Buffalo or Washington?

TheAussiePosse

Only one of these teams is going to scrape through to 8th place, if any, and barring a Habs breakdown (which is probable, but deserving of another thread if and when it occurs), we have a good chance of playing one them.

Capitals - Our record against Washington is good this season, beating them 5-2 and 4-0, and losing twice in overtime by the dual scores of 5-4. However, they now have Huet, who I have a feeling would do well against us (most ex-goalies are usually quite good against ex-teams), as well as a game-breaker in Ovechkin, and solid offensive depth.

Sabres - Meanwhile, Buffalo's record against us is even (3-3), although we have two more games remaining this season. We've beaten them 4-2, 2-0 and 6-2, but lost 3-0, 4-1 and 4-2 within a matter of eight days. They would likely need to beat us in one, if not both, to make the East's final eight, and they've come on strong late in the season. Despite losing Briere, Drury and Campbell, they have strong goaltending, a tight-knit defensive corps, and don't rely on a sole line for all their scoring.

Last year, our record against the Sabres was 4-4, while we had a convincing 3-1 record against the Caps. But the latter has Fedorov (a lethal playoff scorer, over a point per game), as well as Backstrom and Semin (who are both close to a point a game in playoffs + international tournaments).

Anyway, enough stats. Who do we have a chance against? How many games would it take, win or loss? Who would be more embarrassing to be beaten by? Do either team stand a chance of making it (given that Florida and Toronto are all but out, and Boston has won just three games this month.

Edited by TheAussiePosse

i would prefer Buffalo.

There's always the chance that Ovechkin completely takes over the playoffs and rips everything in his path. Buffalo has very little grit and Ryan Miller is grossly overrated.

i would prefer Buffalo.

There's always the chance that Ovechkin completely takes over the playoffs and rips everything in his path. Buffalo has very little grit and Ryan Miller is grossly overrated.

Agreed. There's also the chance that Ovechkin is a bust in his first playoffs, but I wouldn't bet on it. Could you imagine how hyped he would be to playing his first two postseason games at the Bell centre in front of the loudest crowd in hockey?

But we have a good chance of beating both of these teams, but we could lose as well. Huet might be great against us, but he might crumble as well. Same with Miller.

I'd take Buffalo, for all reasons listed above. The Sabres have a lot of potential, but they're guilty of under-achieving consistently. Miller would be all I fear from them.

As a Habs fan, you have to root for Boston. Between Washington and Buffalo, however, I'd much prefer Buffalo, with so many guys on IR. As a hockey fan in general, I wanna see Ovechkin in the playoffs, but not really against the Habs. Though, if that were to happen, it would be much more likely for me to be able to see a Habs game in the first round, as they'd want to put Ovy on TV.

Boston

I'd take Buffalo, for all reasons listed above. The Sabres have a lot of potential, but they're guilty of under-achieving consistently. Miller would be all I fear from them.

or theyve been overachieving all year ;)

I'm not afraid of anyone in the East...

If Boston wins 3 out of 7 they stand a good shot of making the playoffs.

That would put them at 90 points and require the Caps to go 4-2 to pass them, Buffalo 5-2, Florida 4-1-1, the Leafs to go 5-1

Toss in an OT loss out of their 4 losses and the the Leafs would have to run the table.

If Boston splits with the Leafs they will probably make the playoffs. I think the Sabres are just as long a shot as the Leafs.

I want to play Boston/Florida/Buffalo/Washington/Toronto in that order.

I want nothing to do with the Maple Leafs. Not because I fear them, but as a Habs fan living in Toronto the risk isn't worth the reward.

Boston, Philly, Buffalo, Washington - in that order.

The first two are obvious choices, while Buffalo isn't the dangerous team they were last seaosn and I'm sure we could take them over a 7 game serious. Washington has Ovechkin, and if Komisarek is out for the first round, Alexander the Gr8 will tear through us one way or another. Then there's the whole Huet bit - but I'm actually not too scared of him, more Ovechkin.

I'm scared of Fedorov - he's a crazy playoff performer, even if it's been a few years since he was last there.

I'd prefer Buffalo over Washington, I think their D has lost its bite after losing Campbell.

Who do people see falling out of the top 8, if any? Philly? Boston?

If Boston wins 3 out of 7 they stand a good shot of making the playoffs.

That would put them at 90 points and require the Caps to go 4-2 to pass them, Buffalo 5-2, Florida 4-1-1, the Leafs to go 5-1

Toss in an OT loss out of their 4 losses and the the Leafs would have to run the table.

If Boston splits with the Leafs they will probably make the playoffs. I think the Sabres are just as long a shot as the Leafs.

I want to play Boston/Florida/Buffalo/Washington/Toronto in that order.

I want nothing to do with the Maple Leafs. Not because I fear them, but as a Habs fan living in Toronto the risk isn't worth the reward.

You forgot Philly.

But yeah, the order I'd chose would be the same, with Philly behind Boston.

You forgot Philly.

But yeah, the order I'd chose would be the same, with Philly behind Boston.

I figured Philly was in, and with their win tonight coupled with Buffalo, Florida and Toronto's loss

they are in pretty good shape. 2 wins would most likely do it.

Die Maple Leaf Die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ghL3yWD-I

Well in all honesty I would not care if the Habs played either of those two teams because I believe they could be either in 5 games just based on how poor thier team defense is.

The Bruins and Flyers could be beaten just as quickly but a playoff series agisnt big physical teams like that can kill a team.

I figured Philly was in, and with their win tonight coupled with Buffalo, Florida and Toronto's loss

they are in pretty good shape. 2 wins would most likely do it.

Yeah they're in good shape, but this thread was about who we'd rather face, and you were giving your ranking of the teams.

washington has weaker overall goaltending but they have offense, lots of offense. they have ovechkin I dont think that we have ever faced washington in the playoffs.

buffalo has better goaltending, great offense but can be spotty on D. however, they have alot of playoff experience. we have seen enough of them in the playoffs.

as a Habs fan I would love to play Washington but as an overall hockey fan I think that washington vs pittsburgh would be so awesome.

washington has weaker overall goaltending but they have offense, lots of offense. they have ovechkin I dont think that we have ever faced washington in the playoffs.

buffalo has better goaltending, great offense but can be spotty on D. however, they have alot of playoff experience. we have seen enough of them in the playoffs.

as a Habs fan I would love to play Washington but as an overall hockey fan I think that washington vs pittsburgh would be so awesome.

washington vs. pittsburgh would be awesome.

Who we play is not important. CAN'T be important. How we play is everything. We need Begin to be a beast out there. I know I talk about him a lot, but the importance of a guy like him in clutch games is huge. I think you will see Dandy play more too. Hit, hit and hit some more. It's the playoff formula. This is one thing that worries me about this team. I hope Lil t!ts sees this and starts back with those career ending open ice hits. It sounds harsh, but the way to win playoffs is to grind the other team down. I would like to see them start with Boston obviously. Philly worries me a bit. I think they could outhit us and take away from our firepower.

Anyone but Washington...

If they make it, they will be on a roll. Ovechkin scares me as I suspect he will be hot in the playoffs. Huet has something to prove and is playing damn well for them.

We can definitely beat them, but of all the teams on the possible opponent list, these guys worry me the most.

Anyone but Washington...

If they make it, they will be on a roll. Ovechkin scares me as I suspect he will be hot in the playoffs. Huet has something to prove and is playing damn well for them.

We can definitely beat them, but of all the teams on the possible opponent list, these guys worry me the most.

I watched the Caps game last night and they said Huet has been great in 5 of the 8 games he played and average to bad in the other 3.

It is not a critique of his ability, I am not here to slam your hero. Just repeating what the announcers said.

I will be praying for Boston and hoping the Rangers do not drop to 7th or 8th.

There is an option ... Washington takes Carolina's place at number three, and we play the dreaded Canes (who would drop to 8th or 9th). It would require Washington to get five points more than the Canes, having allowed them a point in the shoot-out win yesterday, but it's not entirely impossible.

So how would we fare against Carolina? Do they stand a chance of getting knocked out of No. 3?

There is an option ... Washington takes Carolina's place at number three, and we play the dreaded Canes (who would drop to 8th or 9th). It would require Washington to get five points more than the Canes, having allowed them a point in the shoot-out win yesterday, but it's not entirely impossible.

So how would we fare against Carolina? Do they stand a chance of getting knocked out of No. 3?

I doubt Carolina drops. I would love to beat them though.

I hate ERIC COLE more than anybody in hockey. He dropped the shoulder into Huet's chin last night on the second goal

and was deemed to be pushed in by the defenceman.

Without Komisarek the D could be hard pressed to contain him like always.

I will be Boston's biggest fan in the next week and a half. Boston or Philly in the first round would almost assure May hockey.

Taking on the Caps would be a lot of fun. I'm not scared of the ex-Habs factor with Huet... we seem to have beaten that recently (remember the Theodore blowout, and Zednik hasn't bitten us in the butt or anything. I guess Bonk had a good game against us, but it's pretty hit or miss.

Honestly, the one team I don't really want to face? The Rangers. Well, and the Hurricanes are the close 2nd.

I really dont want to face Washington 1st round...You heard it from me first...Huet very well may come back to haunt us...and Bob Gainey will look no smarter than Homer Simpson. In reality...I think washington can pass Carolina and take 3rd place, so I'm guessing we end up with philly or hopefully buffalo first round.