HABS ACQUIRE RADEK BONK!!

puck7x

Personally, I really like this trade. Yes we had to give up a great goalie like Garon, but he was a back up. And he would probably be a back up for his whole career if he stayed with the Habs. We have so many talented goalies in the minors that there's no way we could have kept Garon. We can't hold back the minor league goalies too long. We have lost alot of old guys this summer that need to be replaced. Bonk is a good 2 way player and will fit in Juneau's position nicely. If anyone is going to be able to light a fire under Bonk, it's going to be Gainey. After all, he did sign Ribero to a 2 way contract. And look what Ribs ended up doing. Have faith. This will work out in the end.

There's only one person that should be upset about this trade. ANd that's Muckler. Last thing he wanted was Bonk going into the same division on a team that the Sens have to play 8 times a year.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to say.

Some say he is is big. But he doesn't play big.

Some say he is to expensive. But now when Juneau, Dackell and Quintal are gone we can easilly afford him.

But will Bonk accept to be a third line center? Why don't use him on the wing on the second line?

Originally posted by ch_nl

I don't know what to say.

Some say he is is big. But he doesn't play big.

Some say he is to expensive. But now when Juneau, Dackell and Quintal are gone we can easilly afford him.

But will Bonk accept to be a third line center? Why don't use him on the wing on the second line?

I don't get this need to play him out of position on the wing.

We needed a big 3rd center, we've got one now.

All 3 top lines get about the same minutes, he'll be used often even on a 3rd line don't worry.

Even Gainey has said he'll play center, and added we still have money for Kovy.

So it's all good.

Sorry, just read the ESPN boards for the first time in months for a few belly laughs. For some reason, it seems people think Gainey is flipping Bonk tomorrow for a late draft pick. No wonder I never visit there any more. There was more excitement, and less disenchantment, in Habs land when the team added Berezin a few years ago. Sheesh, you'd think they just traded for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy about adding Bonk (I think I've already mentioned that) and with the subtractions of Perreault, Juneau, Dackell, Sundstrom (and possibly Kovalev as well)...the Habs needed to add someone another veteran NHL player . Has Gainey said he was letting Dowd go? Just curious 'bout that, since I remember Dowd was rather excited to be in Montreal, and didn't want to be just a rental player. If Dowd also leaves town, that's 6 forwards the Habs will lose this off season.

I trust Gainey -- lots of changes but when you look at the individual ingredients one at time it's hard to know what he is cooking up, no?

I am confident we will have a better team next season, I am only worrried when 'next season' will be!

Hold on a second -- i just read more about this trade.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Ott traded Bonk to LA for a third round pick. We then dealt our (lower) third round pick for Bonk, that I can handle, but we also threw in a promising goalie for a dissapointing one?

Why'd we do that?

DO you think Muckler wanted Bonk to go to a team in the same division as the Sens? No way they were going to trade Bonk to us. The Kings did to Boston what SJ did to us with Hackett. Muckler was just trying to dump salary to a western team. Just because the Sens got rid of Bonk for a pick, doesn't mean another team is going to get him for just a pick.

[Edited on 2004/6/27 by DjStang]

Hopefully Huet won't be our Back-Up, he will have tons of problems also against weak teams. I saw him live at the WC this year and he played awful ... :P

Danis should really get some time, though it would be a bit too early ... but he's surely better than Huet and he'll be getting even better.

In Bonk we found the guy we need on the 3rd line and I think he'll find new life in Montréal, especially when he's playing with his Czech buddy Bulis. :/)

BTW: I hate to lose Garon, but you've to give up some good value for such a player, simply as that. ;)

WOW

I hate to lose Garon. He will be the best goalie in the league. You guys are right though. He sat on the bench so his talent was useless to us. We needed to trade either Theo or Garon.

I am very happy to have Bonk here. Third line center? Why not second line center...... Is ribs better than Bonk?

We sign Kovy and our team is solid now. All we need is another big D-man.

I am really going to miss Garon, I was looking forward to seeing what he can do. BUT this move is in the best intetrests of the Habs.

I'm glad BG :king: is here.

:ghg:

First. Garon would NEVER have a chance to improve his worth much more then it is now...it just wouldn't have happened with him backing up Theodore. IF he turns into a good goalie it's a mute point...because he wouldn't have had the opportunity to show that here.

Second. I don't know why everyone thinks Bonk will be our 3rd line center...I think it's obvious that the team will use him as a LWer on the top 2 lines. He's played a lot of LW for the Sens over the years and can bring some size to the top 2 lines.

IF(I know a big if...) the team re-signs Kovalev or a similar RWer then we have:

Bonk-Koivu-Kovalev

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder

Higgins/Begin-Dowd-Ward(or Lappy if the rumoured interest is true)

I won't bother with the 4th line 'cause we've got lots of players to fill it.

Seems to me that Bonk's best fit with us is as a LWer. I don't see any reason why Dowd shouldn't be our 3rd line C...

Originally posted by Zowpeb

Second. I don't know why everyone thinks Bonk will be our 3rd line center...I think it's obvious that the team will use him as a LWer on the top 2 lines. He's played a lot of LW for the Sens over the years and can bring some size to the top 2 lines.

Maybe because the words came out of Gaineys mouth during TV interviews? "Bonk will play centre, all 3 (Ribeiro, Koivu, Bonk) will play centre" ... It was also in the gazette today saying Bonk will be a centre, likely 3rd line.

It makes the most sense. I dont get why you guys want to play him on the wing. 3rd line C is WAY more important role for Bonk then 2nd line LW. He'll get more minutes as the 3rd line C, and be our shutdown defensive centre...

We've needed a guy like Bonk on the 3rd line for years, now that we've got him I'm not about to let any of you guys stick him on the wing. lol

[Edited on 2004-6-27 by puck7x]

Bonk is solid at both ends but he isn't a checking line C at all. He doesn't use his size as effectively as he could...and using 3.5+ million on a checking line C isn't a good use of those resources.

Bonk needs talent around him to excel...as a winger he'll have that...and he'll easily have more minutes as a top line winger. Especially considering how CJ matches top lines against each other.

Also, I think Dowd is a fine 3rd line C...

Bonk is solid at both ends but he isn't a checking line C at all. He doesn't use his size as effectively as he could...and using 3.5+ million on a checking line C isn't a good use of those resources.

Bonk needs talent around him to excel...as a winger he'll have that...and he'll easily have more minutes as a top line winger. Especially considering how CJ matches top lines against each other.

Screw whats best for Bonk. Whats best for the team is having Bonk as the #3 C (at least in my opinion) . Plus we can always try to sign him for less then 3.5 a year for a longterm deal, its not that bad. He will also get PP time, so his offense wont goto waste. We can put him and Bulis together on the 3rd line with Ward or someone ... Its not bad.

Dowd is an okay player, but Bonk on the 3rd line is a huge improvment over Dowd. Look at top teams in the NHL and who they have as the #3 centre... Tampa has Andreychuk, Philly has Primeau (or Handzus or JR) , Leafs had Newy/Francis.

We've been complaining for YEARS that we desperately needed to get bigger at center... now we get one and you want to throw him out of his natural position on the wing??

:wall:

People c'mon now, focus.

All 3 lines get good ice-time believe me he will be used... 5-on-5 and PK, probably some PP.

As for top line wingers, with Kovy/Ryder/Zednik/Higgins we're fine... and if we don't get Kovy we'll reach out for another.

I could see a Bulis-Bonk-Hossa line a good 2-way line effective at both ends... or if Hossa continues to disappoint put Laperriere in there instead.

In the end CJ will do as all coaches do, play around with the lineup until he finds a combination that clicks.

Just know that the only thing that won't change are the 3 centers.

[Edited on 27-6-04 by Habs77]

Bonk is just as effective on the wing as C...don't give me that crap.

I don't have a problem with the size of our C's...I can live with a small group of C's if we have big wingers...it's just about a balance of size IMO.

Besides...Bonk may have size but he doesn't use it well so I don't buy into that...it's about PLAYING WITH SIZE. And Bonk doesn't play big.

It's not about whats good for Bonk...it's about maximizing his potential production and thereby getting the most out of him for the team...I thought that was fairly obvious.

I'd like to see 2 good scoring lines(18+mins each), 1 good defensive line(14mins) and 1 energy line(10mins) that's solid defensively. I don't buy into this balanced line crap...your best players should be on the top 2 lines and should get more ice time then everyone else.

Moving Bonk to the 3rd line moves a guy who is already potentially our 3rd highest scorer off the top 2 lines and makes him potentially our 6th highest scorer. BTW, I'll take Bonk over Andreychuk, Francs and Newy everyday...not good comparisons IMO.

[Edited on 2004/6/27 by Zowpeb]

Question for you btw:

Were any or all of Savard, Timmins, and Pierre Gauthier in Ottawa when Bonk was drafted?

It would be another case of going after a player they are familiar with... like when we grabbed, gulp, Traverse.

Has Bonk been signed? I know Gainey is willing to make him a qualifying offer, but that just means his free agency staus goes from unrestricted to restricted, right?

He'd already been dealt to the Kings. That lasted 6 minutes.

I'm not convinced.

Originally posted by Habs77

Question for you btw:

Were any or all of Savard, Timmins, and Pierre Gauthier in Ottawa when Bonk was drafted?

It would be another case of going after a player they are familiar with... like when we grabbed, gulp, Traverse.

I believe Savard was hired the year after Bonk was drafted. Timmins was with the Sens when Bonk was drafted, but wasn't in a scouting role until the next year ('95). And Gauthier was the Sens GM in '95 (he was responsible for the hiring of Savard, actually), but was still GM with the Ducks in '94 when Bonk was drafted.

At least Bonk is on a slightly different talent level than Traverse. :lol:

Originally posted by ryder_rocks

Has Bonk been signed? I know Gainey is willing to make him a qualifying offer, but that just means his free agency staus goes from unrestricted to restricted, right?

He'd already been dealt to the Kings. That lasted 6 minutes.

I'm not convinced.

Well there is a definite downward trend in salaries, and Bonk was already considered overpaid... no team was willing to trade for him, except for us, OTT got a 3rd rounder.

Gainey said he was willing to qualify, so Bonk we surely take that 1 year deal... or maybe Gainey can get him to sign long-term for less.

Either way, he'll be playing with us for sure... so I wouldn't worry about it.

Kovy is the one we need to worry about, not that can't afford him... but that he might simply choose to go elsewhere.

We did awesome over the weekend! Bonk as a #3 center and Huet as a backup! :clap: Garon deserved the chance to be a #1 somewhere,and with Theo in net it was not going to happen in Montreal, If Theo had another bad season like the year before last we would still have Garon, So basically we traded an above average backup goalie that sits on the bench for 85% of the year for a big consitant 20+ goalscorer who is a great 2 way player, Don't forget Rollie Mellanson <spell check) is a great teacher and will only make Huet a much better player IMO. also Garon was to make 1.whatever million next year and Huet is cheaper and younger.

I'd like to see 2 good scoring lines(18+mins each), 1 good defensive line(14mins) and 1 energy line(10mins) that's solid defensively. I don't buy into this balanced line crap...your best players should be on the top 2 lines and should get more ice time then everyone else.

Moving Bonk to the 3rd line moves a guy who is already potentially our 3rd highest scorer off the top 2 lines and makes him potentially our 6th highest scorer. BTW, I'll take Bonk over Andreychuk, Francs and Newy everyday...not good comparisons IMO.

Well, on the habs the 3rd line centre usually has a large role and gets more (or the same) icetime as the #1 centre. Thats why playing Bonk as the #3 centre is so important. I am in favour of a balanced lineup and not loading up 2 lines... I feel that the habs are deep enough how to be able to pull it off (assuming we re-sign Kovalev, or replace him with a similar player) . Deep teams who can roll 4 solid lines are good teams!

Anyways... Why are we arguing this? CJ will probably re-arrange his lines 100 times next season.

I really don't see the Kovy angle being affected by this deal... Perreault was making 3M on his own, Bonk at 3.5M is money better spent.

In what friken' way?

People like you wanted to get Perreault off the team because he was underachieving, and yet you welcome another huge underachiever in Bonk.

Advantages of Bonk: Size

Advantages of Perreault: Face-off, Wrist-shot, Powerplay

Not to mention Perreault actually contributes in the playoffs.

Dagenais - Ribeiro - Ryder

Dagenais shouldn't be anywhere above 3rd line. That'll be just sad if he'll be playing 2nd line.

The habs needed to trade Garon sooner or later, he's an asset, so why not get something in return for him?

For Bonk and a back-up? That's pretty sad, especially considering that Ottawa was desperate for a goalie. Probably even more than Vancouver.

That says something about his value I think?

Did Hackett play for us last season? Was Garon on waivers last year?

Makes sense anyways, he's useless to the habs.

That was a foolish comment.

However, think of it as a favor to a good guy in Garon, Bob's finally giving him a chance to do what he can do and it makes us look like a very high quality organization.

That doesn't benefit the Habs or the Habs' season.

All it does is benefit the Senators if Garon becomes good, but I doubt ever better than Theodore.

I hate to lose Garon. He will be the best goalie in the league.

Unlikely.

Dowd was awesome for us last year. Well worth the trade.

Anyways... Why are we arguing this? CJ will probably re-arrange his lines 100 times next season.

He'll have another year to think about it during the strike.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

In what friken' way?

People like you wanted to get Perreault off the team because he was underachieving, and yet you welcome another huge underachiever in Bonk.

C'mon you can't be serious that you don't see how Bonk fills the need for size at the center position, while Perreault only contributed to the problem.

Perreault was a one-dimensional offensive player with no room on the top lines... and that made him completely useless when all are healthy.

And we were scared of using him for important faceoffs because he was so bad defensively... so Koivu & Juneau took most of them anyway.

Perreault boosted his stats on unimportant faceoffs... so obvious.

Bye bye Perreault won't miss ya... welcome Bonk!!

Dagenais shouldn't be anywhere above 3rd line. That'll be just sad if he'll be playing 2nd line.

He shouldn't be on the team at all, perhaps a 23rd player to ride the bench if that, or an insurance policy in the AHL.

For Bonk and a back-up? That's pretty sad, especially considering that Ottawa was desperate for a goalie. Probably even more than Vancouver.

Kiprusoff got a 2nd rounder... enough said.

He was a rental... I don't expect him back, especially with Bonk now in town.

Dowd was small and not physical, exactly what we don't need going forward.