Kovalev

Neech

They were just talking about Kovalev's status on RDS, his right ankle has been injured for a few weeks and has been causing him pain. He's still able to play and contribute, obviously, but he hasn't been at 100% for a while now.

I personally think we should give him some time off in the next few weeks, especially on this west coast swing that's coming up. These games aren't against our conference rivals, plus there will be lots of travelling which will only increase the stress on the injury.

We should try to get him back as close to 100% as possible for the final couple of weeks of the season and the playoffs.

If he can suck it up, the Habs need him in the lineup. The club is being good about giving him time off during practice days if he is not up to it. If the Habs clinch a spot and he needs a break, then maybe give it to him then.

Apparently Kovy changed his skates, and his ankle feels much better. In any case, I have no problems giving kovy time off during practise. It's not like Kovy has to work on "his game". He's talented enough as it is!

Clinch then rest it is how great teams have done it for years.

Yep, no other way. When they clinch a playoff spot then worry about it. What good is a rested Kovalev

sitting in a golf cart.

Agreed. Two more seasons, and bump his pay to just above where Koivu's is.

I would wait let him play out this season and hopefully playoffs and see what he earns.

Agreed. Two more seasons, and bump his pay to just above where Koivu's is.

As thankful as we all are with Kovalev's performance this year I think it's in the teams best interest to let this play out. Have we forgotten last season? Let's see what he brings next year. We all know he likes Montreal and signing him should be easy when he becomes UFA. Let's just hope the rest of the year goes well and enjoy it........

Bob will take care of him when it becomes important.

I think we should approach it in the same way that we should approach the Koivu situation: wait until after next season to decided on extending them. Kovalev will be 36 next summer, there might not be all that much gas left in the tank at that time.

They were just talking about Kovalev's status on RDS, his right ankle has been injured for a few weeks and has been causing him pain. He's still able to play and contribute, obviously, but he hasn't been at 100% for a while now.

I personally think we should give him some time off in the next few weeks, especially on this west coast swing that's coming up. These games aren't against our conference rivals, plus there will be lots of travelling which will only increase the stress on the injury.

We should try to get him back as close to 100% as possible for the final couple of weeks of the season and the playoffs.

The guys at RDS don't know what they are talking about. Kovalev knows what he has to do. If he was not able to play, he would say so and ask for a rest. Don't listen to Pierre et Yvon.

JMHO

Look at the picture of Kovalev on one knee in front of Plekanec on the front page of RDS - hehehe. "Mammy, how I love ya, how I love ya, Mammy".

That is a great pic. God, I hope that line stays together for the next 2 or 3 seasons...that kind of chemistry doesn't happen very often.

With about 5-6 minutes left in the game last night. RDS picked up an image of Carbo talking to Kovy on the bench. According to Pedneault, Carbo was asking Kovy if he wanted to rest for the rest of the game! Good coaching by Carbo. He's paying attention to his best scorer!

Edited by Habsfan

With about 5-6 minutes left in the game last night. RDS picked up an image of Carbo talking to Kovy on the bench. According to Pedneault, Carbo was asking Kovy if he wanted to rest for the rest of the game! Good coaching by Carbo. He's paying attention to his best scorer!

they should really sit kovalev at this point, imo

How many years do you guys think Kovalev has left?

Last season's Kovalev has about 4-5 years left in the tank, maybe even 6 or 7. This years Kovalev? Two maybe three. I think since the Habs are getting better, he will have more energy to sink into the mentor -leader he's become. If he can keep this up, which is the huge question.......his leadership with the young Russians will always be a welcome thing but at what Price as he gets older?

I'd stick with 2 maybe 3 years to answer your question....