National anthems

JoeLassister

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NHL abolish the national anthems?

• yes
    • no

I say get rid of the anthems. Like mentioned, there are a lot of players whose nationality is neither Canadian or American.

I propose all 30 teams create their own anthem and the home team plays their own before the start of every game.

:lol:

Edited by Captain_Stealth

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd much rather dump the ceremonial puck drop in most situations. Yeah, it's nice on special occasions like opening night and jersey retirements, but it seems like they do one before every other game.

I'd dump both. Save the anthems for national games when it makes sense, and limit the ceremonial puck drops to events that matter.

I'd agree the Habs should perform a haka.

And for the rest of the league maybe the answer is: The Hockey Song

Oh! The good old hockey game,

Is the best game you can name;

And the best game you can name,

Is the good old Hockey game!

Pump that through the PA.

Sure, there aren't many players who come from Canada or the US anymore - but there are 20,000+ people (at least at the Bell) in the arena who do.

Keep the anthems - it's tradition. :)

:clap:

agreed, it is not about the players on the team. It is about the city they represent.

Last time I checked there was not Toronto city anthem, and to be honest, I wouldn't want

to hear it. It would be some Maestro song with the verse by the Barenaked Ladies :puke:

Edited by Wamsley01

They should sing municipal anthems, that'd make more sense.

There are hobos sleeping in every subway stations

The Olympic stadium is now paid, it's not my imagination

English on the left, french on the right of the Main

We luv our hockey team under the sun, the snow and the rain

Go Habs Go

Last time I checked there was not Toronto city anthem, and to be honest, I wouldn't want

to hear it. It would be some Maestro song with the verse by the Barenaked Ladies :puke:

One more reason to hate the Leafs!

There are hobos sleeping in every subway stations

The Olympic stadium is now paid, it's not my imagination

English on the left, french on the right of the Main

We luv our hockey team under the sun, the snow and the rain

Go Habs Go

Keep it playing, it's mostly for the fans, not the players. I live on the right and I'm anglo!

Keep it playing, it's mostly for the fans, not the players. I live on the right and I'm anglo!

from Ottawa, study at McGill and live on the right :clap: seriously you got balls man ^_^ last summer, i was in the subway Peel or McGill (I work at Guy-Concordia) and i heard 2 girls talking (in english).

1rst girl : Tomorrow i'm gonna go for a drink at Saint-Sulpice, you might come if you don't have any plan.

2nd girl (quite laughing) : There is no chance that i'm gonna have a beer crossed St-Laurent...

from Ottawa, study at McGill and live on the right :clap: seriously you got balls man ^_^ last summer, i was in the subway Peel or McGill (I work at Guy-Concordia) and i heard 2 girls talking (in english).

1rst girl : Tomorrow i'm gonna go for a drink at Saint-Sulpice, you might come if you don't have any plan.

2nd girl (quite laughing) : There is no chance that i'm gonna have a beer crossed St-Laurent...

sad

Oh my.....

sweet. Makes the city sound bad ass and rough.

anyway I've got a new anthem people can play:

Orion by Metallica.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sure, there aren't many players who come from Canada or the US anymore - but there are 20,000+ people (at least at the Bell) in the arena who do.

Keep the anthems - it's tradition. smile.gif

Agreed!

• 1 year later...