Roy's worst game

Harp77

Hi fans!

Just wondering if anyone has a link to the final game and/or the link to the clip of Roy where he goes up to Ronald Cory behind the bench and tells him he is done in Mtl....???

Would love to watch it again as bitter as it is.

thanks! :clap:

:hlogo:

Hi fans!

Just wondering if anyone has a link to the final game and/or the link to the clip of Roy where he goes up to Ronald Cory behind the bench and tells him he is done in Mtl....???

do you want me to tell you where the best dungeon equipment is too? Are you the gimp?

The really sad part about this is the fact that it wasn't Roy's worst game at all. For whatever reason, his defense completely left him out to dry. And then Tremblay left him in there to embarrass him. Then he made an easy stick save, the fans went wild (in irony) and he raised his arms in mock salute.

The trough from which the Canadiens have finally dug themselves was dug by Reggie Houle and Mario Tremblay. The former for his intensely poor GMing skills, and the latter for pissing off more players than you can shake a stick at.

Incidentally, when Houle was fired, it was after it was quite apparent he was finally getting the hang of his job. His last moves had all been fairly good. Biggest problem with him, though, even at the end: he had no plan. It was GMing by the seat of his pants. In contrast, Gainey has a plan and it's VERY obvious to everyone.

The really sad part about this is the fact that it wasn't Roy's worst game at all. For whatever reason, his defense completely left him out to dry. And then Tremblay left him in there to embarrass him. Then he made an easy stick save, the fans went wild (in irony) and he raised his arms in mock salute.

The trough from which the Canadiens have finally dug themselves was dug by Reggie Houle and Mario Tremblay. The former for his intensely poor GMing skills, and the latter for pissing off more players than you can shake a stick at.

Incidentally, when Houle was fired, it was after it was quite apparent he was finally getting the hang of his job. His last moves had all been fairly good. Biggest problem with him, though, even at the end: he had no plan. It was GMing by the seat of his pants. In contrast, Gainey has a plan and it's VERY obvious to everyone.

Ohh totally. Its amazing how just a couple of ppl can turn a vintage franchise into the toilet for so many yrs. Thank the Lord we have someone now that has a plan.

Houle and Tremblay s/b lynched from ever stepping foot into anything pertaining to the Habs.

You're wrong - they were very useful players, Houle in particular being a really nice player, exellent skills (Tremblay had a role and filled it well - though my Grandfather wanted to kill him every time we watched the Habs together).

Pertaining management, I agree. If you don't know your past...

For the damage he did to the franchise with the Roy debacle, Mario Tremblay should be officially barred from attending any Habs-related function for life. No reunions, no attending jersey retirements....hell, he shouldn't even be allowed to step foot in the Bell centre as a paying customer. If I ever ran into that guy on the street, I think I'd swing on him.

Hi fans!

If you're interested, I do have a short poor quality AVI of Roy sarcastically raising his hands to the crowd after they razzed him about a save. Send me a private msg if you want it...

- Jack

Edited by jackp

I always thought the right answer would have been Roy apologised to and Houle and Trembley tar and feathered and sent out of town on the rail car. That is what should have happened. But it didn't. Roy should have retired having never played elsewhere.

Roy probably wanted out anyway, having seen that Dunderheaded Duo in action. Apparently Tremblay had it in for Roy after the latter had s######ed at him for saying something idiotic in the room. Roy, a winner if ever there was one, surely saw the writing on the wall and was quite probably happy to leave town, not that I blame him one bit.

Reggie Houle was utterly unqualified to be an NHL GM and an abject disgrace in that capacity. He inherited a team with a core of elite talent in Roy, Damphousse, Turgeon, Koivu, and Recchi; quality role players like Keane, Stevenson, and Odelein; and not a few NHL-quality young players (Valeri Bure, Craig Conroy, Darcy Tucker, Donald Brashear, Tomas Vokun, to name a few). He left us with a team that had Koivu as its #1 C and, I guess, Oleg Petrov. Traded Roy and Keane for garbage; threw away Conroy and Bure; traded Recchi for Zubrus; let Stevenson go on waivers in order to protect Patrick Poulin (!); moved defensive anchor Odelein for airhead bozo Stephane Richer; and drafted dismally, most years. (1998 was an exception - he did pluck Ribeiro, Beauchemin and Ryder that year. But that's hardly an adequate nucleus for 4-5 years of drafting).

Tremblay was equally unqualified. On the other hand, can he really be blamed? Why was a rank amateur hired for the single most demanding coaching job in hockey?

However, I think both should be accepted as part of the Habs' legacy, particularly considering their on-ice contributions. It would be wrong to keep jeering them or loathing them. Gainey has come and fixed their mess, after Andre Savard got the process underway. Time to move on and treat them with class - as I'm sure both fans and organization will, in time.

We're an ace team now. Time to lose the resentment and enjoy!

I always thought the right answer would have been Roy apologised to and Houle and Trembley tar and feathered and sent out of town on the rail car. That is what should have happened. But it didn't. Roy should have retired having never played elsewhere.

yeah and missing on millions of dollars and 2 more cups. it's corey who should've been tar and feathered. he's the one who put the canadiens in the dump for 10 years.

as a matter of fact, my father was at the game that night and said that no matter what the canadiens would do they didn't stand a chance against those russians.

I agree that the situation should've been held with more delicacy. you just dont go and trade your best player in 3 days, you let the bids go up. I mean, we got nothing valuable in return. Poor thibault, big shoes to fill for a 21 year old.

Apparently Tremblay had it in for Roy after the latter had s######ed at him for saying something idiotic in the room.

I also heard the same thing on numerous occasions!

Roy, a winner if ever there was one, surely saw the writing on the wall and was quite probably happy to leave town, not that I blame him one bit.

Actually, in every interview I've ever seen Roy do about that fatefull evening, Roy said that it was his biggest regret in Life (the Way he left Montreal). He didn't want to leave. But he also said that it was a very good thing for his career.

Till this day i still Hate Tremblay for what he did. I don't really hate Houle, cause even though he sucked at his job, he didn't do it on purpose to ruin this team. I blame Corey alot more for having put Houle in the drivers seat!

Edited by Habsfan

I've never understood the utter vitriol directed at Rejan Houle. Utterly incompetent, contemptible, perhaps, but not hate-able. How many hockey guys would have said to Corey, "Thanks, but really you should hire someone more qualified"?

Tremblay was a major idiot, abrasive and in way over his head, but again, who put him there?

Corey was a grade-A knob. I thought it was great news when he was ousted.

Roy probably wanted out anyway, having seen that Dunderheaded Duo in action. Apparently Tremblay had it in for Roy after the latter had s######ed at him for saying something idiotic in the room. Roy, a winner if ever there was one, surely saw the writing on the wall and was quite probably happy to leave town, not that I blame him one bit.

Reggie Houle was utterly unqualified to be an NHL GM and an abject disgrace in that capacity. He inherited a team with a core of elite talent in Roy, Damphousse, Turgeon, Koivu, and Recchi; quality role players like Keane, Stevenson, and Odelein; and not a few NHL-quality young players (Valeri Bure, Craig Conroy, Darcy Tucker, Donald Brashear, Tomas Vokun, to name a few). He left us with a team that had Koivu as its #1 C and, I guess, Oleg Petrov. Traded Roy and Keane for garbage; threw away Conroy and Bure; traded Recchi for Zubrus; let Stevenson go on waivers in order to protect Patrick Poulin (!); moved defensive anchor Odelein for airhead bozo Stephane Richer; and drafted dismally, most years. (1998 was an exception - he did pluck Ribeiro, Beauchemin and Ryder that year. But that's hardly an adequate nucleus for 4-5 years of drafting).

Tremblay was equally unqualified. On the other hand, can he really be blamed? Why was a rank amateur hired for the single most demanding coaching job in hockey?

However, I think both should be accepted as part of the Habs' legacy, particularly considering their on-ice contributions. It would be wrong to keep jeering them or loathing them. Gainey has come and fixed their mess, after Andre Savard got the process underway. Time to move on and treat them with class - as I'm sure both fans and organization will, in time.

We're an ace team now. Time to lose the resentment and enjoy!

Although it was not his fault, (who would turn down that job?) Houle was incompetent. Tremblay still irritates me because he has not changed, he still think he knows better and other than the half ass apology of "maybe we could have taken him out after the 6th goal" is not good enough for me. He meant to send a message and he delivered it.

Corey butchered the hiring of the 2 incompetents and then he butchered the handling of the trade. Belfour had a major incident in Dallas with Hitchcock and Gainey knew how to deal with it and it blew over with an apology. The egos of Corey and Tremblay were so huge that they made their decision not based on business.

Corey is who I blame the most.

Edited by Wamsley01

The egos of Corey and Tremblay were so huge that they made their decision not based on business.

Precisely, those clowns put their personal enmity with Roy over the interests of the team. And Houle, the completely inexperienced GM that he was, got fleeced.

Precisely, those clowns put their personal enmity with Roy over the interests of the team. And Houle, the completely inexperienced GM that he was, got fleeced.

"We've had problems in our last five games," said Tremblay.

"We're going to have a team meeting tomorrow. I'm not blaming

anyone for this loss. I thought I could leave Patrick (Roy) in

for two periods, but he didn't last that long. When Detroit got

up 5-1, I thought we were still in the game."

Ref: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores95/95336/95336495.htm

It was the Detroit game. When he was left in the net it was a day of infamy for Les Canadiens. I remember being FURIOUS :wall: :wall: :wall::wall: with Tremblay that he was keeping him in.

I didn't see it coming but I should have. I've always felt that way about that dark night. I'm sure some can relate.

I didn't see it coming but I should have.

Imagine 26 banners? Imagine it Corey :angry:

Imagine :(

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

1ST PRD: DET - (PP) IGOR LARIONOV 7 (SERGEI FEDOROV, PAUL COFFEY) 3:10

DET - VYACHESLAV KOZLOV 8 (IGOR LARIONOV, VLADIMIR KONSTANTINOV) 8:21

MON - (PP) MARK RECCHI 7 (PIERRE TURGEON, VLADIMIR MALAKHOV) 9:12

DET - VYACHESLAV KOZLOV 9 (SERGEI FEDOROV, MARC BERGEVIN) 10:13

DET - (PP) NICKLAS LIDSTROM 5 (GREG JOHNSON, PAUL COFFEY) 18:04

DET - (PP) GREG JOHNSON 8 (STEVE YZERMAN, PAUL COFFEY) 19:01

Hey Mario. Pull him.

2ND PRD: DET - (PP) VYACHESLAV KOZLOV 10 (SERGEI FEDOROV, VIACHESLAV FETISOV) 2:52

Maybe now ?

DET - MATHIEU DANDENAULT 4 (STEVE YZERMAN) 4:33

PLEASE ?

DET - GREG JOHNSON 9 (KEITH PRIMEAU, BOB ROUSE) 10:06

Too late.