Anyone else starting to worry about Plekanec?

Habsfan

I just checked out his stats on ESPN.com. Our friend Mr. Plekanec has been struggling lately. He has 1 goal and 1 assist in his last 9 games, and he's a -7 in that same stretch.

I hope Tomas will wake up this week end. WE need him!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, so has his 2 line mates and the entire teams offensive production. They have played really poor defensively the last 10 games as well. There are more people on the team i'd be worried about.

Pleks comes to play most nights, i'm not worried about him.

Umm, so has his 2 line mates

ACtually, Kovalev is still going strong. 11 points in his last 10 games played!

I agree that Plex is a hard worker, I just hope he gets out of this slump on the week-end!

Edited by Habsfan

Useless Euro smurf. Hell, they probably want to make him a captain. Isn't that the trend? And how dare he not produce in every single game. *rolls eyes*

Interesting that when he goes into a slump the overall feeling is that he'll snap out of it and be fine, while with Koivu it's the end of the world as we know it and we should trade him for a bag of chipped pucks and a used jock.

Useless Euro smurf. Hell, they probably want to make him a captain. Isn't that the trend? And how dare he not produce in every single game. *rolls eyes*

Interesting that when he goes into a slump the overall feeling is that he'll snap out of it and be fine, while with Koivu it's the end of the world as we know it and we should trade him for a bag of chipped pucks and a used jock.

Well there is really nothing comparable between the two of them aside for them both being European (which is irrelevant).

Koivu is a supposed #1 centre who is paid like a #1 centre and has not been playing like a #1 (or even a #2?) for almost the entirety of the past 40+ games. He also goes through this slump every season and even when is not playing well, he is still taking lazy penalties in the offensize zone.

Whereas Plekanec is a supposed #3 centre, being paid like a #3 centre but playing like a #1 centre. He has always been a consistant player and this is his first "slump" - besides, it's not even really a slump unless you're looking at points: he's still being given a ton of icetime on the PP, even strength and the PK. He's an all-round player who's good defensively (remember how before this season he was considered the dream third line centre for us?) so even when he isn't producing he still has a lot of value to the team and his line is still dominating half their shifts even if they aren't scoring much.

People also take their ages into account. The fact is that one is playing way below expectations and the other way above, so no one is going to complain when Plekanec goes a couple of games without a point.

BTH's mini-rant

So, in essence, what you're saying is that players who are paid below a certain amount and play above expectations are allowed to slump, and those playing below expectations and above that amount aren't?

Someone had best inform the league that virtually every player paid over your amount (which is what, exactly?) will be on the move this summer for chipped pucks and used jocks. I have it on good authority that they've almost all had some kind of slump. Gonna be one helluvan offseason.

This kinda smells like a "give the youth breaks and run the old guys out of town if you can see any possible reason." Good thing management doesn't feel this way or Kovy would be running the show somewhere else. I believe his overpaid slump lasted an entire season?

So, in essence, what you're saying is that players who are paid below a certain amount and play above expectations are allowed to slump, and those playing below expectations and above that amount aren't?

Someone had best inform the league that virtually every player paid over your amount (which is what, exactly?) will be on the move this summer for chipped pucks and used jocks. I have it on good authority that they've almost all had some kind of slump. Gonna be one helluvan offseason.

This kinda smells like a "give the youth breaks and run the old guys out of town if you can see any possible reason." Good thing management doesn't feel this way or Kovy would be running the show somewhere else. I believe his overpaid slump lasted an entire season?

I'm saying that Koivu has been given a lot of responsibility on this team and he has been crap all season. People have every right to be angry with him, he has completely failed in his role as captain and #1 centre.

Plekanec has taken his share of responsibility and we are now relying more on Plekanec than we do on Koivu and his linemates (who were originally our core players). Also, he is not even slumping! He's been playing just as well recently as he always has so it's nothing about giving anyone the breaks. He is simply a better player who is playing better hockey (for less money).

I never said trade Koivu, but he is having a terrible season and deserves no credit for our place in the standings. I would never have tried Kovalev either last season because even though he wasn't putting up points he was still doing things on the ice and was helping the team.

I'd be atleast satisfied, for now, if Koivu was a total non-factor on the ice and we didn't notice him once - but his stupid penalties only hurt the team and I'm not sure he's doing much more good than bad on the ice.

Nobody had mentionned Koivu, why did you have to bring him up. this thread is about Plekanec, not koivu!

A little less sarcasm would be nice !

I'm saying that Koivu has been given a lot of responsibility on this team and he has been crap all season. People have every right to be angry with him, he has completely failed in his role as captain and #1 centre.

Plekanec has taken his share of responsibility and we are now relying more on Plekanec than we do on Koivu and his linemates (who were originally our core players). Also, he is not even slumping! He's been playing just as well recently as he always has so it's nothing about giving anyone the breaks. He is simply a better player who is playing better hockey (for less money).

Crap all season? Well, forget I assume then that we'll forget the fact he led the team out of the gate, for starters, and that the last handful of games are basically meaningless as well. Also, just wondering how you are so certain that he's "failed in his role as captain." I assume, therefore, you've been in the dressing room, have talked to Carbo and Gainey, and know the feelings of the players?

Regarding the linemates issue, it seems to me that Plexy has been playing with the two best wingers on the team for a while now, while Koivu has been playing with a hugely slumping Higgins and the ever-revolving right winger. That in no way absolves Koivu of all his issues on the ice, it's merely a fact. Had Higgsy been playing to the best of his abilities all season and had Ryder been playing... well, hockey for starters, do you think it's possible that Koivu's production might be somewhat higher? Is it perhaps possible that at least some of Koivu's slump may have something to do with the players on his line? In fact, have there not been MANY times when Koivu has been playing very well and still not produced because he's had no help?

I never said trade Koivu, but he is having a terrible season and deserves no credit for our place in the standings. I would never have tried Kovalev either last season because even though he wasn't putting up points he was still doing things on the ice and was helping the team.

Love that first sentence. I guess you're right - you've hit the nail on the head. We may as well have taken him out of the lineup completely because he's done absolutely nothing for the team this season. Not one scrap of good. He's having by far a worse season this year than Kovy's 47 point boner last year.

Oh wait, Koivu has 47 points this year. Meh, he must be getting only the second assist and that's only cause he dumps the puck in and runs off the ice uselessly and by some miracle there's a goal on the play.

I'd be atleast satisfied, for now, if Koivu was a total non-factor on the ice and we didn't notice him once - but his stupid penalties only hurt the team and I'm not sure he's doing much more good than bad on the ice.

You're correct. Total non-factor. Total. Someone had better call up a centre from the farm to replace him, and that player will OBVIOUSLY do better. Stupid penalties? Absolutely. But total non-factor?

You must be one of those people that thinks every loss means the end of the world and every win means we should be setting up the parade route for the Cup.

Sorry for picking on you, BTH, because usually you come on here with intelligent things to say and in the league you're one of the more fun people around, however I'm really fed up with the nonsense Koivu bashing that seems to pop up everywhere. I'm just waiting to see it in the Huet Appreciation thread. "Yeah, loved Huet, he was great for the Habs. Too bad he had to deal with Koivu."

You go into the Prospects section of the boards: "Wow, we have a lot of talent on the farm, sell Koivu for a donzen wings with hot sauce and let's call up a centre!"

The French section: "Not French enough to be the captain of the Habs, therefore he's no good and should be traded for a few practice sticks."

The NHL section: "Poll: Forsberg or Lindros - who would you rather have? I dunno, but they're both better than Koivu, so we should trade him for some pantyhose and a garter and try to bring Lindros out of retirement."

Fantasy World section: "I fantasize about getting rid of Koivu."

HWL: "Wow, his numbers are hugely inflated. He's not that good. He should be about 70-35-61 OA. Leadership of 12.

Even The Lounge: "X-Box or Playstation? Who cares, just trade Koivu already, dammit!"

I mean, seriously. It's kinda pathetic.

Nobody had mentionned Koivu, why did you have to bring him up. this thread is about Plekanec, not koivu!

A little less sarcasm would be nice !

Sarcasm is fun for everyone.

I know you are trying to make a point, which I generally agree with, but I think it is important to note that I don't see any in the french section complaining about Koivu not being able to speak french.

Probably true. I guess I'm used to reading the media. ;)

I know you are trying to make a point, which I generally agree with, but I think it is important to note that I don't see any in the french section complaining about Koivu not being able to speak french.

Thanks! :clap: