Most unproductive Trade Deadline ever

habsfan88

Oh, that's the problem. Well it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, just the general sentiment I saw in the thread, and which I usually see whenever there is inaction on Gainey's part. But whatever, to each his own, I was just sharing my opinion. It's not the end of the world.

No different than the Koivu threads, the Huet/Price threads etc etc no?

That is just the norm here

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all disappointed that we didn't get an impact player at the trade deadline. Bob Gainey admitted he was also disappointed that it didn't work out. But I'm glad Bob had the courage to say no, even knowing that he would have to face the media and fans. But I think he made the right choice.

First, the two teams that felt they couldn't do anything substantial at the trading deadline last year, Anaheim and Ottawa, finished the year playing for the Stanley cup. So sometimes not giving up a lot is the right thing to do.

Second, most people are beginning to see that if you give up too much for what has been in many cases a rental player, and then see that player lost if he signs with another team in the summer and you've also lost the players you had to give up, that can hurt you for years.

Finally, with no guarantee that Hossa would sign with us in the summer, giving up, if the rumors were true, Higgins or Ryder, Lapierre, Graboski, and our first round pick this year, for me that would be too high a price and a big risk.

So, as much as I would have liked to get a Hossa, in the end I think Bob made the right choice. Now time will tell whether he made the right choice or not.

We're all disappointed that we didn't get an impact player at the trade deadline. Bob Gainey admitted he was also disappointed that it didn't work out. But I'm glad Bob had the courage to say no, even knowing that he would have to face the media and fans. But I think he made the right choice.

First, the two teams that felt they couldn't do anything substantial at the trading deadline last year, Anaheim and Ottawa, finished the year playing for the Stanley cup. So sometimes not giving up a lot is the right thing to do.

Second, most people are beginning to see that if you give up too much for what has been in many cases a rental player, and then see that player lost if he signs with another team in the summer and you've also lost the players you had to give up, that can hurt you for years.

Finally, with no guarantee that Hossa would sign with us in the summer, giving up, if the rumors were true, Higgins or Ryder, Lapierre, Graboski, and our first round pick this year, for me that would be too high a price and a big risk.

So, as much as I would have liked to get a Hossa, in the end I think Bob made the right choice. Now time will tell whether he made the right choice or not.

He had no choice. Three regular players plus a fine prospect for a player you may lose in the summer was way too much.

It made more sense for Pittsburgh. They did not give too much for the present and stand an excellent chance to sign Hossa for the long term. Think about ir, Hossa will have Crosby or Malkin as a centre. He should have no problem to score more than 50 goals per season for many years. There is no centre of this quality in Mtl.

JMHO

Agreed.

Now that i've had 24 hours to think about it, i'm not as disappointed as I was yesterday at 3PM. I'd even say that I was furious at that time yesterday. BUt I've calmed down now, and I can honestly say that what Waddell wanted for Hossa was way too much. Let's not forget that Bob asked Waddell if he could contact Hossa's agent, and Waddell said no. So in the end there is no garantee that the Habs would have been able to resign Hossa this summer. The Hossa clan seems determined to try the free agent market! (Good Luck Pittsburgh in trying to resign him before July 1st )

What I'm still a little disappointed about though is that Bob wasn't able to packager Huet and Ryder together and try to get a veteran presence. Somebody who could play on the 3rd or 4th lines. Somebody who could actually win some faceoffs(something Smolinski can'T do). But hey, it ain't the end of the world. I'm definitely happy to see the Higgins, the Ti.ts brothers, Plex, Komisarek, etc...are still around.

Edited by Habsfan

Yea but Pittsburgh has to resign all those guys, Whitney and a goalie as well. I doubt they have cash to have them all together after this year. (See Tampa)

It looks like a "go for broke" move from Pittsburgh. I agree with you: they will have to exceed the salary cap to satisfy all those players.

Long term, I think that Gainey is doing the right thing for the club. Let's put on the ice a very young team, with a few well chosen older players to fill the gaps. With a constant stream of young blood, we should be able to rejuvenate the line up indefinitely.

I'd just like to say that I've had some time to cool down about what happened (or what didn't happen) yesterday at the deadline. I'm glad Gainey knew to draw the line, and not throw out prospects/good young players left right and centre in desperation to beat the Pens offer just to acquire Hossa who could bolt on July 1st. No way Pittsburgh will have the money to keep him with Crosby Malkin etc. contracts on their hands, so perhaps this offseason us fans can FINALLY see an impact player sign with us in Montreal, but once again don't get your hopes up as history would suggest lol

However, that's the offseason - We have the rest of the season and playoffs to think about...I sure as hell hope the standings don't stay as they are because I would not want to play Pittsburgh first round.

I'd just like to say that I've had some time to cool down about what happened (or what didn't happen) yesterday at the deadline. I'm glad Gainey knew to draw the line, and not throw out prospects/good young players left right and centre in desperation to beat the Pens offer just to acquire Hossa who could bolt on July 1st. No way Pittsburgh will have the money to keep him with Crosby Malkin etc. contracts on their hands, so perhaps this offseason us fans can FINALLY see an impact player sign with us in Montreal, but once again don't get your hopes up as history would suggest lol

However, that's the offseason - We have the rest of the season and playoffs to think about...I sure as hell hope the standings don't stay as they are because I would not want to play Pittsburgh first round.

They still have huge ?? marks in net in Pittsburgh. Just as much as the Habs.

It looks like a "go for broke" move from Pittsburgh. I agree with you: they will have to exceed the salary cap to satisfy all those players.

Long term, I think that Gainey is doing the right thing for the club. Let's put on the ice a very young team, with a few well chosen older players to fill the gaps. With a constant stream of young blood, we should be able to rejuvenate the line up indefinitely.

Pittsburgh has some very tough choices ahead. They may well be going for broke this season, because they'll have to break up this spectacular nucleus sooner than a lot of people expect. If they don't have another wave of good young players to take over, they'll slide back into the crapper; Tampa Bay is a case-study in how NOT to manage a team in the salary cap era.

I doubt they'll keep Hossa, and as Carbo pointed out, that means we'll get another crack at him.

Yeah. This is the thing about the team Gainey's assembling...it has no $8 million superstars. That gives us a lot more cap flexibility. and probably creates a more supple organization that can win on a consistent basis over time, a la New Jersey. I think Gainey has done this as much out of necessity as choice; clearly he's wanted to add a Big Name for some time, but hasn't been able to. Still, it has substantial benefits.

It also has frustrations. Like everyone else, I'm not immune to the Guy Lafleur syndrome: the desire to see the Habs as a truly feared team, led by a truly lethal weapon like Crosby or Lecavalier or Heatly or Hossa. And I think any team worth its salt can carry at least one player like this. (More than two is too many. If I were Ottawa, I'd prefer to have a strong range of 2nd-liners rather and keep two of the Big Three). It also helps you to win - just remember Game 7 against the Bruins in 1979. No Guy Lafleur, with his ridiculously unstoppable blast from the blue-line, no 4th Cup, no all-time great dynasty.

So, mixed feelings - but for sure Gainey did the right thing in not overpaying for a rental. That goes without saying.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Sure that is true, Roy comes to mind, but I don't like the fact that the Habs are going to the playoffs with two rookies in net. That's doesn't need arguments to understand why.

Second, I think Montreal got too litle in return for Huet. Im confused there wasn't a bigger market for him.

It's sometimes said that your goaltender is half your team. Therefore it's not a fair to comparision you make with the draft picks. Crosby was also a phenomenon a la Mario Lemieux.

Still, Im disapointed. Im glad Gainey didn't match any of the offers for Richards or Hossa but Fedorov, Bäckman, Cooke, Lapointe and Ruutu all came afordable and would have been nice additions for the playoffs.

I would have liked to get more for him too but I'm sure if there were a better offer on the table, Gainey would have taken it. I don't think Gainey made this trade because the offer was too good to refuse. I think he did it because he had planned it so and decided that our team was better with the rookies than with Huet - so he traded him for the best offer available.

Yes, Crosby was a phenomenon but I consider Price a phenomenon too. He's known as the best goalie prospect since Luongo, he isn't just an ordinary prospect like Cory Schneider, Justin Pogge, Riku Helenius, etc...

Has Gainey ever made a "big" deadline deal? I think he rather build from within, and on July 1 when the UFA market opens........

well... he did make that one big deadline deal for Kovalev.

Also, in retrospect I think getting a 1st and Gorges for Rivet is pretty nice.

I had to look up the Kovalev deal, for some reason I though it was made well before the deadline........ :blink:

Nope, I thik it was made in mid March (back then the trading deadline was in mid-March)

Kovy only played in 12-13 games with the Habs in 2003. Then came the playoffs, and he did well!

Nope, I thik it was made in mid March (back then the trading deadline was in mid-March)

Kovy only played in 12-13 games with the Habs in 2003. Then came the playoffs, and he did well!

yeah he was injured in his first game... if I remember correctly, it was while curling into the faceoff circle during the powerplay :unsure:

I wonder if this means that Ryder will stay with the team. :unsure:

I seriously doubt Ryder will sign with Montreal at the July 1st Deadline.

What we can hope for from Ryder is that he becomes real hot from now until the end of the season. It would be nice if he could score 10 goals in the final 18 games.

Well, that would be the best case scenario for Ryder, his agent, and the Canadiens :P

He's not going to be back, I think that he and the team would probably mutually agree a change in scenery might do him some good. Mind you, he could put up a Pisani-esque tear in the playoffs and change the whole nature of the ballgame.

Well, that would be the best case scenario for Ryder, his agent, and the Canadiens :P

He's not going to be back, I think that he and the team would probably mutually agree a change in scenery might do him some good. Mind you, he could put up a Pisani-esque tear in the playoffs and change the whole nature of the ballgame.

It's likely there will be teams out there ready to offer him a multi-year deal, but it's still a possibility that he'll resign with us for about the same money that he's getting now. I don't think a multi-year deal would be worth it with him, seeing that after next season will be when many contracts will be up and we'll be evaluating who to keep and who to let go. So maybe just another one-year deal for him at the same money that he got this year. Then we might see a resurgence of the Koivu Higgins Ryder line, and we'd look pretty smart for keeping him around. But it's more likely that he'll get more money elsewhere and take it, or that Gainey will just decide that his time here is done. My opinion of Ryder as a team player has risen with how well he's handled his struggles this year.