National anthems

JoeLassister

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NHL abolish the national anthems?

• yes
    • no

This is something i think is not necessary anymore and bring nothing to this game.

There are too many players who don't come from USA and Canada.

When you play for Montreal, you're not playing for Canada, same for Boston and San Jose...

Discuss...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, there aren't many players who come from Canada or the US anymore - but there are 20,000+ people (at least at the Bell) in the arena who do.

Keep the anthems - it's tradition. :)

Sure, there aren't many players who come from Canada or the US anymore - but there are 20,000+ people (at least at the Bell) in the arena who do.

and most if the time i'm one of them and it really gets on my nerve. START THE GAME ALREADY !!

just a question knowing your political views.. (its fair game here i think)

quebec's a totally independent country, with no ties whatsoever with Canada, none. Quebec is on its own completely. Would you want to ban national anthems then or not?

then it would represent even a smaller % of the players, ban it for sure.

I'd like to know if they play God Save The Queen in the Premiership League ?? do they ??

I know Liverpool play "You'll Never Walk Alone" (and it's WAY BETTER idea than any nationla anthem) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCn-8MB-v5U

Why mess with a 60+ year old tradition that isn't hurting anyone? Anthems before games is part of the atmosphere of a game, whether it's necessary or not. And if the fans are smart, the anthem can be used as home ice advantage. I mean, how could Edmonton players not get pumped up with the way the home crowd was belting out the anthem? Canadian or not, that was special.

I'd much rather dump the ceremonial puck drop in most situations. Yeah, it's nice on special occasions like opening night and jersey retirements, but it seems like they do one before every other game.

Play the anthem of every nation represented on the ice at the same time, and everyone can sing along to whatever one they want.

Best of all, there's no booing!

I can't believe no-one's thought of this before...

Why mess with a 60+ year old tradition that isn't hurting anyone? Anthems before games is part of the atmosphere of a game, whether it's necessary or not. And if the fans are smart, the anthem can be used as home ice advantage. I mean, how could Edmonton players not get pumped up with the way the home crowd was belting out the anthem? Canadian or not, that was special.

I'd much rather dump the ceremonial puck drop in most situations. Yeah, it's nice on special occasions like opening night and jersey retirements, but it seems like they do one before every other game.

see the link in post #5 . no need to be a national anthem to pump the crowd.

The point is : this is not Canada vs USA so why play a national anthem when this is not national competition. Players don't represent their country when they play Montreal against Boston...

then it would represent even a smaller % of the players, ban it for sure.

I'd like to know if they play God Save The Queen in the Premiership League ?? do they ??

I know Liverpool play "You'll Never Walk Alone" (and it's WAY BETTER idea than any nationla anthem) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCn-8MB-v5U

oh okay, thanks for the what if scenario.

National Anthems being played in N.A. started during the WWII for nationalistic reasons. Now its just a cultural icon that sometimes gets politicized.

Play the anthem of every nation represented on the ice at the same time, and everyone can sing along to whatever one they want.

I haven't booed but I'm guilty of sabotaging the American anthem at major sporting events. (Busch Stadium bleachers which were full of rednecks from Arkansas, a sports bar during the olympics, Blues game when the Canucks and Canadiens were in town, high school events are the most dangerous, people have their guns in their cars and they'll try to run you over after an event in the parking lot) Most of the time though I just either ignore or not even stand up when the anthem is going on. Like I'm oblivious to it.

what really ticks me off is god bless america now.

seriously are we a military state?

I'd be in favor of the Habs ditching the national anthem and perform a Haka instead...

Haha, the haka is awesome, although I can't see anyone learning the moves, let alone the words.

And it'd be a bit different with skates and sticks.

Still, we tried it as a joke for our local city U-18s team way back when, and it wasn't as bad as you'd expect.

Why can't we just have arena theme songs instead?

Well it's never been about where the players are from ... it's where the team is based out of ... when Anaheim plays LA they don't play the Canadian anthem. It just so happens that Hockey has teams in Canada and the US ... if it had a team in Mexico too then they'd play the Mexcian national anthem as well where ever they played or at home. I don't know for sure, but I'd believe that when LA played Anaheim in London at the beginning of the year they played the British national anthem.

I don't see a reason to get rid of that tradition ... besides where else would you even sing or hear a country's national anthem other than a sporting event ?

I vote leave it alone. Enough traditional parts of the game are gone...they play US & Canadian anthems at the Jays games...not Cuban and Dominican. If it ain't broke, why fix it? The anthem isn't specifically for the players, it's a tradition for the fans. Montreal is in Canada, so the Canadian anthem is appropriate. If they play a USA based team, the US Anthem is appropriate...some day when they play Russian, Swedish, Czech *based* teams...I'm sure those anthems will be played too.

Ya, great idea...then the anthems would take up the first two hours at Habs games :lol:

I'd be in favor of the Habs ditching the national anthem and perform a Haka instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zvs4T4RU30

I much prefer this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqlBmszLIN0...feature=related

Playing with no helmets was a tradtion as well, but it got stupid. Things change. As pointed out, teams do not represent countries. And what the world needs now is not more nationalism. Drop the anthems I say!

Playing with no helmets was a tradtion as well, but it got stupid. Things change. As pointed out, teams do not represent countries. And what the world needs now is not more nationalism. Drop the anthems I say!

right on, agree with the whole post.

I wouldn't miss the anthems if they were dropped. Yes, it's tradition and sometimes it's a stirring rendition that adds something to atmosphere, but nothing that can't be replaced... by, say, AC DC's Thunderstruck, for example. ^_^

If removing the anthems entirely is too radical, then at least trimming it down to one anthem per game should be considered. Since it's not about where the players are born, it shouldn't be about where the opposing team is from either. Playing just the home town's anthem will speed things up and give the fans what they want to hear (if they want to hear an anthem at all), and I don't think the visiting team would be offended.