Pre-Series Thread

MMPL

Bring on the Flyers.

I want no part of the Rangers. The playoff experience of the Rangers is scary compared to the Flyers.

Shanahan, Jagr, Gomez, Drury and they have gone through ups and downs as a squad in the last couple of years.

Add to the fact that Lundqvist is WAY better than Martin Biron and I know who I am pulling for tonight.

Philly has alot of first round experience and a couple of guys that have gone a little further.

But a playoff tested veteran team with an elite level goalie or a team that finished last last season with less experience

and a mid level goalie? Easy decision

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as Guy lets them play, I have no worries on who we play. We won the East for a reason. Keep playing the speed and skill game and let them have a little fire-wagon fun.

If Price plays like he did last night they are capable of beating anybody

I would obviously prefer Philly. I want to hear Briere get booed everytime he is near the puck. Not to mention Biron is not near as good as King Henry.

Your going to hear Jagr get booed if we play the Rags anyway

The rest of their D is mostly physical guys like Randy Jones, Derian Hatcher and Jason Smith.

The goaltending is nothing special, yet not a weakness.

those D are the weakness.

Biron is a fine goalie, but he is totally beatable.

those D are the weakness.

Biron is a fine goalie, but he is totally beatable.

Yes, and Randy Jones is far from a physical defenseman. Of course he got the goon tag after that unfortunate collision with Bergeron.

and Biron is similar to Huet. Decent, but not anything special. He's really only been good for 2 games this series.

Oh, I want our "typical visor wearing French guys" to shove it up Avery's a**. It could very well be Lapierre's biggest moment if we get that matchup vs. the Rags. He hasn't completely asserted himself as one of the league's pests, but he really could after that matchup.

My dream matchup for Round 3 is Montreal-Washington, so I hope we play the Rags. I don't fear the Flyers, and I think the Rags are a more difficult challenge, but hey... nothing's easy. There are only 8 teams left so you gotta be prepared for quality and meet the challenges presented.

And yeah, we went 4-0 vs. Philly this year... just like we went 8-0 vs. Boston and still got pushed to 7. Regular season matchups don't matter much, but that miracle comeback was the last game vs. the Rangers this season so I definitely feel we can beat them.

simonus, those D are considered pylons in the new NHL. From what I've seen of them, they are decent at moving their feet for guys their size. They need to replace one of those guys (maybe Hatcher) with another puckmoving, mobile defenceman, but for now, it is still a decent D core. It's the forward core that is really scary. I don't fear Philly at all though:

Bring on the Flyers.

I want no part of the Rangers. The playoff experience of the Rangers is scary compared to the Flyers.

Shanahan, Jagr, Gomez, Drury and they have gone through ups and downs as a squad in the last couple of years.

Add to the fact that Lundqvist is WAY better than Martin Biron and I know who I am pulling for tonight.

Philly has alot of first round experience and a couple of guys that have gone a little further.

But a playoff tested veteran team with an elite level goalie or a team that finished last last season with less experience

and a mid level goalie? Easy decision

The main reason why we can own Philly and why the Rangers would own us is because of the style of play those two teams play. This year, we are the masters of run and gun hockey, meaning that if anyone tries that against us, we'll come out on top. That happens to be the general philosophy of the Flyers, offence, offence, offence, energy and hitting. We play that same style and we own that style. Philly would either have to change up their gameplan (never a good thing to have to do in middle of the playoffs) or hope they catch us playing poorly.

The Rangers play the same style as the Bruins but even better. Their philosophy is trap, trap, trap, get a break and one of their offensive weapons'll bury it. The Rangers will be able to play their style without adapting to us. I'm not saying we wouldn't stand a chance... but they would really give us a tough time - all the trapping teams do. The way for us to beat them is to play dump and chase. Let the fourth line play a lot, chip it in and then have Kostopoulos and his crew hit their D to pieces.

Philly might have a good team on paper, but their coach is horrible. Carbo could outcoach Stevens with his eyes closed. Philly wants so much to be something they are not, they forget to play to their strength. And their D isn't that great.

As far as the Rangers go, I'd rather get them in the 3rd round than in the 2nd. Because the top NY players are old and I think our youth would go better against them later rather than sooner in the playoffs. But either way, I think that if we have a huge game 1, we could really put lot of doubt in the Rangers mind, especially keeping in mind The Comeback in our last game against them.

From the beginning i was hoping for a Flyer matchup, rather than a Ranger matchup.

The Flyers play a much different style. More offensive and gritty. Will take many penalties, but are weaker defensively and in goal. The Habs speedy forwards can definitely handle the Flyers D. Would expect to be a higher scoring series. The Flyers may try and rough up the Habs after seeing some of the B's success in doing so.

The Rangers have a top-notch tender and play much better defence. And their forwards seem to do the job defensively and wait for their chances. The Habs do no seem to match up as well against the Rangers.

Either way, i think the Habs have a great chance to advance to the Conference final.

Your going to hear Jagr get booed if we play the Rags anyway

Trust me on this one, Jagr won't get booed, that Idiot Avery will!

I would also rather face the Flyers in the 2nd round. The Rangers scare me!

Edited by Habsfan

It's destiny guys, we play the Rangers and we'll win, here's why:

1. Rangers because when was the last time time we saw such a nice guy in coach Bruce Boudreau? True gentleman, no pretenses. He deserves to make it. "The meek shall ....."

2. Washington playing at home tonight and their whole run this season parallels the Habs. Can't see Philly winning now, they are demoralized and scared going into Washington.

3. Our first round against Boston was so we too, a team of destiny, can be prepared to play the way we need to, to beat Jagr and company. Carbonneau was being trained at the hands of Julien on how to beat the Rangers offence. The only difference is, unlike Boston, we have our own guns. Let the 2nd and 3rd lines hit, hit and then hit some more, wear out their top 2 lines, while ours get the points. Why will ours get the points? Because they learned from the Boston series how to play through the hits and adapt to win. That 6-5 comeback against NYR in the regular season? That too was pre-ordained so that the guys would have confidence in the play-offs knowing they can beat the Rangers and more importantly, Lundquist.

4. Carbonneau's lucky tie

5. No God in the Universe would ever allow a colossal prick like Avery to beat our Habs

There you have it - MTL/NYR and WASH/PENS. Outcome? Need to wait and see.

Some dude called John Titor just emailed me to say we'll be playing the Rangers on Thursday, so I figured I'd jump on the lead and make the game thread.

No factual evidence, of course, and the Philly/Caps game hasn't even started, but this fellow says he time travelled back from the future. He says that the preparation is everything, and the season series (1-3) means nothing because one was an OT loss, the other was a 5 goal comeback with a shoot-out win (so it could easily have been 2-2).

habswin.jpg

alg_sakukoivu.jpg

Barry Melrose previews Habs-Rags series

Edited by TheAussiePosse

you can change that to Habs Vs Philly !!

Believe me, I'd love to, but that's just not how time-travel or jinxing works.

Until then, we just have to have faith in John Titor.

www.johntitor.com

You scared me. I wasn't 100% sure the game was at 7, I thought maybe I'd missed it and we were set to play the Rangers.