Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

So instead of losing him for nothing like Souray, he got the best deal and only deal out there a second pick.

Negative sir. Several teams inquired. Only some showed real interest. I"m not sure about the accuracy but another team offered a 5th for Huet and it was considered was one of the more "serious" offers excluding Washington.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative sir. Several teams inquired. Only some showed real interest. I"m not sure about the accuracy but another team offered a 5th for Huet and it was considered was one of the more "serious" offers excluding Washington.

ouch, pretty low price for one of the top 10 goalies in the league eh

AS much as I'm sad to See Huet go, and as much as I'm disappointed that Bob couldn'T get much more for Huet...I think it might not be a bad thing to have traded him away.

Can we all agree that the habs will NOT win the Cup this year. I thikn it's safe to say that most of us agree on this!?!

If the habs make the playoffs (Which is 90% sure), Price will get the experience necessary that he'll need for NEXT YEAR. The further the Habs make it this year, the more experience Price will have acquired! SO even if by some miracle the Habs make it to the conference finals and end up being outclassed by some other team, Price will have gained a shitload of experience for NEXT YEAR.

7 months ago, we pretty much all said that if the Habs could make the playoffs this year, it would be considered: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Well here we are. 19 games to go, and the Boys look good. So what if they get bounced out in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds. This year is a year for the kids to acquire some much needed playoff experience...all in preparation for NEXT YEAR!

There was just no market for Huet. As Maca said in another thread, Bryzgalov was obtained for free but if you look at the serious offers that the Ducks got, they were from LA mainly. Burke didn't want to deal to a rival so he waived him as he promised Bryz.

This should also put things in perspective, the price tag on Roloson was a third round pick. No one ponied that up.

When I say only deal I guess I should have said only deal worth making. I would rather take a 2nd in 2009 then a 5th in 2008. I would also take the 2nd pick knowing we're letting him walk.

It's not like someone offered a 1st round pick and Gainey didn't take it.

AS much as I'm sad to See Huet go, and as much as I'm disappointed that Bob couldn'T get much more for Huet...I think it might not be a bad thing to have traded him away.

Can we all agree that the habs will NOT win the Cup this year. I thikn it's safe to say that most of us agree on this!?!

If the habs make the playoffs (Which is 90% sure), Price will get the experience necessary that he'll need for NEXT YEAR. The further the Habs make it this year, the more experience Price will have acquired! SO even if by some miracle the Habs make it to the conference finals and end up being outclassed by some other team, Price will have gained a shitload of experience for NEXT YEAR.

7 months ago, we pretty much all said that if the Habs could make the playoffs this year, it would be considered: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Well here we are. 19 games to go, and the Boys look good. So what if they get bounced out in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounds. This year is a year for the kids to acquire some much needed playoff experience...all in preparation for NEXT YEAR!

For sure. This is what Gainey is thinking, but add to the fact we were not going to win the cup with HUET. But, if Price gets hot.....I mean real hot. The kid is known to be at his best in high pressure games, we all might get a big ass surprise this year. You can't win a game or a series if you can't score a goal.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this year exactly the way it is.

Isnt that a typo though.

Shouldnt it be:

Negative sir. Several teams inquired. Only some showed real interest. I"m not sure about the accuracy but another team *also* offered a 5th for Huet and it was considered was one of the more "serious" offers excluding Washington.

Well, if you think about it logically, virtually every team in the league has a starting goaltender who they are comfortable with OR have someone who have they committed to long-term. There's a lot of parity at this position across the league.

The only teams who could take him would be Tampa, Washington (despite Kolzig's big contract, they think he's over the hill) and Los Angeles. Tampa made their bed with Mike Smith, Los Angeles is just gunning for Stamkos, so voila hello Washington.

Edited by smon

Isnt that a typo though.

Shouldnt it be:

The one that says that someone wanted to get Huet from Bob for pretty much a 5th round pick and nothing more.

Edit: Los Angeles is just warming the bench up for Bernier :P

You are the silly one thinkin that u have to defend Huet when actually noone is really bashing him. Huet is great but most likely not needed anymore so Gainey got a 2nd rounder for him.

I agree. Huet played great for the Habs and is not the only guilty party for some tardy play. I hope nobody here hated him as he was a good, non complaining team guy. Gainey just did not want to lose him for nothing and 2nd round draft choices are important for stocking the farm or future trades.

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

B.I.N.G.O. B.A.N.G.O. B.O.N.G.O., the exact same goal happened on Roberto Luongo!! which knocked the Canucks out of the playoffs last year, but he's a goalie God and Huet sux0rs. :wacko:

Similarily early in the season this year Sundin scored a very similar goal from just over the blue line like 10 seconds into OT against Kippersov, but he's a goalie God too.

Silly Question which could be tough for some of you because apparently it happened a long time ago because it seems that many have forgotten but in the Habs greatest comeback of all time, just who exactly was in net? :P

Well if this is directed at me, I've never said or even thought Huet sucked, in fact I like him. I just never trusted him in big games and the softy to end the playoffs just underlined that for me. I've also never called Luongo or Kipper a goalie god...all goalies make mistakes and all goalies struggle. Luongo and Kipper have taken their teams deep in to the playoffs and performed well...has Huet? Will Huet ever? :wacko:

How typically convenient. When the Habs play well in front of Huet they win not because of Huet. When the Habs play like chickens with their heads cut off running around everywhere and loose its because of Huet. :lol:

Shocked to see the guy whos always posting Huets shabby stats in 1 goal games say that. Huet made several huge saves in that game when it was 5-4.

Huet cant win for trying. No matter what he does its not good enough I guess.

In a 3rd the time Hail Mary Carey has easily let in 3 times as many soft goals as Huet, but he is our Saviour and Huet sux0rs.

In any of the games in which Huet was replaced by Price, have the Habs ever rebounded and rallied to win? No, the team doesnt have that much confidence in Price. But in that 5-6 OT comeback game the Habs settled down as soon as Huet was put in.

NEWSFLASH, the goalie controversy ended (for now) when Huet was traded...there's no longer an argument :wacko:

You know, there was a time that I thought we should re-sign

Huet to be a mentor for Price. But, what I didn't like was that

for long stretches Carbo was playing Huet and letting Price

rot on the bench and lose confidence. Price was eventually

sent down to get playing time and get his confidence back

while Halak was sitting on the bench, rotting.

If you have 2 young goalies that have clearly excelled in the

AHL your a lucky organization. At some point you have make

a decision on keeping one or both of them. We decided to keep

both. I love that idea, it might hurt a little in the short-term, but

one day we will be elated with this decision.

I think Gainey got a great return for Huet. Let's let Timmons

and his scouting staff work there magic come draft time. We

might have also saved 3-4M in cap space for next year. And,

I do think if Huet performs well he will be re-signed by the

Caps so the Sens don't get a chance to get him as a UFA.

As for Ryder, 30 goal scorers don't grow on trees. I suspect

Ryder might have been part of the package we had put together

for Hossa. I suspose we'll never know who those players were,

but it would have been a backward move for a rental. Anyway

we can use some of that 3-4M we saved to go after Hossa when

he becomes a UFA because the Pebs GM has already said he is

just a rental.

You know I kinda think we might see much better results from

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder now that the trade deadline pressure is off.

So, lets go with the Yoots :lol:

I don't know if this was mentioned before... but allow me to put this scenario, which IMHO allows me to sleep easy with Huet being traded.

Assume we didn't trade Huet and we had three goalies for the playoffs. Now imagine Huet takes us through the first round and we make it to the second round with a valiant effort all the way down to game 7 where we lose to the later conference finalists... Price games played = 2 periods. Halak = 0

Come summer.... what do we do? Do we ask Huet to be our goalie for another year, two maybe? There is NO way in Hell Huet would sign with the Habs or any other team for less than 4 years. So without a doubt we would have to get another UFA goalie but for how long? and how good does he have to be? better the UFA goalie the longer the contract he will want.

So the above scenario doesnt look too different from what we will still have to do come summer time BUT with one difference! We will have tested Price and Halak Not only with the remaining 15 games but one maybe two rounds of playoffs... ALLOWING us to determine How Ready Price and Halak are and Possibly allowing us NOT to go for a UFA Goalie (saving $ and cap space!) and if need be perhaps a Veteran over the hill Goalie that can only play 50% of the games to second Price for only a Year or 2 max!

Do we see what we have the posbility to save on $ and time if Price actually can learn and handle himself with the next 20 or so games? and How we will know in what position we will be come End of season?

Corvina, there was a big discomfort every time Price was in goals instead of Huet. However, lately (particularly after Huet couldn't really stand up consistently when given the spotlight fulltime for more than a dozen of games), Carbo had decided to go with Price (back to back Philly WINS, one by shutout).

So at best, it'd have been 1-1, but... I'm pretty sure it was to be 2 Price, 1 Huet for the rest of the season...

That would have been a BIGGER gamble than to trade Huet.

Why?

For the same reason there was a discomfort when Rivet was benched.

You can alternate young players or depth players... however, you cannot do it with your "top players"... if you do, you're better off trading them (that's why Ryder was on the block for a while... however, the return wasn't satisfactory enough to trade him. ie. Bob didn't want a Samsonov in return.)

I don't know if this was mentioned before... but allow me to put this scenario, which IMHO allows me to sleep easy with Huet being traded.

Assume we didn't trade Huet and we had three goalies for the playoffs. Now imagine Huet takes us through the first round and we make it to the second round with a valiant effort all the way down to game 7 where we lose to the later conference finalists... Price games played = 2 periods. Halak = 0

Come summer.... what do we do? Do we ask Huet to be our goalie for another year, two maybe? There is NO way in Hell Huet would sign with the Habs or any other team for less than 4 years. So without a doubt we would have to get another UFA goalie but for how long? and how good does he have to be? better the UFA goalie the longer the contract he will want.

So the above scenario doesnt look too different from what we will still have to do come summer time BUT with one difference! We will have tested Price and Halak Not only with the remaining 15 games but one maybe two rounds of playoffs... ALLOWING us to determine How Ready Price and Halak are and Possibly allowing us NOT to go for a UFA Goalie (saving $ and cap space!) and if need be perhaps a Veteran over the hill Goalie that can only play 50% of the games to second Price for only a Year or 2 max!

Do we see what we have the posbility to save on $ and time if Price actually can learn and handle himself with the next 20 or so games? and How we will know in what position we will be come End of season?

Well said!

This is exactly what went through Gainey's mind. There is absolutely no point in delaying the inevitable. These two are your future. Let them get the minutes they need in order to excel and mature.

For years we've been harping about how other teams throw 18yr olds on the ice while we let them rot in Sherbrooke/Fredericton/Hamilton. Leave the vets in the Press Box I say and let the kids grab the bull by the horns.

You guys do realize that Halak will ask to be traded within the next 18 to 24 months! He will not want to remain a back-up for the rest of his life!

Edited by Habsfan

You guys do realize that Halak will ask to be traded within the next 18 to 24 months! He will not want to remain a back-up for the rest of his life!

LOL...you make it sound like he's an aging goalie who has been a back-up for his whole career.

Halak asking to be traded would likely ruin his career and I'm sure his agent would let him know that...

A young goalie who has not proven to be a starter ups and demands a trade? I highly doubt he would really gain from the demand...

I also think that if he starts to show that he's starter material he'd be dealt regardless...

LOL...you make it sound like he's an aging goalie who has been a back-up for his whole career.

Halak asking to be traded would likely ruin his career and I'm sure his agent would let him know that...

A young goalie who has not proven to be a starter ups and demands a trade? I highly doubt he would really gain from the demand...

I also think that if he starts to show that he's starter material he'd be dealt regardless...

Maybe it will be Price asking to be traded in the next couple of years when Halak has stolen the no1 spot from him. Who knows but Im happy having these two great young goalies on our team and really happy that we have a chance of making a pick of which one of them to keep later on because most teams dont have what we have in net.

I'm well aware that Halak is only 22 years old, however, you can tell from his expression that he was tired of playing in Hamilton. He really didn't like the fact tht he was the number 1 in hamilton most of the year(last year) only to be shipped out to Europe so Jesus Price could steal his spot. And once again this year, he's behind Price.

I'm just saying that I would not be surprised if halak were traded within the next 24 months!

Well 24 months is a long time. If anything he's happy that one of the goalies ahead of him on the depth chart was traded away. He'll get a chance to play a few games this year, maybe more if Price doesn't seize the number one job. He's 22, and not many goalies are in the NHL let alone starting at that age, so he'd have to be irrational and impatient to demand a trade.

Well 24 months is a long time. If anything he's happy that one of the goalies ahead of him on the depth chart was traded away. He'll get a chance to play a few games this year, maybe more if Price doesn't seize the number one job. He's 22, and not many goalies are in the NHL let alone starting at that age, so he'd have to be irrational and impatient to demand a trade.

Spector brought up a good point that I don't think anyone has brought up in this thread regarding the Huet trade and how it might effect Halaks future.

"As for the Habs reasoning for dealing away Huet, he's an unrestricted free agent this summer, meaning his contract status had no impact on the Habs re-signing their RFAs this summer if they had no intention of re-signing him. I suspect this had as much to do with ensuring Halak gets some NHL playing time to prevent him from bolting for Europe next season as it did with getting something in return for a goalie the Canadiens had no intention of retaining after this season.

As far as Halak playing second fiddle to Price. He'll either embrace it or be pissed off for a long time. I never really followed the Devils and their back-up dilemma during Brodeurs career. It must have sucked being a goalie drafted by the devils. How did they handle keeping prospect goaltenders or back-ups happy?

I never really followed the Devils and their back-up dilemma during Brodeurs career. It must have sucked being a goalie drafted by the devils. How did they handle keeping prospect goaltenders or back-ups happy?

Well since Brodeur was drfted the Devils have drafted a total of 10 goalies in 17 years

None of which have really done anything of note in the NHL.