Barry Melrose has gone too far

TheAussiePosse

Dear Barry,

As a Habs fan, I was hurt that in a recent interview, you counted out the Habs from getting 1st place and reaching the conference finals, especially when we still have two games left to play. Your lack of faith is disturbing, but not surprising. Having played for Toronto, it's understandable that you harbor a hatred for les Canadiens. Losing to us in the 1993 Stanley Cup as the coach of the LA Kings can't have helped too much.

And while I stand up for absurd hairstyles in hockey (see: Habs moustaches circa 2006), your haircut has just gone too far.

Melrose.JPG

Yes, you now look like a bighorn sheep. I'm sure it comes as no surprise, it looks heavily sculpted. That's about a puck's worth of gel, or mousse, or moose, or whatever the hell it is that molds the fibers into horns.

Anyway, just a warning, Barry. If you go on raining on the Habs' parade, I'm going to have to take the sheep by the horns, and give you an avalanche of pain. The 07-08 Habs will not choke.

xoxo

- Aussie

Dear Barry,

As a Habs fan, I was hurt that in a recent interview, you counted out the Habs from getting 1st place and reaching the conference finals, especially when we still have two games left to play. Your lack of faith is disturbing, but not surprising. Having played for Toronto, it's understandable that you harbor a hatred for les Canadiens. Losing to us in the 1993 Stanley Cup as the coach of the LA Kings can't have helped too much.

And while I stand up for absurd hairstyles in hockey (see: Habs moustaches circa 2006), your haircut has just gone too far.

Melrose.JPG

Yes, you now look like a bighorn sheep. I'm sure it comes as no surprise, it looks heavily sculpted. That's about a puck's worth of gel, or mousse, or moose, or whatever the hell it is that molds the fibers into horns.

Anyway, just a warning, Barry. If you go on raining on the Habs' parade, I'm going to have to take the sheep by the horns, and give you an avalanche of pain. The 07-08 Habs will not choke.

xoxo

- Aussie

you just reminded me of that great Mountain Dew Commercial

Barry rules

You know he supports George W. Bush, right?

I love mullets, I love hockey commentators, but a Republican Habs-basher with horns is just too far gone...

he's not even doing a good job with those reports! he's not smooth - he's not informative - he's not interesting.

for the love of hockey, espn HAS to find someone else for that chair!

he's not even doing a good job with those reports! he's not smooth - he's not informative - he's not interesting.

for the love of hockey, espn HAS to find someone else for that chair!

melrose = don cherry of the states

you're not going to get much out of him.

Espn doesn't care about actual sports anymore, they're just all about entertainment.

I don't care who Melrose thinks is great, he's not pulling schillings or a tom brady.

just because he supports a war criminal doesn't mean i can't like him.

I still like Christopher Hitchens even though he's gone over to the dark side.

I like Clint Eastwood and he's a libertarian.

And Gordon Campbell I secretly wish he wasn't so damn politically savvy, his ways of getting in and out of trouble is amazing.

Edited by Pierre the Great

that's an insult to don cherry.

cherry appeals to all that is blue-collar in hockey.

melrose appeals to all that is ring-around-the-collar in hockey.

like him or hate him - cherry is entertaining for hockey fans.

like him or hate him - melrose is embarrasing for hockey fans.

Edited by revvvrob

you're not going to get much out of him.

Espn doesn't care about actual sports anymore, they're just all about entertainment.

I don't care who Melrose thinks is great, he's not pulling schillings or a tom brady.

just because he supports a war criminal doesn't mean i can't like him.

I still like Christopher Hitchens even though he's gone over to the dark side.

I like Clint Eastwood and he's a libertarian.

ESPN for the most part I ignore. There is some good programs on ESPN radio that helps me keep an active interest in sports in the USA that don't get as much coverage here.

Melrose was the overly talkative coach of L.A. kings 300 years ado was he not.... ^_^

ESPN Radio was and still is by far much better then tv. ESPN Radio used to be even better but that was in its heyday in the late 90s before the talent went to fsn radio and elsewhere.

patrick and olbermann were great, now patrick is doing something else, olbermann still banned from the city of Bristol. lol

sometimes fsn is listenable but its just a national call in network and good ole boys from arkansas get on my nerves after a while.

melrose is good at telling stories, which is why he'd be great on the radio.

Dear Barry,

Melrose.JPG

and it wasn't better back in 93

nhl_g_melrose_200.jpg

Somebody remind me the last time Melrose made a correct pick about anything.

It hasn't happened in my life time.

Is it any wonder he makes his playoff picks "subject to change?"

Yes, it happens.

He's the only person the regular football-loving, give me the hot stove league or give me death ESPN regular viewer associates with hockey. What ever happened to Al Morganti?

He's the only person the regular football-loving, give me the hot stove league or give me death ESPN regular viewer associates with hockey. What ever happened to Al Morganti?

exactly - as the face of hockey (from a media stand-point) in the US - hockey-lovers should be embarrassed to have him. i certainly am. Barry Melrose does NOT represent the sport well to those the NHL is hoping to reach in the US.

certainly if Canada is going to loan a hockey-talk talent to the US, they can do better than Barry!

I don't particularly care that he looks like he got caught in a time warp and I don't really care who he supports politically. I barely even care that he seems not to be in absolutely love with my habs.

What offends me is that he commits the single most unforgivable sin in television - he is boring.

Somebody remind me the last time Melrose made a correct pick about anything.

It hasn't happened in my life time.

Is it any wonder he makes his playoff picks "subject to change?"

Yes, it happens.

ESPN got rid of everything in their hockey department except for a beat writer I believe who works for the Mag, ESPN is personality driven, they want personalities rather then coverage.

That said, Don Cherry's no better. At least Melrose doesn't have a little pursedog by his side like Blue.

I don't know what's worse - boring or offensive? These guys seem to be polar opposites, and we're stuck in the middle.

Does it worry anyone that half the late 90's ESPN NHL 'experts' moved to Hockeybuzz? Darren Pang, Bill Clement, etc.

ESPN got rid of everything in their hockey department except for a beat writer I believe who works for the Mag, ESPN is personality driven, they want personalities rather then coverage.

I think you're referring to EJ Hradek. He's okay. Not anything remarkable.

I don't particularly care that he looks like he got caught in a time warp and I don't really care who he supports politically. I barely even care that he seems not to be in absolutely love with my habs.

What offends me is that he commits the single most unforgivable sin in television - he is boring.

:lol: That was great. Now I remember some of his post game boring interviews after Kings games many moons ago. I forgot about this.

Edited by InsaneHABSfan