Buffalo or Washington?

TheAussiePosse

JMMR brought up a good point about facing physical teams. We'd very likely win a series against Boston - although I doubt it would be a sweep - but 4-6 games against that team would take its toll. Philly isn't really that big of a team compared with Boston, they have a reputation because of their dirtiness. Washington, from the games we played against them, I remember being a relatively big and physical team.

Strangely enough, I dont fear any single team, except for the Rangers....and even them I think we will beat.

From the west?

I watched the Caps game last night and they said Huet has been great in 5 of the 8 games he played and average to bad in the other 3.

It is not a critique of his ability, I am not here to slam your hero. Just repeating what the announcers said.

I will be praying for Boston and hoping the Rangers do not drop to 7th or 8th.

LOL, my hero... He is not my hero, I just apprecated his work (as I appreciate Halak and Price) while you clearly disliked him. Hence, he did no right in your eyes and you even had to jump in on this....

Huet has great stats with Washington and average to bad could be 5 brillant games, 2 average, one bad... so.. like.. better then Price has been. In fact, most of their fan base are begging for him to be signed quick...

Regardless, I do not want to face Huet. He has been fantastic and he will be motivated. Toss in Ovechkin in his first playoffs and they are a classic first round upset team. Kind of like us against Boston in the past.

I would rather face Boston, Philly, or Buffalo. No question.

LOL, my hero... He is not my hero, I just apprecated his work (as I appreciate Halak and Price) while you clearly disliked him. Hence, he did no right in your eyes and you even had to jump in on this....

Huet has great stats with Washington and average to bad could be 5 brillant games, 2 average, one bad... so.. like.. better then Price has been. In fact, most of their fan base are begging for him to be signed quick...

Regardless, I do not want to face Huet. He has been fantastic and he will be motivated. Toss in Ovechkin in his first playoffs and they are a classic first round upset team. Kind of like us against Boston in the past.

I would rather face Boston, Philly, or Buffalo. No question.

Never hated Huet. Still don't hate Huet. Average goalie who blows hot and cold. No more, no less.

As far as bad goals, haven't called many of those lately either. Probably because there haven't been any.

Halak against the Blues is the only one I can recall, the blowout against Ottawa, who cares.

I am not going to speculate on performances that I did not see, but the announcers were implying that he was inconsistent.

Something that everybody on this board would understand.

If the Habs play their game they can beat anybody. THe Habs beat the Bruins in 2002 because Theo was 10 times better than Byron Dafoe.

The Habs beat the Bruins in 2004 because Theo again was better than Raycroft and the Bs defence was brutally slow and could not contain Kovalev,

Koivu and Zednik's speed.

Huet is not likely to outplay Price/Halak to the same extent that Theo did in those series. Stop Ovechkin and the Caps go down meekly.

Seeing as 4 of the greatest shutdown forwards in the history of the game happen to make up the coaching staff and management, I think they

can slow him down enough to beat them. Everybody thought Crosby and co. were a darkhorse last season and the Pens got destroyed in the

first round. Playoff hockey is not regular season hockey. Better players than Ovechkin have been shutdown in a 7 game series.

You say that if we stop Ovechkin, it's basically over.

I agree, and I also agree that Washington is not a team to be scared of. But we have had trouble shutting down top snipers this year (the ones teams go into games thinking they have to stop) and that is mostly because we don't have a shutdown line. I definitely think we could beat Washington, whether Ovechkin's scoring on us or not. I just don't think we should be depending on shutting down the top stars of the other teams, because that is not one of the things we do well.

Everybody thought Crosby and co. were a darkhorse last season and the Pens got destroyed in the first round.

That doesn't make any sense. If lots of people think a team is a darkhorse, then by definition they are no longer a darkhorse. The whole point of being a darkhorse is that not many people think they will succeed.

You say that if we stop Ovechkin, it's basically over.

I agree, and I also agree that Washington is not a team to be scared of. But we have had trouble shutting down top snipers this year (the ones teams go into games thinking they have to stop) and that is mostly because we don't have a shutdown line. I definitely think we could beat Washington, whether Ovechkin's scoring on us or not. I just don't think we should be depending on shutting down the top stars of the other teams, because that is not one of the things we do well.

I like the Habs odds with 9 Selke's on their coaching/management staff of coming up with a way to stop Ovechkin.

I think the Great 8 is the best player in the league, but I also think that when you play the same team and just prepare

to stop him that it is much different than running through a gameday skate gameplan.

Your focus is varied throughout the regular season, in the playoffs you anazlyse your opponent and spend 7 games

implementing strategies and adjusting to your opponent. Many stars have disappeared in the playoffs (I do not expect Ovechkin to)

But I also think he will not be able to wreak havoc on the Habs 4 times in 7 games.

The habs do need a shutdown line, but strange things happen in the playoffs. In 93 did anybody think that Paul Dipietro and

Gilbert Dionne would provide second line production from the 3rd line. With clearly defined roles I believe that Gainey and

Carbo will figure out a way to get the job done.

I really wouldn't mind either. The only player that worries me on either team though is AO. I'm thinking these guys have been scoring on Huet for the past few years in practice every day. They know his tendancies. The same can be said for the other way around but I would give the advantage to our shooters. I bet Kovy could rip him apart.

Bruins have to top this list, then Buffalo, who look cooked anyways.

I'd love to match up with either Boston or Philly as a 7-seed, and see Wash and Pitts go head-to-head in a 7 game, all-offense, ultra exhausting series. Let Pitts take the top seed if they get Wash. If we get Wash, our depth and superior D, superior team O, superior goaltending will rub them out in 5 or 6.

Just don't want Rags in the 1st round. Give us the big, veteran defensive team in the second round - Rags, NJ, Ott - and I like our chances.

If we get past that first round in style, this team could really take off.

Allowing Pittsburgh to make it to 1st would let us play Philly/Boston, but then we'd be stuck playing either Carolina or Ottawa, which is the last thing we want.

I'd rather the Caps in the first round, then hope for Rangers or Devils in the second. The Rangers don't scare me half as much as the Canes.

But I think it'll all come down to how quickly we dispatch our first round opposition. If we wear ourselves down with 6 or 7 games, it could doom us from the get-go.

From the west?

Well, I meant the east. But if we end up playing any more teams from the west this season, I wont fear them. It will mean we have peaked and won the east. Anything goes then...

Oh and by the way F%&K Ovechkin. There is no way he could beat us alone in 7. This is a team that struggled last night to beat TB in a must-win. I would love to play them.

I'd also have to think our boys know a thing or 2 about beating Huet, as well.

Oh and by the way F%&K Ovechkin. There is no way he could beat us alone in 7. This is a team that struggled last night to beat TB in a must-win. I would love to play them.

I'd also have to think our boys know a thing or 2 about beating Huet, as well.

We always struggle against Florida teams. Does that make the habs bad?. We struggled last night against the Leafs when we could have clinched, does that make us bad? Huet shut out Florida last night.

I'd also like to think Huet knows a thing or two about beating our boys. Facing Washington would make me nervous. But hey so would Buffalo, they always make things hard for us with speed of their own. Boston would have something big to prove against us. If they grabbed one win who knows what kind of streak they could go on, 1st round of the play-offs would be a bad place to find out. At the end of the day we are a way faster team.

Philli? They are rough and tough, but I think we would kill them in the first round.......That's who I want.....The Flyers and that little Brierre, and than the Bruins after that I suppose we'll have to deal with the Pens.

It's going to be a great play-off boys. There will not be too many sweeps this year, I can tell you that much.

We always struggle against Florida teams. Does that make the habs bad?. We struggled last night against the Leafs when we could have clinched, does that make us bad? Huet shut out Florida last night.

I'd also like to think Huet knows a thing or two about beating our boys. Facing Washington would make me nervous. But hey so would Buffalo, they always make things hard for us with speed of their own. Boston would have something big to prove against us. If they grabbed one win who knows what kind of streak they could go on, 1st round of the play-offs would be a bad place to find out. At the end of the day we are a way faster team.

Philli? They are rough and tough, but I think we would kill them in the first round.......That's who I want.....The Flyers and that little Brierre, and than the Bruins after that I suppose we'll have to deal with the Pens.

It's going to be a great play-off boys. There will not be too many sweeps this year, I can tell you that much.

We have played just fine against FLA teams this year, and we didnt need the TO game last night for the playoffs. That's the difference.

Whatever, you are scared of WAS and I'm not....I'd rather them than PHI....or even BOS. The B's are due