Pre-Series Thread

MMPL

Last 3 Stanley Cup finals have featured a Canadian Team.

Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa.

Hopefully this year it will be out turn. :clap:

As long as they dont end up finishing how those three did in the Finals that would be acceptable.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Key to success against Flyers.

2 first game home, Carbo will send Komo-Markov against Brière all the time.

Brière like's to play behind the net and on the right side. Komo will take care of him.

Keep the basta Hartnell away from Price, he usually comes from the right side. Hammer,

Bouillon should take him. The best option not to see him is to play at the other end of the ice.

Markov has to be better than Timmonen.

In the same way Timmonen should be pressured in the middle zone, don't let him skate freely like

Washington did. Same for Richards and Carter.

Use the speed especially against Smith and Hatcher.

Get that power play going, discipline and stay strong in PK that what has killed Washington.

As long as they dont end up finishing how those three did in the Finals that would be acceptable.

exactly. being in the finals doesn't mean that you'll be there the next year. I think the last team that went to the final twice in a row was the Devils( or dallas) and thats like 8-9 years ago.

Look at all those teams, they were Duds the next year. I don't want montreal to live the same thing.

Key to success against Flyers.

2 first game home, Carbo will send Komo-Markov against Brière all the time.

Brière like's to play behind the net and on the right side. Komo will take care of him.

Keep the basta Hartnell away from Price, he usually comes from the right side. Hammer,

Bouillon should take him. The best option not to see him is to play at the other end of the ice.

Markov has to be better than Timmonen.

In the same way Timmonen should be pressured in the middle zone, don't let him skate freely like

Washington did. Same for Richards and Carter.

Use the speed especially against Smith and Hatcher.

Get that power play going, discipline and stay strong in PK that what has killed Washington.

damn right, I think our speed over their Dmen is the key in this serie, this and a solid Carey Price.

exactly. being in the finals doesn't mean that you'll be there the next year. I think the last team that went to the final twice in a row was the Devils( or dallas) and thats like 8-9 years ago.

Look at all those teams, they were Duds the next year. I don't want montreal to live the same thing.

I think he may have ment that none of those teams won the cup. Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa all lost in the final series. You do make a good point though, lets hope this is not the habs peak year...

GO HABS GO

Notes of interest:

Our top three hitters (Komisarek, Hamrlik and Bouillion) massively outhit the Flyers' top hitters:

Mike Komisarek (266), Francis Bouillon (168) and Roman Hamrlik (138)

vs

Jason Smith (142), Scott Hartnell (110) and Mike Richards (110).

(Note that ours are all D, while two of theirs are forwards).

So we'll face more aggressive forwards, and the way our D was running around in our own end against the Bruins even before they figured out how to cycle against us, I'm not anticipating good things.

During the regular season, their PP was almost as good as ours (second overall), but their PK was in the top 10, while ours was middling. Come playoffs, we've both reversed our special teams fortunes.

We also gotta watch out for Mike Richards, who had 5 shorthanded goals this season, and will burn our PP QBs if they don't smarten up. And Hatcher is a big guy who will be placed on their left on the PK, to do a Chara and use his stick to shorten Kovalev's skating area on the PP. It worked for Boston, and no doubt Philly will realise that's what they gotta do to kill our previously lethal PP.

I'm personally glad we start so early, as it also means the Flyers (who have just played 2 games in 3 days) will now play 3 games in 4 days. We need to take advantage of them being out of puff. There is a two day break after game 4, so if we need it, we can get more rest then.

Fingers crossed we won't.

Our top three hitters (Komisarek, Hamrlik and Bouillion) massively outhit the Flyers' top hitters:

True, but the Flyers are bunch of Dirty hitters! Cheap shot artists!

I'm personally glad we start so early, as it also means the Flyers (who have just played 2 games in 3 days) will now play 3 games in 4 days. We need to take advantage of them being out of puff. There is a two day break after game 4, so if we need it, we can get more rest then.

Agreed! there's no reason why we shouldn't be heading back to Philly with a 2-0 lead. The Flyers should be tired tomorrow and we should be in fine form!

The early plans by Stevens has the Carter line against the Plex line and the Richards line against the Koivu line.

Will probably means that the Smoke line would find itself matched-up against the Briere line, with Komo/Marky at the D. I don't really have a problem with that. I got the feeling that Begin would love nothing more than to hit Briere every chance he gets.

The early plans by Stevens has the Carter line against the Plex line and the Richards line against the Koivu line.

Will probably means that the Smoke line would find itself matched-up against the Briere line, with Komo/Marky at the D. I don't really have a problem with that. I got the feeling that Begin would love nothing more than to hit Briere every chance he gets.

I would love nothing more than Begin hitting Briere every chance he gets. I also want Kostopolous and Lapierre getting under Prospal's skin, because without Prospal, Briere does nothing.

Any word if Gagne is back in game 3?

Any word if Gagne is back in game 3?

Gagné is out for what remains of the playoffs. I know someone who knows him. It's about his 7th concussion, he's brain dead, one concussion away from being Lindros.

Well that's reassuring. I'd hate to see what bringing Bergeron back last round would have done for the B's, and the same applies to Gagne and the Flyers.

I wonder if we'll get any fights this series?

Damn, I am going to the Raptors game tomorrow.

Half of me is hoping the Raps get blown out early so I can hit the bar at the ACC

to watch the Habs game.

Half of me is hoping the Raps get blown out early so I can hit the bar at the ACC

to watch the Habs game.

They show habs games at the ACC!? :huh::huh:

Wow, i doubt they would ever show a leaf game at the bell centre, unless we played the laffs.

Wow, i doubt they would ever show a leaf game at the bell centre, unless we played the laffs.

Well we don't have a basketball team playing at the Bell centre while an NHL playoff game involving the last Canadian team alive is underway.

to watch the Habs game.

They show habs games at the ACC!?

I was thinking the same thing!! I was suprised to hear that!

Well, Wamsley I hope for your sake that the Raptors are down by 20 after the 1st quarter! ;):D

They have 2 bars at the ACC that show hockey while the basketball game is on.

One is right behind my section and one is a brewery called Lord Stanley's Mug LOL, interesting name considering the CUp will never be in that building.

Has anybody seen a series prediction calling for a Flyers victory? Everything I have read has been Habs in 5, Habs in 6, Habs in 7.

Philly has a lot of name forwards but playoff hockey is won from the back end out and that is where they are most suspect.

I hope Gainey and Carbo have talked to Walkom about the Flyers crashing the crease like the Bruins brought attention to the diving.

The Flyers fans I have talked to seem to feel that the Flyers are just way to physical for the Habs. I don't see it.

Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev, S. Kostitsyn, Pleks, Begin, Kosto, Lapierre, Dandy, Lats, Smoke did not back away from physical confrontation

late in the Bruins series and if the D could handle the Bruins ferocious forecheck, I am less than concerned about the Flyers.

I think ultimately Price will be the difference in the series

I think ultimately Price will be the difference in the series

I think Price will be a major difference but I also think coaching will come into play. Claude Julien managed to get his team to buy into a system of shutting down the neutral zone and his PK, for whatever reason, almost completely shut down our PP. It almost worked.

I don't think John Stevens is on Julien's level, and I don't think he has the personnel to do it either. That and Philly's undisciplined play (seriously hartnell has to be one of the least disciplined players i've seen) will be their downfall. Let's hope Koivu and Skost. limit the minors though because Philly's PP is a force.

I'm going with Habs in 6.

As much as it people said it was coaching, i'll disagree a bit. Markov playing hurt isn't helping the PP. Not having Koivu wasn't helping the PP, people playing out of position didn't help either.

The Bruins have played that way all year, they stepped up and the habs didn't skate and play there game. Numerous interviews from players said the same thing.

Philly is a similar style to the habs, the difference will be who plays their game, who doesn't take bad penalties and simply who wants it more. Price will be solid so will Byron.

The big guns need to show up for this series. Kovalev, Koivu and Markov

As much as it people said it was coaching, i'll disagree a bit. Markov playing hurt isn't helping the PP. Not having Koivu wasn't helping the PP, people playing out of position didn't help either.

The Bruins have played that way all year, they stepped up and the habs didn't skate and play there game. Numerous interviews from players said the same thing.

Philly is a similar style to the habs, the difference will be who plays their game, who doesn't take bad penalties and simply who wants it more. Price will be solid so will Byron.

The big guns need to show up for this series. Kovalev, Koivu and Markov

If Price and Biron are a wash in this series it will go 7. Biron is overrated and I don't think Philly's D is as good as the Habs.

Washington caused them all type of problems with essentially one line, we will see how they deal with a more balanced attack.

The Flyers' forwards are a lot more dangerous than Boston's, and how we deal with them will probably decide the series.

Also, if they silence Kovalev, we're probably screwed - his 80% scoring probability (51 points in 64 career games vs Philly) is essential for us to win, especially if they're line-matching.