Josh Gorges praised by Gainey

shortcat1

Gainey took the time to point out, in an interview yesterday, that Josh Gorges was a perfect example of why the team was so successful this year. Gorges's growth over the season (his ability to step in and take on the challenges) was crucial to the team's progress. I believe that Gainey sees in Gorges both an example of what generally happened but, from Gorges's perspective, that he WAS an example for his fellow players. Good for him... I'm glad.

Now, a reminder of some of what some of us are subjected to on a more or less consistent basis...

Here's just a few quotes from our habsworld contributors about Gorges...

"Gorges will be forgotten in a few years. Most likely a career minor leaguer."

"I will be happy if this kid can make an outlet pass."

I'm glad to see that Gainey had a better vision of the possibilities of this kid than many of us did.

I must add, though, that, while searching the posts about the trade, I didn't find too much to denigrate him like the posts above. I didn't search any other topics looking for comments about him during his adaptation period. Having been exposed to similar descriptives for a number of other players who were struggling, at one time or another, I expect that I will have found variations of things like 'bucket of pucks', 'pile of sticks', 'not worth shit', 'useless piece of crap', etc... all very uplifting, constructive comments.

I can only hope that those of us who make such comments never have to face them in their own real world. I hope that they will never be rejected, demeaned or, essentially, discarded like they so easily and quite so readily do to the persons on whom they are commenting. All I can say is 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated'. If you want to be categorized as 'not worth shit' or 'useless piece of crap' then feel free to do so to others too.

For my part, all I can say is 'Thank you Mr. Gainey for your mistakes and for your successes. At the very least, those of us who are realistic can see that you know a lot more about what a GM does than those who claim greater wisdom from their own comfortable, safe and free-of-responsibility-of-action universe.'

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

Ive been a fan ever since I saw this kid play.. not that Im saying: "me so smart".. I just love him out there. Another good player Gainey added to this organisation.

:hlogo:

Ive been a fan ever since I saw this kid play.. not that Im saying: "me so smart".. I just love him out there. Another good player Gainey added to this organisation.

for as long as I've 'known' you, m30, you've usually endeavoured to keep a 'let's see how this develops' perspective instead of jumping right in and dimissing the potential worth of a player or an organizational move.

imho, I praise and thank you for that point-of-view and contribution...

Edited by shortcat1

I'm still skeptical about his value in the long run.

I give him 3, maybe 4 years at most, on the bottom pairing.

Bouillion, possibly less, if this season is repeated.

That said, I love our D, very underappreciated, and I'm thankful for all Boy Gorges has done for us to date. He almost fills Rivet's boots by himself (and that second rounder, well, hopefully it surpasses everyone).

I think Gorges can very well turn out to be a very good mobile defenseman.

I also like how he stood up to that punkass darcy tycker.

So, there hasn't been many comments denigrating Gorges, but you decided to seize the opportunity to lecture on that topic anyway. :unsure:

Even the 2 quotes you did find aren't particularly offensive - more statements of opinion. You know, the purpose of a message board?

I don't disagree that sometimes we're too negative, but not in this case. Anyway, negativity just balances off those who are too positive. Like that SAKS-AVE guy, who actually thought we could finish in first! How embarrassing. Wait, what....?

I don't disagree that sometimes we're too negative, but not in this case. Anyway, negativity just balances off those who are too positive. Like that SAKS-AVE guy, who actually thought we could finish in first! How embarrassing. Wait, what....?

He did what!?

The nerve! Fire him at once!

This board will NOT stand for optimists!

So, there hasn't been many comments denigrating Gorges, but you decided to seize the opportunity to lecture on that topic anyway.

Even the 2 quotes you did find aren't particularly offensive - more statements of opinion. You know, the purpose of a message board?

Agreed!!

I'l admit that when we got Gorges and the 1st round pick for Rivet, I thought that the First tround pick was the important "player" in this trade. I didn't think that Gorges would last long. Tell you the truth, i didn't know much about him. I kept my mouth shut(on these boards) and I watched him progress all year long. the Kid has improved alot in the past 12 months and I can honestyly say that he doesn't make me nervous (brisebois anyone!!) when he's on the ice.

The Kid has done some good work. Let's just hope he keeps improving over the next few years!

I didn't think he'd be as good as he has been, but I didn't ever give up on him. Last year, he came into a new system, new conference, all while still just getting used to San Jose's system and conference. I knew there'd be an adjustment period. I thought it sucked that he was sitting so much early in the year, and just wanted to see what he'd do with a chance. I never thought I'd consider him our #4 defenseman, and that actually being a positive rather than a negative (as in, our D is so bad Gorges is our #4 d-man, rather than Gorges has been so good that he's become our #4 d-man).

So, there hasn't been many comments denigrating Gorges, but you decided to seize the opportunity to lecture on that topic anyway. :unsure:

You bet I 'seized the opportunity'.

It wasn't to lecture but to remind us that we need to be balanced and to consider refraining from bad mouthing, disparaging or knocking down someone as quickly as is sometimes done.

Putting down someone isn't a constructive negativity. For example, for one of your friends or parents to call you intelligent in a 'too positive' sense and for another friend or the other parent to call you an idiot in a 'too negative' sense doesn't add up to a balance.

You will still feel attacked and likely be hurt by that harsh comment.

Maybe I'm wrong in that 'you' wouldn't be affected by that scenario but, if you are human, like the rest of us, you will likely be impacted by the second comment.

Also, to castigate someone from the safety of anonymity or the assurance that he/she won't read or hear about it (ie: Gorges doesn't read what we write anyway) doesn't justify the act.

If all of this sounds like a lecture to you, I'm not going to apologize. We should always consider what we say or write and how these words affect others to whom they are directed and, believe it or not, how they affect those who hear or read them and, even more importantly, how they affect the ones who speak or write them.

I'm still skeptical about his value in the long run.

I give him 3, maybe 4 years at most, on the bottom pairing.

Bouillion, possibly less, if this season is repeated.

That said, I love our D, very underappreciated, and I'm thankful for all Boy Gorges has done for us to date. He almost fills Rivet's boots by himself (and that second rounder, well, hopefully it surpasses everyone).

His name is max paccioretty, he's actually a first rounder, and right now he looks very promising. He's huge. He's made the US junior team. He's over a point per game in his rookie season in the NCAA. He's made the all rookie team. Apparently has a very good attitude... That trade was big for the habs.

Can we please get a nickname for him?

Boy Gorges?

Gorges Porgies?

Gorgeous Gorges (from Snatch)?

Just not 'The Kid'. Anything but that. He's not even that young!

Ive been calling him Gorgeous Gorges, and Curious Gorges.

Can we please get a nickname for him?

Boy Gorges?

Gorges Porgies?

Gorgeous Gorges (from Snatch)?

Just not 'The Kid'. Anything but that. He's not even that young!

Curious Gorges? ;)

ADD: Sorry, I posted this before I read Habby2919's post.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

He did what!?

The nerve! Fire him at once!

This board will NOT stand for optimists!

That sure worked out good didn't it? Believe me though, when I first started that thread Ottawa was injured and we were 7 points back. I got thrashed for a few weeks and was told to keep my panties on. I took them off anyway only to find more pantyless habs fans running around and talking about something they call a Stanley Cup. What's a Stanley Cup?

Oh right.........That thing were going to win this year!!!!!!

I have been a fan of his all year.

He will be one of the reasons Bouillon is gone to start next season.

Only after the first few games so I can have your avatar control. Speaking of bets. Where is "One Sharp Marble"

Hey OSM!!!!!! The Flyers made it. I WIN!!!!!!

His name is max paccioretty, he's actually a first rounder, and right now he looks very promising. He's huge. He's made the US junior team. He's over a point per game in his rookie season in the NCAA. He's made the all rookie team. Apparently has a very good attitude... That trade was big for the habs.

Ah, thanks. I mixed up Huet this season. Wish we'd got a first for that ...

Meanwhile, Max Pac (or Patches, as he's also known) is indeed a great pick. I can't wait to see he and Latendresse on a line together. Preferably with a big hulking C between them. Our own Legion of Doom...

Gorges has been good all year. He was good with the Sharks as well. He is a good bottom pair D man and has stepped in to Komi's spot and Markov hasn't suffered at all.

The reason Bouillon will be gone isn't Gorges, Gorges is a RD, Bouillon is a LD. I think signing Emelin is a top priority in the off season. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but Emelin is a LD.

Streit i think takes the money and runs.

The interesting question to me right now is where does Komi come back in? Gorges and Markov have been great, Hamrlik with anyone is solid. Streit and O'Byrne has been solid as well. How many groups do you break up. Not to mention Bouillon may be back.

If Streit moves up front who sits? The third and 4th lines have been very good at checking and playing physical.

It will be interesting to see what GC does.

Gainey took the time to point out, in an interview yesterday, that Josh Gorges was a perfect example of why the team was so successful this year. Gorges's growth over the season (his ability to step in and take on the challenges) was crucial to the team's progress. I believe that Gainey sees in Gorges both an example of what generally happened but, from Gorges's perspective, that he WAS an example for his fellow players. Good for him... I'm glad.

Now, a reminder of some of what some of us are subjected to on a more or less consistent basis...

Here's just a few quotes from our habsworld contributors about Gorges...

"Gorges will be forgotten in a few years. Most likely a career minor leaguer."

"I will be happy if this kid can make an outlet pass."

I'm glad to see that Gainey had a better vision of the possibilities of this kid than many of us did.

I must add, though, that, while searching the posts about the trade, I didn't find too much to denigrate him like the posts above. I didn't search any other topics looking for comments about him during his adaptation period. Having been exposed to similar descriptives for a number of other players who were struggling, at one time or another, I expect that I will have found variations of things like 'bucket of pucks', 'pile of sticks', 'not worth shit', 'useless piece of crap', etc... all very uplifting, constructive comments.

I can only hope that those of us who make such comments never have to face them in their own real world. I hope that they will never be rejected, demeaned or, essentially, discarded like they so easily and quite so readily do to the persons on whom they are commenting. All I can say is 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated'. If you want to be categorized as 'not worth shit' or 'useless piece of crap' then feel free to do so to others too.

For my part, all I can say is 'Thank you Mr. Gainey for your mistakes and for your successes. At the very least, those of us who are realistic can see that you know a lot more about what a GM does than those who claim greater wisdom from their own comfortable, safe and free-of-responsibility-of-action universe.'

Take a look at the Initial Rivet for Gorges thread:

Rivet for Gorges

Almost everyone agreed that it was a great deal for the habs, and lots of people though Gorges had room to improve.

The only guy despising the deal was Spidey.

I loved the deal when it happened. I really hated Rivet as all I saw him do was make big defensive errors with us.

Remember though, it was because Rivet had sucked in 04, and was being very average (I'm being kind) in 06-07, when we traded him.

Many of us, myself included, would have accepted a bucket of pucks along with a 1st rounder. That Gorges was a bit taller and more lifelike than a bucket of pucks would obviously be cause for celebration.

i though he was going to be pretty good. When he was traded from SJ, he was playing over 15 minutes a game, and that was awesome for a 22 year old.