Game Thread | Habs vs. Sharks | 03/03/08

Cataclaw

I thought I'd spare everyone having to re-hash every word of your blathering...so I quoted just enough that they'd be able to identify who and what I was replying to.

Touchy touchy, now.

I pointed that out because there was a response to your comment in the part that you deleted. So maybe the re-hash could have been of benefit to you.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not going to be riding Halak with two games this weekend. Maybe Halak get sthe start Thursday against Phoenix but there is no way he plays both of the next two games no matter how good he is. So Price will not lose his job, even temporarily, unless he screws up his weekend game too.

Jesus, Price had a terrible game but the guy just won 3 in a row and people were all over his jock.

Halak will get 1 of the next 3, most likely the Kings. I believe Price will get the chance to redeem himself against Phoenix.

You guys need to calm down about blaming everything on Price. I agree he wasn't great, but the Habs were pretty much dominated all night. Especially the dzone, which was terrible at best. Komi and Markov were brutal, players taking out there own goalie. Price will be back in Thirsday, Halak Staurday. I expect a much better effort Thursday i beleive against the Coyotes. Plus, they traveled a long way, 3rd game in 4 nights, reading there press clippings about how good they are, they were due for a let down.

The good Points:

Pleks line again

They came back a bit

Bad news:

Physically outmatched with speed and size

defense zone coverage was really bad. As PM would say, they did a tap dance on the habs head last night. 42 shots against, not good.

Know one stood up for there 20 year old goalie who was run all night.

To be contenders this team needs to get bigger and tougher, you cannot let your goalie get run all night, that was embarassing.

We'll see what there made of Thursday.

You guys need to calm down about blaming everything on Price. I agree he wasn't great, but the Habs were pretty much dominated all night. Especially the dzone, which was terrible at best. Komi and Markov were brutal, players taking out there own goalie. Price will be back in Thirsday, Halak Staurday. I expect a much better effort Thursday i beleive against the Coyotes. Plus, they traveled a long way, 3rd game in 4 nights, reading there press clippings about how good they are, they were due for a let down.

The good Points:

Pleks line again

They came back a bit

Bad news:

defense zone coverage was really bad. As PM would say, they did a tap dance on the habs head last night. 42 shots against, not good.

To be contenders this team needs to get bigger and tougher, you cannot let your goalie get run all night, that was embarassing.

Lets give SJ some credit - they came with speed all night and the Thornton line is very strong on the forecheck. Very much a playoff game tonight, with crap goals let in by both sides. 4 goals against SJ is huge, too bad it was wasted.

You know who i thought sucked - Latendresse. If this guy is ever going to add anything, he has to start playing to his size.

The good Points:

Pleks line again

They came back a bit

Bad news:

I thought Price was awful and if he is strong they most likely get a point. But the guy was great the previous 3 games so I will not be calling for Halak just right now. He is going to have plenty of these learning experiences.

San Jose was physical but the refs allowed them to get away with a bunch of bullshit. When you run the goalie and are dropping elbows that are not called it is always going to be hard for the Habs to respond. Against Boston the Habs generally make them pay by scoring a ton of PP goals, they are never going to match up physically with teams like that.

But it would be nice to try. I would have liked to see Begin and Kostopolous in the lineup for a game like that. At least they would have made the San Jose D pay, amazing they weren't considering that is the Sharks weak spot and a strong aggressive forecheck may have caused some turnovers. When pressed they made some really bad decisions last night.

On to Phoenix

Well I watched the game until the 6th SJ goal. My impressions...

Price lost this game. 3 weak goals just doesnT' cut it. BUt let's take it easy on the kid, he won his last 3 starts, and If there ever was a time when the Habs could "afford" to lose a game, it was last night. Playing against a western conference team and Ottawa lost.

The D last night was brutal. Komisarek is my favourite player, and even I can say that he sucked last night. Same for Markov and Gorges. Our play in the defensive zone was horrible. The Sharks were all over the place! Not to mention that our d-men let the Sharks forwards plow into Price all night. Wilson's plan of getting under Price's skin worked out pretty well for them!

I don'T wanna sound like a whiny princess, but the Reffing last night was brutal. I heard that it was just as brutal in Anaheim as well. Thank the hockey gods that we donT have to play out on the west coast too often(where they give us lousy refs...mostly beginners). The Reffs missed a shitload of calls against the Sharks, as well as a few calls against the Habs. There's nothing I hate more than to lose and feel that the refs were partially responsible for the Loss.

Last but not least, how can the number 1 PP in the league go 0 for 7? I understand that 2 of those PP opportunities only lasted 20 seconds, but they still had 5 good PP's and they got nothing out of it! Oh well, I guess this kind of game was bound to happen sometime or another.

let's not forget that the timezone change must have affected our boys!

Edited by Habsfan

Well i think the refs balance out over the year. The devils game the habs got a gift 5 on 3 with 6 minutes left. That was a weak call. So i never complain about the refs, they give some, they take some away.

I was more disapointed that know one stepped up to defend Price

This team has rolled the dice on Carey Price. He is our #1. To me, that means you let him come back after that dismal effort and show us what he's made of. Follow the original plan, which was to give Halak a start in probably one game of the western swing. Patience and stability should be our watchwords with Price, as they've been with every other aspect of our organization.

I agree with Wamsley - San Jose looked dodgy to me. Remember that when you place your playoff bets... ^_^

Well i think the refs balance out over the year. The devils game the habs got a gift 5 on 3 with 6 minutes left. That was a weak call. So i never complain about the refs, they give some, they take some away.

Yeah, somebody should have run Nabokov. That would have stopped the whole thing. Eye for an eye.

Edited by Wamsley01

Yeah, somebody should have run Nabokov. That would have stopped the whole thing. Eye for an eye.

Good point, but who's gonna do it? Koivu and Grabovski? It gets back to your earlier observation that Begin/Kostopolous should have been in the lineup. Easy to criticize with hindsight, but in emulation of Anaheim, the Western Conference is almost ridiculously rough and tough, and the Habs should adjust their lineup accordingly. I'm sure Guy will adapt.

Good point, but who's gonna do it? Koivu and Grabovski? It gets back to your earlier observation that Begin/Kostopolous should have been in the lineup. Easy to criticize with hindsight, but in emulation of Anaheim, the Western Conference is almost ridiculously rough and tough, and the Habs should adjust their lineup accordingly. I'm sure Guy will adapt.

True enough, but Laps could have or Lats. But Lats is soft for his size

Like you say, i hope Carbo will put Bégin and Kostopoulos for the game against Anaheim. And for pete's sake, get Smolinski off the ice. The guy is useless.

Price was bad, so was most of the defensive.

Regardless, if we play the same games with Price that we did with Huet, we will ruin him. I hate the, what have you done for me lately strategy with goalies. Ottawa has the same problem. You have to pick your number one guy and he has to start. Halak should get the games where we are planning to rest Price, and if we must, pull Price in games he is struggling.

I firmly believe that many of Huet's recent struggles were a direct result of the team saying, one bad game and we are going to Price. I don't want the same crap pulled with Price. He needs to be told.. you are the man.. if you have a crappy game, pull yourself up by the jock strap and play better the next game. You will still be number 1.

This team has rolled the dice on Carey Price. He is our #1. To me, that means you let him come back after that dismal effort and show us what he's made of. Follow the original plan, which was to give Halak a start in probably one game of the western swing. Patience and stability should be our watchwords with Price, as they've been with every other aspect of our organization.

I agree with Wamsley - San Jose looked dodgy to me. Remember that when you place your playoff bets... ^_^

Agree with both you and Walmsley. Man some of those goals were bad though. REEEEEEEEEEEElY BAD!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there is a monster of a goaltender in there .....somwhere? but when he is weak ........he is friggin REEEEEEEEEEEELY WEAK!!!!

I also feel the team and defense tried really hard and for the most part played O.K. The whole time zone thing for the first time in how many years? must have really got to them. They just seemed sluggish and that's how they got burned.

A couple of days off and they'll come back hard. Can't wait for the Anaheim game.......

And Yes.....just roll with Carey.....with Huet gone that's all we can do, just run with him.

I disagree...he needs to sit and think about how much it sucks to have the stench of a game like this on him, to motivate him to concentrate and play up to his potential the next time he's given an opportunity to start. He looked lost out there tonight...where his head was at, I really don't know.

And besides that, Halak deserves an opportunity.

Yup Halak is deserving but he won't get it. I think Halak will get the L.A game on Saturday. Price will be in Phoenix and Anaheim on Sunday. If I'm not mistaken they are getting Price ready for the play-offs because he is now our #1. All you guys that are going to cry about it after every bad goal or game need to learn Huet's gone and Price is coming in whether you like it or not, that's just how it's going to be.

We've done first place, We know we are good, let's slowly clinch...........and go on a run......

on a side note. Were they not giving out Carey Price bobble heads in Hamilton over the weekend? If they weren't they were giving them out in SanJose........

Ummmmmmm whe da puck.......whe da puck........ummmmmmmm whe da puck?

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Ummmmmmm whe da puck.......whe da puck........ummmmmmmm whe da puck?

:lol: Watching Price stink it up last night, and on that goal the game before, I couldn't help but recall Melanson talking about Price having difficulty tracking the puck as well as he should at times earlier in the season. It also seems that if Price gives up a bad one early, you can pretty much bet he'll let in more of the same...he gets rattled after he lets in a bad goal. I hope he gets some mental toughness and learns to shake off the first bad one so there isn't a second and third one.....and quickly!!!

:lol: Watching Price stink it up last night, and on that goal the game before, I couldn't help but recall Melanson talking about Price having difficulty tracking the puck as well as he should at times earlier in the season. It also seems that if Price gives up a bad one early, you can pretty much bet he'll let in more of the same...he gets rattled after he lets in a bad goal. I hope he gets some mental toughness and learns to shake off the first bad one so there isn't a second and third one.....and quickly!!!

It's pretty funny being able to have so much confidence in a person and at the same time being scared to death. We have all seen the good, the bad, and the ugly now.

The Good- He is huge, well positioned, extremely well positioned. Did I mention he's huge. Great track record, and everyone who supposedly knows what they're talking about can't say enough about him.

The Bad- The goals he's been letting in are Abby like goals. That's not a good sign. O.K one or two, but when he stinks ....he really stinks.

The Ugly- He depends on his positioning so much that he doesn't really react or move. I think he might need glasses.

For the record.......I'm looking forward to the Carey wonder years, but I have to joke around about him at this point because anymore goalie clinics like last night and I might have to shoot myself. Please nobody attack me.....I'm kidding around, kind of. ^_^

Agree with both you and Walmsley. Man some of those goals were bad though. REEEEEEEEEEEElY BAD!!!!!!!!!!! I know that there is a monster of a goaltender in there .....somwhere? but when he is weak ........he is friggin REEEEEEEEEEEELY WEAK!!!!

I also feel the team and defense tried really hard and for the most part played O.K. The whole time zone thing for the first time in how many years? must have really got to them. They just seemed sluggish and that's how they got burned.

A couple of days off and they'll come back hard. Can't wait for the Anaheim game.......

And Yes.....just roll with Carey.....with Huet gone that's all we can do, just run with him.

Neither can I.....Also going to the LA game at Staples.......I'll finally get to see the Habs in person for the first time in 4 years!

he gets rattled after he lets in a bad goal. I hope he gets some mental toughness and learns to shake off the first bad one so there isn't a second and third one.....and quickly!!!

Ironically, this is supposed to be his greatest strength.

I think that we should go back with Price on thursday to show him that he is allowed to make a mistake and not have to worry about sitting the next game.

I think Halak should get some time in though so I am proposing that he gets in on Saturday no matter how Price does on Thursday. Price could get a shutout and I think Halak would still deserve to start.

I think that would be the smartest move for this organization.

You guys need to calm down about blaming everything on Price. I agree he wasn't great, but the Habs were pretty much dominated all night. Especially the dzone, which was terrible at best. Komi and Markov were brutal, players taking out there own goalie.

Our D was terrible, but how can you say that we were dominated all night? In a game where most of our blueliners were pylons and our goalie was rattled, we were in it until the final minute.

Yeah, there were three or four very weak penalties against the Devils that game, in a game where our only two goals came on the powerplay.

I think that could have contributed to him getting rattled. He might have felt he was alone out there, since the Sharks were running into him with impunity. He was getting angry at the refs instead of focusing on the game.