Cristobal Huet Appreciation Thread

JLP

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Huet was a big part of the Habs' turnaround over the last couple of years. An unexpected talent who held us in a lot of games and helped the team compete. Seemed a good guy too. So, to our first French goalie, salut cousin ~ bonne chance en Washington!

^_^ maybe, before he leaves, Huet could give Price his mask *hint hint*

I think Huet was a big part of the Habs' turnaround over the last couple of years. An unexpected talent who held us in a lot of games and helped the team compete. Seemed a good guy too. So, to our first French goalie, salut cousin ~ bonne chance en Washington!

^_^ maybe, before he leaves, Huet could give Price his mask *hint hint*

Probably the only French (France) goalie in league history. Huet was a great team player to the very end, gave it his all and I love the guy. I honestly don't believe he was the keeper to lead us to the promise land, but he was absolutely fantastic for us the time he was here! Thank you Christowal and Bon Chance except when you play the Habs mon ami ^_^

I liked him from the start, and I still like him. I'm gonna miss having him as a Habs. I will always remember the chanting Huet Huet at the end of the 2nd only game I saw live at the Bell Centre. My daughter's Huet shirt is now a collecter's item. :(

A worthy member of the classic and indispensable line of 'transitional' Habs goalies, who tended goal and kept us in the game in those periods between the departure of one great netminder and the arrival of another. This line includes people like Gerry McNeil, maybe Gump Worsley, Denis Heron, Jeff Hackett and Brian Hayward. Good goalies who did yeoman's work and are often forgotten among the flashier names and Hall of Famers (Plante, Dryden, Roy, Theodore...Price?).

Thank you Cristobal: a class act and a fine goaltender.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I like him as a player and as a person. I wish him the best of luck when he's not facing off against us. Thanks for everything Cristo!

I don't usually bother with these threads, but he was a class act and a very solid contributor. Any guy who takes responsibility for a trade on his own shoulders deserves respect, and he has earned it in spades. As mentioned earlier this thread, he very much reminds me of Hackett - two guys you could rely on, didn't get overly worked up about anything, and were classy to the fans and media even when those same were riled and whiny; and that's especially tough to do in Montreal.

Huet was a breath of fresh air and helped this franchise turn a corner and appreciation from the Montreal fans is more than deserved.

I look forward to seeing his success in Washington and beyond. Hopefully he finds the right place in which to ply his trade and continue building on the foundation of a solid career he essentially started here in Montreal.

What a great guy, I'll still have love for him after he's gone. The biggest testament to his character is what Price said about him, "he was like an older brother to me." Huet acted like this to a young guy who everyone predicted would take his job from him, and who ultimately did.

Hello All.

I've been reading these boards for quite some time, but wanted to register to show my appreciation for two solid years of goaltending from Cristobal.

Gainey is a genius. He essentially parlayed Mathieu Garon into a second round pick in 2009 with a couple really nice years from Huet in the middle. That's good GMing.

Best of luck Huet.

You'll be taking over for a good buddy I grew up with, Olaf. We paddled together in our youth. Best of luck.

Ironically, this will work out well for Huet. The team he is going to is pretty much a clone of the Habs. Young and scary.

Im truly sad to see him go. Hes been my favourite goalie since Roy and he did more for us in the last 3 years than anyone can give him credit for. Thanks Cris and good luck in the future. :clap:

:hlogo:

Good bye Huet, you were my favourite goaltender for so long. My best memory of Huet was the first time i saw him play during the Sens in the 06 season. I went crazy, i was wondering why they were playing him against the best team in the league (sens in 06). I actually called my dad up and was mad that they were starting him. After that night i loved him, that first season we had him was like a dream, i will never forget that season. Good luck to Huet in Washington, they're a good team. We knew it was coming (just not his soon :wacko:). so good bye Cristobal Huet, the man who save our 06 season. Im going to miss those games where he would play out of his mind and have like 46-48 shots and just be so calm.

Good bye Huet, you were my favourite goaltender for so long. My best memory of Huet was the first time i saw him play during the Sens in the 06 season. I went crazy, i was wondering why they were playing him against the best team in the league (sens in 06). I actually called my dad up and was mad that they were starting him. After that night i loved him, that first season we had him was like a dream, i will never forget that season. Good luck to Huet in Washington, they're a good team. We knew it was coming (just not his soon :wacko:). so good bye Cristobal Huet, the man who save our 06 season. Im going to miss those games where he would play out of his mind and have like 46-48 shots and just be so calm.

I was at that game, what a night, being one of the firsts to HUET HUET HUET HUET HUET HUET!!!!!!!!

Ahh, I miss him already.

:hlogo:

I'm really sad to see him go. I remember being at a game last year, I think it was against Buffalo, where we played like crap, but were lucky enough to be up 1-0. Huet stood on his head, making many great saves. Buffalo pulled their goalie, and they scored off a rebound with a few seconds left. The crowd fell silent for no more than 10 seconds, only to come back with the amazing chant of HUET-HUET-HUET! I felt privileged to be part of such a great connection with a player and really be able to help pick him up. We won the game in overtime. I've been defending this guy for as long as I can remember, and it's a shame he has to go this way. Interesting to note that he's in top five in GAA since the lockout. That being said...

Thanks Cristo! I hope we don't regret this move and that Price becomes the goaltender we all want him to be. As for you, I hope you do well, as I will not waver from my tradition of secretly routing for ex-Habs goaltenders. It was also great to see the current players giving Huet a great send-off with such kind words.

Despite all this, the most important thing in all of this for me can be summarized in four words: in Bob we trust.

I think Huet was a good goalie for the Canadiens in the past two seasons - team player, never complained, gave it his best shot I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. It was quite the story to see him unseat Theodore for the starter's role and singlehandedly save that season for Montreal.

Huet will be missed, the fans liked him, it is just that the Plan didn't include him.

Dare to compare him to every other goalie in the league and he is still in the top ten.

`

A top ten goalie acquired as a throw in a Bonk-Garon trade. LA never did well for Garon.

Bonk gave us two season as a transition centre because we had and we still developping a third line centre.

He did a fairly good job and he was gone.

Huet came in, 2005-2006. Gave us the chance to throw Théodore out with a .929 save pct.

We made the playoffs anyway, we were going to win the Canes but Saku lost an eye and we lost the serie.

Huet let a 60 feet shot in for our elimination. Still we made the playoffs.

2006-2007 Aebisher experience didn't work at all. We missed the playoffs becayse Huet got hurt and we went with Aebi,

we almost made it with Halak. But Huet came in rusty at the last game and blew everything we lost that game and the playoffs.

Still .916 sv %

That was the beginning of the end. Price came in AHL won Calder cup. Halak cannot be given away and Huet lost

the coach confidence for important games.

Still this year 21-12 6 tie, .916sc%. Overworked some of his flaws, better puck control and some saves in Shoot out.

Overall not only he dragged us out of Théo era but came in and play solid goaltending over three years gaining respect

from fans and being the best player of France history in NHL.

Good luck Huette. Hope to see you in Quebec for World Championship.