The Future of Mark Streit

zumpano21

So....Streit is due for UFA status after this year and he's posted over 50 points this year. According to Sportsnet, he could command upwards of 3 mill on the free market.

So where do you think Mark is going?

Tough to tell who will target a guy like him at this stage. I'm thinking the chances of keeping him in Montreal are getting smaller.

Hope not...... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

if he doesn't re-sign with montreal( I doubt he won't) I hope he'll go in the western conference. that guy could be deadly on a team like the rangers our the devils.

I say he signs with montreal on a 8.5/3y deal.

I guess it depends how much you want to keep a guy around to be an average forward who can double as an average d-man, but is a good PP asset.

If we sign him, we won't sign anybody else this off-season. Unless it's on a one year deal, I suppose.

I have this weird thought that we let both Ryder and Streit walk and bring Perezhogin back.

Look at our lineup if we don't re-sign any of our UFA's:

Kostitsyn-Pleks-Kovalev

Higgins-Koivu-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Grabovski-Lapierre

Bégin-Chipchura-Kostopolous

Dandenault, Locke/D'Agostini

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Valentenko/Emelin

It's really not like we wouldn't be confident in that lineup. We'd be down an option or two, but I do think we could get the job done.

I don't know if Streit will stay in Montreal unless he takes less than market value.

His numbers are inflated because of playing between Markov and Kovalev but he is still an asset that many other teams will want. I don't believe Bob will give him much more than 2 million.

I don't know if Streit will stay in Montreal unless he takes less than market value.

His numbers are inflated because of playing between Markov and Kovalev but he is still an asset that many other teams will want. I don't believe Bob will give him much more than 2 million.

I agree. I think Bob will make Streit a reasonable offer and then some desperate dimwit will sign him to a stupid contract. In other words, Souray-Lowe part deux. I hope I'm wrong. I think Steit's flexiblity and PP skills are valuable for this club.

Well, I'd find a reasonable contract for Streit to be in the 2-2.5M/yr range. He has good talent, but he's not worthy of a contract that reaches over that range.

Yup $2 million perfect, any more than that then Habs are back to overpaying. But I am not the GM and we will see what B.G. does in the offseason.

Well, I'd find a reasonable contract for Streit to be in the 2-2.5M/yr range. He has good talent, but he's not worthy of a contract that reaches over that range.

his offensive numbers are close to where souray was last year and his plus minus ratio is better.

souray had over 5M.

Streit will get his money somewhere.

Yeah, I hope he sticks around for that much. 3 years about 7-8 million would seem reasonable for him. There would probably be a team willing to give him 4 years 12-14 million though, look at what Rivet got.

It sure would have looked good for Bob to have resigned Streit before the season, or during it. Ah well, he's only human.

Anything over 1.5 million is nuts. He is basically just a flawed 3rd line player who can be a decent point forward on the PP, but really nothing special.

He is a one way 3rd line player who is decent in the offensive zone, BUT he is pretty bad in his own end (the reason he isn't playing D anymore). Oh yeah and he doesn't hit either. So basically he's only good if the 3rd line is supposed to be a scoring line.

He gets tons of time on the best PP in league, and has managed to pick up 30 points there by shovelling passes to wizards like Markov and Kovalev. Really now, I could probably get at least 20 points playing between those two guys. This is the exact same thing as Souray last year, haven't we learned yet??

His "versatility' is a joke, he is an awful dman, which is why Carbo would rather put Briesbois there over him. He is very soft, small and his decision making with the puck isn't exactly brilliant. With all the blue chip talent on D coming up, there is no reason his "d ability" should be valued.

Really I hope some dumb eastern conference GM offers him 12 million for 4 years. I will be laughing when the habs play that team and the Kostytsins make swiss cheese of him while he flops around on D, and then gets plastered when he tries his pee-wee board bouncing move on his crappy PP rushing against Komisarek (or misses the net by a mile with his wild slapshot).

Yeah, nice player but awful in his own end or one-on-one. Intelligent, but I'm thinking that S. Kost can play the point on the pp 1st unit next year, if the price for Streit rises.

We'll have some space after the Smoke / Ryder contracts, but should think about locking up the Kosts, Komi to long-term contracts, Plex and Higgins as well, before signing Streit.

Anything over 1.5 million is nuts. He is basically just a flawed 3rd line player who can be a decent point forward on the PP, but really nothing special.

He is a one way 3rd line player who is decent in the offensive zone, BUT he is pretty bad in his own end (the reason he isn't playing D anymore). Oh yeah and he doesn't hit either. So basically he's only good if the 3rd line is supposed to be a scoring line.

He gets tons of time on the best PP in league, and has managed to pick up 30 points there by shovelling passes to wizards like Markov and Kovalev. Really now, I could probably get at least 20 points playing between those two guys. This is the exact same thing as Souray last year, haven't we learned yet??

His "versatility' is a joke, he is an awful dman, which is why Carbo would rather put Briesbois there over him. He is very soft, small and his decision making with the puck isn't exactly brilliant. With all the blue chip talent on D coming up, there is no reason his "d ability" should be valued.

Really I hope some dumb eastern conference GM offers him 12 million for 4 years. I will be laughing when the habs play that team and the Kostytsins make swiss cheese of him while he flops around on D, and then gets plastered when he tries his pee-wee board bouncing move on his crappy PP rushing against Komisarek (or misses the net by a mile with his wild slapshot).

Totally agree :clap::clap:

Post of the day in my opinion :clap:

Bouillon...Dandeneault...

Bob has been burned before in doling out sizeable contracts to middling players who bring certain strengths (e.g., The Cube's heart/mobility/occasional check, Dandy's versatility, Streit's versatility) but are ultimately limited players. Only by the grace of God and Souray's greed can you not add Souray to that list. Now that the organization is FINALLY able to make these decisions from a position of strength, I would be surprised if Bob came anywhere close to overpaying. Especially with the ridiculous amount of quality D prospects in the system.

Still and all, I like Streit and think him a handy player to have around, but the price has gotta be right. (And I'm with those who think it won't be).

Bob has been burned before in doling out sizeable contracts to middling players who bring certain strengths (e.g., The Cube's heart/mobility/occasional check, Dandy's versatility, Streit's versatility) but are ultimately limited players. Only by the grace of God and Souray's greed can you not add Souray to that list. Now that the organization is FINALLY able to make these decisions from a position of strength, I would be surprised if Bob came anywhere close to overpaying. Especially with the ridiculous amount of quality D prospects in the system.

Still and all, I like Streit and think him a handy player to have around, but the price has gotta be right. (And I'm with those who think it won't be).

I'm definitely a Streit fan, but it does seem ridiculous to cave in to a multi-million multi-year contract for the guy given where our team is at. Like I said, look at our lineup without him. Does anyone think we'd really take a big step back if we lost him, or any or all of our pending UFA's?

For D, we have 6 or 7 other options still in house. For forwards, we just give more icetime to Sergei Kostitsyn, Guillaume Latendresse, Mikhail Grabovski and Max Lapierre... which is probably what we should be looking to do anyways.

I think Streit is worth about 5.5 million$ over 3 years. Maybe Bob will go up to 6 million$ over 3 years, but not more than that. There are just too many youngsters knocking at the door and Bob won't feel pressured into re-signing him to a ridiculous amount!

He could cost 3.5-4M per year, I could see a GM willing to pay that for a 50+ point D/F. I think that's too much for him but I would be willing to give him 3 million for sure because he's a useful player for us and a guy we should really be trying to hang on to unless the bidding gets out of hand.

Bouillon's contract doesn't look too bad this year for a solid bottom pairing D-man. It didn't look good last year though, and Dandenault's never looked all that great. But Streit is something that those guys aren't: a key piece in our league-leading powerplay (I recognize that he's not nearly as important as Kovalev and Markov, but he's still very important to it).

He could cost 3.5-4M per year, I could see a GM willing to pay that for a 50+ point D/F. I think that's too much for him but I would be willing to give him 3 million for sure because he's a useful player for us and a guy we should really be trying to hang on to unless the bidding gets out of hand.

That's how I feel. I wouldn't be too happy with having to shell out 9 million over three years (at most), but I think it would be the right move. But on the other hand, S. Kosty could be ready to take over duties at the point, and maybe some other young D we have in the system as well. But that would be a little hasty in our expectations for players' development, so keeping Streit seems like the best option.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Streit this summer.

He's definitely due for some type of raise, how much we will find out.

The biggest important factor i believe is whether Streit is happy playing PP pointman and lots of forward with a little D time. In the upcoming years, i can't see Streit playing regular on the Habs D. Especially with the youngsters coming up and the development of Gorges and O'byrne. If Streit wants to play D, fulltime, i think the Habs can kiss him goodbye.

That being said i would love to see Streit resigned for something like 3 years at 7-7.5 million.

Edited by MFT77

Streit is a versatile player not great at anything but ok at a lot of things nice to have but not for big bucks. He now makes 600k per year, a good deal for both parties. I would only want him back at a max of 1.3m per year and I would have to see what showed up at training camp. He's ok but he is not petr svoboda or anthing close. small no fight no hit has offensive talent just my opinnion. :ghg: :ghg:

He isn't a priority to have re signed. Emelin probably is. All reports say he has a cannon from the point. Also SK can take Steit's spot on the PP. He really isn't that important to the teams future.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Streit this summer.

He's definitely due for some type of raise, how much we will find out.

The biggest important factor i believe is whether Streit is happy playing PP pointman and lots of forward with a little D time. In the upcoming years, i can't see Streit playing regular on the Habs D. Especially with the youngsters coming up and the development of Gorges and O'byrne. If Streit wants to play D, fulltime, i think the Habs can kiss him goodbye.

That being said i would love to see Streit resigned for something like 3 years at 7-7.5 million.

yep. I'd like to see a kind of 1.6 / year + offensive bonus...