Leaf's Cause TV Cancellations

brobin

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/331899

I guess the person who made the strategic decision to only focus on the leafs and pin all their hopes on those guys making the playoffs every year should be fired.

If I ran the CBC, I would be focussing in increasing viewership of all Canadian teams, rather then one Canadian team. Maybe if most Canadians had exposure to the Habs and Sens they would be more willing to be fans of those teams, and watch them in the playoffs.

In the 80s, I became a fan of the Oilers because I could watch them. When the Habs got knocked out, I just switched to watching Edmonton.

Haha.. I thought this thread was about the Leafs shitty hockey taking up air time that it was causing TV shows to be cancelled. Lol.. my mistake.

:hlogo:

They might make up for it in the playoffs. I would highly suggest that the CBC back the Habs and Sens. And I don't mean the normal homage paid. I mean passionately right down to Harry Neale. I don't care if he has to fake it. Suck it up and fake it. CBC :contract: ON THE LINE. Go pro Habs or Sens and mean it. Same for Calgary and Vancouver. Sorry Leafs and Oilers.

But, it's probably too late for the CBC and MVP. :(

Where's my CBC?

I have an even better sinister plan to help the CBC. :P

Don't show any playoff games and cancel HNIC for the playoffs. Leaf re-runs of their championships will make the ratings go EVER HIGHER $$$. Screw Canadian culture. Leafs Leafs Leafs Leafs Leafs Leafs Leafs. C'mon now, Leafs outweighs hockey itself, right?

Too bad for them the very word is in our beloved crest :lol:

:hlogo:

PS. To hell with the CBC

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

CBC should not solely depend on a Toronto Hockey team for their fortunes. If the CBC were disbanded, and other Canadian TV networks bid on the Leafs services there would be no problem.

I for one am tired of funding a network that does not function within a Canadian Mandate. I say keep the news channel as it is Canadian (News across the world and all of Canada) and dump the CBC. This means the leafs will finally be free and not ride on our cash paying their fortunes for such a dismal team. My daddy taught me to swim with the sink or swim trial and error. First few times were with a life preserver... :rolleyes: Time to take off the life preserver andlets see how Leafs will do.

"It's just another good reason to hate the Leafs."

There's lots of good reasons to hate the Leafs, but this isn't one of them. I can't believe the sense of entitlement on display when a producer of television shows has the nerve to complain that her show was cancelled because the CBC didn't make enough from hockey to subsidize it. Here's a thought: how about creating a show that will generate an audience and survive on its own merits? Nahhh, too radical. Write me a another cheque so I can continue to produce shows that enhance our culture, like "MVP: The Secret Lives of Hockey Wives."

:wacko:

I dont see why this is such a big problem for CBC. With Ottawa and Montreal making the playoffs you get to show hockey those two nights. I'm sure the NHL will schedule the Habs and Sens games on different nights.

So CBC should stop crying because they still get to show Canadian hockey even if it is not the lowly Leafs.

I dont see why this is such a big problem for CBC. With Ottawa and Montreal making the playoffs you get to show hockey those two nights. I'm sure the NHL will schedule the Habs and Sens games on different nights.

So CBC should stop crying because they still get to show Canadian hockey even if it is not the lowly Leafs.

The only problem for those of us that vote for other teams have to listen to the LEAF_LUVIN Jerk-offs like Dung Churry and the rest that cover the games.

The problem is simple. They have built a base of Leaf fans that their ratings depend on. Very few Canadians get to see the Sens in particular. So when the Leafs are out, many people stop watching. Even the Habs don't help them much, once you take out the RDS audience.

Of course, if they had build a broad base of viewership and showed all teams, people would be more interested in watching the Sens and Habs. As it is, many people in this country don't even know more then one or two players on teams other then the leafs.

Shows were terrible, cost too much, and nobody watched them, thus unprofitable.

Only the communist broadcasting corporation would make excuses about hockey for the reason some of their crappy, unwatched and money losing shows would get canned.

Do you see CBS blaming new fall season bombs on CSI rating dips?? Unreal.

Shows were terrible, cost too much, and nobody watched them, thus unprofitable.

Only the communist broadcasting corporation would make excuses about hockey for the reason some of their crappy, unwatched and money losing shows would get canned.

Do you see CBS blaming new fall season bombs on CSI rating dips?? Unreal.

CBC has no market research. Don't need it because they can take money directly out of our pockets for every Screwup they make.

they don't advertise very well and the anglos are too in love with american product. Another thing they need to fix is defining what is Canadian. Smallville, Supernatural, Xfiles, Juno or more Canadian then "The Tudors".

part of it is you the canadian english consumer who likes americana then it is the CBC's fault.

Radio-Canada and Quebec are the only real "Canadians". Who watches "Canadian" movies, tv, plays etc. Quebeckers.

they don't advertise very well and the anglos are too in love with american product. Another thing they need to fix is defining what is Canadian. Smallville, Supernatural, Xfiles, Juno or more Canadian then "The Tudors".

part of it is you the canadian english consumer who likes americana then it is the CBC's fault.

Radio-Canada and Quebec are the only real "Canadians". Who watches "Canadian" movies, tv, plays etc. Quebeckers.

Well that about sums up what is happening in our landscape. We depend on sensationalism to drive our watching needs, instead of good story telling and cultivating cultural identity. Hollywood is a big manufacturer of sex, violence and explosions and we eat it up like any American would.

Canada is so engrossed to identify ourselves as American in our culture we have lost our way. CBC was supposed to be funded by us to identify with Canadians and our culture and to educate us on who we are. They have failed and should be sold off. The fact that CBC cultural identity is the Leafs makes me wonder how powerless the average citizen is here. :angry:

Man, this reminds me exactly of the UHF movie with Weird Al.

CBC needs ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING AND CREATIVE MARKETING. Not just any, something they believe and and are willing to invest for more than 5 episodes

Hell, look at Kenny VS Spenny. A bunch of Torontonians goofing off. CBC shows this but the irony is that this isn't their original programming, it belongs to Showcase, another Canadian network.

It took freakin' Seinfeld 3 seasons to hit big time. Before that, it was almost cancelled like 200 times but it was the same people who kept insisting to keep it on. If no CBC execs believe in their shows, it's only normal they get flushed fast.

Well that about sums up what is happening in our landscape. We depend on sensationalism to drive our watching needs, instead of good story telling and cultivating cultural identity. Hollywood is a big manufacturer of sex, violence and explosions and we eat it up like any American would.

Canada is so engrossed to identify ourselves as American in our culture we have lost our way. CBC was supposed to be funded by us to identify with Canadians and our culture and to educate us on who we are. They have failed and should be sold off. The fact that CBC cultural identity is the Leafs makes me wonder how powerless the average citizen is here. :angry:

To me it should say "We have failed and should be sold off."

English Canada is America North. Whatever identity it once had was gone the instant mass media was created. Meanwhile the french continue to cultivate and enrich themselves while we go to the cinema and see Good Luck Chuck. Due to globalization we've lost Canadian clothing brands, Here before Canada is now American owned. All they say is "business is business" well that is fine, unless when you look at yourself as a culture what do you have? We have nothing. Only thing that now separates us from Americans is bi-lingual packaging (while America has spanish) and the metric system. Due to distance and isolation we are regions. BC relates more to Seattle, Calgary Mountain West of the U.S., Winnipeg Minnesota, Atlantic Canada New England, Toronto wants to be NY. Heck the language has now become american spelling.

we are nothing but a business deal, that's what this country is and was founded. Only in Canada can I go the university library and see books titled why does Canada exist, Canada won't survive, Canada the failed state. Worse then hungarians when it comes to pessimism. Yet we're still here.

back to hockey

I've said earlier in these CBC= Leaf Nation. The Montreal Canadiens caused this by moving to RDS on Saturday nights. You can argue with me from Vancouver Island to St. John's Newfoundland. CBC didn't know and still doesn't know how to treat the Canadiens because they always used to be on, no matter what. If CTV got the games, it would be on TSN of course, CTV loves its American programming too much. Anyway the Leafs would still be present because not everyone gets RDS.

The Habs leaving R-C for RDS created this whole that CBC doesn't know how to fill. No english broadcaster in this country is going to be able to fix it, ever. The Habs moving to RDS caused chaos.

back to hockey

I've said earlier in these CBC= Leaf Nation. The Montreal Canadiens caused this by moving to RDS on Saturday nights. You can argue with me from Vancouver Island to St. John's Newfoundland. CBC didn't know and still doesn't know how to treat the Canadiens because they always used to be on, no matter what. If CTV got the games, it would be on TSN of course, CTV loves its American programming too much. Anyway the Leafs would still be present because not everyone gets RDS.

The Habs leaving R-C for RDS created this whole that CBC doesn't know how to fill. No english broadcaster in this country is going to be able to fix it, ever. The Habs moving to RDS caused chaos.

I think you have to go way back, I mean way back. Montreal did not leave CBC. Montreal left the French Affiliate of CBC as they were lowballing the Canadiens organization and showed no interest in the club. English Canada CBC only showed token games, and even when HABS were winning the cup I still watched channel 12 French CBC in Ontario as the Drunken Bob Cole play calling was horrible. (Still is) Now RDS fills that role nicely for me.

Montreal was always treated like a second class citizen by the Communist Broadcasting System. I hope Montreal in the playoffs charges 10 times the going rate for English CBC to broadcast the games. RDS should also recieve compensation from CBC or the games should be on TSN. I am tired of BullCrappy DUNG CHURRY and his snot nosed LEaf brown nosing wanna be broadcasters. Fire them all, sell CBC and let CANADA private networks decide who carries hockey.

As long as RDS has the Habs I will have the hockey I want to see.

and the private networks are just going to show leafs games. I don't know how else to tell you this fact. If you think private networks give a damn about changing something around. lol

ctv or global will just do leaf games as well, they won't be any different. Please, stop calling the station the communist broadcasting corporation, that's just juvenile and reactionary, you're better then that.

Funny, TSN (which is owned by CTV obviously) has been keeping the majority of Leafs games to the Toronto area while trying to show the rest of the NHL 8 Leafs games have/will be shown nationally compared to 13 Habs games. You said yourself Saturday night games will be shown on TSN so theres absolutely nothing to suggest anything will be different. Outside of the Habs, every other Canadian team has been shown fairly evenly. 8 for the Leafs, 6 for the Sens, Flames and Oilers and 5 for the Canucks.

TSN (and CTV) gets it. The rest of the country doesn't want the Leafs shoved down their throats and is going to keep it strictly to Toronto. The only thing you have on them is that they show American content. Heres a thought, maybe it's more entertaining to the majority of people? I check out lots of Canadian content and I'm tired of you (an American) staring down your nose at the rest of us. If a Canadian company wants to make something I find interesting, I'll watch it. The majority of the time they don't while the American companies make lots of entertaining shows. You want a company that makes good Canadian content, watch Showcase. CBC, CTV and Global fail horribly at it (Train 48 and Falcon Beach especially made me lol)

lol me staring down your nose? Try being an American and taking a canadian sociology class. Its all canadian superiority. For the past semester I've had to write essay after essay blasting this canadian identity crisis. Or I had to go around for a month saying I'm sorry for being an american because we all know I've single handily caused the world to go to shit. I've never defended America in my life, until I came here.

canadian content

no, its Canadians don't even know what Canadian Content is, for example where can you find a Canadian movie at the cinema? no where of course. Governments haven't cared about the arts at all. CBC doesn't have a lot to work with. They're underfunded and the CanCon rules aren't strict enough. It should be 2hrs a night in prime time for the private networks with orginal Canadian programming.

People would watch, they just don't know when its on (that's CBC's fault).

Then not a lot of a canadians i know watch tv.

TSN doesn't have HNIC though, if they did, it would just be the same. they'd probably hire the same personalities as well.

So the ability to show games on a Saturday night means they'd change their whole structure (Which is in place right now) you have proof of this?

I can think of about 3 theaters off the top of my head that show original content. No one wants to see it because most of it is shoddy quality right now. Face it, theres Canadian content advertised while big shows like American Idol and Heroes is on and still no one watches it.

We know it's there and we know it sucks.

and the private networks are just going to show leafs games. I don't know how else to tell you this fact. If you think private networks give a damn about changing something around. lol

ctv or global will just do leaf games as well, they won't be any different. Please, stop calling the station the communist broadcasting corporation, that's just juvenile and reactionary, you're better then that.

1. Comrade Pierre, if the private networks only show Leafs games it will not spoil my Vodka as the state run, funded Commie (Notice I did not say Communist Broadcasting System..DOH, now I did) TV station is funded by the people. Extorting money from me to tell me I MUST WATCH LEAFS is a state run Media campaign. Private companies show Leafs, I don't watch and don't pay! Got to love Capitalism!!!!

2. AND I am juvenile, reactionary, revolutionary, insane and obviously very good at getting under your skin... :rolleyes: