Habs vs. Flyers | Game Thread | Game 1

Fanpuck33

I think it's bad luck for me to do one, but it doesn't seem like it'll get up otherwise.

flyers200.gif@ montreal200.gif

"To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high."

gallery26.jpg

Let's lift the torch, play hard, and get this series started on the right foot.

Series tied 0-0

The Habs look to pick up the important first game.

No expected lineup changes for Montreal.

Gametime: Thursday at 7 PM

TV: CBC, RDS

Radio: CJAD, CKAC

Forcaster's Tale of the Tape

TSN Ice Chips

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biron's technique leaves him out of position alot and he relies heavily on reflexes. I am sure he will have a couple of games where he looks brilliant but in the end he will cost them goals with poor positioning, poor rebound control and lack of defensive support.

If Price maintains anything resembling the level he did in round 1 they will win the series.

Everybody is assuming that Philly will outhit and manhandle the Canadiens and that the Habs still have tiny forwards. It is a myth. Kovalev, Koivu, Higgins and A. Kostitsyn are very strong on the puck and the majority of the forwards are tireless workers.

Add to the fact that Komisarek and Hamrlik are going to make the Philly forwards pay for every inch of ice they get. Washington's D is hardly physical. Let's see how badly the Flyers will pay the price. Every game the Habs played Philly this year the Flyers got frustrated and their offensive gameplan consisted of throwing it on net and crashing the crease because they could not create off the rush.

I think that a lot of respect is being tossed their way because of what Boston did to Montreal. They are getting respect that Boston earned.

I don't know about everybody else, but I saw a no-hitter in the first round between the Caps and Flyers. Guys flying around and tons of open ice. We all know that Montreal can play both ways. I think Montreal can beat them in a physical grinding series and I think they can beat them in an open ice affair. I can't say the same for Philly just yet.

Perception is not reality. Flyer fans perceive that they defeated a 3 seed in 7 hard fought games and won a game on foreign ice to do it in Game 7 and they perceive the Habs as having almost choked against an inferior opponent in round 1. The reality is the Flyers beat a team in 7 games that had the same amount of points as the team the Habs struggled with and the Flyers beat a team that they finished ahead of in the standings.

I don't think it will be a blow out, but I think the better more balance team will win.

Price said himself though that as the playoffs go on, that's how games will be won - by throwing the puck on net, and hoping it goes in off the guys in front, or put in on a rebound. We apparently can't do those types of goals.

But the Flyers, like the Habs, were up 3 games to 1, and let their opponent come back to game 7. The difference between us might be that, in our game 7, we crushed the opponent like a beetle. The Flyers got lucky with their 2nd goal, and with the penalty call in OT.

Our problem is whether that luck stays with them through our series.

Nice thread. Minimalist, efficient, effective.

I just hope we don't get any injuries tonight, and don't give up more than 3 goals. I don't want a hole in our dike so early in the series that sets a precedent, if not a benchmark, for all following games. We set the standard early, keep this low-scoring (at least, from the Flyer's POV), and we could sneak through pretty simply.

Good job on the thread, simple but meaningful.

Off ice it's the greatest advantage the Habs own over every other team in the league.

We have a tradition of hard workers, good talent and great goalies.

I wish Markov will step up as he can, he is our number 1 defensemen.

Price said himself though that as the playoffs go on, that's how games will be won - by throwing the puck on net, and hoping it goes in off the guys in front, or put in on a rebound. We apparently can't do those types of goals.

But the Flyers, like the Habs, were up 3 games to 1, and let their opponent come back to game 7. The difference between us might be that, in our game 7, we crushed the opponent like a beetle. The Flyers got lucky with their 2nd goal, and with the penalty call in OT.

Our problem is whether that luck stays with them through our series.

I found that is all Philly was doing though.

I am sure that the series will be close, but the Flyers are not going to trap so it is going to come down to which D handles the incoming forwards

better, which D can better handle the forecheck and create speed through the neutral zone off outlet opportunities and which team gets the better special teams and goaltending.

Philly's bottom pairing D are suspect in terms of footspeed and passing ability. Special teams could be a toss up but the Flyers have shown a lack

of discipline all season and Price although inexperienced was fairly dominant for most of the series. I don't know if you can say the same for Biron.

Edited by Wamsley01

just hope we don't get any injuries tonight

Knowing how rough and dirty the Flyers play, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our players fall during this series!

I feel like we match up really well against the Flyers. Both teams have an elite group of forwards. I'd say we probably have the depth advantage, but you could go either way in comparing Briere, Richards, Hartnell, Carter, Prospal vs Kovalev, Koivu, Plekanec, Higgins, Kostitsyn. Actually, you might have to give the slight upper hand to Philly. But defense? We have the clear advantage, and in goal Price has a higher ceiling than Biron. I think we won't be relying quite so much on our grinder line this series, and our skilled guys will step up.

That's the goofiest incarnation of death I've ever seen.
It's from EA NHL2002 - you can super impose any face you wish on the face - this was a skull and that's how it turned out. Unfortunately it automatically produces the eyes. I doctered it in photoshop to get rid of the eyes. Maybe I'll upload that and edit the pic.

Plaster this guy into the boards numerous times tonight:

hamburgler305.jpg

Good luck tonight guys. Remember.... Philadelphia is GUARENTEED to win. ;)

I thought Price was amazing in the Boston series except those two third periods. He is tracking the puck much better and I don't think I saw bobblehead around much at all. I don't think it's fair to put all the pressure on him being the deciding factor in this series, our defensive has to keep the shots from the outside.

Philly can pass the puck a lot better then Boston and they have one thing the B's didn't have ....Snipers....

Since Carey is more of a positional goaltender we can't let guys have too much time with the puck in our own end, and all those breakaways we gave up in the first round ? Can't happen in this series....Richards, Brierre, Lupol will bury them.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!

WHO'S THE MAN?

if we score more goals than philly i think we will take game one....

I think you're on to something there ...

Maybe if we give up less goals than Philly, we can take game one.

I mean ... could it really be that simple? The most complex sport in the history of earth boiled down to that?

Naaaaaaaah ^_^