From Juniors to Montreal #1 goalie in 10 months

thib46

I found this article in the Gazette very interesting, I hope it is ok to post it as long as you give credit to the author. If not feel free to delete. This is mostly for those who do not receive or read the Gazette. Thanks.

Price's remarkable ride to No. 1 job

posted by Dave Stubbs at 14h49 EST on Feb 26

In 10 months, Carey Price has gone from playing junior hockey to becoming the de facto No. 1 goaltender of the Canadiens. Here's a look at his remarkable ride:

Carey Price’s Remarkable Year

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price had more highlights in the past 13 months than many hockey players have in a lifetime.

In order, beginning in January 2007:

-> Backstops Canada to its third consecutive world junior championship gold medal. He’s named the tournament’s most valuable player, its top goalie, and was selected to the all-star team.

-> Returns to his Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans, leading them to a franchise record for victories.

-> Named to the WHL Western Conference first all-star team, wins the Del Wilson Trophy as the WHL’s top goalie and is named the Canadian Hockey League’s goalie of the year.

-> Signs a three-year contract with the Canadiens organization on April 10, days after the end of his final junior season.

-> Reports to American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs and plays his first professional game April 13 against Grand Rapids, stopping 27 of 28 shots to be named the game’s first star.

-> Leads the Bulldogs to the AHL Calder Cup championship with a 2.06 goals-against average and a .936 save percentage. He makes 46 saves in the first game of the final to record a shutout.

-> Named winner of the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the Calder Cup final’s MVP. At 19, he is the youngest ever to win the award.

-> Butterfield trophy completes a remarkable hat trick: Price becomes the only goalie in history to win the Butterfield, CHL goalie of the year and world junior MVP in one year.

-> Celebrates his 20th birthday on Aug. 16.

-> Attends Canadiens’ September training camp and on Oct. 1 is named to the team’s roster for the 2007-08 season.

-> Makes NHL debut on Oct. 10, making 26 saves in Pittsburgh to earn his first victory.

-> Wins the Molson Cup for October, awarded to the Canadien who scores most points in three-star voting.

-> Moves into his first apartment, shared with teammate Kyle Chipchura, in mid-November.

-> Records his first career shutout on Feb. 16, a 1-0 home-ice victory over the Philadelphia Flyers.

-> With the trade of veteran Cristobal Huet on Feb. 26, 2008 to the Washington Capitals, he becomes the de facto No. 1 goaltender of the Canadiens after having played a total of 26 NHL games.

StumbleUpon

When you list it all like that, I feel a little tingly feeling inside. Can't wait to see what I feel when we can add more to that list of achievements. :hlogo:

When you list it all like that, I feel a little tingly feeling inside. Can't wait to see what I feel when we can add more to that list of achievements. :hlogo:

A buddy of mine had that once too.......

Try the blue ointment :P:lol:

What's amazing is that Halak did something very similar last year. A 9th round pick joining the AHL, suddenly becoming the best goalie in the league, making the All-Star team, getting a call up at the end of the season, almost becoming the saviour (might've had he started the last game?), then playing as a starter for Slovakia in the summer! And a year later, he's once again dominated the AHL and has now established himself as our permanent backup in the NHL.

It's amazing that we have TWO goalies that fast-tracked their way into the NHL so quickly.

I feel pretty safe with the tandem of Price and Halak between the pipes from here on in to the playoffs! There will be alot of pressure on these 2 goalies to take this team and all the habs fans to the promise land. We all know that Carey is a cool customer from his performances in the world jrs and outstanding play with the bulldogs to capture the calder cup speak for itself! Lost a little bit in this ever since the huet trade when is Jaroslav Halak. He is a guy drafted in the 9th rd of 03 that has bounced between the Canadiens and Bulldogs the past 2 seasons and carried the load last year and almost got the habs in the playoffs when huet was out for the season! He wants to be a #1 goalie in the NHL and his numbers in the AHL don't lie!...He is also unbeatin at the bell centre in his first 7 starts in his young career....In those starts his numbers are pretty stingy.

W L T GA GAA SA SV SV% SO

7 0 0 14 1.89 207 193 .932 2

Halak became the first goaltender since Bob Froese (Philadelphia: 1982-83) to win his first seven decisions at home...By the way these stats look so far it looks like Halak don't mind the pressure of playing in the bell centre!!

GO HABS GO!!!! :hlogo:

Edited by Harding_27

-> Moves into his first apartment, shared with teammate Kyle Chipchura, in mid-November.

Now that's a hell of a highlight. Get the HOF plaque guys on the phone...

There was more to that bulletin....

-> Moves into his first apartment, shared with teammate Kyle Chipchura, in mid-November.... and teams up on Halo 3 online and goes undefeated for 50 games.

There was more to that bulletin....

-> Moves into his first apartment, shared with teammate Kyle Chipchura, in mid-November.... and teams up on Halo 3 online and goes undefeated for 50 games.

Has his first day eating nothing but KD and oreos.

Whatever happened to that apartment when they both got sent down? Segei move in and f**ck it up? :lol:

Actually last I read Sergei is still living in a hotel.

I bet it just sat there while a team mate checked in once in a while.

Actually last I read Sergei is still living in a hotel.

I bet it just sat there while a team mate checked in once in a while.

Sergei's still in a hotel? I wonder why... maybe he likes it that way, no responsibility, no cleaning or cooking...

Sergei's still in a hotel? I wonder why... maybe he likes it that way, no responsibility, no cleaning or cooking...

Well that was about a month ago and I am sure he was unsure if he would stay for long term.

Reason he did not move in with his bro was because there was no space.

Looks like to me that S. Kosty is up with the big club to stay. Even when not producing points, he brings good defensive awareness(especially for a rookie), and adds alot of grit to the club. Not afraid to be the first into the corner, battles for pucks, and loves to dish out the odd hit.

He's definitely a keeper. I didn't really expect him to have this much impact this early in his career, but i had never seen him play before. It really helps that Carbo has shown much confidence in him. Not even afraid to use him on the PP point once in a while. I'm so glad he wasn't traded, didn't think BG would let him go.

Price also has probably seen the last of Hamilton, and it won't be too long before Chips has a permanent spot with the Habs.

Sk probably leads the team in fighting majors since his arrival. That is diturbing enough.

His only weakness i can see is he doesn't shoot enough, he seems to have a great shot.

I didn't know what to expect, i never saw him play before he arrived. I aam very impressed with his all around game and grit. It sounds weird but i would switch him and his brother's lines.

Put Ak with Higgins and Koivu, that line needs a finisher.

Sk with Pleks and Kovy would be just as deadly.