The Detroit Red Wings win the 2008 Stanley Cup

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say the whole game has been explosive so far, some great hockey being played. Obviously both teams are desperate for a win and it shows. I can see why the ratings in the US are up this year.

First game I've watched from start to finish since Game 3 of Colorado/Detoilet.

Samuelsson will net the winner - no doubt about it.

If Pittsburgh puts doubt in us all that Detroit will win this thing, it will be because of Sidney Crosby's OT goal tonight. (meh)

I got confused for a second, I thought you meant the high-sticking and I was about to argue. But yeah, both of those goaltending interference calls were pretty crappy.

Nice shot by Sykora too, Pittsburgh lives to see another day.

Wow. That's all I can say right now. It's 7:35 in the morning. Figure I might as well stay awake as long as possible and turn in early tonight instead. I haven't seen a game last this long live since Brett Hull made the NHL change the rules concerning players being in the crease.

At least this time I got to see the gamewinner. Back in 1999, I'd been up all night and when what turned out to be the last OT period was under way I badly had to go. Naturally Hull scored when I was in the john. :wacko:

If the Pens win the Cup, they gotta give the Conn Smythe to Fleury.

Malkin looks like a shell of his former self.

If the Pens win the Cup, they gotta give the Conn Smythe to Fleury.

Agreed, I think the questions can finally stop swirling around him in Pittsburgh. He's finally a top-tier goalie and is becoming what everyone expected of him.

Malkin looks like a shell of his former self.

Agreed as well. Malkin appears to be another player that doesn't respond well to pressure so far in his career. I don't know if you saw the 2006 Juniors tourney but he completely dissapeared in the gold medal game against Canada and hasn't been seen since Game 1 against Philly when he had 3 points. He's had 3 points since then (including his assist tonight) and is a -3 (he was -5 before tonights game)

I was astounded tonight by how poorly he played. I'm hoping he doesn't become another Thornton, I kind of like Malkin.

Agreed, I think the questions can finally stop swirling around him in Pittsburgh. He's finally a top-tier goalie and is becoming what everyone expected of him.

Does that mean that we don't have to hear anymore "don't rush Price look what happened to Fleury posts?"

Also, does anybody recall a team being 30 seconds away from a Stanley Cup and losing?

I cannot recall any circumstance in my lifetime. The closest I ever saw a team to a Cup without winning it would have

been Calgary in 2004 when they were 1 shot away in Game 6 OT and lost.

But in the 70s Bruins, Canadiens and Flyers all took care of their business, in the 80s the Isles, Oilers, Flames and Habs never suffered

that type of meltdown, in the 90s there was only 3 series that went past 6 games.

Anybody remember a situation like that before?

As the game went on you could tell Detroit was slowing down and getting tired. The younger Pittsburgh team had to prevail. It certainly entertaining for the first 20 min of overtime, but it seems that the game slowed with every minute from the 80th minute onwards.