Our friends Guy, "Jack" and "Adams"

TheAussiePosse

Colorado F - Sakic, Tanguay, Drury, Hejduk, Yelle, Vrbata

Montreal F - Perreault, Zednik, Petrov, Juneau, Gilmour, Dackell

Let's not forget Forsberg who was in his prime!

And the only reason Roy didn't win those awards is because he didn't want to be Gretzky's puppet and compete for a starting job on team Canada. Gretzky went political and made sure Theo won both awards.

Oh c'mon! DO you actually believe Wayne Gretzky chooses who wins the awards. What a load of B.S.!! Gretzky has no say on who wins what award!

Roy is also my favourite player of all time, and I can also admit that Theo,s season was more impressive. Theo had a lousy team. Roy had a championship winning team! Enough said!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget Forsberg who was in his prime!

Oh c'mon! DO you actually believe Wayne Gretzky chooses who wins the awards. What a load of B.S.!! Gretzky has no say on who wins what award!

Roy is also my favourite player of all time, and I can also admit that Theo,s season was more impressive. Theo had a lousy team. Roy had a championship winning team! Enough said!

Forsberg missed the whole regular season in 02.

What I said was:

And lets check what the immortal David Aebischer did behind the Colorado defence that season in 1/3 the starts.

Aebsicher started 21 games, Roy started 61 games. 21x3 = 63. Which roughly equates to 1/3 of Roys starts. I didn't think it was that confusing.

Now if you want to judge goalies, it is impossible to judge their statistics with all the different variables involved. But the best way to do it would be to take somebody who plays under the exact same scenario.

So let’s compare Roy/Theodore to their backups that season.

Patrick Roy - 32 Wins, 1.93 GAA and 0.925 SV%, 9 shutouts

David Aebischer - 13 Wins, 1.88 GAA and 0.931 SV%, 2 shutouts.

Patrick Roy had a 0.571% winning percentage, David Aebischer had a 0.684 winning percentage. As the Avalanche machine broke down how did the great Abby respond?

Very poorly, so much so that in his prime at 30 he cannot even get a job in the league anymore.

Jose Theodore - 30 Wins, 2.11 GAA and 0.931 SV %, 7 shutouts

Combined backups – 6 Wins, 3.55 GAA and 0.900 SV%, 0 shutouts

Jose Theodore had a 0.547 winning percentage while Hackett, Garon and Fiset had a 0.333 winning percentage. Hackett had been a strong performer for the Canadiens at the time had

not had major injury problems up til then, Garon was 24 the same age as David Aebsicher. Garon has proven to be the better goalie in the ensuing 6 years.

The Avs had just won the Cup, their top 2 defencemen would star for Canada in that season’s Olympic games and would make it to Game 7 of the Conference Finals that season.

The Habs were coming off a 70 point season, Bottom 8 in the league and were lead by Patrice Brisebois and Craig Rivet.

In 1993 “Red light” Racicot put up comparables to Roy. In 2002 so did Abby. Common sense tells you that the team may have had something to do with it.

Also, take a look at Abby’s 2004 numbers as the full time starter. Very similar to Roy’s 2002 season.

The Habs solely relied on Theodore and without him regressed to a bottom dwellar in the league. Sounds like an MVP to me. Without Roy in 02 the Avs did not miss a beat and maintained the same level of play,

sounds like they could cope without him that season.

I have made my argument for Theo, can somebody please find me the argument for Roy that doesn't exist in conspiracies.

Edited by Wamsley01

not that I want to get into this argument, but shouldn't we assume that Aebischer got the easier games?

Lets see the winning percentages of the teams Roy faced vs. the winning %s of the teams Aebi faced.

If Carbo wins the Jack Adams trophy I would run down the streets naked then shoot myself in the head in front of the old Forum just to compensate for something else stupid that has happened (Carbo winning).

I would go as far as to say the Habs have been very good in spite of Carbo's coaching.

....what exactly has he done wrong recently (and please don't say moan to refs)

Those kind of comments are just funny. If you don't like GC that's fine.

However ever since he took over the habs have played better then they arguably 10-15 years.

If you don't like the way he treats players too bad. See Alex Kovalev and others, are they playing better? You bet.

If you don't like his defensive system, too bad. It doesn't stiffle the offense. 3rd in scoring.

Get over all ready, i said the moment they hired him times were changing and it was up to the players to put up or shut up. Thosse who didn't respond are gone. There are still 4 or 5 under contract who are next to leave.

....what exactly has he done wrong recently (and please don't say moan to refs)

he doesn't dress as well as Kirk Muller. The head coach has to have the best suits.

not that I want to get into this argument, but shouldn't we assume that Aebischer got the easier games?

Lets see the winning percentages of the teams Roy faced vs. the winning %s of the teams Aebi faced.

Couldn't you make the same assumptions for Hackett/Garon/Fiset?

But I will humour you because it is a good point that should be explored.

Winning Percentage of opponents

Aebischer - 0.510

Roy - 0.532

Wins versus teams below .500

Aebischer - 0.800 (8 of 13)

Roy - 0.712 (11 of 32)

Wins versus teams above .500

Aebischer - 0.455 (5 of 13)

Roy - 0.548 (22 of 32)

It does show that Roy outperformed Abby in 2002. But I never suggested they were in the same league. Just that Colorado's defense was a large reason for his numbers.

Roy chewed up the dregs of the league going 11-3-5 and was 22-17-3 against .500 teams and above.

The point is taken, but Aebischer was 32-19-9 in 2004 as a starter for the Avs. With a 2.09 GAA and a 0.924 SV%. So choose for yourself what that tells you.

BTW, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Edited by Wamsley01

GC is here for the long term

this is probably the best part.

Gainey and Carbo have injected some much needed stability into the management ranks of the team. Gainey is already a masterful GM and Carbo keeps getting better. Carbo has proven willing and able to learn from his mistakes and improve. I do find the yelling at the refs annoying, but he does much much less than he did when he first came in.

The players on this team know, I believe, that both BG and Carbo will still be here after they are gone .

I think you have successfully proven your point.

this is probably the best part.

Gainey and Carbo have injected some much needed stability into the management ranks of the team. Gainey is already a masterful GM and Carbo keeps getting better. Carbo has proven willing and able to learn from his mistakes and improve. I do find the yelling at the refs annoying, but he does much much less than he did when he first came in.

The players on this team know, I believe, that both BG and Carbo will still be here after they are gone .

Yeah, I like Carbo. He seems like a thoughtful guy, but he's also the same person who was a captain of multiple Cup-winning teams.

And I kind of feel bad for him, after each Habs penalty he knows they'll show him on RDS, and he's just standing there pulling some sort of face or shaking his head. We rarely see any of the positive reaction moments.

I bet you would have seen a positive response if anyone on his team stood up for his goalie and took a penalty.

Someone ran Miller last night, immedaite fight and scrum. Standing up for your teammates will get a good response from your coach.

Sometimes it looks like his head is going to explode when the habs (see koivu) takes one of there stupid, lazy hooking penalties.

In the mid term plan 2 years after this year i believe Carbonneau will handle both jobs as a coach and GM.

Muller will be assigned as head coach of Hamilton in order for him to be head coach someday, which would be great.

In the mid term plan 2 years after this year i believe Carbonneau will handle both jobs as a coach and GM.

Muller will be assigned as head coach of Hamilton in order for him to be head coach someday, which would be great.

I doubt Carbo would take both jobs. If and when Gainey will leave, I wouldn'T be surprised to see Trevor Timmins take his place. Or maybe Julien Brisebois(the GM in Hamilton.)

I'm not sure Muller has the right disposition/personality to be a HEAD coach. He's too much of a nice guy.

tell that to Claude Julien

Seriously, i really LIKED the "verbal fight" Muller took with Julien. It was the EXACT job he had to do as an Assistant Coach :

1. sending a message that EVERYBODY care

2. taking a "verbal fighting" charge off the shoulders of Carbo, who can stay in his game, focus while Muller is doing the dirty job. And somewhere, this job had to be done, it's all about respect on the ice.

Now for Carbo, SUPERB (even smolinski was hot ! )

Muller really likes Higgins and the Kostitsyn brothers very much, (not that he does not like other players) but these are his favourites.

When Andrei got jumped he was furious.

I love how the Habs coaches dont take sh*t. Thats what they have to do to show that they care.

This is a nice avatar for Carbs

_team_spirit-00-03.jpg

Edited by Habsfan84

• 3 weeks later...

If the Pens pull off first though, I don't see it happening for Guy, unfortunately.

Crosby-less, low payroll (until the addition of Hossa), and even the goaltending troubles (no-one would have picked Conklin as the lifesaver)

If they win the Conference I can't see how he doesn't win it.

I think winning the division would be enough, that's what it took for Vigneault. If the Habs fall out of the division lead (knock on wood) then Julien is probably the most deserving candidate (if the Bruins make the playoffs).

I have to laugh whenever Michel Therrien is cited as an Adams candidate. With the talent he's got? Give me a break!!! Sure, they did great without Crosby. What that proves is not that Therrien is a great coach but that Malkin can be nearly as great a player as Crosby if given the ice time. Therrien may not be the complete boob he was when he coached our team, but talk about being in the right place at the right time...frankly, Alain Vigneault deserves far greater consideration than him, given that the Canucks are still in playoff position after spending most of the season without their top 4 defencemen.

Michel Therrien! Sheesh!!!!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber