Habs re-signed Sundstrom

puck7x

thats the word on other boards from the Swedes, a 2 year deal.

Its a surprise to me, I cant say I'm happy, but at least we arent paying him 2 million a year anymore. Its the not the worst thing in the world to sign him.

If Sunny can stay Healthy, he is usually a great role player for the habs. I noticed this year he would get injured, and then when he finally got back into the line up, he was rusty, and it would take him a week to 5 games to get back into the system, and would finaly start to get back on the score sheet again. I figure he will be playing a role on the 4th line mostly this year, unless he makes an impact in training camp/beginning of the season.

We need to get bigger & tougher, or at least make some room for Hossa, Higgins, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn, Plekanec... who might ALL be ready by the time the NHL resumes which could be a full year from now.

Signing a small/soft player for TWO years at any price makes no sense whatsoever.

This is a terrible signing, I hope the reports are wrong... what the hell are they thinking.

If we signed him for under a million, I think this is a good move. He is an excellent defensive forward who helps a lot on the PK. And if we got him for under a mill, we still may very well give a prospect and let Sunny be a healthy scratch at times.

You are all forgetting two important things: 1. predicting the performance of rookies is an inexact science and 2. injuries.

Sundstrum is a solid, defensively responsible veteran who can play on the 3rd or 4th line (or even the second in a pinch) and who gives us important depth. Another good move by BG. Another good sign is the Sunny reportedly turned down more money elsewhere because he likes Montreal --- at last the universe is starting to get back to its proper order.

Originally posted by PMAC

You are all forgetting two important things: 1. predicting the performance of rookies is an inexact science and 2. injuries.

Bingo. Especially on point one. Making room for rookies sounds sensible, but when you think about it, there's no telling how a player will do in the big leagues. Sure they'd have no trouble filling a hole if a rookie bombs with Sunny gone, but nothing wrong with having him there.

If they have to, they'll deal him later.

At least Gainey signed SOMEBODY at last.

I don't like this at all. According to rds.ca it's a two year deal worth $3 million. 8 goals, 12 assists in 66 games. We need either scoring, size, or grit, or even youth. Sundstrom brings us none of this. I was really hoping we would get rid of him.

He really isn't that bad. He didn't get a lot of minutes because he really is in Julien's doghouse. He is a good 4th liner who could put the puck in the net from time to time, and he has some good speed. I think he is a tad overpaid, but with him and Begin on line four, we could have a really irritating line for opponents.

Those who spoke of the injury/prospect thing... great pts. We need Sunny there to have a back up. I mean, like some of you may have stated.... even if we dont need him, we can have him for backup incase sumone goes down with injury. That is something i believe Gainey has worked on, is to have a roster which contains a backup of role players incase an injury occurs, so that the team is not left in shambles.

in the past, we would get an injury or 2 to some core players, and the team would b forced to look to some very inexperienced prospects... but Bob Gainey has built up a sturdy foundation for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Some suggest that Sundstrom may have a debatable usefullness within the CH at the start of the next season and even more so if next season would be in "2" years.

On the other hand, a 1.25 millions two year's signed player the like of Sundstrom will be extremelly easy to move, by himself or within a package, openning options that the CH would'nt have had they just let go of him.

Dont forget that the CH is ranked as the no.1 team in the NHL for its prospect's depht,...as for the many teams living at the opposite end of the ranking scale, Sundstrom and its lowered contract will represent excellent value.

It seems a wise move by Bob, "une police d'assurance" and, some additionnal pressure on the rising prospects to use some of their time in the off-season to work on their weaknesses to get themselves better player.

I like it, Dackell Juneau Perreault and Dowd are gone, we need some depth.

Also, don't forget we got through last year without so many injuries (nothing like the year before), that may not be the case next season (knocks on wood).

Oh come on....nobody say negative crap about Sundstrom. Okay, he has his flaws, but no team has a wayne gretzky in all of their players. He's a solid 3rd liner, and great on the penalty kill. We re-signed him for not alot of money, it was a good deal. I like the guy, and he helps out but some people don't notice it.

I like Sundstrom. I overheard one time on RDS (I don't know who was talking, I think it was Julien) that Sunny was the type of player you could depend on because he can get the job done. Not to mention he can skate pretty well and kills penalties.

My guess is he'll play on the third line (assuming kovalev is signed). The line should look like something like this Bulis-Bonk-Sundtrom/Begin.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Tony

I like Sundstrom. I overheard one time on RDS (I don't know who was talking, I think it was Julien) that Sunny was the type of player you could depend on because he can get the job done.

We sure saw that when he couldn't get the puck out and it cost us the game vs. Tampa in the playoffs.

With the number of UFAs available, we could have found an equally solid defensive player who had more size & grit... which is what this team needs badly.

In that sense it was a bad signing, a lost opportunity to address the team's lack of size & grit.

That doesn't mean Sunny is a bad player... he's a serviceable vet, nothing special but a good 2-way player.

We'll see if that Bulis-Bonk-Sundstrom line pans out.

I think I read on RDS this morning that Marcel Hossa might crack the line up for next season. If Kovalev signs and top 2 scoring lines are the same, it would be interesting to see Bulis-Bonk-Hossa line. Hossa isn't gritty but it adds a more offensive touch to it.

I bet Sundström could get as many points as zednik have this far in a season on the first line with koivu.

Zednik have had a 50+ season and a 30+ goals... Is that really that great?

Originally posted by Tony

I think I read on RDS this morning that Marcel Hossa might crack the line up for next season. If Kovalev signs and top 2 scoring lines are the same, it would be interesting to see Bulis-Bonk-Hossa line. Hossa isn't gritty but it adds a more offensive touch to it.

I am almost certain that Hossa must crack the lineup, otherwise he has to clear waivers to return to the AHL, the same situation we had with Ribeiro last season. I bet my money that he will play with Ribs and Ryder.

Tony,

As I understand it, Hossa as done its limit as a signed LNH player playing in the AHL. Only a contract clause stipulating it as a "two way" ( Ribeiro last year or Dagenais this year ) can protect a team from clearing weaver when sending a player "down", but Hossa is not one of them.

I like to see Hossa as a versatile player with good size (6'2", 213lbs), surprising speed, great puck protection, passing skills and more than a goog finishing touch.

Will Julien ask him to stifle opposing's team best trios with Bonk and Bulis ?

I could see that happening, anyway, a little more than dazzlin it with Ribeiro and Ryder in the offensive zone as I think Perezhogin will get that role.