Josh Gorges praised by Gainey

shortcat1

Gorges has been one of my favourite players for about half the season now. I might even argue that overall, he's outplayed Hamrlik this year (and for a 10th the price). I didn't have much hope for him to ever be more than a 6th or 7th defenceman, but he's really become the ultimate third pairing d-man - and if he plays like this for another full season, there will be talks about him being a second pairing defenceman just like what happened to Streit.

What I like about him is that he is one of our few players who is great at winning battles along the boards. Also, when he gets hit, he comes right back up and never gets hurt. He is also one of the few guys who is willing to fight, and he has done it against agitators or against biger guys than him. When you add him to our Big 3, and throw in O'Byrne and Bouillon (plus Streit, Brisebois and even Dandenault as emergency options) we have really got the strongest all-round defence in the East.

All Gorges really needs to do is start putting up points but with Markov, Streit and Sergei hogging the points, that opportunity may never arise.

Alsoooooooo.... great post, shortcat. I always love to read one of your rants. :clap:

What a post!!!...not bad for a washed up flat footed old timer.[/b]

We could still use a guy like you around here!

If ever we had a hall of fame on this sight, you'd be at the top of my voting list...

Good to see you back.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must add, though, that, while searching the posts about the trade, I didn't find too much to denigrate him like the posts above. I didn't search any other topics looking for comments about him during his adaptation period. Having been exposed to similar descriptives for a number of other players who were struggling, at one time or another, I expect that I will have found variations of things like 'bucket of pucks', 'pile of sticks', 'not worth shit', 'useless piece of crap', etc... all very uplifting, constructive comments.

I can only hope that those of us who make such comments never have to face them in their own real world. I hope that they will never be rejected, demeaned or, essentially, discarded like they so easily and quite so readily do to the persons on whom they are commenting. All I can say is 'treat others the way you'd like to be treated'. If you want to be categorized as 'not worth shit' or 'useless piece of crap' then feel free to do so to others too.

What is this, an after school special?

But yeah, Gorges has improved significantly this year, he's probably the guy with the biggest difference between how he plays now and how he was playing in October/November. Back then, I remember Gorges making about one terrible f*ck up per game, but by the new year he had phased those out of his play. Now he's a tough, reliable defenseman, who plays hard - and smart - and stands up for his teammates. He's a big part of our team now.

Plus there's something about the way he talks in post-game interviews that's funny, like he's doing an impression of someone else.

Take a look at the Initial Rivet for Gorges thread:

Rivet for Gorges

Almost everyone agreed that it was a great deal for the habs, and lots of people though Gorges had room to improve.

The only guy despising the deal was Spidey.

I loved the deal when it happened. I really hated Rivet as all I saw him do was make big defensive errors with us.

Yeah, I remember being ecstatic that we got a prospect and a FIRST ROUND PICK for ole cement legs Rivet (although I wasn't a member of this board at the time).

Spidey despising the deal: a sure sign that it would be a success. :lol:

Just fooling around, Spidey.

Can we please get a nickname for him?

Boy Gorges?

Gorges Porgies?

Gorgeous Gorges (from Snatch)?

Just not 'The Kid'. Anything but that. He's not even that young!

I call him Joshy Boy!!! :clap:

In the third period yesterday he blocked consecutive shots, one off his side from Chara and then another off his inner foot. I just love wathcing guys sacrifice for the team.

In the third period yesterday he blocked consecutive shots, one off his side from Chara and then another off his inner foot. I just love wathcing guys sacrifice for the team.

I thought he was great last night as well

I like Gorges, but I can't understand why he doesn't get more points. I mean, he is fast, has good vision. Now that he is a regular, I think that he should do more offensively. I guess that it's next step for him.

I like Gorges, but I can't understand why he doesn't get more points. I mean, he is fast, has good vision. Now that he is a regular, I think that he should do more offensively. I guess that it's next step for him.

Well he has been successful because he has kept things simple and I think he will get more confident later on but for the rest of the playoffs simple play is best.

Cear the puck off the boards

PLay the body

Take the hit to make the pass

Get in shooting lanes

I really have great hopes for Josh. He gets chances to get goals every-so-often but thats not really his game, he is more of a stay at home Dman.

I also loved it when he blocked those shots JMMR :clap:

Give him a little time, he'll get there. It took Markov a bunch of years before he started getting a steady stream of points.

It seems to me that a lot of the success :hlogo: have been having this year has something to do with other teams finding it difficult to manage a team with so many anonymous players who just work hard and get the job done. There is no answer to the big questions, "who needs to be shut down?" or "who do you not want to take on?"

Josh Gorges has fitted nicely into the work ethic that has carried the Habs to a conference title and will take them further into the playoffs, then the ultimate reward of the Mug, if not this season then some time in the near future. He may never achieve All Star status but that does not make him unworthy of the Stanley Cup ring he will be sporting before too long.

Dear Josh, i've been bashing on you a lot of times this early season, now i'd like to take all these comments back and apologize.

You steped your game up in a way thay BLOWS ME OFF !!!

You represent my #1 surprise of the season and now make Gainey look like a genius with this trade !

GO GORGES GO

Dear Josh, i've been bashing on you a lot of times this early season, now i'd like to take all these comments back and apologize.

You steped your game up in a way thay BLOWS ME OFF !!!

You represent my #1 surprise of the season and now make Gainey look like a genius with this trade !

GO GORGES GO

It think you mean "away" not "off" :lol: