2008 MLB Thread

jetsniper

I heard Griffey Jr. was official on the radio.

Theres also talk we could leave the Pirates out of it and get Hermida, Tucker and Stanton straight from the Marlins. I might rather just stick with that deal since theres talk the Pirates would also want Jed Lowrie for Jack Wilson which I don't like at all.

Honestly, I'd like to keep Manny but if he's being as much of a distraction as the front office is preaching then something should probably done (the team definitely looks like it could use a shakeup anyway). I think Bay would be a good addition in the short term but he's 30 and I'd rather take the bigger gamble with the younger Jeremy Hermida. Oh, and theres another rumor out there saying we get Grabow along with Bay. Eh.

I think the Angels getting Texeria and the Yanks getting Pudge is probably putting somre pressure on the Red Sox' plate too.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bay is having pretty close to as good an offensive season as Manny (not quite, but close), plays better defense and is way younger. I hope Boston isn't going to pay the remaining $7m but it ain't my money. I'm moving today so I'm not as in the loop as I'd like - how much longer does Bay's contract last?

It is impossible to say whether the trade is good until I know who else is involved. If the Sox are subsidizing the deal, I'd like to see us not give up the farm to make it happen. If Lowrie or Masterson is going, the deal sucks.

Looks like it's official, although the Marlins aren't part of the deal.

Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers, Jason Bay to the Red Sox and four minor leaguers to the Pirates.

Thanks for the memories, Manny.

Bay is having pretty close to as good an offensive season as Manny (not quite, but close), plays better defense and is way younger. I hope Boston isn't going to pay the remaining $7m but it ain't my money. I'm moving today so I'm not as in the loop as I'd like - how much longer does Bay's contract last?

It is impossible to say whether the trade is good until I know who else is involved. If the Sox are subsidizing the deal, I'd like to see us not give up the farm to make it happen. If Lowrie or Masterson is going, the deal sucks.

I think theres one year left on Bay's contract. I haven't read anything about anyone else going (although the deal has only just happened) but I'll be pissed if Lowrie is gone too.

Manny Ramirez's stormy relationship with the Boston Red Sox appears to be over.

A baseball source has confirmed Ramirez has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, ESPN.com has learned.

Jason Bay is going to Boston as part of the deal, Jayson Stark reported. And the Pittsburgh Pirates get four minor leaguers as part of the three-way deal.

Andy LaRoche, Bryan Morris, Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen will go to Pittsburgh, ESPN.com has learned.

You know what, I think I like the deal. I don't think Hansen or Moss were ever going to amount to much while Bay's offensive production is pretty similar to Manny's, like simonus noted. Only thing I'm thinking about now is how well Jason Bay handles going from a place no one talks or cares about in Pittsburgh to the Boston Red Sox.

Most Sox fans are pretty disgusted right now from what I can tell but I like it. As long as Bay adapts well, I think Theo did the best he could with the situation he was given. Manny's whining in the past week probably killed a lot of his value.

Edited by jetsniper

losing moss hurts a bit, but he wasn't going to be a part of the sox. The Hansen Era ends with a whimper. Maybe he figures it out in pittsburgh, but he had definitely had his chances in Boston. I guess Boston isn't subsidizing?

Reds better get something better than Buck with those two PTBNL's or Arizona got Dunn's 2008 .943 OPS with RISP for a steal. I guess the Reds weren't going to be bringing him back after this season, but if they didn't want him why didn't they put together a deal before the deadline?

Reds better get something better than Buck with those two PTBNL's or Arizona got Dunn's 2008 .943 OPS with RISP for a steal. I guess the Reds weren't going to be bringing him back after this season, but if they didn't want him why didn't they put together a deal before the deadline?

Probably because their management is so inept that they preferred to have a huge asking price and get no takers, allowing them to dump him for nothing. It's how the Reds are run. Worst management in baseball. Even when they make a trade for a talented player, i.e. Volquez, they give up an even better talent, i.e. Josh Hamilton.

EDIT: In the Reds pre-game show, they mentioned that Micah Owings is supposed to be one of the players to be named. He doesn't seem to be much of a pitcher, but he's a better hitter than Dunn. :lol:

Went to the jays-yanks game last night, probably the best one i've attended this year. Thanks to Johnny Damon, the jays were able to pull it out.

Happened to spot him leaving the stadium after the game, i just hope he heard my obnoxious chirping.

Went to the jays-yanks game last night, probably the best one i've attended this year. Thanks to Johnny Damon, the jays were able to pull it out.

Happened to spot him leaving the stadium after the game, i just hope he heard my obnoxious chirping.

we all do.

I had a Johnny Damon jersey.

I ripped the Damon off the back the day he signed with the Yankees. You can still tell it said Damon at one point though so I don't wear it anymore. Thinking of burning it like I did with my Michael Vick jersey last year.

I had a Johnny Damon jersey.

I ripped the Damon off the back the day he signed with the Yankees. You can still tell it said Damon at one point though so I don't wear it anymore. Thinking of burning it like I did with my Michael Vick jersey last year.

Considering your track record, please please never get a Simonus jersey.

wow! you're hitting almost .500!

p.s. - who owns a Brady and a Manning jersey?

I want to own the entire NFL one day. :D

I've been addicted to my Brady jersey lately. For some reason it's a lot more comfortable then usual. It usually just makes me unnecessarily hot for no reason at all.

For one thing, he sucks. Second, Baker loves Bako, so even though Ross sucks slightly less than Bako, Ross was the one to go.

are you talking defensively? because Bako can't hold a candle to Ross offensively.

They both have no power(although Ross' SLG is about 30 points higher), both have low BA's (although Ross is about 15 pts higher) but Ross' OBP is .100 (!!!) pts higher than Bako. League average OBP is .343, the average NL catcher has an obp of .324. Bako's is .288, Ross's is .381. Also, Ross is 5 years younger.

Is there some young catcher the Reds want to bring up? It can't be that Ross makes about 1mil more per year, can it? I'm not trying to be facetious, I can't find anything that Bako does better than Ross. Is Ross that bad defensively to erase like 150 points of OPS?

are you talking defensively? because Bako can't hold a candle to Ross offensively.

They both have no power(although Ross' SLG is about 30 points higher), both have low BA's (although Ross is about 15 pts higher) but Ross' OBP is .100 (!!!) pts higher than Bako. League average OBP is .343, the average NL catcher has an obp of .324. Bako's is .288, Ross's is .381. Also, Ross is 5 years younger.

Is there some young catcher the Reds want to bring up? It can't be that Ross makes about 1mil more per year, can it? I'm not trying to be facetious, I can't find anything that Bako does better than Ross. Is Ross that bad defensively to erase like 150 points of OPS?

Ross is pretty worthless defensively, but like I said, it was more a case of Baker liking Bako better. Bako has caught Volquez most of the season, so I'm so that went into the decision also.

They did call a kid up to see what he can do, Ryan Hannigan. He's not a big prospect or anything, but needs some playing time to see what they can do. With Bako being Volquez and Baker's guy and with Valentin having the ability to play 1st base, Ross was the odd man out to let them see what Hannigan can do, despite the low expectations. Ross his .206 last year and not much better this year, and that OBP is kind of useless when you're hitting in front of the pitcher. He's no loss at all.

Ross is pretty worthless defensively, but like I said, it was more a case of Baker liking Bako better. Bako has caught Volquez most of the season, so I'm so that went into the decision also.

They did call a kid up to see what he can do, Ryan Hannigan. He's not a big prospect or anything, but needs some playing time to see what they can do. With Bako being Volquez and Baker's guy and with Valentin having the ability to play 1st base, Ross was the odd man out to let them see what Hannigan can do, despite the low expectations. Ross his .206 last year and not much better this year, and that OBP is kind of useless when you're hitting in front of the pitcher. He's no loss at all.

OBP is not useless even when in front of the pitcher. Even if you assume the pitcher is an automatic out, Ross would still be on base for the leadoff hitter. I think you are looking at BA too much. If Ross can't play defense or call games, I guess it is reasonable.