Fabian Brunnstrom

HabsWEST

TSN article from darren Dreger:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=234681

".....Sources say Other teams in the mix include the Dallas Stars, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators with Sens general manager Bryan Murray recently reaching out in hopes of making a late impression.

Brunnstrom, a 6'1", 210 lbs forward possesses explosive speed, similar to that of Pittsburgh's Marian Hossa. He scored 9 goals and 28 assists in 54 games as a rookie with Farjestaed in the Swedish Elite League....."

would Gainey pay 2 plus million for this FA prospect, late bloomer??

Especially if habs lose tomorrow, should Fabian be a priority signing, or given experience with Lahti experiment , be too high a risk..

???

TSN article from darren Dreger:

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/darren_dreger/?id=234681

".....Sources say Other teams in the mix include the Dallas Stars, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators with Sens general manager Bryan Murray recently reaching out in hopes of making a late impression.

Brunnstrom, a 6'1", 210 lbs forward possesses explosive speed, similar to that of Pittsburgh's Marian Hossa. He scored 9 goals and 28 assists in 54 games as a rookie with Farjestaed in the Swedish Elite League....."

would Gainey pay 2 plus million for this FA prospect, late bloomer??

Especially if habs lose tomorrow, should Fabian be a priority signing, or given experience with Lahti experiment , be too high a risk..

???

Well, the might Maple Leafs are in that negotiation. What chance could we possibly have?

If he's going to cost 2 million on a one-way contract, I wouldn't be too interested, but if he'd sign at something similar to what Lahti took, I would be willing to take a risk on him. We don't have much to lose.

Entry level rules still apply to him, so his salary would be capped at $850,000 a year, like Lahti got. He's looking for an opportunity to crack a significant roster spot quickly (presumably to cash in quickly on his next contract), so I don't know if that's a possibility here.

I keep thinking of Eero Somervuari, though. :huh:

I have seen Brunnström this season in Sweden and I don't get they hype at all. Sure he's a solid Elitserie-player but counting on him as a top six forward in the NHL?!

No way. He's nowhere near that good.

There's a lot better players in Sweden than Brunnström. Remember Islanders Matthias Weinhandl and Anaheims Tony Mårtensson? Both born in the 80's and was dominating in Elitserien yet there's no hype with them since they allready got their shot at the NHL.

Canadiens former danish prospect Kim Staal had 10 points in 15 games during the playoffs.

Fabian Brunnström is nowhere near.

I would agree that Brunnstrom, by looking at his stats and his play, is certainly being overhyped in a sense. However there is a difference and for Brunnstrom that would be the skills he brings to the table and more importantly, his age. The intangibles to be an NHL player. He certainly has tremendous speed and decent hands and there's definitely a reason why so many NHL teams have expressed interest in him including the Detroit Red Wings. He's young and can certainly continue to develop.

Could it be that they'd have to give up nothing to get him? Signing him to an entry level deal, he's expected to get a contract worth up to approximately 2 million which can't hurt that much. All entry level deals are two-way contracts so if he does indeed bust, the team would just send him down and he wouldn't count against the cap. Certainly worth the risk to add a potential scoring line player. IMO, he'll be a 2nd liner if he indeed can stick on an NHL team's main club.

So far I think it's quite obvious J.P. Barry and Brunnstrom are waiting on Mike Gillis to tender them an offer and if it's in the same league as Nonis's offer and he can guarentee the same things Nonis originally did, it looks like Fabian is destined for Vancouver and for us, it's certainly worth the risk. Whether Gillis is willing is another story however. We'll have to wait and see where he goes and whether he actually turns into a player.

I have seen Brunnström this season in Sweden and I don't get they hype at all. Sure he's a solid Elitserie-player but counting on him as a top six forward in the NHL?!

There's a lot better players in Sweden than Brunnström. Remember Islanders Matthias Weinhandl and Anaheims Tony Mårtensson? Both born in the 80's and was dominating in Elitserien yet there's no hype with them since they allready got their shot at the NHL.

Canadiens former danish prospect Kim Staal had 10 points in 15 games during the playoffs.

Have to agree.

Every year there is one or 2 euro FA's that people start talking about. Name one of these late bloomers in the nhl? If you can, is he a top seed player? Maybe Huet? Where was he prior to LA? Not sure.

Not buying into it, we are fine as is. If he comes cheap to bolster Hmailton next year, great.

No doubt there's good hockey players in Europe and many has been over looked in the past.

Henrik Zetterberg was a late bloomer. I don't think Daniel Alfredsson was recognized by scouts either. Devils Johnny Oduya is another example.

Name one late bloomer?

Johan Franzen with the Red Wings.

So no need for a 2nd Lahti project.

But why is there such a hype about this dude? 2 million for a shot into the dark? No thx.

• 2 weeks later...
So no need for a 2nd Lahti project.

But why is there such a hype about this dude? 2 million for a shot into the dark? No thx.

Don't know who is going to sign him, but if Gainey does I am quite confident he will an excellent player. Gainey would not sign a bad player.

I hope we get him but i think he will sign with the Wings. He has always been a wings fan so that may make him put pen to paper.

The wings are pretty stacked in the top 4 and even 6, at least he would have a chance to crack our line-up, if he's good. I know nothing about him except what I've read in the media. There must be a bunch of potential since so many teams are courting him. It would be nice to get a star type player on our team, here's hoping to a late blooming come out of nowhere free signing this summer. Detroit alaways seems to find these gems and just on the fact they are front runners in obtaining him is exciting that he is considering The Habs.

I doubt we'll be mucking it up with UFA's this year, not too much available......we can afford this signing and remember kids......

Who will be wearing Red, White and Blue next summer? We need to keep cap space for that.

Can he play a gritty/phsyical game too? We DON'T need another finesse guy who disappears when the other teams play physical. Will he hustle hard, and go after loose pucks?

Look at Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin, all go to guys, that aren't afraid to "rough it up" and battle for the puck and battle in the corners.

I caught an interview with Doug Maclean, the ex Blue Jacket GM. For what it's worth, he wasn't overly enthused about Brunnstrom. He thought it was more a case of pressure to find someone, anyone out there that can make a difference for interested teams. There's talk that if signed, he may even need time in the minors.

I caught an interview with Doug Maclean, the ex Blue Jacket GM. For what it's worth, he wasn't overly enthused about Brunnstrom. He thought it was more a case of pressure to find someone, anyone out there that can make a difference for interested teams. There's talk that if signed, he may even need time in the minors.

the same guy that could bring the jackets to a playoffs appearance ??

If the guy is willing to start in the ahl, then why not ??

You guys seriously want another god damn euro?

And what is up with this hype? It is like he is the next superstar when he only scored 9 goals. Pathetic.

whats your problem with euros ?? they all stink ??

maybe you should check at montreal north americans before you post stupid racist comments like that ??

Price: sucked like hell in all but 3-4 games this post season.

higgins: no guts no glory

komisarek: I wish somebody have told him playoffs were started

latendresse, lapierre and dandenault: all minus 5 clubs worst.

Ryder: lazyiest ass in a f***ing long while.

I agree that some europeans shouldve played better but stop looking at them with your cherry glasses.

When Ryan Rishaug asked Brunnstrom what his immediate NHL impact would be, Fabian said he wasn't sure if he was ready for the NHL yet.

lol... seems like a nice guy, but maybe he shouldn't be so honest.

James Duthie says Montreal, Toronto, Dallas and Detroit (with Anaheim as an honourable mention) are the final options.

I get the feeling he'd start out on the farm, and we'd see from there. Probably isn't much different from Lahti.

When Ryan Rishaug asked Brunnstrom what his immediate NHL impact would be, Fabian said he wasn't sure if he was ready for the NHL yet.

lol... seems like a nice guy, but maybe he shouldn't be so honest.

James Duthie says Montreal, Toronto, Dallas and Detroit (with Anaheim as an honourable mention) are the final options.

I get the feeling he'd start out on the farm, and we'd see from there. Probably isn't much different from Lahti.

I think duthie mentionned TO just to be polite to his audiance. honestly, if him a kid that can choose were to play i'm not playing for a sinking ship.

If I'm the kid, mtl, detroit and dallas sound great.

maybe when he sees our sexy montrealerettes he will decide to jump in.

well I'm sure the girls are nice in hamilton too :unsure:

whats your problem with euros ?? they all stink ??

maybe you should check at montreal north americans before you post stupid racist comments like that ??

Price: sucked like hell in all but 3-4 games this post season.

higgins: no guts no glory

komisarek: I wish somebody have told him playoffs were started

latendresse, lapierre and dandenault: all minus 5 clubs worst.

Ryder: lazyiest ass in a f***ing long while.

I agree that some europeans shouldve played better but stop looking at them with your cherry glasses.

Sorry too piss you off but I have an opinion. I am not racist to Euro's. I just think that if your team is filled with them, then you won't go far. I think you need tough talented grinders (Iginla, Morrow, Lecavilier, those kinda guys are fearless and they know what it takes to win).

It's just my opinion that a team with majority Euro's will not succeed, and a lot of people agree with that.

Sorry too piss you off but I have an opinion. I am not racist to Euro's. I just think that if your team is filled with them, then you won't go far. I think you need tough talented grinders (Iginla, Morrow, Lecavilier, those kinda guys are fearless and they know what it takes to win).

It's just my opinion that a team with majority Euro's will not succeed, and a lot of people agree with that.

maybe you shouldn't use the word goddamned when you refer to any players..its opnly acceptable to maple leafs and referees ! :lol:

I dont completely disagree with you but the north americans on the team didn'T show me much except for the grinders.

just for the records, the hurricanes have barely no europeans and they choked...

The Red Wings have 15 "Euro's" on their active roster, Montreal has only 11..............

I somehow wish they win so we can get the european-captains-have-never-won-the cup out of the culture of the game.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I somehow wish they win so we can get the european-captains-have-never-won-the cup out of the culture of the game.

Me too