HABS ACQUIRE RADEK BONK!!

puck7x

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really all depends on how Garon turns out... and only time will tell.

Now that's it done, I'll try to focus on the positives:

- Theo is now the clear #1... and that's fine by me.

- Bonk address a clear & present need for a replacement 3rd line center for the departing Juneau... while addressing the need for size at that position.

Some will say Bonk is overpaid, or underachieving, but the fact is big centers don't grow on trees... and we desperately needed one.

As for sacrificing Garon, Habs are high on Dannis & Halak going forward so we still have good depth going forward... and Huet is an adequate backup.

Is our team better as a result of this trade?... yes since Garon usually sits on the bench and Bonk fills a huge hole in our lineup.

Good trade IMO... now we have someone who can handle the big centers in the East physically.

Originally posted by Guy10

Whoa!....I never expected this...but I'm not sure if i like it or not....I mean Bonk is in the $3.5 Mil range...looks like Kovalev is not in the plans for sure now.

I really don't see the Kovy angle being affected by this deal... Perreault was making 3M on his own, Bonk at 3.5M is money better spent.

We are still in the Kovy sweepstakes IMO... with the number of players we've let go, we have more money than some seem to think.

I don't mind this trade at all (and I even forgot about Dannis). Bonk fills a huge need (especially given the departures of Juneau and Perreault), and the Habs still have Damphousse, Halak, Huet, Dannis to help fill the void left by the departure of Garon.

I'm Huzer and I approve of this message.

Last i heard Gainey was going to try and keep Perrault, I thought our payroll was higher, but if we're not out of the Kovy sweepstakes...even better.

The one thing that bothers me about the trade is Bonk would of been a free agent in a week....and,it didnt seem like alot of teams were after him.

I heard that we are letting Perreault go. Makes sense anyways, he's useless to the habs.

So where does Bonk fit in? Top-6 or 3rd line centre? I like the idea of him being our big defensive shutdown 3rd line C... It also gives the 3rd line some offense...

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev? (or maybe not...)

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Lappy (wait for it... wait..)

GOON - Begin - Ward

If we sign kovy (which im praying for) our lineup will boast one of the better scoring in the league. bonk is a solid 20 goal scorer and when huet played against montreal he was better than average. I hope kovy gets a deal done with montreal cause we will have a very deep lineup.

Originally posted by puck7x

I heard that we are letting Perreault go. Makes sense anyways, he's useless to the habs.

So where does Bonk fit in? Top-6 or 3rd line centre? I like the idea of him being our big defensive shutdown 3rd line C... It also gives the 3rd line some offense...

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev? (or maybe not...)

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Lappy (wait for it... wait..)

GOON - Begin - Ward

i like it. ??Lappy??

Originally posted by habsfan_69

i like it. ??Lappy??

Ian Laperierre of the Kings. UFA on July 1st... Habs are interested (rumoured) and Lappy is interested in the habs. It seems very likely that we will sign him

I think the trade stinks. I'm still in shock, as a very big Garon fan, I can't believe this. Bonk is soft, lazy and scored 12 goals this year. At 3.5M, that seems like a lot for a 3rd line center that shows up every so often. Maybe he's just coming off a bad season, but he's scored more then 23 goals, once in his career.

Huet is way below Garon in terms of talent. I'd rather have Fichaud as backup then Huet.

This trade makes me sick.

:mad::puke::wall:

Originally posted by montreal

I think the trade stinks. I'm still in shock, as a very big Garon fan, I can't believe this. Bonk is soft, lazy and scored 12 goals this year. At 3.5M, that seems like a lot for a 3rd line center that shows up every so often. Maybe he's just coming off a bad season, but he's scored more then 23 goals, once in his career.

Huet is way below Garon in terms of talent. I'd rather have Fichaud as backup then Huet.

Garon had no place in the habs future. Theodore is our #1, and Garon was in no position to take away that spot from Jose. The habs needed to trade Garon sooner or later, he's an asset, so why not get something in return for him? Garon was on waivers once apon a time... Maybe his value is lower then most people think?

Garon had no place in the habs future. Theodore is our #1, and Garon was in no position to take away that spot from Jose. The habs needed to trade Garon sooner or later, he's an asset, so why not get something in return for him? Garon was on waivers once apon a time... Maybe his value is lower then most people think?

Garon had no place according to you but I saw it differently. We'll see what happens, but Theodore at 6M is freaking joke, imo, that's only going to get worse money wise.

Waivers means little, he had to be placed on waivers cause of Hackett.

Bonk is soft and Huet is not near Garon in terms of talent. Watch Garon be the starter in LA, which they got for Huet and a few spots lower in the 3rd round.

This trade sucks.

Garon had no place according to you but I saw it differently. We'll see what happens, but Theodore at 6M is freaking joke, imo, that's only going to get worse money wise.

Bonk is soft and Huet is not near Garon in terms of talent. Watch Garon be the starter in LA, which they got for Huet and a few spots lower in the 3rd round.

This trade sucks.

Okay, you did see it differently. But Gainey obviously agreed with me, Garon had to go. I understand WHY Garon was put on waivers, my point is that he was on waivers and went unclaimed, 29 other teams had a shot at him, nobody took him. That says something about his value I think?

Bonk may be soft, but he provides the habs with a big 2-way centre who we can use on the 3rd line. Why does it matter then Huet is no where near Garon in terms of talent? We arent asking Huet to be our starter, he's just going to play 10-20 games as a backup against weak teams. I'm glad we got something decent for Garon.

This trade sucks.

Okay, you did see it differently. But Gainey obviously agreed with me, Garon had to go. I understand WHY Garon was put on waivers, my point is that he was on waivers and went unclaimed, 29 other teams had a shot at him, nobody took him. That says something about his value I think?

Bonk may be soft, but he provides the habs with a big 2-way centre who we can use on the 3rd line. Why does it matter then Huet is no where near Garon in terms of talent? We arent asking Huet to be our starter, he's just going to play 10-20 games as a backup against weak teams. I'm glad we got something decent for Garon.

Just cause you and Gainey think Garon had no future hear doesn't make it right. Garon can still end up being a great goalie, making us truley regret moving him for such crappy return.

Garon being passed over on waivers means nothing. First off, any team that took him would have to play him in the NHL and for 12 games. If he didn't play in 12 games, he would be a FA. So early in the season, teams were set in goal, if they wanted to take a chance it would cost them over 900K for his salary. He went on to be the top goalie in the AHL last year and looked impressive in 90% of the NHL games he played in.

I'm very disappointed in this move, it makes no sense to me, I think it stinks plain and simple the return is not good, Bonk sucks imo.

As for Huet, it won't be funny if he cost us a game or two, and we end up missing the playoffs by 2-4 points. I don't think highly of either player, so I'm very pissed of at the return. I really can't believe it. I'm still so mad I can't believe Gainey would do this. I hate this trade hopefully I am wrong.

Garon had many many years to take the #1 job but was unable to do it. Habs are deep in goal, infact added a respectable backup with Heut. So adding a guy like Bonk, who is a few seasons removed from a 70-point year, can only help. He plays both ends, doesn't get pushed around like Ribeiro and has a ton of offensive upside.

I say give him a chance.

Just cause you and Gainey think Garon had no future hear doesn't make it right. Garon can still end up being a great goalie, making us truley regret moving him for such crappy return.

It doesnt mean your opinion is right either. Thats all it is, an opinion, we've all got them.

Garon being passed over on waivers means nothing. First off, any team that took him would have to play him in the NHL and for 12 games. If he didn't play in 12 games, he would be a FA. So early in the season, teams were set in goal, if they wanted to take a chance it would cost them over 900K for his salary. He went on to be the top goalie in the AHL last year and looked impressive in 90% of the NHL games he played in.

I think it means something. 12 games isnt much of a problem, if a team really wanted Garon they would have made arrangments to get him those 12 games. Look at Kiprusoff, the habs got more for Garon then the Sharks did for Garon... (I randomly decided to bring that up. lol)

I'm very disappointed in this move, it makes no sense to me, I think it stinks plain and simple the return is not good, Bonk sucks imo.

It makes perfect sense to me. We needed a big 3rd line centre, and we got a big 3rd line centre. We filled a need.

As for Huet, it won't be funny if he cost us a game or two, and we end up missing the playoffs by 2-4 points. I don't think highly of either player, so I'm very pissed of at the return. I really can't believe it. I'm still so mad I can't believe Gainey would do this. I hate this trade hopefully I am wrong.

Hopefully the Habs will not have to worry about missing the playoffs by a few points next year. I understand your POV and I realize your a big Garon fan, just give it time... hopefully it works out in the end.

BTW: Its kind of funny that Juneau (the former sens C we picked up) retires and we replace him with another former Sens C.... But... Bonk is a better player then Juneau was when we signed him.

I've been thinking about this for a few hours and now I'm a little less against the move. I still love Garon, and I think he will be better than Theo and we will miss him (especially when we have to qualify Theo for a shitload next year).

However, think of it as a favour to a good guy in Garon, Bob's finally giving him a chance to do what he can do and it makes us look like a very high quality organization.

Huet was very good two years ago and struggled a bit this year. However his future with us is bleak, and who knows, Danis could steal a backup job in camp.

Bonk is a pussy, for lack of better word, but he's got skills, he's a two-time All-Star, and he adds size that he's not afraid to use. He's only twenty eight, and if, this is a big if, Kovalev comes back, not to mention a potential signing in Lappy, we could have an awesome looking team next year.

I'm going to have to learn to like Bonk, but he's got a pretty awesome name, and we have to let him show his stuff before we give him hell.

LET'S GO.... Bonk.

Even if Garon will turn out to be a top 5 in the NHL... the fact is that right now he's unproven, and staying here he would never had gotten the chance to show us whether he had the stuff of a full-time #1 or not.

Gainey was either going to have to gamble on the unproven Garon and trade Theo... risking disaster if Garon fumbled.

Or he was going to stick with the former Hart trophy winner and deal Garon for probably less than he might be worth since he was unproven.

Look at Kiprusoff, an unproven backup until he got his chance... turned out to be the best goalie in the whole league this year IMO.

SJ got a 2nd rounder for him.

We got Bonk, a big center that fills a huge hole in our lineup... to me that's better than getting a 2nd rounder.

His potential is questionable, can he suddenly find new life in a new city who knows.

Either way he's at the very least a big body that we needed.

Much better spending 3.5M on him than 3M on Perreault to sit on the bench or 2.2M to Juneau when he was over the hill.

However Garon ends up is no longer important, although I wish him luck.

Now what needs to happen is for Theo to reward Gainey's show of confidence with a strong year, and career... and Bonk to re-ignite his career in Montreal.

P.S. Sportsnet mentionned that Gainey said that tomorrow the Habs might look to shore up their goaltending depth... even if I think with Halak & Dannis we were in not that bad of a position.

And Huet will be the backup for sure... forget Dannis, he needs to play, AHL for him.

I don't mind this trade, i have never been a Bonk fan but i think that we got what we could, and you can't say it really affects our team for next year, as Habs77 said we are a better team after this deal. Garon was only going to play in a handful of games anyway.

Now i really think it is time for Theo to step up and be the top 5 goalie that he can be. Gainey has shown all the confidence he can in Theo and he has to deliver.

BTW, let's be honest, this was about as good as we could get for an unproven backup goalie at this point. Garon is a risk right now and it is a lot safer to keep Theo instead, so i say it was a pretty good job by Gainey to get a solid return for Garon, and it is nice to see Garon get an opportunity to be a starter.