Most unproductive Trade Deadline ever

habsfan88

.....to continue on with Harry's comment(s) -

Huet right now is in the final yr of a 3yr contract. Who knows what he would be asking for in the summer, which I imagine would be a considerable rise. So we don't even know if we would be able to re-sign him.

I think Bob did ok on this one.

At least we get something, in draft pick which is better than getting nothing if he is gone in the summer. And lets also remember, the Habs are the 3rd youngest team in the NHL. Don't expect them to set the world on fire in the playoffs. The fact they have done this well is a bonus. So to have ppl say "I don't want to go into the playoffs with 2 rookie goalies" - who cares! Were we expecting to be hoisting the Cup in June? Nope. They are in the midst of building.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so you guys know.

Gainey said in the PC he would've taken a fifht or sixth if that was the best deal. They made the decision Huet had to be moved.

Hey at least Gainey thinks like us eh JMMR :)

although I don't know if I would have moved him today, but I think they needed to reward Halak

instead of alienating him.

Edited by Wamsley01

although I don't know if I would have moved him today, but I think they needed to reward Halak

I actually could not believe they scored a 2nd rounder for him. I was hoping if he did go for a B list prospect and a 4th.

I think the way the UFA period is now - with so many players hitting free agency and changing teams July 1st and onward - the trade deadline really doesn't boast that many "big name" movers anymore. Why would a team give up a ton of youth when they can potentially sign a new team during the off-season?

Oh yeah, the fact that the competition for a playoff spot is so close this year doesn't help either.

Gainey made the right decisions so people who are all p*ss*d off about the deadline, you have to realize we basiaclly have the same team that got us this high in the standings and we will continue to play hard and win. So your mad about losing a mediocre goile in Huet.

C'mon we aent in bad shape what so ever.

GO HABS GO

I respect your decisions BOB.

I felt like a kid on Christmas eve last night, I was expecting to

wake up this morning and see lots of presents under the

tree. Not only do I see NO presents, someone stole the

tree!!!

Anyway, if we weren't going to re-sign Huet we needed to

move him for the best deal possible. Rivet deal re-visited.

A Leaf fan e-mailed me saying "Goodbye Huet", my response

was "Hello, Halak,Grabovsky and 2nd rd pick". :clap:

We kept our depth today.

At some point we will pay an outrageous price for a player

thats the final piece of the puzzle.

Today wasn't that day.

I would have kept Huet for the dance, that's all, and then him walk for nothing. I don't see the low 2nd round pick as having such great value that it's worth thinning out our depth at G, given that we at least have a chance to do some damage in these playoffs.

It's especially puzzling when you remember that Bob kept Souray, on the grounds that we needed him to achieve the pathetic goal of finishing 8th. But he wouldn't keep Huet, who could have been useful down the stretch in our new goal to actually win a round or two. So he kept the guy who could have bagged a major asset (e.g., a high 1st-round pick, perhaps) and lost him for nothing, in order to try to achieve a lame objective, while dealing the guy who got us back little of value, and who could have helped us achieve a more substantial goal.

That's weird.

However, as I say, if Price/Halak find the groove, we won't miss Huet any more than we missed him down the stretch last season, so hopefully it will prove only a minor irritant in the short term. In the long run, it makes no difference.

The failure to get Hossa bothers me not at all - not at those prices.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I would have kept Huet for the dance, that's all, and then him walk for nothing. I don't see the low 2nd round pick as having such great value that it's worth thinning out our depth at G, given that we at least have a chance to do some damage in these playoffs.

It's especially puzzling when you remember that Bob kept Souray, on the grounds that we needed him to achieve the pathetic goal of finishing 8th. But he wouldn't keep Huet, who could have been useful down the stretch in our new goal to actually win a round or two. So he kept the guy who could have bagged a major asset (e.g., a high 1st-round pick, perhaps) and lost him for nothing, in order to try to achieve a lame objective, while dealing the guy who got us back little of value, and who could have helped us achieve a more substantial goal.

That's weird.

However, as I say, if Price/Halak find the groove, we won't miss Huet any more than we missed him down the stretch last season, so hopefully it will prove only a minor irritant in the short term. In the long run, it makes no difference.

I find it amazing that every year GMs pay these stupid prices. It rarely pays off with a Cup win and

an argument can be made that the players or the players that resulted from the picks had a bigger impact

in the long run.

Let me say this about that:

When the reports came in Montreal was close to get Hossa I was very pleased.

When I found out that Pittsburg derailed our Habs I was mad.

When I saw what Pittsburg paid I was again pleased as this made them soft.

When Bob Gainey did nothing else I was mad.

When Bob Gainey held his press conference and explained , I was once again pleased.

Unproductive, yes. Good for Bob Gainey for not dealing away the core that WILL win a Stanley Cup.

:hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo: :hlogo:

I figured Huet would be kept for the playoffs also and let walk during the summer. I guess the Habs' staff (exponentially better hockey minds than my humble self) figured their confidence in Huet wasn't great, and Price/Halak could do just as well (if not better), so they may as well pickup a chip for Huet.

Also Pittsburgh seems just ridiculous. I may eat my words if they end up winning the cup, but atm this trade doesn't improve them too much on paper. They get a guy who will give them Ottawa like star power, but give up some of the depth necessary to bang it out in a grueling 7 game series and provide secondary scoring once teams ccome up with counters to your dynamite big forwards (as Ottawa found out in the finals). Also the Penguins still have some question marks on D (that Hall Gill will not fully satisfy) and in nets that make them iffy as cup favourites.

Im guessing their GM Shero got caught up in the frenzy and went all-in because his 11th hour offer seems to have caught everyone by surprise. He may wake up with a hangover tommorow, or this May.

That's weird.

Once again, CC, you've summed up my thoughts completely - so I don't have to!

The return for Huet is not important in assessing this deal, it's the value foregone of keeping Huet for a playoff run. The haters will always hate, but we've all seen Huet play extremely well for short to mid-sized stretches (leading to his all-star selection, and best save % in the league a couple years ago, for example) - and isn't that what the playoffs are all about?

Hopefully Price/Halak is ready.

Good job Bob!! I would have cried if you gave up 3 roster players for Hossa. You watch what the Pens do this year with Hossa then you'll see him bolt on july 1st. Gainey is the GM of the year. He has built this franchise with so many young players that the future looks so bright. Players in Montreal, Hamilton and in junior and college...all I can say is WOW!!!!

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of Gainey apologists trying to explain away his inactivity this year. I'm not saying he did a terrible job, but come on.

Look, it's all well and good to not bet the house on Hossa. Fine. But at least bring in something to show that the team is trying to compete for the playoffs. Isn't it funny that the Canadiens movement at the deadline was typical of a 9th/10th place team? While last year when we were that, then Gainey kept Souray...

The team desperately needed a centre who can win faceoffs. You're joking if you think there was no one available who can fill a checking centre role better than the oh-so-talented Bryan Smolinski.

Good job Bob!! I would have cried if you gave up 3 roster players for Hossa. You watch what the Pens do this year with Hossa then you'll see him bolt on july 1st. Gainey is the GM of the year. He has built this franchise with so many young players that the future looks so bright. Players in Montreal, Hamilton and in junior and college...all I can say is WOW!!!!

Give Trevor Timmins just a litte credit, would you. I'd wager that he has final say on draft picks.

Edited by smon

I'm a little disappointed in the amount of Gainey apologetics trying to explain away his inactivity this year. I'm not saying he did a terrible job, but come on.

Look, it's all well and good to not bet the house on Hossa. Fine. But at least bring in something to show that the team is trying to compete for the playoffs. Isn't it funny that the Canadiens movement at the deadline was typical of a 9th/10th place team? While last year when we were that, then Gainey kept Souray...

The team desperately needed a centre who can win faceoffs. You're joking if you think there was no one available who can fill a checking centre role better than the oh-so-talented Bryan Smolinski.

Nobody needs to apologize for Gainey. Considering that he took a team that had become a laughingstock and

turned it into a young team that has speedy creative forwards, a well stocked defense and a probably franchise goalie.

Their farm is stocked and they are in a better position at this point in the season than any year since the mid to late 90s.

So I do not need to apologize for the man.

Give Trevor Timmins just a litte credit, would you. I'd wager that he has final say on draft picks.

Who hired Trevor Timmons and allowed him to choose who he feels without interference?

The Price pick was a pick that could easily have been overruled

Nobody needs to apologize for Gainey. Considering that he took a team that had become a laughingstock and

turned it into a young team that has speedy creative forwards, a well stocked defense and a probably franchise goalie.

Their farm is stocked and they are in a better position at this point in the season than any year since the mid to late 90s.

Who hired Trevor Timmons and allowed him to choose who he feels without interference?

Average age of the line up tonight 25 years old.

"It's especially puzzling when you remember that Bob kept Souray, on the grounds that we needed him to achieve the pathetic goal of finishing 8th. But he wouldn't keep Huet, who could have been useful down the stretch in our new goal to actually win a round or two. So he kept the guy who could have bagged a major asset (e.g., a high 1st-round pick, perhaps) and lost him for nothing, in order to try to achieve a lame objective, while dealing the guy who got us back little of value, and who could have helped us achieve a more substantial goal."

actually it is very simple Souray could help us get into the playoffs and was not going to get us as much as you think. Bob also believed he could re-sign sheldon and the offers he got were shit. Huet will not make the difference and we were not going to sign him hence get what you can. He has committed to Price and halak A good move I think.

"It's especially puzzling when you remember that Bob kept Souray, on the grounds that we needed him to achieve the pathetic goal of finishing 8th. But he wouldn't keep Huet, who could have been useful down the stretch in our new goal to actually win a round or two. So he kept the guy who could have bagged a major asset (e.g., a high 1st-round pick, perhaps) and lost him for nothing, in order to try to achieve a lame objective, while dealing the guy who got us back little of value, and who could have helped us achieve a more substantial goal."

actually it is very simple Souray could help us get into the playoffs and was not going to get us as much as you think. Bob also believed he could re-sign sheldon and the offers he got were shit. Huet will not make the difference and we were not going to sign him hence get what you can. He has committed to Price and halak A good move I think.

BINGO.

Look, the point is not the record. I don't think he's not a good GM and that he has not done a good job turning around Montreal. But not every one of his moves (or lack thereof) is golden, and this deadline wasn't good in my books.

Look, the point is not the record. I don't think he's not a good GM and that he has not done a good job turning around Montreal. But not every one of his moves (or lack thereof) is golden, and this deadline wasn't good in my books.

So why am I apologizing for him because I agree with his stance?

You don't agree, you are entitled, my arguments are my opinion. They are not apologies by anybody.

I and others are genuinely happy with what he did.

Oh, that's the problem. Well it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, just the general sentiment I saw in the thread, and which I usually see whenever there is inaction on Gainey's part. But whatever, to each his own, I was just sharing my opinion. It's not the end of the world.