Game Thread | Habs vs. Blues | 18/03/08

Cataclaw

Andrei Kost is doing too fancy lately. On most plays two players are on Kovy so he has

free way to skate and shoot that wicked shot that we never rarely see.

Some players are taking it soft.

Time to bring back energy guys like Lapierre and hopefully Bégin.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that was a 45 minute no show. The 8-12 games have been pretty weak. Especially defensively. I love all the excuses. Officiating? give me a break, the habs had 6 straight PP's. Coaching? For the poster who said GC should have picked someone else, how about this, the players didn't make the shots. Simple as thta, blame them. It wouldn't matter who he picked in the shoot out, if they missed someone would still say it was a bad choice.

Wamsley is correct about being young, learning how to win and being inconsistent. The other problems currently are work ethic, it shouldn't matter what kind of team you have, work ethic will win you alot of games. That line up is very smurf like, that is 3 smurfs at centre, and one soft player. That will not cut it in the playoffs. They need to get a tougher line up in. The D zone which was very good at times, seems to be doing the usual standing around waiting for something bad to happen.

For god sakes, shoot the damn puck. I've never seen a team pass up so many shooting opportunities just to make a bad play. The turnovers at both blue lines has been very noticable the 10-12 games. Thye were completely man handled all night long.

Just a tip for Koivu, you should probably cover the open guy in front of the net. I have no idea what Komi was doing there either.

They got lucky to get a point. Hopefully this will be a wake up call or GC needs to bench someone. It's about time for that again.

If they thought St. Louis was tough, wait until the playoffs or Buffalo, Ottawa and Boston down the stretch.

The inattention to defence is rather disappointing, and it's been going on for a while now.

Part of the problem is that this team has discovered just how damned talented it is. We can regularly win games without playing 60 minutes, and we know it.

However, that's a good problem to have. Also, I remember this sort of thing from the good old days of strong Habs' teams. Even the 1993 team took its foot off the accelerator and went into a skid in the last month of the season. Teams that know they're good and have pretty much sewn up a playoff spot have a natural tendency to drop the intensity. This is particularly true if it's a very young, inexperienced team.

I don't yet see a team that's fallen into the trap of thinking it can turn it on and off like a tap, but the signs are we're heading in that direction. I'm sure Carbo is working hard on this.

Way too soon for despair, though. There's lots of time to start firing on all cylanders before the Big Dance.

I want the Habs to be the team that puts the final nail in the coffin of the Leaves.

That would be quite the 12 month payback. Make it happen GUY!

After having goten a good nghts sleep, here are my impressions of last nights game.

Halak played a decent game but he was Awful on the second goal. There was absolutely nothing he could do on the 1st or 3rd goals. Halak was not THE reason why the Habs lost. Lack of effort and horrible passing was the reason why they lost. Sooooo many passes never made it to the intended skater. At one point, I think the Habs had 4 or 5 passes in row that were cut from a Blues player.

Saku, Higgins, S. Kostitsyn, Latendresse and Grabovski played very good games.

The Plex, Kovy and A. Kostitsyn line was playing against the other teams checking lines and they had no room on the ice to maneuver. Bit Tlts had a very bad game last night. Luckily it's his first bad game of the year.

Somebody Please tell Carbonneau to bench Smolinski. I can't stand this guy anymore. He made a huge mistake during the 5 on 3 penalty Kill. He had the puck on his stick and instead of clearing the puck, he tried to pass it to Komisarek, which did not work and lead to St-Louis' first goal. You expect a rookie to make that type of mistake, not a 15 year veteran!

I expect to see LaPierre and Bégin back in the lineup on Thursday. I'd like to see Bégin, Lapierre and Kostopoulos on the 4th line. We needed some grit last night and we didn't have it.

Edited by Habsfan

IMO the game could have been won in the shootout...just stupid shootout selections from Carbonneau

Say he had gone with a lineup like this :

Higgins

S. Kostitsyn

Grabovski

I think the extra point could have been taken

BULL.

In case you didn'T know, Saku is our best player in the shoot out. HE has the highest percentage of success, and he had the golaie beat yesterday, he just fvc.ked up and put the puck on the post.

Kovalev will ALWAYS shoot in the shoot out. He's too talented and has a wicked wrist shot. he should use it more often.

and andrei kostitsyn usually does well in the SO, he didn'T last night and that'why we lost. It's easy for you to come here 24 hours later and say: "Carbo should have done this" or "Carbo should have done that".

Bad officiated game. Thats the story of the game.

Now you'Re sounding like a leaf fan. The officiating last night was OK, not perfect, but OK! It was much better than what we've seen lately!

I want the Habs to be the team that puts the final nail in the coffin of the Leaves.

That would be quite the 12 month payback. Make it happen GUY!

Agreed, the Habs did it in 2006 when the leaves came to Montreal for two games (thursday and Saturday) in March, and the Habs cleaned them out in both games. That was priceless. To do it again this year would be nice!

It is funny how we all see the same thing differently. However Chris summed up my thoughts precisely!

This is a small non-intimidating team. They must use their speed and athletic ability to take the play to other teams. I do hope the Halak experiment is over for this two goalie system. He is good, but not as good as people on this board want him to be. It is Price's time now and Guy should be playing him. Habs will not go far if they have to rely on Halak in the playoffs.

I am blaming the whole team for that disaster last night and I am not letting Halak off the hook so easy like others here. Even he was critical of his own play so wrap this game up as a loss and move on.....

Go Habs!

Re: Halak's performance.

Not his best outing for sure. That second goal stunk and he was visibly shaken, they almost got another quick one. However, he is also a rookie goalie and should be allowed some growing pains aswell. Price has blown a game or two, so did Huet. Halak will improve and this tandom will be great next year and down the stretch this year. Best part is knowing they will improve!

Blues played us like Ranger's do, mature players closing down young ones but cutting off passing lanes. We should have had two pnts but are lucky we got one.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

BULL.

In case you didn'T know, Saku is our best player in the shoot out. HE has the highest percentage of success, and he had the golaie beat yesterday, he just fvc.ked up and put the puck on the post.

Kovalev will ALWAYS shoot in the shoot out. He's too talented and has a wicked wrist shot. he should use it more often.

and andrei kostitsyn usually does well in the SO, he didn'T last night and that'why we lost. It's easy for you to come here 24 hours later and say: "Carbo should have done this" or "Carbo should have done that".

Posted At: Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Firstly, Get Your Facts Straight before you start slandering my opinion!!! :angry:

Secondly Koivu is too predictable in the shootout. He is a marginal 4 for 10 now...40%

Grabovski was having a phenomenal game...why not give a guy with confidence a shot?

Kovalev was shooting and missing all game long. I think he had something like 7 shots all game...you could tell he was having an off night...I don't know where your reasoning is there? And a wrist shot in the shootout? Bahaha wheres that crack your smoking...it must be good stuff.

Sergei Kostitsyn...now theres a guy with a quick release...he deserved to be in there

Andrei Kostitsyn was an alright selection......And dont put the game Kostitsyns shoulders....because if you do that...you obviously didn't watch.

And why not Higgins? He is on a hot streak right now...might as well ride it out to the bitter end and have the shootout opportunity to be a pivotal chance for him to really turn on the jets for the remaining stretch of games.

Anyways, if you want to bash my comments some more, be prepared to eat your own words and type wisely

Price would not have got better results from a laxative team in the first 45 minutes.

Blaming Halak for a top shelf goal is kind of funny considering no one of our players shot Legace higher than

hip level.

It's like blaming Price for a rebound behind the mask and in the net.

Price should now play some games, dominate and prepare for playoffs by winning and if he goes back on his knees

and lose timing we have a pretty good back up there.

Remember they are rookies. Expecting a lot from them is ok but no goalie even superstars aren't perfect so enjoy their

talent, because they are in fact both very good.

Firstly, Get Your Facts Straight before you start slandering my opinion!!! :angry:

Secondly Koivu is too predictable in the shootout. He is a marginal 4 for 10 now...40%

Grabovski was having a phenomenal game...why not give a guy with confidence a shot?

Kovalev was shooting and missing all game long. I think he had something like 7 shots all game...you could tell he was having an off night...I don't know where your reasoning is there? And a wrist shot in the shootout? Bahaha wheres that crack your smoking...it must be good stuff.

Sergei Kostitsyn...now theres a guy with a quick release...he deserved to be in there

Andrei Kostitsyn was an alright selection......And dont put the game Kostitsyns shoulders....because if you do that...you obviously didn't watch.

And why not Higgins? He is on a hot streak right now...might as well ride it out to the bitter end and have the shootout opportunity to be a pivotal chance for him to really turn on the jets for the remaining stretch of games.

Anyways, if you want to bash my comments some more, be prepared to eat your own words and type wisely

The Habs did not lose the game because of the shootout selection.

I don't think anybody has a problem sending out Koivu, Kostitsyn and Kovalev.

If Carbo sends out Grabovski, Higgins and S. Kostitsyn and they lost I am sure you would not have said a thing.

Price would not have got better results from a laxative team in the first 45 minutes.

Blaming Halak for a top shelf goal is kind of funny considering no one of our players shot Legace higher than

hip level.

It's like blaming Price for a rebound behind the mask and in the net.

Price should now play some games, dominate and prepare for playoffs by winning and if he goes back on his knees

and lose timing we have a pretty good back up there.

Remember they are rookies. Expecting a lot from them is ok but no goalie even superstars aren't perfect so enjoy their

talent, because they are in fact both very good.

I don't think anybody blamed Halak. The second goal was suspect, he was not as sharp as he was on Saturday.

But they didn't show up, and they didn't score in the shootout.

Habsfan was right in saying that you would have bitched about it if Carbo chose your three players and no one scored. I agree that Kovalev had a bad game, but it's not a bad call putting your best player who has phenomenal hands in the shoot out. And if Koivu is so predictable, how did he completely beat Legace? That move worked completely, everyone in the building was expecting him to go to his signature backhand move. He just hit the post. And why not Higgins? Because he doesn't have particularly good moves or hands. Grabovski could have gotten the call, but Andrei Kostitsyn is more of a proven commodity. Like it's been said, you'd be bitching anyways, if the guys you listed failed to score.

And really, do you think your childish taunts are helping your argument here?

Holy freakout. It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa lost to St. Louis. It's true that we need to step up and work on better decisions individually and in set plays. Ottawa was all over the puck carrier. So was St. Louis. It's how to beat the Canadiens. Carbo and company have to address that.

I think the Blues aren't getting enough credit here. Was that suppose to be an in the bank game for us? Weight, Perron, Ryan Johnson, Brewer, Legace, Kariya and Boyes are nobody's?

Bah, let's move on.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Holy freakout. It wouldn't surprise me if Ottawa lost to St. Louis. It's true that we need to step up and work on better decisions individually and in set plays. Ottawa was all over the puck carrier. So was St. Louis. It's how to beat the Canadiens. Carbo and company have to address that.

I think the Blues aren't getting enough credit here. Was that suppose to be an in the bank game for us? Weight, Perron, Ryan Johnson, Brewer, Legace, Kariya and Boyes are nobody's?

Bah, let's move on.

Weight?

He is a duck

:rolleyes:

Weight?

He is a duck

:rolleyes:

Yes, and a very lame one ^_^

Kovalev was shooting and missing all game long. I think he had something like 7 shots all game...you could tell he was having an off night...I don't know where your reasoning is there? And a wrist shot in the shootout? Bahaha wheres that crack your smoking...it must be good stuff.Sergei Kostitsyn...now theres a guy with a quick release...he deserved to be in there

??? Have never seen a wrist shot in a shootout ??? Must not watch many I guess. It's pretty much deke or wrist. :blink:

Kovalev was shooting and missing all game long. I think he had something like 7 shots all game...you could tell he was having an off night...I don't know where your reasoning is there? And a wrist shot in the shootout? Bahaha wheres that crack your smoking...it must be good stuff.Sergei Kostitsyn...now theres a guy with a quick release...he deserved to be in there

??? Have never seen a wrist shot in a shootout ??? Must not watch many I guess. It's pretty much deke or wrist. :blink: