce on them.

I will say that the BJs play a brutally effective trap system. Reminds me of NJ from a few years back.

More like the Flyers with little scoring punch. If you shut out Nash they have a lot of trouble.

My point is they have bailed out the goalies alot lately, they can't survive like that

More like the Flyers with little scoring punch. If you shut out Nash they have a lot of trouble.

My point is they have bailed out the goalies alot lately, they can't survive like that

Really, I thought they bailed them out once lately. :)

I still didn't think the first goal was particularly bad. Not convinced you can COUNT on a goalie to make a cross-crease save like that; maybe I'm wrong.

If not, then what we're really saying is that one bad goal sunk us and that this loss is Price's fault. Forget that. We need to play tigher in the first and not run around in our end, period.

Higgins is a grave disappointment, yes. His problem is that he hurries too much. If he can't figure out a way to slow things down, he will forever be a third-line winger with 'great potential.' But there's still a long road ahead for him.

No, I am saying that they are not good enough to consistently pick them up. And unfortunately for Price

this is crunch time and he cannot have any weak ones.

Like Big Bird said to Roy "No more soft ones". That was not exactly a great pass followed by a beautiful finish.

Price set the tone, especially on number 2.

Malhotra scores...

Call up Halak.

I like Halak and I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been given a shot at any point this season. But is it wise to call him up at this point? Or would that just have a whiff of panic? I say, give Huet at least one more chance to come in a play a strong game.

I'd like to point out that if the Habs don't score, it's kinda hard to blame the goalie.

Yeah, but Columbus given an early lead sets into their gameplan.

You cannot win at this time of year with teams battling for their lives and players battling for jobs

by allowing weak goals.

I am sorry, but I am not going to blame an offense that saved their bacon on Tuesday and almost

saved their bacon on Thursday. At what point are they responsible?

We are so easy to lay praise at the feet of Roy for 93 and 86, but where is the praise for Claude

Lemieux, Brian Skrudland, Stephane Richer in 86, where is the praise for the 10 OT goal scorers in 93?

Why is Roy given the bulk of the credit? Why was Price hailed as the hero last Saturday?

You can't have it both ways. If they are praised for victories, then ###### them they are getting blamed for

poor performances as well.

Edited by Wamsley01

This might sound weird but I think Price is worrying too much about his persona. He is known for being very calm and making it look like he's not trying. So I think that sometimes, he lets that get in the way and is always thinking about making it look easy. The first goal seems to be an example: he was trying so hard to make it look like he wasn't trying that he actually didn't try. Had he gone full out and forgotten about looking cool and collected he could have made that save - but he took it easy.

It's nice that he has his own little trademark but he can't let that get in the way of stopping pucks.

Not sure if anyone else was thinking the same thing...