Game Thread | Canadiens de Montréal vs Boston Bruins | 04/19/08

KoZed

I agree with you, but I also believe that if that was Huet in net, you would have blamed it on him. :lol:

This lost (like several this season) is clearly due to a complete defensive breakdown. When a team plays solid defensively, Huet or Price can look great. When a team plays like crap, it is hard for any goalie to consistently bail them out.

This team needs to wake up and put in more effort then the Bruins. If Price gives up a soft goal, then they need to work harder. They owe him that much by now.

I wouldn't blame it on Huet anymore than Price.

Price was a big reason they lost Game 5. The second bad goal was inconsequential. But his turnover gave the Bruins life.

There is no doubt about that.

Huet has been great in the last 2 games for Washington, but was fairly average in the first 3 games.

It is obvious that the team is not performing well. They are seemingly getting worse every game. I thought Price was

strong last game. If he makes a miraculous save maybe he steals one. But it was hardly his fault.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and how was Huet in that must-win, last game of the season last year against Toronto? I don't think we're gonna win tomorrow, but I'd rather have Price in nets for that game than Huet (much as I admire Huet's class act).

- Jack

Yeah, and how was Huet in that must-win, last game of the season last year against Toronto? I don't think we're gonna win tomorrow, but I'd rather have Price in nets for that game than Huet (much as I admire Huet's class act).

- Jack

What a joke.. he came back from an injury and struggled. It was the coaches decision to put him in after being out so long. Carbo should have played Halak for that game. Rookie coach mistake.

Anyway, it is not a Price versus Huet debate. My point was simple. Neither of them can save a team that is going to play the way the habs have the last few games. They may steal one or two, but not 4 games. Price has already stolen two for them, they shouldn't be relying on him to steal the series on his own.

What a joke.. he came back from an injury and struggled. It was the coaches decision to put him in after being out so long. Carbo should have played Halak for that game. Rookie coach mistake.

Anyway, it is not a Price versus Huet debate. My point was simple. Neither of them can save a team that is going to play the way the habs have the last few games. They may steal one or two, but not 4 games. Price has already stolen two for them, they shouldn't be relying on him to steal the series on his own.

I agree. I don't blame Huet for the last game of the year. Halak earned that start and it put Huet in a tough situation.

As for Huet saving the day last game, I don't think Roy in 1993 would have won that game.

Roy arguably the greatest goalie of all time had plenty of stinkers in his career. Anybody recall him blowing a Neely slapshot

from outside the blueline in Game 7? It was the 2nd goal in a 2-1 final.

The simple fact is that with each game the Bruins are outchancing the Habs. They had at least 10-15 glorious opportunities

on Saturday, the Habs had 5-6 and scored on 4.

What does it say for a team when they have an over reliance on a 20 year old kid?

Edited by Wamsley01

For people who want to blame Carbo.. remember, he is a coach, not a surgeon. It is unrealistic to expect him to sew a pair of balls on some of these players. :)

:clap:

Have two sentences ever won a Pulitzer Prize?

We all have high hopes for the team that finished first in the East at playoff time, but this "collapse" should be, if nothing else, expected.

Montreal has the most young/rookie players on the roster of any playoff team and the experience /knowledge is just not there yet. Ottawa went through learning how to win in the playoffs and it gave Leafs fans something to gloat about for years. The Penguins did it last year after being the best team in the second half (29-8-4) and were tossed in 5 games by the Sens. This is the way things work and always has.

Imagine the wake up call for the rookies on the team that have been groomed for 82 games by the NHL on what is and isn't a penalty. S.Kostitsyn usually skates around with the puck in the offensive zone and after 2-3 very mild hook/slashes gets a penalty called on the other team. Now he skates towards the net gets hacked slashed and then tackled with no calls and then is trapped in the other end while a rush is going the other way. The NHL has made it this way with two very different sets of rules for each season, but that is what it is and you have to find ways around it.

Maybe the young guys have played enough games to figure that out now and will start rolling; or maybe they clean out thier lockers until next year. Pittsburgh only had 5 games last season and by the time they got the drift, it was over for another season.

Young players need to learn what it takes to win in the post season. Period

We all have high hopes for the team that finished first in the East at playoff time, but this "collapse" should be, if nothing else, expected.

Montreal has the most young/rookie players on the roster of any playoff team and the experience /knowledge is just not there yet. Ottawa went through learning how to win in the playoffs and it gave Leafs fans something to gloat about for years. The Penguins did it last year after being the best team in the second half (29-8-4) and were tossed in 5 games by the Sens. This is the way things work and always has.

Imagine the wake up call for the rookies on the team that have been groomed for 82 games by the NHL on what is and isn't a penalty. S.Kostitsyn usually skates around with the puck in the offensive zone and after 2-3 very mild hook/slashes gets a penalty called on the other team. Now he skates towards the net gets hacked slashed and then tackled with no calls and then is trapped in the other end while a rush is going the other way. The NHL has made it this way with two very different sets of rules for each season, but that is what it is and you have to find ways around it.

Maybe the young guys have played enough games to figure that out now and will start rolling; or maybe they clean out thier lockers until next year. Pittsburgh only had 5 games last season and by the time they got the drift, it was over for another season.

Young players need to learn what it takes to win in the post season. Period

The hope was that the Bruins were an opponent that they could learn on the fly from. Learn some of those lessons by playing a team

you own and still win a round. They still could tonight.

Ya Gotta Believe!

Yep, i love the optimism, unfortunately i don't share in it, it's all over but the crying. I also picked them out of the playoffs so i am wrong alot too. So let's hope i am again. The bottom line is they already had 2 chances to close them out and as the old saying goes "when the going gets tough, the habs fold like a cheap lawn chair".

The problems the Habs face is simple, the Bruins are bigger, tougher and want it more then the habs. The last 2 games in the third period pretty much sums that up.

For the habs to win they need to do alor of things much better.

Kovalev, the playoffs have started, are you aware of that.

Defensive zone coverage has been pathetic, turnovers, losing all the the battles, they are standing around like deer caught in headlights.

Get the puck deep, stop the blue line turnovers.

Streit? I have no idea why he is in the linup, lazy penalties, gives up breakaways on the point and is a complete non factor. Put Lats back in.

Character and leadership issues have once again become a big issue. If it wasn't for the smoke line and Price it might be over now for the Bruins.

So everyone should enjoy game 7, and i really hope i'm wrong.

Roy arguably the greatest goalie of all time had plenty of stinkers in his career. Anybody recall him blowing a Neely slapshot

from outside the blueline in Game 7? It was the 2nd goal in a 2-1 final.

I remember it. Roy lost more game 7's than he won. Check his record. While he certainly was a great goalie, many tend to over-rate him...

- Jack

I remember it. Roy lost more game 7's than he won. Check his record. While he certainly was a great goalie, many tend to over-rate him...

- Jack

What about the 7-0 loss to Detroit.