Most unproductive Trade Deadline ever

habsfan88

Gainey's whole goal going into this was to acquire an impact player. He did say if that couldn't be done then they would just stay put. Through all of the interviews it became quite clear that the Habs did not want to subtract from their current roster to acquire an impact player.

Result of the day: Huet for a 2nd round draft pick.

Not only did we not help our team out at all for the playoffs, we actually HURT our team for the playoffs. How can we put all the weight onto Price and Halak's shoulders? I love them but seriously. We could've at least traded Huet for a little more than a 2nd round choice....HAL GILL fetched more than that, that's a disgrace.

Maybe I'm just bitter that we didn't land Hossa and it seemed that we would acquire him FOR SURE based on all of the reports and rumours etc, but right now I am incredibly angry.

Stupid Penguins....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hossa wasn't a necessity but I wish we could have brought in a guy like Gratton, at the very least. I'm fine dealing Huet, it just hurts when we got less for him than Toronto got for Hal Gill. But that's the goalie market right now, we can all thank Brian Burke.

I agree it wasn't very productive other than for Halak and Price's development. It does seem strange that we decide to experiment with these guys during crunchtime and not at the start of next season.

But there is nothing we can do about it now - I think we are slightly worse team than we were before but as a hockey deal, we did get a good pick for a player that wasn't going to be coming back next season. Had Huet walked in the offseason (and he would have), I imagine some people would have been upset had he left us for nothing, the way Souray did and Ryder is going to.

Anyways, once we get over the disappointment of not getting Hossa, we'll probably agree that it wasn't a bad, it was just a pretty neutral day - it feels bad because we were expecting a very good day.

We could've at least traded Huet for a little more than a 2nd round choice....HAL GILL fetched more than that, that's a disgrace.

I completely agree. How in the world does HAL fvc.king Gill fetch more than Huet???

But there is nothing we can do about it now - I think we are slightly worse team than we were before but as a hockey deal, we did get a good pick for a player that wasn't going to be coming back next season. Had Huet walked in the offseason (and he would have), I imagine some people would have been upset had he left us for nothing, the way Souray did and Ryder is going to.

Good point. However the fact that we are not going to get anything for Ryder is a bit frustrating.

Gainey's whole goal going into this was to acquire an impact player. He did say if that couldn't be done then they would just stay put. Through all of the interviews it became quite clear that the Habs did not want to subtract from their current roster to acquire an impact player.

Result of the day: Huet for a 2nd round draft pick.

Not only did we not help our team out at all for the playoffs, we actually HURT our team for the playoffs. How can we put all the weight onto Price and Halak's shoulders? I love them but seriously. We could've at least traded Huet for a little more than a 2nd round choice....HAL GILL fetched more than that, that's a disgrace.

Maybe I'm just bitter that we didn't land Hossa and it seemed that we would acquire him FOR SURE based on all of the reports and rumours etc, but right now I am incredibly angry.

Stupid Penguins....

How do you figure we hurt our chances for the playoff by trading a goalie with a whopping 6 games playoff experience and one lost series to his credit? We may have hurt our chances of getting to the playoffs, but the next couple of months will prove or disprove that.

Hal Gill is under contract next season, Huet is not, hence the difference in return.

Huet isn't as good as everyone around here thinks. Simple as that. In a 10 game stretch he can be as hot as anyone, then he is just like everyone else.

Huet was great for us, but personally, I just did not see him as a clutch goalie who could win the big games. We have to consider that he was basically a throw-in in the Bonk trade. He was a border line goalie before we got him and nobody expected much from him. I think we need to consider Huet a nice surprise, but not our future.

Edited by Fat Tony

I agree with many of you in saying, in my opinion we have hurt our chances at the cup... i feel like crying :(

Edited by Shu

Abosultely Pathetic Bob :puke:

A ######ing 2nd rounder (in 09 yet! :angry: ) for a back-to-back eastern allstar... discrace?

Instead of being a contender, we took a HUGE step back.

Absolute slap in the face, BG you are to blame PERIOD.

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Huet isn't as good as everyone around here thinks. Simple as that. In a 10 game stretch he can be as hot as anyone, then he is just like everyone else.

Since the lockout Huet has the fifth best saving percentage in the NHL. Yeah sure he was just like anyone else...

Gill to the Pens for a 2nd and 5th just PROVES the Pens overpaid, not that Bob should have gotten more for Huet.................

IMO the Pens overpaid in their trades today. Bob's never been the one to pull a big trade last minute, yet every year people bitch that he should have done this deal or that deal........ And ALL the rumor sites never mentioned the Pens (until the last 1/2 hr or so....) were in the running meaning the Pens came in last minute and overpaid.

Since the lockout Huet has the fifth best saving percentage in the NHL. Yeah sure he was just like anyone else...

The lockout ended THREE YEARS AGO!

That is an irrelevant stat - should Theodore be valued as a Hart and Vezina goalie?

Huet is an average goalie right now, maybe slightly above that. But he is nothing special and he probably would have been our backup in the playoffs anyway. Sure, he gives us some "safety" but Gainey feels that safe with Price that he could inject some confidence into both our young goalies and shop off a guy we were going to lose for nothing in the offseason, for a pick.

If this trade makes us any better or any worse in the short term, it's in such a slight

I still think Bob moved Huet because he thought he had a deal for Hossa. That's the only way this makes sense.

I don't think it matters all that much in the long run, but you hate to see a head-scratcher like this.

I totaly disagree. Montreal sold Huet cheap. Are we really putting that much pressure on a rookie goaltender? I have no doubt that Price is the future but right now our goalie tandem has played 28 games this season and 44 games in total.

What have the prove yet?! Yann Danis has a higher winning percentage and lower goal against average.

The pick is also Anaheims. Don't expect them to finnish in the lower half.

In 2005, would you have traded a very nice package for the 1st overall pick, Sydney Crosby? You probably would have - but he was totally unproven, never played an NHL game or ever had at any succes except for a WJC gold medal. Would have been too much of a risk, right?

The fact is that we know what Price and Halak have done. They are young, they are going to have some bad games, be inconsistant and a lot of fans are going to seethe at every single one of them. But at the end of the day, we are left with one middle of the pack goalie and one middle of the pack backup, both of them getting better with each game. It is not such a big problem to have.

Teams have won the Cup with unproven goaltending (and players) in the past.

I agree with many of you in saying, in my opinion we have hurt our chances at the cup... i feel like crying :(

Do you really think this team had a chance at the cup????? I would loved to be surprised but c'mon lets look at what we have here.....a young team that still doesn't have all the pieces. Renting a player for a playoff run isn't the answer. Gainey is smarter then a lot of people here are giving him credit for. Gainey will do us right in the end, look for Gainey to make some moves in the off season!

Sure that is true, Roy comes to mind, but I don't like the fact that the Habs are going to the playoffs with two rookies in net. That's doesn't need arguments to understand why.

Second, I think Montreal got too litle in return for Huet. Im confused there wasn't a bigger market for him.

It's sometimes said that your goaltender is half your team. Therefore it's not a fair to comparision you make with the draft picks. Crosby was also a phenomenon a la Mario Lemieux.

Still, Im disapointed. Im glad Gainey didn't match any of the offers for Richards or Hossa but Fedorov, Bäckman, Cooke, Lapointe and Ruutu all came afordable and would have been nice additions for the playoffs.

1) Bob couldn't get more than that for Huet. Burke GAVE AWAY Bryzgalov for nothing because there was no market. BTW a 2nd round draft pick is a nice chip, nothing to sneeze at. A lot of good NHL players are 2nd round or lower picks.

2) Huet is a good goalie who has brought us a lot of good moments but lets face it he is not a top 5 NHL goalie, and the habs have two great young goalies who could be. Huet does not figure into our long term plans. Bob had a choice of letting him go for nothing or getting something in return (the same choice with Rivet turned out pretty well).

3) Price and Halak have both played some inspired goaltending, and have also had their off moments, between the two of them they should be able to carry the load no more inconsistenly than Huet.

4) The only player the habs really needed to or could add was an impact forward (big name all-star). Not many out there (Richards, Hossa) and Bob decided the price was too steep. The Penguins gave up A LOT, 2 young & good RFA forwards, a 1st round prospect, and a 1st round pick for a rental?? Too high. Also Hossa's notorious agent, Rich Winters is playing hardball on re-signing him, no negotiation until July 1st, ouch.

1) Bob couldn't get more than that for Huet. Burke GAVE AWAY Bryzgalov for nothing because there was no market. BTW a 2nd round draft pick is a nice chip, nothing to sneeze at. A lot of good NHL players are 2nd round or lower picks.

2) Huet is a good goalie who has brought us a lot of good moments but lets face it he is not a top 5 NHL goalie, and the habs have two great young goalies who could be. Huet does not figure into our long term plans. Bob had a choice of letting him go for nothing or getting something in return (the same choice with Rivet turned out pretty well).

3) Price and Halak have both played some inspired goaltending, and have also had their off moments, between the two of them they should be able to carry the load no more inconsistenly than Huet.

4) The only player the habs really needed to or could add was an impact forward (big name all-star). Not many out there (Richards, Hossa) and Bob decided the price was too steep. The Penguins gave up A LOT, 2 young & good RFA forwards, a 1st round prospect, and a 1st round pick for a rental?? Too high. Also Hossa's notorious agent, Rich Winters is playing hardball on re-signing him, no negotiation until July 1st, ouch.

Just to add to that here is quote from BoB at the press conference and it pretty much tells you he was not prepared to pay atlanta's price.

"Basically just to shape it for you, at a point today we spoke to Atlanta and they asked us for four elements and 3 of them were skating in our lineup tongiht, when we added it up we wouldn't give them what they were asking for, we countered with an offer that was less than what was involved and they made a decision"