Saku Koivu's importance to this team

REV-G

I think many people have underestimated how important Saku Koivu is to our team. To me, Higgins was almost invisible in the games that Koivu missed. But as soon as Koivu was back it seemed that Higgins came alive and scored and made things happen. He was a threat.

Koivu seemed like a warrior. He skated hard, hit, blocked shots, made plays and he made Chara not just focus on Kovalev. In the two games that Koivu played in against Boston he had 3 assists, 0 penalties and a plus 3 rating. Personally, I don't know if we would have won game 7 without him, because with him we had two dangerous lines that could score anytime. I think he proved how important a part of this team he really is. Even though Kovalev scores more, I think Koivu is the true leader on this team.

Carbonneau's line changes turned out to be huge and paid off big time. The Kots brothers were amazing with Plekanic between them. But with Koivu playing the way he did, the scoring chances were spread out and that made it difficult for Boston to deal with.

I think Koivu is one of those quiet hero's who gives and sacrifices and is indispensible to any team, but especially ours right now. I'll be fun to see how those two lines do against Philly. Montreal in 6!

Edited by REV-G

Great point !!

Koivu's is as important to montreal as Alfredson is to Ottawa. He brings calm, grit, talent and work ethic. I sometimes question his leadership during the seaon but I will never doubt it come playoff time.

They are 1 and 1 with him this year. The Impact was Higgins playing out of position. If Grabovski had shown anything he may have teken the spot keeping hiigins and SK on the wings.

This year they did much better without him in the lineup then in the past.

The team is no question better when he plays, but they can still win without him.

I think Koivu proved his worth last series. There are some people who start demanding that he be run out of town whenever he doesn't live up to their expectations. But he's shown time and time again that the Montreal Canadiens are simply a much better team with him than they are without him.

Koivu is one of those players that you can love and hate. Sometimes he plays amazing but at other times he looks stupid out there. He does bring alot of leadership though.

Koivu is one of those players that you can love and hate. Sometimes he plays amazing but at other times he looks stupid out there. He does bring alot of leadership though.

He rarely ever looks stupid out there.

Yes sometimes he takes penalty's but looks stupid is a completely different boat.

Yes sometimes he takes penalty's but looks stupid is a completely different boat.

When I read that I was thinking stupid? What the hell are you talking about? Then you wrote exactly what I was thinking.

If we were to round up all the Koivu related thread titles this year what a bunch of idiots everyone would sound like especially with this one being the last one. :lol: :puke: :lol:

Don't worry girls it's just a matter of time before you start bashing again.

GoKOIVUGo!!!!!!!!!

When i said stupid i meant stupid with the puck. He will try to deke when he is just to small to be able to pull a kovalev. Maybe it was a little overboard to say stupid but he sometimes makes bad decisions with the puck.

Sergei Kostitsyn took over for him in that regard. I hope he snaps out of it.

In his defense a lot of those calls were B.S. Very good sells by the B's. It bums me out for S.K and the NHL in general but I don't really fault him on at least 60% of his last penalties.

The team is no question better when he plays, but they can still win without him.

That's really what it all comes down to. Last time, we depended on him. Now, if he got Justin Williamsed it would hurt our chances but we would still have a good chance of winning the series. He's just another one of the guys now, yet with more experience than Plekanec, Higgins and Andrei (when will see this line again? Sergei-Koivu-Kovalev, Higgins-Plekanec-Andrei).

Sergei Kostitsyn took over for him in that regard. I hope he snaps out of it.

I think that's a pretty classless picture you put up. You totally disrespected Briere, his girlfriend and the Kots brothers. Keep your discussion to hockey related matters. Even hockey players have boundaries they all abide by and you just blew it big time. I think you should be banned from this site for posting that kind of garbage.

I think that's a pretty classless picture you put up. You totally disrespected Briere, his girlfriend and the Kots brothers. Keep your discussion to hockey related matters. Even hockey players have boundaries they all abide by and you just blew it big time. I think you should be banned from this site for posting that kind of garbage.

Chill dude! No need to get all worked up. It was a joke that Brière will most likely never see.

Who cares if he disrespected Briere. He is having a little fun and as Don Cherry would say adding a little levity to the situation.

Can somebody put a link to the pic put up of Briere? I have no idea what you are referring to here. (but I'm interested ^_^ )

His avatar was a girl in bed with two guys. An arrow labeled the girl as Briere's girlfriend and arrows labeled the guys as the Kostitsyns.

His avatar was a girl in bed with two guys. An arrow labeled the girl as Briere's girlfriend and arrows labeled the guys as the Kostitsyns.

Yup, the authoritas have seen to it that the signature is changed. But the meaning is still there

Sorry you feel that way Rev-G, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Now, has anyone seen Briere's wikipedia page? I went to check it out, and it turns out there are others who don't really like Briere either (see the first sentence).

I was going to check up on his relationship stats and discovered he was married, which would completely legitimize (if not pardon) the original signature, if the pictured woman was one of his extra-marital affairs, and the Kostitsyns were part of a religion that practiced polyandry.

But who am I to go judging? This isn't Iran or China, and I'm not going to demand the stick figures to put on clothes. After all, they're just friends!

Back to Saku: is his foot totally recovered, or has he always been so slow? Speed will win us this series, but if his biggest weapon is lost, we'll be in big trouble