Free Agents of 2008

ForumGhost

Ron Hainsey and Michael Ryder the most interesting names there...

But a great playoffs from Ryder and I hope he will be off that list.

this year proved that we can do without Ryder. He's going to look for big bucks and long term. Someone will give it to him but not Montreal. e'd too expensive for a guy thats will no be on you top 2 lines.

guys like D'Agostini or chipchura proved to be good enough to play at a fraction of Ryder's price.

Gainey will try to save as much money as possible in the next few years for core guys like Higgins, Komisarek and Price.

Heck I'm not even sure that gainey will go at any top free agents this year. Maybe a centre that can win faceoffs to replace smolinski but thats it.

Ron Hainsey and Michael Ryder the most interesting names there...

As a Jackets fan, I'll be really pissed if they let Hainsey go. He's been their best all-around defenseman this season, he's worth keeping. There's also talk of letting Jan Hejda go, despite the fact he's said to only want a million a year and was the teams best defensive d-man this season.

I WANT BRIAN ROLSTON!

Or Mikko Koivu...

Anyone think Demers will just give them to us? If we ask nicely?

no because Demers isnt affiliated with the Wild. you're talking about Riseborough(GM) or Lemaire(coach)

Rolston would be a great Vet for Us !!

As a Jackets fan, I'll be really pissed if they let Hainsey go. He's been their best all-around defenseman this season, he's worth keeping. There's also talk of letting Jan Hejda go, despite the fact he's said to only want a million a year and was the teams best defensive d-man this season.

I was at the Habs-Jackets game in Feb. I was really impressed by hainsey's play. will never be the best but I don't think he'll be a detriment to the team either.

Does Columbus have an NHL ready D-man in their farm to replace ronnie-boy ??

I was at the Habs-Jackets game in Feb. I was really impressed by hainsey's play. will never be the best but I don't think he'll be a detriment to the team either.

Does Columbus have an NHL ready D-man in their farm to replace ronnie-boy ??

Under contract for next year they have Klesla, Russell, Tollefsen, and Westcott. Of those, Klesla is the only one I'm totally comfortable with. Russell apparently is a favorite of Hitch, because he showed nothing all season long that indicated he belongs in the NHL. Worst +/- on the team, and only 10 points for a supposedly offensive D-man. Tollefsen is adequate, but is probably best suited being a 7th D-man. His main asset is physicality. Westcott is pretty much out of the picture after concussions derailed his career the last two years. They might give him one last shot in training camp; if he doesn't show he's back to his old form he's likely be bought out.

In the minors, their top two guys are Aaron Rome and Clay Wilson, both of whom are RFAs. Rome seemed to be an adequate lower pairing guy from what I saw of him with the Jackets. Wilson impressed me in limited action with the Jackets and was an All-Star for Syracuse. I'd probably be comfortable with one of them for next season.

Back to the UFAs, I think signing both Hainsey and Hejda is a must. Klesla and Hejda were excellent once they got put together, and I think Klesla can improve his offensive output now that he's comfortable with his pairing with a strictly defensive player. Hainsey, sadly, was fourth on the team in points and ate a lot of minutes, especially after Foote was traded. I can't fathom them being able to replace both Foote and Hainsey via the UFA market. I think by far their best bet is to sign both guys, in addition to signing a UFA D-man. I don't think letting Hainsey walk and signing a free agent is going to be an improvement, since it will mean a guy like Russell is once again going to be in the top 6 all season.