Price Snubbed for Calder Nomination

lazy26

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=235570&amp...os=topStory_nhl

I'm ok with Kane and Backstrom being nominated, but Toews? Had he played the full season, I would have agreed.

Oh well, Conn Smythe trumps Calder any day.

I agree to a degree on Toews, but while he was in the lineup for the Hawks, they were a completely different team. He's been just amazing and a focal point in why they had that late season playoff push. ;)

Edited by Captain_Stealth

The same argument used against Toews is the same one that was surely used against Price - games played. Price only played 41 games, and only like 12 as the #1 guy. Yes, he played wonderfully once named the starter, but his stats were somewhat pedestrian before that. Before the All-Star break, his SV% was a modest .907 and his GAA was a whopping 2.90. That's half a season with numbers that don't make a Calder candidate.

This isn't Carey Price bashing, it's simply explaining why he wasn't named a finalist. He he played more games like he did in March and April, then he surely would have been a finalist.

My problem with Toews is this: if he is in the running in spite of not having as many games played as the other potential nominees, then why the hell isn't Price a nominee....because the only criteria that you could eliminate Price on is the lower number of games played. By including Toews, they've made it absolutely ridiculous for Price not to be nominated. Not that I'm surprised...NHL bastards.

I agree to a degree on Toews, but while he was in the lineup for the Hawks, they were a completely different team. He's been just amazing and a focal point in why they had that late season playoff push. ;)

Definitely. I think Toews is better than Kane or Backstrom, but they both had better seasons than Toews. And although Toews was 3rd in scoring, his nomination means (to me) that they are looking for more than just season statistics, and I truly think Carey should have been considered before him. Granted, Price's stats aren't the best, but the way he closed off the season is more indicative to what he can really do when given the starter's role.

Don Cherry actually said it best *shudders* when he said that the other nominees are great players, but Carey is a superstar.

The same argument used against Toews is the same one that was surely used against Price - games played. Price only played 41 games, and only like 12 as the #1 guy. Yes, he played wonderfully once named the starter, but his stats were somewhat pedestrian before that. Before the All-Star break, his SV% was a modest .907 and his GAA was a whopping 2.90. That's 19 of his games with numbers that don't make a Calder candidate.

This isn't Carey Price bashing, it's simply explaining why he wasn't named a finalist. He he played more games like he did in March and April, then he surely would have been a finalist.

His stats weren't great before the break...but his overall numbers were good enough for him to get a mention IMO. A rookie goaltender playing in the hardest city in the NHL for a goaltender to play in should have gotten some respect for winning the games he won.

Granted, Price's stats aren't the best, but the way he closed off the season is more indicative to what he can really do when given the starter's role.

Don Cherry actually said it best *shudders* when he said that the other nominees are great players, but Carey is a superstar.

The thing is, they can't just base the award off of his March and April numbers. Carey may very well become a superstar, but he came in as a great #1 a bit too late in the season to be considered for the award. It would be tough to give an award to a goalie who played only half his team's games.

In all fairness I feel thatthe three nominees were th three best for the season. despite missing many games, toews still finished with the most goals amongs Rookies...He's my pick to win it all.

in a weaker year, price would've been nominated. however with theKanes, muellers backstoms, hedstroms, cogliano, gagner, toews...

just don't be too pissed off Habs fans, in 10-15 years it'll be no contest on who is the best player among those.

The thing is, they can't just base the award off of his March and April numbers. Carey may very well become a superstar, but he came in as a great #1 a bit too late in the season to be considered for the award. It would be tough to give an award to a goalie who played only half his team's games.

Kiprsuoff got nominated for the Vezina in 2003-04 playing in less games than Price did this year.

Kiprsuoff got nominated for the Vezina in 2003-04 playing in less games than Price did this year.

That's true, but his numbers were AMAZING! 1.70 GAA is a modern day record, I believe. Plus, the next two candidates who played at least 2/3 of their team's games were Andrew Raycroft and David Aebsicher.

Like I said before. PRICE ALREADY WON THE CALDER!! :clap:

I would not trade Price for any of those players. Gretzky didn't win the Calder trophy either. No biggie

He will be the best player of all the nominees in the next 10 years anyway

For all the reasons stated above, I have no problem with Price missing out on rookie of the year, it's a fairly meaningless popularity contest anyway (not sour grapes, just how I've always felt about it). His reg season numbers over all are not spectacular. He sure has gained a fan club on CBC and TSN however. ^_^

For all the reasons stated above, I have no problem with Price missing out on rookie of the year, it's a fairly meaningless popularity contest anyway (not sour grapes, just how I've always felt about it). His reg season numbers over all are not spectacular. He sure has gained a fan club on CBC and TSN however. ^_^

Plus the fact that it would have been the most boring speech in NHL history.

"Thanks, It was a strong season and I appreciate the recognition, Mom, do we have any space for this in your basement?"

"Thanks, It was a strong season and I appreciate the recognition, Mom, do we have any space for this in your basement?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The same argument used against Toews is the same one that was surely used against Price - games played. Price only played 41 games, and only like 12 as the #1 guy. Yes, he played wonderfully once named the starter, but his stats were somewhat pedestrian before that. Before the All-Star break, his SV% was a modest .907 and his GAA was a whopping 2.90. That's half a season with numbers that don't make a Calder candidate.

Agreed. Had Price gotten about 10 extra starts, he would have been a candidate, but 41 starts isn'T enough!

I also think Toews was given a pass because he was injured. As for Price - I don't even think it was the number of starts necessarily. The spectre of a Calder nominee who was sent to the minors during the course of the season probably wasn't palatable, and weighed against him.

Haha, good call.

Or he'd completely piss off Toews/Kane/Backstrom and say something to the effect of, "This award means nothing to me. Maybe to the charity of little girls that Plekanec sponsors, or the other candidates, but I'm only interested in one award:

An Oscar."

Haha, good call.

Or he'd completely piss off Toews/Kane/Backstrom and say something to the effect of, "This award means nothing to me. Maybe to the charity of little girls that Plekanec sponsors, or the other candidates, but I'm only interested in one award:

An Oscar."

I LOLed at your signature!

BULLSHIT!

Carey was twice as valueable to his team then Kane and Toews were to theirs :angry:

Toews should not even be considered, that's just garbage.

If Carey leads this team all the way, then the NHL will be embarassed for not putting CP on the ballot.

BULLSHIT!

Carey was twice as valueable to his team then Kane and Toews were to theirs :angry:

If Carey leads this team all the way, then the NHL will be embarassed for not putting CP on the ballot.

It is not MVP rookie it is ROY.

My problem with Toews is this: if he is in the running in spite of not having as many games played as the other potential nominees, then why the hell isn't Price a nominee....because the only criteria that you could eliminate Price on is the lower number of games played. By including Toews, they've made it absolutely ridiculous for Price not to be nominated. Not that I'm surprised...NHL bastards.

Well if they included Price and not Toews, we'd have the same problem. Toews deserves it more than Mueller, who had the same number of points in 17 more games. The reasons that people have already given in this thread make a reasonable case for Toews being the third nominee ahead of Price.

Couldnt care less.

Yep. One less question for Carey to drone out a listless answer to.

If Carey leads this team all the way, then the NHL will be embarrassed for not putting CP on the ballot.

Why is it so awful that Toews got nominated? He had a better points per game average than Backstrom, who played much of the season with the game's best goal scorer. He missed 18 games? Big deal. Price spent time in the minors, in the middle of the season. How many Calder winners have been demoted like that? I'm not gonna check them all, but none in at least the last 10 years.

P.S. Playoffs don't count towards regular season awards, so him winning a Cup wouldn't reflect the award at all.